ADVERTISEMENT

The Good, the bad, and the ugly (and boring?)

.Gerdis

All-Big Ten
Dec 10, 2003
The good:
IU continues to excel in close games. They are still up there in the KenPom luck factor (3rd). The only close game they’ve lost was KU. I’d feel better about this if

a). We were winning close games versus good teams
b). We’re winning because we had a stud player closing it out (ala when Wisconsin had Davis, and a similar rating)

The bad:
I keep hearing how KP and other services don’t matter yet, but it’s almost January. Bonus: another “bad”, the B10.

The ugly;
Our habit of playing down to opponents, which has been especially troubling at home.

The boring:
anyone else losing excitement?

The good:
IU continues to excel in close games. They are still up there in the KenPom luck factor (3rd). The only close game they’ve lost was KU. I’d feel better about this if

b). We’re winning because we had a stud player closing it out (ala when Wisconsin had Davis, and a similar rating)

The bad:
I keep hearing how KP and other services don’t matter yet, but it’s almost January. Bonus: another “bad”, the B10.

The ugly;
Our habit of playing down to opponents, which has been especially troubling at home.

The boring:
Not losing excitement, but certainly losing expectations.

The good:

The bad:

The ugly;

The boring:
Very hard to get excited when we are playing cupcakes even though IU is making sure these are very close games. If we can start the big ten like 6-2 I may get somewhat excited but right now we just dont look like a good team.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
Obviously a bad game especially from an effort perspective. On the bright side….

Galloway and Walker are proving to be the workhorses of this team and are showing the level of confidence and aggression that we need from upper classmen.

Mgbako is only touching the talent level he has. He will likely be much more confident, and consistent as the year goes on.

When Ware and Reneau struggle we are still finding a way to get wins or compete. Getting others to step up in big situations.

Gunn and Banks hasn’t show much so far so nowhere to go but up.

X will be a big boost for this team once he returns and will mean Cupps can come off the bench and give good quality minutes.

All in all unless X doesn’t return and nobody improves through the course of the season we have put ourselves in a good position to be in the tournament and give ourselves a shot at a run!

Side note… I will be super glad when we have 5-6 upperclassmen again. Morehead State is a prime example of why you like having 4 Sr and 1 Jr starting. This is why I am so against guys like Bates, Gunn and Banks leaving. We need seasoned roll players even if they never develop into stars.

Side note… I will be super glad when we have 5-6 upperclassmen again. Morehead State is a prime example of why you like having 4 Sr and 1 Jr starting. This is why I am so against guys like Bates, Gunn and Banks leaving. We need seasoned roll players even if they never develop into stars.
To be a seasoned role player, you have to first accept your role. By outward appearances, it does not look like Gunn and Banks have done that. Both seemed disengaged and feeding off of each other negatively while sitting their 5 stars on the bench. I don't usually get into bench watching like others, but couldn't help but noticed them as IU was starting to make their run.

Reactions: Ty Webb iu
I wonder if there might be a team chemistry issue. It makes no sense for IU to come out of the locker room without any "juice," as Woodson once described it so eloquently to Don Fischer. Maybe they lack a true leader, one who isn't afraid to say what needs to be said to those needing to hear it. This player doesn't necessarily have to be well liked, but he needs to be someone thick-skinned and feisty, someone who practices what he preaches on the playing floor. As dull as the game was for the greater part, thankfully it ended well in a very entertaining way. So what if PU blew them out of their gym by 30 points.

Early starting games are the pits. A 6:30 start on a weeknight is tough to make for those who need to work. A lot of fans got there late, including myself. My buddy and I went to Buffalouies an hour before the game. It was packed with red sweaters. The atmosphere was great but by the time they served us our garlic-parmesan wings the building was nearly empty and we didn't make it to our seats (TY, IU73) until the first TV timeout. Damn, those wings were good and I see they're putting in a Buffalouie's in Carmel. What doesn't those rich kids have!

I don't think I've ever been to a game there where I've seen so many young kids...future Hoosiers, all having fun!

Cupps really needs to start hitting some buckets. I realize he does other things well, but not being a scorer creates a handicap. I remember before the season someone said he's more of a distributor than a scorer. Does anyone know offhand how productive he was in high school, scoring and percentage-wise? I will say though, that one acrobatic layup he did manage to score reminded me of Neil Reed, although Neil would have made it a 3-pt play, hitting his free throw.

The crowd really appreciated the DJ in the corner playing Queen's Bohemian Rhaspsody. The part of the song he played during a long time out was very uplifting in an inspiring sort of way I'd say.."Oh, Momma mia, mamma mia...momma mia, let me go, let me go. Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me, for me, for ME-E-E!" (Galileo, Galileo...Galileo Figaro magnifico!) Ah, the wonder of the buck-tooth virtuoso, Farrokh Bulsara!

I wonder if there might be a team chemistry issue. It makes no sense for IU to come out of the locker room without any "juice," as Woodson once described it so eloquently to Don Fischer.
FWIW, Walker said in the post-game interview that it was a lesson and won't continue to be a problem.

Reactions: whosyourholydaddy
To be a seasoned role player, you have to first accept your role. By outward appearances, it does not look like Gunn and Banks have done that. Both seemed disengaged and feeding off of each other negatively while sitting their 5 stars on the bench. I don't usually get into bench watching like others, but couldn't help but noticed them as IU was starting to make their run.
Gunn had a great chance last night. He hit a jumper. Then he missed 2 wide open 3 pointers. I thought both were going in. He could use a confidence boost. But yeah - seems that he was sulking in the 2nd half.
The coaches could help Banks if they would tell him to stop thinking about offense. He always seems in a hurry to get a shot up. They should tell him to just focus on defense, rebounding, and screening. The offense will come someday.

Reactions: wi_hoosier
1. It will be interesting to see how many minutes Woody feels Walker has earned. Another similar game and maybe he gets a start?
2. Cupps showed no confidence in his shot (my opinion). He turned down fairly open shots due to lack of confidence. Becoming a good shot this year may well be asking too much but he must come back next year as a shooter.
3. CJ has a great opportunity for guard minutes and does not seem to be stepping up.

Reactions: IUbball_lifer
The good: we are 2-0 in the BIG, MM is improving, came back to save the season last night.

The bad: zero depth, team lacks leadership, zero wins vs a good team

The ugly: shooting (3pt and FT), basketball IQ, roster balance.( zero guards)

Reactions: BigMobe and .Gerdis
Very hard to get excited when we are playing cupcakes even though IU is making sure these are very close games. If we can start the big ten like 6-2 I may get somewhat excited but right now we just dont look like a good team.
I'd be shit happy with a win at Nebraska for a 3-0 start. lol. Then realize the drop in expectations...

Reactions: ekk
The good: we are 2-0 in the BIG, MM is improving, came back to save the season last night.

The bad: zero depth, team lacks leadership, zero wins vs a good team

The ugly: shooting (3pt and FT), basketball IQ, roster balance.( zero guards)
Regarding roster balance (guards and depth), it’s a good point, but….

X would help immensely shift that imbalance and lack of depth

And

Our roster balance mirrors the league. In other words, for years the BT (especially the most successful conference teams) have focused on a bruising / frontcourt style. It’s a vicious loop as that’s what it takes to compete in the league. Unfortunately for the conference (as far as winning it all) we are not the only conference team that has been constructing their roster favoring bigs.

Reactions: Beorik

And

Our roster balance mirrors the league. In other words, for years the BT (especially the most successful conference teams) have focused on a bruising / frontcourt style. It’s a vicious loop as that’s what it takes to compete in the league. Unfortunately for the conference (as far as winning it all) we are not the only conference team that has been constructing their roster favoring bigs.
Every other conference teams have guards that can make shots consistently.

And

Disagree…other teams in the league have had solid to really strong guard play.
Purdue has had guys like Edwards and Ivey
Iu has had guys like Yogi, Vic, JHS
Michigan has had multiple guards go to the league .
So it’s not roster construction you are talking about. Its style of offenses. Our roster is an issue because we have poor wing/guard depth without anyone to stretch the floor.

Disagree…other teams in the league have had solid to really strong guard play.
Purdue has had guys like Edwards and Ivey
Iu has had guys like Yogi, Vic, JHS
Michigan has had multiple guards go to the league .
So it’s not roster construction you are talking about. Its style of offenses. Our roster is an issue because we have poor wing/guard depth without anyone to stretch the floor.
So, just to be clear last year we had solid to really strong guard play? You mentioned Hood, but IIRC you have mentioned shooting and guard play before this season.

So, just to be clear last year we had solid to really strong guard play? You mentioned Hood, but IIRC you have mentioned shooting and guard play before this season.
Well hood was a first round one and done. So yes he was pretty good but much like this year we didnt have much shooting

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT