ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Allen's Coordinator Hires

MMcCormick

Sophomore
Dec 7, 2004
Allen's hiring record on key hires. Do you see the pattern here? It's not hard to see why his team's have occasionally succeeded and often failed. If you want to build a successful organization don't put Tom Allen in charge of your HR department. Overall he's gone 3-9 which replicates his record in most seasons.

Defensive Coordinator (1 of 4)
1. Wommack (Good) (Inexperienced)
2. Charlton Warren (Weak) (Inexperienced)
3. Chad Wilt (Weak) (No experience)
4 Matt Guerreri (Weak) (Experienced but not particularly successful)

Offensive Coordinator (2 of 5)
1. Mike Debord (Average) (Very experienced)
2. Kalen Deboer (Outstanding) (Very experienced)
3. Nick Sheriddan (Terrible) (No experience)
4. Walt Bell (Terrible) (Experienced but a terrible track record)
5. Rod Carey (Likely Good hire) (Extremely experienced with strong track record on offense)

Allen's hiring record on key hires. Do you see the pattern here? It's not hard to see why his team's have occasionally succeeded and often failed. If you want to build a successful organization don't put Tom Allen in charge of your HR department. Overall he's gone 3-9 which replicates his record in most seasons.

5. Rod Carey (Likely Good hire) (Extremely experienced with strong track record on offense)
Nick Sheridan is a wash because DeBoer recommended him to coach Allen and coach wouldn't have gone against DeBoer based on how he improved IU's offense.

Nick Sheridan is a wash because DeBoer recommended him to coach Allen and coach wouldn't have gone against DeBoer based on how he improved IU's offense.
Sheridan had been in the program for plenty of time for Allen to know whether he should’ve been moved up to OC. Your characterization that he hired him simply because KD recommended him isn’t accurate at all.

Last edited:
Does he have the budget to make good hires? Not being sarcastic - I don't know the answer. Trying to understand if that's part of the issue why he ends up with hires like Bell and keeping guys like Hillel.

Does he have the budget to make good hires? Not being sarcastic - I don't know the answer. Trying to understand if that's part of the issue why he ends up with hires like Bell and keeping guys like Hillel.
It has very little to do with budget. At 800K a year you could hire the best offensive coordinator or defensive coordinator in the MAC and he'd have been better off than the hires he made. He seems to rely far too heavily on recommendations from others in the profession and personal relationships with other people while ignoring stats. If he literally just looked at which small school had great defensive stats and hired that guy without even interviewing he'd be better off than his process. I could name five guys who are in Indiana's budget who would have been a better hire than Matt Guerreri.

Keeping Hiller as long as he did was inexplicable. Hiring Walt Bell as offensive coordinator after the Sheridan fiasco was inexplicable.

Go back in time on this board and it was obvious here that both of these guys needed to be gone and yet they both kept their jobs until the middle of the following season.

Everybody on Tom Allen's staff knows he is on the hot seat and that seat is going to get hotter after next season when the cost of his buyout goes down, unless the Hoosiers win the next three games and make it to bowl game which gives him another automatic extension. And then there is the now ongoing issue of having to replace his starters by renting starters through the portal.

Reactions: Cap99
When I first got into management I had a mentor tell me one day, you will be judged more by the people you hire more than anything else you do. His point was the better the people you hire into key positions the better the anticipated outcome should be. This is something I've remembered over my career and I have my list of non-negotiables when I hire people into my organization. If you do make a bad hire you need to come to grips with it sooner and make the correction.

My biggest complaint of the Tom Allen era so far is in his inability to hire good people. The list above shows that. While our team might not be deep, its not devoid of talented players. Bell and Hiller were both disaster hires and set any momentum IU had back a few years.

I consider this a good thing on Coach to listen to others.

Some of my best hires came from reccomendations inside and outside of the organization.

I gotta be honest and I agree on giving Alan a pass on this one. Yes he wasn't great his first year but neither was Wommack. Problem is Nick's offense got worse while Wommack's went next level. So I get why he was hired and given a second year to prove himself.

This is my issue with CTA and ultimately why he shouldn't be retained. At this level of coaching, replacing coordinators is vital. If you have success (win), those guys move on and you have to make sound decisions. This is a basic foundation of leadership and one could argue that CTA has failed miserably.

This is my issue with CTA and ultimately why he shouldn't be retained. At this level of coaching, replacing coordinators is vital. If you have success (win), those guys move on and you have to make sound decisions. This is a basic foundation of leadership and one could argue that CTA has failed miserably.
Allen does a lot right. He runs a good program outside the lines, he recruits well, he is a good (not great) defensive coach. Like most head coaches it comes down to his hires. And to date he's really struggled there. I think he got the OC right hire (finally) and maybe Guerreri and he grow into a good team on defense (but Guerreri did not arrive as a complete take charge package that's for sure.)

Reactions: hozo4ultimate
The Bell hire and keeping Hillel that long were inexcusable given the need to turn the O around. Probably resulted in running off the running back coach. Allen needs to win at least 2 of the next 3 to survive after that one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT