ADVERTISEMENT

The Great Wealth Transfer

We just got our numbers for IU undergrad next year. It’s now over $31k instate. Federal student loans are capped at $5,500 a year. We got $0 in aid under the new FAFSA formula. The 529 will be depleted in 2 years.

Now that the FAFSA formula does not consider how many kids you have in college at the same time, I’m not sure what the hell I’m gonna do when I have 2 in a couple years. Writing checks for $50k each year seems untenable.

This is the generational issue. College is now outrageously expensive. It’s not just students and their debt load. It’s the parents trying to figure out how to pay these large bills each semester.
My oldest is 15. I will highly encourage him to go the IU-Indianapolis route and stick here at the house the first few years at the very least. Having a $120,000 debt for a state school is an anchor that will take forever to get out from under. You can greatly reduce those costs by eliminating room and board costs.

Frankly that kind of expense for all but a select number of degrees is a pretty bad investment. Paying $120k for like a psychology or teaching degree is just stupid.

My oldest is 15. I will highly encourage him to go the IU-Indianapolis route and stick here at the house the first few years at the very least. Having a $120,000 debt for a state school is an anchor that will take forever to get out from under. You can greatly reduce those costs by eliminating room and board costs.

Frankly that kind of expense for all but a select number of degrees is a pretty bad investment. Paying $120k for like a psychology or teaching degree is just stupid.
Sad. Totally get your logic and it makes perfect sense. Lots of kids going to miss out on that going away cool campus town experience. Life will start at 18

Thanks for describing my daughter in that last sentence. Ugh.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and IUCrazy2

Back in my college days went to a public college in another state with total costs being about $4,000 annually.

Graduated with a liberal arts degree and got a sales job with annual earnings of $20,000. Could not have been been hired by the company in sales or been promoted without a college degree.

Silly maybe, but true. Silly because there were thousands of salesmen without a degree who were better qualified for the job than I was.

To be equivalent to my situation a graduate having paid $30,000 per year would have to get a job paying $150, 000 per year. If he had to also repay a loan the earnings required would be higher than $150,000.

Last edited:
According to my friend, whose son went through this two years ago, you could sign up, stay in the program and they would pay full tuition. After the first year, you could drop out and not pay anything back. Pretty sweet deal.
That is a great deal.

I think those who go to service schools, like West Point, can go 2 years before they have a military commitment.

I have 3 kids and will have 3 double tuition years. Holy hell. I hit my 529 savings goal and now realize my goal was wildly low.
When my kids hit college age I went to work at University of Cincinnati (I.T.) they had immediate tuition reimbursement, some places had a 2,3,.. year delay.

My daughter goes to school with my partner’s stepson. So they are in our office and we hear their stories etc. and carpool from time to time. I’m starting to see that divide where a boy would be much easier.
Another old guy told the pharmacy while buying his son rubbers.
I’ve only got to worry about one peter, girl dads have to worry about all of them.

• Sad
Reactions: DANC and mcmurtry66
I think doing ROTC is a great idea for anyone. Get a liberal arts degree for free, work for four years as an officer doing something meaningful, and then apply to grad/professional school.

I agree, though, the military isn’t for everyone. My daughter, for example, could not do it.
Naval ROTC students are steered toward Engineering, Physics and (I believe) Mathematics degrees. A few years ago they started tying the scholarships to those sorts of degrees. Not the Marine path students though. When I had the NROTC unit at OSU that wasn't the case, but there was a core requirement for specific Math and Physics courses (also not for the Marine path students) and we encouraged technical degrees for the Navy path students (with some exceptions, like Nursing path students - which are few in ROTC units. I only had one). This focus is why they only have NROTC units at schools that provide those types of degrees. We have NROTCs at PU, but not IU for example. Army has ROTC units at many more colleges and universities than the Navy does. You can do Army ROTC at more than 1,000 vs. only 77 for the Navy.

I don't necessarily agree with the technical degree for officers. I'm a Business major and one of the best officers I've worked for was actually a Physical Education major - he was a pilot. Technical or mathematics degrees can help for those going into nuclear programs though. They're almost a de facto requirement to qualify for acceptance into those programs.

That is why we have been very firm on her degree. She’s a direct admit to the Luddy School of Informatics. It’s a fantastic program with high earnings potential.

We will have to take a good look at summer courses at Ivy Tech. Trying to find ways to make it work.

IU just moved to the top. She loves Bloomington. Loves it.
Man, you should take her in the spring or fall to a football game, or tailgate. One of the things that surprised me was the girls always talking about how pretty campus was. Most were out of state, but I totally took that for granted when I was there. I just had no idea everyplace wasn’t like that. I just knew Purdue wasn’t!

That is why we have been very firm on her degree. She’s a direct admit to the Luddy School of Informatics. It’s a fantastic program with high earnings potential.

We will have to take a good look at summer courses at Ivy Tech. Trying to find ways to make it work.
Informatics is a great school. Also our sports information department. Too bad mac’s daughter doesn’t like sports. I have one girl working for the Knick’s, one the Grizzlies with a huge online national presence, one U of Florida and one with the Philly Eagles. It’s so fun to follow their careers.

No idea, our parents were all rich. Lol. Crazy though I’m sure. Is there no discount for alums?
shoot i have no idea. i would imagine not. who knows where she'll go. for the first time in her life she's really taken to something. drama! theatre. maybe that will play a role

shoot i have no idea. i would imagine not. who knows where she'll go. for the first time in her life she's really taken to something. drama! theatre. maybe that will play a role
Well that’s perfect! I don’t think there is either, but that would make sense, even like a small discount. We have a good theater program, along with music of course.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Well that’s perfect! I don’t think there is either, but that would make sense, even like a small discount. We have a good theater program, along with music of course.
i'm tempering all expectations. the other day i was driving her and her buddy to the rec center and her friend goes: this song is about hailey bieber. and my daughter paused for a moment and then i heard her mumble: icon.

mercy

I'm pretty sure IU theater and drama is very well regarded.

Tell her you won't let her ruin her life. She's going to Harvard and she's going to be a doctor.

*Dead Poet's Society

• Haha
i'm tempering all expectations. the other day i was driving her and her buddy to the rec center and her friend goes: this song is about hailey bieber. and my daughter paused for a moment and then i heard her mumble: icon.

mercy
Have you two listened to the new Taylor release?

I'm pretty sure IU theater and drama is very well regarded.
yes that would be great. our little woke community has great drama/theatre. when i was growing up there were always actors you'd see at the grocery store who were here for plays. florida from good times. the grandpa from the munsters :). but yes that would be great. then i could turn my attention to the minion who will either be messi, a ufc fighter, or a garbage truck driver

Reactions: DANC and UncleMark
ObviHave you two listened to the new Taylor release?
Billie Eilish Obvi GIF by megan lockhart

I lasted one day. Lol. But got another job the next. My parents didn’t make me work in high school, but I always liked having my own money and always had jobs that were fun to me.
A lot of my female classmates detassled. They wanted the tan.

We always liked to take our lunch breaks with the female crews - for obvious reasons.

That is the reason I said in my post that I'll bet the divorce rate for people in their 20s, 30s, and 40s was a lot lower. The older generation stayed for their kids. I may be completely wrong but I don't think the younger generation is as likely to do that.
And they're much less likely to get married in the first place

White Collar jobs were scarce. May I add to that there were manufacturing jobs, plenty of them and you did not have to be in a union to be making a white collar salary. Those jobs are gone.
Um, that's not true. Maybe in the early 70s, but by the mid-to-late 70s, factories were shutting down.

What manufacturing jobs were paying what office jobs/management did? Maybe if you owned your own business, but your average factory worker wasn't making white collar salaries/wages.

Here's how crazy Biden's proposal is:

• Expand the base of the net investment income tax (NIIT) to include nonpassive business income and increase the rates for the NIIT and the additional Medicare tax to reach 5 percent on income above $400,000 (effective 2024)
  • Increase top individual income tax rate to 39.6 percent on income above $400,000 for single filers and $450,000 for joint filers (effective 2024)
  • Tax long-term capital gains and qualified dividends at ordinary income tax rates for taxable income above $1 million and tax unrealized capital gains at death above a $5 million exemption ($10 million for joint filers)
  • Limit retirement account contributions for high-income taxpayers with large individual retirement account (IRA) balances
  • Tighten rules related to the estate tax
  • Tax carried interest as ordinary income for people earning more than $400,000
  • Limit 1031 like-kind exchanges to $500,000 in gains
  • Repeal the base erosion and anti-abuse tax (BEAT) and replace it with an undertaxed profits rule (UTPR) consistent with the OECD/G20 global minimum tax model rules
  • Replace FDII with unspecified R&D incentives
  • Create a 25 percent “billionaire minimum tax” to tax unrealized capital gains of high-net-worth taxpayers
  • Permanently extend the ARPA premium tax credits (PTCs) expansion (we do include PTCs in our distributional analysis)
  • Expand federal rules on drug pricing provisions
  • Spending program changes
  • Provide additional Internal Revenue Service (IRS) funding

This is insanity. Taxing unrealized capital gains is the stupidest thing ever proposed by a sitting President.
You voted for Biden, right?

That isn't remotely close to accurate. The fact that you pieced that together in your head shows how unintellectual you are.
The only thing worse than being 'unintellectual' is thinking you're an intellectual by posting financial graphs on an internet site meant for sports discussion.

Last edited:
We just got our numbers for IU undergrad next year. It’s now over $31k instate. Federal student loans are capped at $5,500 a year. We got $0 in aid under the new FAFSA formula. The 529 will be depleted in 2 years.

Now that the FAFSA formula does not consider how many kids you have in college at the same time, I’m not sure what the hell I’m gonna do when I have 2 in a couple years. Writing checks for $50k each year seems untenable.

This is the generational issue. College is now outrageously expensive. It’s not just students and their debt load. It’s the parents trying to figure out how to pay these large bills each semester.
I hope you don't expect to pay 100% of your kids' education. Let them figure out how to pay a significant portion. You'll be doing them, and yourself, a favor.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT