ADVERTISEMENT

who can we blame

lorenaimee

Sophomore
Gold Member
Mar 28, 2006
Columbia City, Indiana
Please! Let's blame the right people for AA 's actions. Many posters want to blame Coaches, Athletic Directors, IU, H.School, Jr. H.School and Kindergarten teachers, as well as every other person who had any interaction in Antonio's life. IT IS HIS CHOICE and HIS FAULT PERIOD. Don't push it off on anyone else but him.

Please! Let's blame the right people for AA 's actions. Many posters want to blame Coaches, Athletic Directors, IU, H.School, Jr. H.School and Kindergarten teachers, as well as every other person who had any interaction in Antonio's life. IT IS HIS CHOICE and HIS FAULT PERIOD. Don't push it off on anyone else but him.

I'm surprised Bush or Obama's name hasn't been thrown out there yet

Ok, but this is becoming too routine. Multiple off the court issues with the basketball program. A women's coach resigning under dubious circumstances. It leads people to ponder if there are bigger problems at IU.

Blame his custodial parent(s)/guardian(s). They raised the knucklehead and taught
him sh*t for common sense.

It's very simple. Blame his parents or himself. Now if his arrest leads to other players being involved....at that time we can have a discussion about CKW or more importantly...Fred Glass.

Ok, but this is becoming too routine. Multiple off the court issues with the basketball program. A women's coach resigning under dubious circumstances. It leads people to ponder if there are bigger problems at IU.

IU needs to make sure that it doesn't bury its head in the sand, what with Davis' and Hanner's departure for smoking dope - again - and now Allen's all-in venture into the illegal drug culture . . . and economy.

If a drug use/sale and/or manufacture culture is taking hold with connections to IU's major athletic programs then Glass's and the coaches' jobs will be on the line sooner or later, either directly because of that culture or indirectly because the programs' performance will eventually decline.

Blame his custodial parent(s)/guardian(s). They raised the knucklehead and taught
him sh*t for common sense.
And these highly rated knuckleheads and other news makers that have come and gone are all from Indianapolis of all places.....Devin Davis, Yogi Ferrell, Tre Roberson, David Kenney, Antonio Allen and Caleb Cornett. Seems a bit disproportionate.

And these highly rated knuckleheads and other news makers that have come and gone are all from Indianapolis of all places.....Devin Davis, Yogi Ferrell, Tre Roberson, David Kenney, Antonio Allen and Caleb Cornett. Seems a bit disproportionate.

I was born, raised, and currently live in Indianapolis (of all places) and I have made many poor choices (and a few good ones) in my life and I am accountable for those choices and accept the consequences of my decisions. Just because I am a Ben Davis alum ('65) and an IU alum does not mean that I am naturally inclined to make poor choices because of the school I attended or where I was born. We all make decisions, every day, and no one else is responsible for those decisions than the person making them. Ben Davis is a great school and has a great athletic program but when you have over 4,000 students in one place (or more than 40,000 in B'town) you will be hard pressed to find that everyone is a saint or even makes good decisions all the time.

I hate that this life has been destroyed by poor decisions and I hate that those poor decisions have cast a negative shadow on Ben Davis, Indianapolis, and IU. I hope this young man accepts responsibility for his decisions/actions and that he gets help. I sincerely hope the recruiting process hasn't taken an unrecoverable hit from this sad, sad event - just when there seemed to be momentum building.

People can lament that IU is taking on "poor character" kids but we need to remember that there were many other schools also doing their best to land these kids as prized recruits.
It's not the school's fault that these kids made incredibly poor decisions.
In this culture, you practically get rewarded for bad behavior.

what these arrests call into question is whether IU's random
drug screen program is working? I understand that merely
because someone is a retailer that doesn't automatically mean
the person also simultaneously samples these illegal drugs.

IU needs to make sure that it doesn't bury its head in the sand, what with Davis' and Hanner's departure for smoking dope - again - and now Allen's all-in venture into the illegal drug culture . . . and economy.

If a drug use/sale and/or manufacture culture is taking hold with connections to IU's major athletic programs then Glass's and the coaches' jobs will be on the line sooner or later, either directly because of that culture or indirectly because the programs' performance will eventually decline.

Athletes were doing drugs when I was there 20 plus years ago. I'm not sure how coaches could be held responsible for that.

In looking at twitter, most players and former players seem to be in a state of disbelief. People inside of the program seem to be as surprised as fans are.

Miller should have been vetted better. He had his issues before being hired by IU. He just brought them with him. That one is on Glass. Not sure the others are.

Miller should have been vetted better. He had his issues before being hired by IU. He just brought them with him. That one is on Glass. Not sure the others are.
Background and reference checks have commonly been the responsibility of the search firm, and one was engaged when Miller was hired.

Background and reference checks have commonly been the responsibility of the search firm, and one was engaged when Miller was hired.

That's all fine and good, but Fred hired him.

In big boy sports where the AD gets big boy pay he also has to take some responsibility when things go bad.

That's all fine and good, but Fred hired him.

In big boy sports where the AD gets big boy pay he also has to take some responsibility when things go bad.
I'm not saying Glass doesn't bear responsibility for bad hires (he would and does accept it), but the reference and background checking is done by others. Miller checked out okay. By the way, so did Wilson.

A word or two about random drug tests:

Marijuana detection is, to some extent, a function of an individual's metabolism. A urine test for an occasional user will usually detect use 3 or 4 days afterwards. A heavy user can have a positive test more than a month later.

The active ingredient in marijuana is THC. THC causes the high. Once in the system the liver breaks down the THC into THC-COOH. The drug test is for THC-COOH - not for THC. If you test positive for marijuana, it does not mean you have the active ingredient THC in your system.

Regarding heroin, cocaine, meth, ect..., most of these (excluding PCP) are undetectable after a couple of days. So it a kid want try heroin or other drugs that might kill them, they just have to make sure they are unavailable for testing (e.g. summer vacation). Ironic that a kid might try cocaine rather than pot because it is less detectable.

You can be sure that all of the athletes using drugs are aware of the drug detection times. And if they are not, well, its another indicator that maybe school is not for them. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that the time an athlete is most likely to use drugs is after a "negative" drug test. Unless they are going to follow up with another test two days later. And two days after that......

So how effective is a random drug test? Well, you can be dead drunk and pass - just don't drive to the test. You could have used heroin last weekend and still pass. But if you got "high in Colorado", as John Denver used to sing about (I think he was talking about a different high), you might end up playing hoops somewhere is Tennessee.

I'm not saying Glass doesn't bear responsibility for bad hires (he would and does accept it), but the reference and background checking is done by others. Miller checked out okay. By the way, so did Wilson.

If Miller checked out, the company hired to do the check should be out of business. The issue Curt resigned over was an issue at his other stop too.

If Miller checked out, the company hired to do the check should be out of business. The issue Curt resigned over was an issue at his other stop too.
Not the specific "occurrence" that led to his separation from IU.

Does anybody remember the little drug scandal that IU had under Bob Knight back in the late 70s? Don't recall all the details but something about some players smoking dope and Knight called on one of the players (was it Butch Carter??) to give up names?

I guess the point is even coaches with high standards have kids go astray.

A word or two about random drug tests:

Marijuana detection is, to some extent, a function of an individual's metabolism. A urine test for an occasional user will usually detect use 3 or 4 days afterwards. A heavy user can have a positive test more than a month later.

The active ingredient in marijuana is THC. THC causes the high. Once in the system the liver breaks down the THC into THC-COOH. The drug test is for THC-COOH - not for THC. If you test positive for marijuana, it does not mean you have the active ingredient THC in your system.

Regarding heroin, cocaine, meth, ect..., most of these (excluding PCP) are undetectable after a couple of days. So it a kid want try heroin or other drugs that might kill them, they just have to make sure they are unavailable for testing (e.g. summer vacation). Ironic that a kid might try cocaine rather than pot because it is less detectable.

You can be sure that all of the athletes using drugs are aware of the drug detection times. And if they are not, well, its another indicator that maybe school is not for them. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that the time an athlete is most likely to use drugs is after a "negative" drug test. Unless they are going to follow up with another test two days later. And two days after that......

So how effective is a random drug test? Well, you can be dead drunk and pass - just don't drive to the test. You could have used heroin last weekend and still pass. But if you got "high in Colorado", as John Denver used to sing about (I think he was talking about a different high), you might end up playing hoops somewhere is Tennessee.

Don't get high on your own supply. A test won't help a dealer.

Can't blame the coaches for this one, IMO.

That being said, on a somewhat unrelated note, this can't be used as yet another excuse if IU doesn't have a winning season. Wilson can't be 0-for-His IU Career, and coach here indefinitely. Time to win.

I was born, raised, and currently live in Indianapolis (of all places) and I have made many poor choices (and a few good ones) in my life and I am accountable for those choices and accept the consequences of my decisions. Just because I am a Ben Davis alum ('65) and an IU alum does not mean that I am naturally inclined to make poor choices because of the school I attended or where I was born. We all make decisions, every day, and no one else is responsible for those decisions than the person making them. Ben Davis is a great school and has a great athletic program but when you have over 4,000 students in one place (or more than 40,000 in B'town) you will be hard pressed to find that everyone is a saint or even makes good decisions all the time.

I hate that this life has been destroyed by poor decisions and I hate that those poor decisions have cast a negative shadow on Ben Davis, Indianapolis, and IU. I hope this young man accepts responsibility for his decisions/actions and that he gets help. I sincerely hope the recruiting process hasn't taken an unrecoverable hit from this sad, sad event - just when there seemed to be momentum building.
I use to live in Indy as well. Now in Btown but been commuting there for over 25 years. Not a bad reflection on BD, IU or Indy but a bad reflection on AA. I am kidding of course but maybe KW should recruit west of Terre Haute, east of Richmond and South of Atlanta.....lol. Very strange that the biggest disappointments are "local" kids.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT