ADVERTISEMENT

When on the road before I retired, listening to Rush one day.

Don't forget . . .

SOLAR!!
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Maybe . . .

might be that the Saudis - and maybe Iran - see defeating ISIS as their priority too, even at the expense of a temporary drop in oil prices.

The article linked in mjvcaj's post below points out some interesting stuff about how the Saudis have shot themselves in the foot, too, because at $100/bbl alternative drilling methods for oil, plus alternative energy sources, plus efficiency in use of oil products all become priorities. Greed breeds innovation . . . good for us.

Like I stated below.

I am putting off my heating and cooling upgrade as long as possible to take advantage of the better technology that comes on line. I want geothermal, solar and wind generation integrated with access to the grid. I will have a old cast iron wood kitchen stove in the sun room. Gas logs in the living room. Solar and wind to limit grid need. My goal is to add to the grid and get a check. That is the future or at least I am hopeful it is. I am a closet Green. Walking or bicycle make up the majority of my weekly transportation needs. I only drive to Kroger and Indiana Sports. Hence a 15 year old vehical with low miles for it's age and well maintained.
uzi.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 12/12 10:54 PM by Rockport Zebra

It might just be a perfect storm.

I truly beleive it is going to really help the middle class which will only spur growth and stock appreciation. Buy my advice to everyone is to buy.

Maybe not

There is a legitimate body of thought that oil is not a fossil fuel but comes from below the fossil layer as a byproduct of the Earth's magma reactions. It then percolates up. Thus we will have oil as long as we have an earth.

Indeed a minority view but more accepted now than before because of some very deep well production.

That is not a legitimate view.

It has always been a minority view, and over time it has become less accepted, not more accepted.

It's technically possible that a very, very, very TINY amount of our oil is not biogenic, but the evidence isn't strong, and there is no chance whatsoever that the amount is significant.

Also, this does NOT mean that we will always have oil so long as we have an earth. Even if the oil were created abiogenically, it would be created from carbon sequestered in the mantle since the formation and initial cooling of the earth. That carbon is of a limited supply, and is not replenished.

There is no such thing as sustainable hydrocarbon fuels, no matter how and where they are created.

goat

A geologist spent a couple of

Hours explaining that me. His expertice is in how magma and volcanos work. Haven't done any other research about it. FWIW nothing is sustainable, the only question is time.

Nothing's sustainable forever...

That's true. But some energy sources - like the sun - continue to replenish themselves (as an energy source, that is). Fossil fuels don't. Or, they do, but the time scale is so long as to be useless for us. The available energy from the sun - once we learn how to effectively harness it - is so far beyond anything humans could possibly imagine. Every six minutes, the solar energy that reaches the Earth is the equivalent of all energy consumption on our planet for an entire year. That's just what currently hits the Earth. The sun gives out a year's worth of human energy consumption every 0.00000038 seconds. Our future - probably using solar sails to hold giant collecting satellites in geostationary polar orbits, which beam the energy to the poles using microwave lasers - depends on harnessing this insane amount of energy.

This is far distant future, though. On the scale of multiple centuries, probably.

Fossil fuels will run out. The sun will continue to chug along. When the sun finally does run out, our energy concerns will be irrelevant, anyway.

Your geologist is a quack. Renewable abiogenic oil is on the level of anti-vaxxers and other kooks. It's not just that they are a minority view; their views have no actual evidentiary support.

goat

"Your geologist is a quack."

Who pissed in your wine glass and said it was Chardonnay?

Here in Duckburg

Electrical and water usage efficiencies has caused a need for the same type of fees. My electric,water, trash and sewer are lower than the fees and tax.

50% cash 50% dividend payers.

My situation is very different than most in my generation. I am a triple dipper. That will allow me to continue to invest throughout retirement. If we could just win some football games life would be sweet.

Ironically

It's not uncommon to detect a bit of cat urine in a good wine. Although more common with Sauvignon Blanc, a stainless steel Chardonnay might also exhibit it.

Another fun aroma discovered when tasting Chardonnay is that of dirty socks.

Despite the connotations, both cat piss and dirty laundry can be welcome additions to a wine's palate.

Sorry if I offended, but it's a whacko theory and our energy future is too important to bank on whacko theories. If ever there was a place where the smart thing to do would be to think ahead and plan for the worst case scenario, it's energy production.

goat

No offense to me

I just brought up the theory, I'm not invested in it. You need to stop riding a fixie.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT