ADVERTISEMENT

Trent Howland leaving....again

I liked his style of running but I surmise there will be more transfers coming. Kaelon Black, Justice Ellison and Josh Henderson will be key players in the backfield. I also imagine we may grab another RB in the portal.
Henderson isn't on the spring roster so I don't think he'll be playing next season for the Hoosiers. I can't see Cignetti picking up another RB as there are 6 scholarships on the roster with 4 of them have previous seasons going for 700+ total yards (Black, Lawton, Ellison, and I'm rounding up with Green having a 665 yard season). Roster spots will likely be going on the defensive side at lineman and safety.

Yeah, bummed, because Howland is a good back. I liked his power running. And he has a knack to find the seams.

But not surprised. He was not mentioned in the last presser where Coach Cig praised other running backs and remarked on liking what they are bringing. So my guess is just a matter of style for the offense. Not a power run offense.

If he's not going to be the feature back or 'a' feature back, he needs to go elsewhere for himself.

Good luck Trent! Thanks for being a Hoosier!

Yeah, bummed, because Howland is a good back. I liked his power running. And he has a knack to find the seams.

But not surprised. He was not mentioned in the last presser where Coach Cig praised other running backs and remarked on liking what they are bringing. So my guess is just a matter of style for the offense. Not a power run offense.

If he's not going to be the feature back or 'a' feature back, he needs to go elsewhere for himself.

Good luck Trent! Thanks for being a Hoosier!
Very good point about not being a power run offense.

He was not included when they interviewed running backs this week. Could be an indicator he was not up front.
  • Indiana running backs Kaelon Black and Justice Ellison, as well as wide receiver Myles Price, met the media on Thursday morning a week out of the Hoosiers' spring football game.
My guess is he knows exactly where he is with the new staff and decided to look elsewhere. Good luck to the kid.

I was hoping he'd be coached up as a pass protector by Cig and staff. Don't want smaller backs to get run over.
Also hoped he'd be able to catch out of the back field like the other backs Cig brought in. Sort of a Keith Byers take the swing pass and rumble. LOL,
Ahh well, that was all just pipe dreams mostly because I liked watching Trent play once he started getting carries. I think he's good. But I suspect if Coach Cig needed him he'd be around. So likely mutual.

I'll be interested to see Coach's opinion on this. He was disgruntled about Blidi. If he's fine now, then it'll be a little bit of wanting to have it both ways.

He was not included when they interviewed running backs this week. Could be an indicator he was not up front.
  • Indiana running backs Kaelon Black and Justice Ellison, as well as wide receiver Myles Price, met the media on Thursday morning a week out of the Hoosiers' spring football game.
My guess is he knows exactly where he is with the new staff and decided to look elsewhere. Good luck to the kid.
Or trent had already told the staff prior to making it public.

Like Phillip Bildi disappointed but wish Trent the best. Hope he finds a spot to fully develop his skills and future. I liked his power and ability to break tackles and push the pile. I am not overtly going to judge any decision and want Coach Cig and staff to develop the team in their image.

Like Phillip Bildi disappointed but wish Trent the best. Hope he finds a spot to fully develop his skills and future. I liked his power and ability to break tackles and push the pile. I am not overtly going to judge any decision and want Coach Cig and staff to develop the team in their image.
Good post! I’m disappointed as well, I thought Trent played well last year and would be a significant contributor this go around.

I wish Him the best, and hope He doesn't transfer to a School where He can play against Us for two Years and exact his revenge. I sincerely hope that He doesn't become the second coming of Sampson James and becomes a football nomad Who can't commit to something and never reaches his potential.

I hope Howland finds a good place to land that is out of the B1G although he is likely to land in the B1G. I don't feel bad about this as it is obvious both sides wanted this. Coach Cognetti and his staff should have the players they want to build the team around.

I hope Howland finds a good place to land that is out of the B1G although he is likely to land in the B1G. I don't feel bad about this as it is obvious both sides wanted this. Coach Cognetti and his staff should have the players they want to build the team around.
How is it obvious both sides wanted this?

Heard he was looking at Minnesota because they are run heavy. Bottom line is that he was in a 6 way battle here to gain minutes.
Black is good and combined with Lawton, they are playing a ton this year. The Green kid and the kid from Wake Forest ain’t slouches either. Both are legit Power 5 performers.

I hope Black and Lawton are good. Easier for a running back to look good against App State, Coastal Carolina, Marshall, than against Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State. Howland already looked good against B1G level. But doesn't matter, that ship has sailed.

I hope the RB room is up to it. Coach Cignetti seems to believe so. I don't see a star. Hopefully production translates.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT