ADVERTISEMENT

This is on Fred Glass

McRobbie doesn't give two shits about athletics so unless some of the big boosters start crying foul Glass ain't going nowhere. He screwed up two football hires and let Crean drive the program even further into the ground by keeping him around three years too long. The guy is a lawyer. He doesn't understand sports.

OMG, give it a rest and accept that Allen needs a few years before “final decisions” can be made on his results.

One difference about him is the defense is better, anyway you slice it and yesterday included. That is a foundation to build upon.

Allen’s accountability is refreshingly better Han past coaches. He points exactly to the cause, doesn’t make excuses and moves ahead. He owns it.

It is silly for people to think this IU team is totally loaded as if we are PSU level, and that we were expected to cruise to 8-4 or better this year, we weren’t.

That’s said, like many games in Wilson era, we seemingly now should/could have won 3 of the losses (both Michigan’s & MD) so the breakthrough clearly hasn’t happened.

Wilson had about 3 DC’s and 2-3 OC’s. It may require some tweaking no ahead. Maybe Allen should have a FT DC too. I also think he should “act like he’s been there before” a bit more than he looks when he’s jumping on a player bc of a takeaway, but for the sake of he program’s development, enough of the coach doesn’t know what he’s doing in his FIRST true season with team he inherited that was not a top 5 B10 team or his roster of recruits!

Reactions: IUXC68 and 76-1
OMG, give it a rest and accept that Allen needs a few years before “final decisions” can be made on his results.

One difference about him is the defense is better, anyway you slice it and yesterday included. That is a foundation to build upon.

Allen’s accountability is refreshingly better Han past coaches. He points exactly to the cause, doesn’t make excuses and moves ahead. He owns it.

It is silly for people to think this IU team is totally loaded as if we are PSU level, and that we were expected to cruise to 8-4 or better this year, we weren’t.

That’s said, like many games in Wilson era, we seemingly now should/could have won 3 of the losses (both Michigan’s & MD) so the breakthrough clearly hasn’t happened.

Wilson had about 3 DC’s and 2-3 OC’s. It may require some tweaking no ahead. Maybe Allen should have a FT DC too. I also think he should “act like he’s been there before” a bit more than he looks when he’s jumping on a player bc of a takeaway, but for the sake of he program’s development, enough of the coach doesn’t know what he’s doing in his FIRST true season with team he inherited that was not a top 5 B10 team or his roster of recruits!

I love how excited he gets, and the fire that he shows in interviews and on the sidelines

I am sick to death of Fred Glass
avoiding the responsibility for the failure of the IU football program.
There is no freaking excuse for this crap.
After 40+years of financial support, I am done.
Glass needs to go TOMORROW!
Glass never played, never coached, never hired a coach, never managed a coach, never ran an athletic department. Nothing. He's great at raising money and building things. But there's a reason why he's widely regarded as not being particularly good at his job. Hes simply not very good at it.

The problem with message boards is you can't always tell if you're reading the words of a troll as opposed to someone who actually believes the crap that they're writing.

I'm as disappointed as the next guy about yesterday's loss, but suggesting that the AD or HC should be fired eight games into a coach's tenure is inane. We were a mere 4.5 point favorite and lost to a Big Ten team on the road by 3. This wasn't Michigan losing at home to Appalachian State. Or IU hanging on to beat a 1-AA team at home because the opponent came up short on a two point conversion. For pete's sake, take a deep breath and chill out.

Glass never played, never coached, never hired a coach, never managed a coach, never ran an athletic department. Nothing. He's great at raising money and building things. But there's a reason why he's widely regarded as not being particularly good at his job. Hes simply not very good at it.
You can speak for yourself but don't pretend to speak for anyone else. "Widely regarded"? What an utter crock of shit.

You can speak for yourself but don't pretend to speak for anyone else. "Widely regarded"? What an utter crock of shit.
Oh, I recognize that some people are easily assuaged by capital projects and a breezy style, but Glass's results speak for themselves.

Put another way, what other Power 5 school would've dared to hire such a lightly qualified person to serve as their Athletic Director, and what other Power 5 school would tolerate such modest results? That's the crock of shit that you can't hope to satisfactorily explain or rationalize.

The problem with message boards is you can't always tell if you're reading the words of a troll as opposed to someone who actually believes the crap that they're writing.

I'm as disappointed as the next guy about yesterday's loss, but suggesting that the AD or HC should be fired eight games into a coach's tenure is inane. We were a mere 4.5 point favorite and lost to a Big Ten team on the road by 3. This wasn't Michigan losing at home to Appalachian State. Or IU hanging on to beat a 1-AA team at home because the opponent came up short on a two point conversion. For pete's sake, take a deep breath and chill out.
The main problem is TA shouldn't have been hired in the first place. So 1 game was too many. Most fans aren't going to give him the normal timeline. He's clearly way out of his league and if we don't change this quickly all the gains we made under Wilson will quickly be lost.

I am sick to death of Fred Glass
avoiding the responsibility for the failure of the IU football program.
There is no freaking excuse for this crap.
After 40+years of financial support, I am done.
Glass needs to go TOMORROW!
Glass has done fine with the whole sports programs and helped raise a lot of the money for the renovations. Everyone says he should go but give specific things that he has done wrong when it comes to the football program. Being a fan for over 40 years the football program it has never been a good program.

Reactions: IUXC68
Glass has done fine with the whole sports programs and helped raise a lot of the money for the renovations. Everyone says he should go but give specific things that he has done wrong when it comes to the football program. Being a fan for over 40 years the football program it has never been a good program.

He made two bad hires in football, which is the most important sport from a financial perspective. The guy doesn't understand sports. An AD needs to be judged by wins and losses and Glass has failed in that area.

Reactions: fpeaugh
This argument that he or anyone else isn't responsible for football because the program has been bad in the past is absurd. So it's just excused because we haven't been good in the past? It's a loser mentality and it's embarrassing. Nothing is going to change until people demand better.

Some people just go to much on emotion and thank god that people who actually run the program don't think like they do. If you just look at it closely and see if you fire TA this year then no coach in their right mind would come here. If you fire a coach after one year then who would come under those circustances.

Some people just go to much on emotion and thank god that people who actually run the program don't think like they do. If you just look at it closely and see if you fire TA this year then no coach in their right mind would come here. If you fire a coach after one year then who would come under those circustances.

Tom Allen won't get fired for a couple of years at the earliest. We all know that. But that doesn't mean we can't question if he is the right man for the job. I gave him a chance through the first seven games but the Maryland game was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Tom Allen won't get fired for a couple of years at the earliest. We all know that. But that doesn't mean we can't question if he is the right man for the job. I gave him a chance through the first seven games but the Maryland game was the straw that broke the camel's back.
Question it all you want. But you (and Peaugh), eight games in, have already concluded he was a bad hire. And yesterday's game, a 3-point loss on the road, is the "straw that broke the camel's back?" My God, it's not like he blew a 25 point lead at home to a bad team, or some similar, almost-never-happens scenario.

Reactions: ESalum86

When you have been as many posters as he has..he qualifies for "widely" all by his lonely. Ignore him.

Good thing you are not running things, you'd have to pay 3x as much to even have someone interview for working for "Quick Hook IUGradman" after 7 games.

If you don't think a DC who has turned around each stop he's made is a potential HC candidate, we disagree there. If you don't think character, background, and integrity count for anything. We disagree there too.

I'm not saying Allen (or his staff) have not potentially made some bone head moves or calls here and there, but by and large, I do not at all think this season gives any reason to say "that's unbelievably bad, he must go."

He needs minimum 3 years and I see no trend in "bad recruiting," a "terrible defense" or an overall malaise of the program to be anywhere near as dire as you. It's unfortunate that those who have such negativity can contain it for awhile given no one in right mind will fire a coach one year into a season that has not been a train wreck by most rational assessments.

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
Everyone says he should go but give specific things that he has done wrong when it comes to the football program.

Ok....

1. he refuses to pay market rate for a competent coaching staff

2. He allows those godawful script Indian a helmets

Reactions: BayernFan
I think the biggest issue is the disconnect between expectations of the fans and the values the program has.

I liken it to the children’s sports teams where the parents say it’s all about their kids playing and having fun so they don’t do the necessary activities to be a high win team. Then when the teams start losing the parents lose their minds and start pointing fingers.

It appears to me the program places a greater emphasis on the student athlete vs winning. There is nothing wrong with this mission but choices will be made to support the student athlete vs choices towards winning.

The hard part as a fan is accepting it and then consciously choosing to continue to follow.

I liken it to the children’s sports teams where the parents say it’s all about their kids playing and having fun so they don’t do the necessary activities to be a high win team. Then when the teams start losing the parents lose their minds and start pointing fingers.

It appears to me the program places a greater emphasis on the student athlete vs winning. There is nothing wrong with this mission but choices will be made to support the student athlete vs choices towards winning.

The hard part as a fan is accepting it and then consciously choosing to continue to follow.[/QUOTE]

I don't think those wants are mutually exclusive.

Reactions: UncleMark

Just so you are saying the same things after the 5-7 season and no bowls. Own your optimism in the face of contrary facts. You know yesterday's defense was not good. After next week they will be 0-6 in the B1G. No one should have thought this team was loaded, but I believe they should have beat mediocre Michigan and horrible Maryland, if they were showing true signs of progress.

Just so you are saying the same things after the 5-7 season and no bowls. Own your optimism in the face of contrary facts. You know yesterday's defense was not good. After next week they will be 0-6 in the B1G. No one should have thought this team was loaded, but I believe they should have beat mediocre Michigan and horrible Maryland, if they were showing true signs of progress.

They certainly should have beaten MD, but outside of that this team would have the same record with last year's staff although more kids may have quit, and IU would have even more bad press.

I don’t agree from this standpoint... this was going to be a rough year if you brought in Urban Meyer. From game 1, my point still stands. The o-line recruiting was bad, and you can’t win in the big ten with this kind of rushing attack. Yesterday may have been on the D, but at MSU, OSU, and Michigan it was clear that this team isn’t talented enough due to a lack of good recruiting. Wilson simply missed on prospects. We thought that some guys would come in and be viable replacements, and they aren’t. So I’d hesitate to blame TA to the extent that you are, because a lot of the results we are getting are directly linked to a decline in Wilson’s talent evaluation. I’m not saying they’re bad players or that they were obvious busts. Coy Cronk is an example. Everyone thought he’d be solid, and was more highly regarded than spriggs. Same with Brandon Knight. The reality is that our inability to run the ball is flat out destroying our competitiveness, and that falls back on Wilson’s talent evaluation at the end of his tenure. Even with Wilson, this team would struggle.

Oh, I recognize that some people are easily assuaged by capital projects and a breezy style, but Glass's results speak for themselves.

Put another way, what other Power 5 school would've dared to hire such a lightly qualified person to serve as their Athletic Director, and what other Power 5 school would tolerate such modest results? That's the crock of shit that you can't hope to satisfactorily explain or rationalize.

I did not see the article but according to what I’m told, Glass makes more than the coaches... what P5 schools is that true? I’m asking as a question so no need to pounce ... but if true it is .... priorities may be off

I did not see the article but according to what I’m told, Glass makes more than the coaches... what P5 schools is that true? I’m asking as a question so no need to pounce ... but if true it is .... priorities may be off
I do NOT believe Glass is making more than the coaches. Believe he's in the $400 - $500K range, not $1 - $2M.

Regardless of that, Allen is now coach on a new starting clock. This is his season #1. There are 3 games we all believe he could have, probably should have won, but it wasn't like IU was favored to win those games.

Allen is not setting low expectations and he's not shying from the frustrations. But give him the ability to get his talent, his culture and his staff together. (Coaching staffs are tweaked all the time.)

I'm hopeful IU will still get the 3 games needed for a bowl. And I'm still even open to chance IU could win next week. Think long term, not 7 games!

I do NOT believe Glass is making more than the coaches. Believe he's in the $400 - $500K range, not $1 - $2M.

Regardless of that, Allen is now coach on a new starting clock. This is his season #1. There are 3 games we all believe he could have, probably should have won, but it wasn't like IU was favored to win those games.

Allen is not setting low expectations and he's not shying from the frustrations. But give him the ability to get his talent, his culture and his staff together. (Coaching staffs are tweaked all the time.)

I'm hopeful IU will still get the 3 games needed for a bowl. And I'm still even open to chance IU could win next week. Think long term, not 7 games!
Apparently he does...

Didn't Notre Dame hire their current AD from the same law firm as Glass. I don't see them calling for his head for being so lightly qualified.

Baker & Daniels (Now Faegre Baker) did produce both AD's for ND and IU. The base salary figure does NOT take into account all the other income the two big coaches make. And if IU had won the 3 games this year they could have (2 Michigan & MD games) people would be saying Glass' hire of Allen was inspired.

Give it a rest and give it some time. Allen is a winner.

Both coaches receive far more in total compensation than Glass, who is one of the lowest paid AD's in the Big Ten.

Reactions: Hoosier_Hack
I don’t agree from this standpoint... this was going to be a rough year if you brought in Urban Meyer. From game 1, my point still stands. The o-line recruiting was bad, and you can’t win in the big ten with this kind of rushing attack. Yesterday may have been on the D, but at MSU, OSU, and Michigan it was clear that this team isn’t talented enough due to a lack of good recruiting. Wilson simply missed on prospects. We thought that some guys would come in and be viable replacements, and they aren’t. So I’d hesitate to blame TA to the extent that you are, because a lot of the results we are getting are directly linked to a decline in Wilson’s talent evaluation. I’m not saying they’re bad players or that they were obvious busts. Coy Cronk is an example. Everyone thought he’d be solid, and was more highly regarded than spriggs. Same with Brandon Knight. The reality is that our inability to run the ball is flat out destroying our competitiveness, and that falls back on Wilson’s talent evaluation at the end of his tenure. Even with Wilson, this team would struggle.

Well..., I'm not even close to ready to give up on either Knight or Cronk. They've both been injured. There's no argument that the OL has been a major issue however...

That our recruiting over the past three years on the offensive side of the ball was oversold seems fairly obvious when it comes to depth and having depth of talent wins you a lot of football games in the Big Ten...

The main problem is TA shouldn't have been hired in the first place. So 1 game was too many. Most fans aren't going to give him the normal timeline. He's clearly way out of his league and if we don't change this quickly all the gains we made under Wilson will quickly be lost.
I don't think I agree with that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT