ADVERTISEMENT

Trey Laing in Portal

So... Nothin' from nothin' is... nothin'.
Well lost the opportunity that he could have been something.

Wonder where this puts us on scholarships. I think CCC 2.0 is on record as wanting a couple DTs and a safety (he wanted 1 before and now that Blidi left, safe to assume 2 now). So we may need to lose a few more to make room

Looks like we have one, possibly two scholarships available to work with in the Portal...

Obvious needs are at DT, ILB and FS, G/C, along with maybe another OT... That's 5 to 7... (thinking 2 DT's and 2 ILB's)...

I doubt we lose more than another 1 or 2 more voluntarily to the Portal by the end of Spring so we're going to end up thin somewhere...

Sounds like Cignetti feels comfortable with the current makeup of the OL so we may not see much movement there...; that leaves us with 3 glaring needs at DT, ILB, and FS...

Personally, I'd consider asking Lowery (currently at QB) to get some work at FS and see if he can get some PT there... He appears to be the odd man out at QB..., then we could focus on finding a DT and an ILB in the Portal...

If the current guys on the roster at the ILB position step up their game(s) we might be able to go with just picking up 2 DT's in the Portal (which might actually be the best use of the scholarships theoretically available at the end of Spring)...

Should be obvious (to the staff) by about practice 10 or 11 who's probably staying and who's going and where our areas of greatest need really are.

//All of the above is just my opinion//

I tend to agree with the evaluation period about who definitely stays and who should go. Just hope injuries don't dictate position needs in lieu of evaluation process. Lowery or Purcell both come from strong FB HS areas. I imagine neither are far away from playing D. I strongly believe in making your own luck. Cignetti fits that mold. He'll catch some more in the portal. Sure liked the way he presented the 2nd week of practice in the press conference.

Looks like we have one, possibly two scholarships available to work with in the Portal...

Obvious needs are at DT, ILB and FS, G/C, along with maybe another OT... That's 5 to 7... (thinking 2 DT's and 2 ILB's)...

I doubt we lose more than another 1 or 2 more voluntarily to the Portal by the end of Spring so we're going to end up thin somewhere...

Sounds like Cignetti feels comfortable with the current makeup of the OL so we may not see much movement there...; that leaves us with 3 glaring needs at DT, ILB, and FS...

Personally, I'd consider asking Lowery (currently at QB) to get some work at FS and see if he can get some PT there... He appears to be the odd man out at QB..., then we could focus on finding a DT and an ILB in the Portal...

If the current guys on the roster at the ILB position step up their game(s) we might be able to go with just picking up 2 DT's in the Portal (which might actually be the best use of the scholarships theoretically available at the end of Spring)...

Should be obvious (to the staff) by about practice 10 or 11 who's probably staying and who's going and where our areas of greatest need really are.

Is there any reason to believe Lowery would be able to play FS?

It will be a minor miracle keeping all of the QBs. if one does leaves, it may not be the one at the bottom of the list.

Lowry led his team to a state championship as a senior QB. In the championship game he led his team in passing yards, receiving yards AND rushing yards. I'm not too eager to push him away from QB just yet. I've felt hewas a real sleeper since he signed with us.

Lowry led his team to a state championship as a senior QB. In the championship game he led his team in passing yards, receiving yards AND rushing yards. I'm not too eager to push him away from QB just yet. I've felt hewas a real sleeper since he signed with us.
Wait what?

Reactions: vesuvius13
Is there any reason to believe Lowery would be able to play FS?

It will be a minor miracle keeping all of the QBs. if one does leaves, it may not be the one at the bottom of the list.
I honestly think that Tayven will transfer out as soon as he graduates. He ain't gonna play but he's already burned his free transfer coming from UT. So he'll need to do a grad transfer.

The only exception being if he is the solid #2 this year (assuming he doesn't win the job, which I don't think he will)

I honestly think that Tayven will transfer out as soon as he graduates. He ain't gonna play but he's already burned his free transfer coming from UT. So he'll need to do a grad transfer.

The only exception being if he is the solid #2 this year (assuming he doesn't win the job, which I don't think he will)

Tayven is a redshirt sophomore for next fall right? Redshirt at Tennessee and then played last year. I would be surprised if he is going to graduate until at least after this year (3 years of college). I wouldn't be shocked if he transfers as soon as he graduates though. Although the question then is "can he follow up after Rourke graduates by beating out Cherry?". Assuming we don't get Julian Lewis to flip, he may be able to play in 2025.

Of course, we could get the injury bug as we always seem to and he will play this year.

Tayven is a redshirt sophomore for next fall right? Redshirt at Tennessee and then played last year. I would be surprised if he is going to graduate until at least after this year (3 years of college). I wouldn't be shocked if he transfers as soon as he graduates though. Although the question then is "can he follow up after Rourke graduates by beating out Cherry?". Assuming we don't get Julian Lewis to flip, he may be able to play in 2025.

Of course, we could get the injury bug as we always seem to and he will play this year.
Yeah, he's a RS-So. I expect him to be around this season because if he has to do a season in residency if he leaves before, he would literally not play this year. I just don't see much point in him sticking around past that. I don't think he's got "it." But I think he's got a decent head on his shoulders and should know that if he graduates in 2 1/2 or 3 years he can move on & start over with 2 years of eligibility left.

The question is how things look after Rourke's gone. Next year.

Reactions: DANC and red hornet
Is Cignetti looking for some dline portal players right now? Someone to replace Blidi?

These types of questions should be addressed by this site's staffers. The football crowd isn't getting their $$$'s worth...do better!

A solid #2 is really satisfying.

Cig has said he's moved players from offense to defense in the past, with success and that he wants the best players on the field.

I wouldn't be surprised to see several position changes next Fall.

They can’t because there is union representing the players. The union and owners agreed to certain contracts points.

so the players just need to disband their union and then they can get the courts to give them a free for all?

At some point. pro players might start getting jealous of all the goodies NCAA players are getting.

Reactions: vesuvius13
i was referring to how it used to be. Courts have ruined college sports.

Why don't the courts claim nfl contracts are illegal and NFL players should be able to relocate every year? lol
This is the NCAA’s fault. They sat on their hands then had to scramble to establish policy. They let states start passing NIL laws instead of getting out ahead of it. The courts have decided the way they have because the NCAA didn’t have a thoughtful, coherent strategy

So he was throwing the ball to himself?

That IS impressive!

• Haha
Reactions: ESalum86
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT