ADVERTISEMENT

Thanks, GOP & NRA! 5 Mass Shooting in 2024; 656 last year (UPDATED 01/05/24)

DCGeneral

Hall of Famer
Jul 5, 2001
As we await the details of the horrific event at MSU, I was saddened, but not shocked, to learn that in just 45 days of this new year, this is the 67th mass shooting in our country. The majority of Americans want reasonable gun regulation, but nothing is done because of the power and the money of the NRA, and how it pulls the strings of the GOP.

The recent bipartisan legislation is a start, but we need to stand up to the fearmongering that the government is coming to take away guns. There many measures that could be passed that would dramatically lessen this epidemic:

- banning many assault weapons. People do not need weapons that fire these many rounds that quickly in order to protect themselves, hunt for need/pleaseure, etc.

- better regulate over where and who can see arms

- permits and training requirements for gun owners. My friends in law enforcement agree that if we can mandate having to qualify for a driver's license, there is nothin wrong with doing the same for gun ownership. Why are people afraid of mandating better informed, qualified and capable gun users?

It is a disgrace that the NRA and GOP allows these events to continue.

As we await the details of the horrific event at MSU, I was saddened, but not shocked, to learn that in just 45 days of this new year, this is the 67th mass shooting in our country. The majority of Americans want reasonable gun regulation, but nothing is done because of the power and the money of the NRA, and how it pulls the strings of the GOP.

The recent bipartisan legislation is a start, but we need to stand up to the fearmongering that the government is coming to take away guns. There many measures that could be passed that would dramatically lessen this epidemic:

- banning many assault weapons. People do not need weapons that fire these many rounds that quickly in order to protect themselves, hunt for need/pleaseure, etc.

- permits and training requirements for gun owners. My friends in law enforcement agree that if we can mandate having to qualify for a driver's license, there is nothin wrong with doing the same for gun ownership. Why are people afraid of mandating better informed, qualified and capable gun users?

If you are a member of the NRA after learning about the ongoing corruption found throughout the NRA leadership, you truly are an idiot.

Serious question-are you paid by the democrat party?

Or is there another reason you wedge GOP, conservative, or Republican in every thread title?
Serious question Hoopsdoc...why do you support the NRA given the significant corruption and fiscal mismanagement by the organization's leadership?

• Haha
Reactions: Crayfish57
Serious question-are you paid by the democrat party?

Or is there another reason you wedge GOP, conservative, or Republican in every thread title?

Or just as partisan as 90% of the posters here?

Most everyone has their leaning one way or another. I would think as long as a poster isn't name-calling, maybe we could stick to debating the points.

Or just as partisan as 90% of the posters here?

Most everyone has their leaning one way or another. I would think as long as a poster isn't name-calling, maybe we could stick to debating the points.

It's funny. Others have tried to label my posts as "bait" even though I abstain from name calling. I invite everyone to debate the debate, not the poster. Others use different tactics, it seems.

Everyone understands what the motivations were for the Bill of Rights, but that was in the 1700s. There is a reason why our Constitution has amendments. I pray that eventually we can have reasonable gun regulation that ends this lunacy.

It's not easy putting the cat back in the bag so to speak but there could definitely be better progress in addressing the issue. Gun related crimes will never fully go away in this country but it definitely needs to get better.

People like to use the excuse that cars kill people too but as you pointed out, we have to go through hoops to legally drive a car.

Reactions: vesuvius13
And here I thought it was the conservatives like DanC and Cray that ruined the civility of the board.
The thread title is unnecessarily provocative, but the topic - - and the NRA's role - - is certainly worthy of discussion.

And, regarding board civility, he hasn't resorted to calling people pussies, assholes and dumbasses like the posters you've mentioned.

The use of the word "fearmongering" implies an irrational belief that "the government is coming to take away guns"; however, I think that this is a correct statement concerning many members of the Demoncrat Party, as seen by the obstacles that Demoncrat mayors/city councils etc have put in place to block individuals desiring to own/possess handguns for self-defense in cities like NYC and D.C. This is the basis for general public distrust of the Dems, rather than the power of the NRA.

The use of the word "fearmongering" implies an irrational belief that "the government is coming to take away guns"; however, I think that this is a correct statement concerning many members of the Demoncrat Party, as seen by the obstacles that Demoncrat mayors/city councils etc have put in place to block individuals desiring to own/possess handguns for self-defense in cities like NYC and D.C. This is the basis for general public distrust of the Dems, rather than the power of the NRA.

Preventing people from carrying guns around in major cities is a big difference from coming to people's houses and taking away their guns.

I have only heard 1 dem even mention taking away guns (o'rourke when he ran for president but lost). I don't see how anyone actually believes that is a big worry (outside of the people that have bought into the fearmongering propaganda).

I bet you taking away guns wouldn't come even remotely close to passing even if it was just dems voting on it. The closest it would get would be a ban on future sales of assault rifles and possibly a buyback program to try to get some back off the streets (like cash for clunkers but for guns).

It's not easy putting the cat back in the bag so to speak but there could definitely be better progress in addressing the issue. Gun related crimes will never fully go away in this country but it definitely needs to get better.

People like to use the excuse that cars kill people too but as you pointed out, we have to go through hoops to legally drive a car.
The "cars kill people" argument has always been stupid. Guns have one purpose, to kill or maim. Sure you can use them for target practice, and that's fun. But they are designed solely to kill.

Obviously cars are not designed to kill people.

The "cars kill people" argument has always been stupid. Guns have one purpose, to kill or maim. Sure you can use them for target practice, and that's fun. But they are designed solely to kill.

Obviously cars are not designed to kill people.

This would be an interesting solution.

Any hurdle that is placed on people considering an abortion should also be placed on people considering a gun. People who are really pro-life shouldn't object.

“How about we treat every person who wants to buy a gun like every woman who wants to get an abortion:

1. Mandatory 48-hour waiting period, parental permission, a note from his doctor proving he understands what he’s about to do, a video he has to watch about the effects of gun violence…

2. Close down all but one gun shop in every state and make him travel hundreds of miles, take time off work, stay overnight in a strange town to get a gun.

3. Make him walk through a gauntlet of people holding photos of loved ones who were shot to death, people who call him a murderer and beg him not to buy a gun.”

I disagree. I'm sure there are many people - registered Dems or otherwise - who want an outright ban on guns and/or "taking guns away". But the fearmongering I'm referring to is the caricature imager invoked by the NRA and others that this is a "slippery slope" situation. The notion that reasonable gun regulation is going to lead to "them going for your guns" is the very definition of fearmongering.

The NRA feeds on appealing to conservative values and hysteria. It's on the first page of their playbook. Evoking a "us vs them" bunker mentality.

The US leads the developed world in school shootings, mass shootings and firearms homicide rates. We're raising a generation of kids who are afraid they're going to be blown away at school, at the movies, at a concert or at any public gathering. That's beyond fvcked up. It's the sign of a country in decline. But, sure, let's fight those culture wars and obsess about what consenting adults do in the bedroom.

Reactions: Indyhorn
The thread title is unnecessarily provocative, but the topic - - and the NRA's role - - is certainly worthy of discussion.

And, regarding board civility, he hasn't resorted to calling people pussies, assholes and dumbasses like the posters you've mentioned.
I was referring to circlejoe, who called me an idiot.

When it comes to gun control issues the Liberal Democrats are just f*cking dumb. There is no other way to describe them.

Case in point: the heavily Liberal Democrat Colorado state legislature is about to pass a bill allowing local county authorities to ban shooting on any and all private land. If you want to shoot a beer cans on your ranch, that could be illegal. The mostly urban (remember that one man one vote thing) legislature believes that gun fire is such an issue that we must have tools to ban it. That ol’ “one more tool in the toolbox“platitude. The reports of gunfire deaths in rural Colorado are as rare as plant-based meat.

The real gun problem is found on the urban streets of every city. It’s largely a juvenile problem. It’s largely a Black problem. It’s largely an illegally possessed gun problem. It’s a gang problem. It is largely a drug problem. Gun fights are a regular occurrence in Denver. Gun deaths are only slightly less common. The gun problem significantly increased in the wake of the George Floyd riots. That was the time when the Liberals and Democrats worked overtime to convince Black youngsters cops were out to kill them. That was a time the liberal legislature stripped some of the public official protections afforded to cops. That was the time when cops were removed from schools. That was a time when cops were removed from public transportation. That was the time cops were so disrespected that the employment plummeted and is yet to recover.

We all are paying the wages of that liberal anti-cop sentiment today.

There are laws that could be passed to address the black-juvenile-gun-drug problem. There are procedures (like random stop and frisk) that could be employed. But none of that will happen because we cannot stigmatize black youngsters. We will just turn them into violent gangbangers instead.

So keep on believing we can stop everyday gun problems with bans of certain kinds of rifles, more background checks, and shooting bans where shooting is not a problem. Meanwhile street guns, street shooters, street drugs, go along unabated. After all guns are a white bubba problem.

I disagree. I'm sure there are many people - registered Dems or otherwise - who want an outright ban on guns and/or "taking guns away". But the fearmongering I'm referring to is the caricature imager invoked by the NRA and others that this is a "slippery slope" situation. The notion that reasonable gun regulation is going to lead to "them going for your guns" is the very definition of fearmongering.

The NRA feeds on appealing to conservative values and hysteria. It's on the first page of their playbook. Evoking a "us vs them" bunker mentality.
The slippery slope argument is absolutely a valid one and it’s not just argued by the NRA.

The NRA is just the big bad boogeyman that you guys love to hate. Even if it went away tomorrow, another organization would take its place.

Reactions: 76-1 and DANC

Agree with the last two bullet points, but have a quibble with the first.

In this debate, accuracy is important: [fully] automatic assault weapons are already banned. Only those possessing special Fed licensing can purchase and own assault weapons. Over time, and aided by subtle slippery slope messaging tactics, the phrase assault weapon is becoming inclusive of semi-automatic weapons as well.

Fun fact: the mechanics of a double-action revolver make it possible to fire more rounds per unit of time than can be fired from a semi-automatic pistol.

Is the DA revolver an assault weapon?

Reactions: DANC
Well, you do have a couple of signatures in your posts that make little sense. How do you both "Back The Blue" and "Support the NRA"? If you support the NRA, I assume you are a member and send the organization money. How do you justify sending a corrupt organization money when there is ample evidence that its leadership has mismanaged funds and is facing charges of fraud? Seems idiotic to me.

When it comes to gun control issues the Liberal Democrats are just f*cking dumb. There is no other way to describe them.

Case in point: the heavily Liberal Democrat Colorado state legislature is about to pass a bill allowing local county authorities to ban shooting on any and all private land. If you want to shoot a beer cans on your ranch, that could be illegal. The mostly urban (remember that one man one vote thing) legislature believes that gun fire is such an issue that we must have tools to ban it. That ol’ “one more tool in the toolbox“platitude. The reports of gunfire deaths in rural Colorado are as rare as plant-based meat.

The real gun problem is found on the urban streets of every city. It’s largely a juvenile problem. It’s largely a Black problem. It’s largely an illegally possessed gun problem. It’s a gang problem. It is largely a drug problem. Gun fights are a regular occurrence in Denver. Gun deaths are only slightly less common. The gun problem significantly increased in the wake of the George Floyd riots. That was the time when the Liberals and Democrats worked overtime to convince Black youngsters cops were out to kill them. That was a time the liberal legislature stripped some of the public official protections afforded to cops. That was the time when cops were removed from schools. That was a time when cops were removed from public transportation. That was the time cops were so disrespected that the employment plummeted and is yet to recover.

There are laws that could be passed to address the black-juvenile-gun-drug problem. There are procedures (like random stop and frisk) that could be employed. But none of that will happen because we cannot stigmatize black youngsters. We will just turn them into violent gangbangers instead.

So keep on believing we can stop everyday gun problems with bans of certain kinds of rifles, more background checks, and shooting bans where shooting is not a problem. Meanwhile street guns, street shooters, street drugs, go along unabated. After all guns are a white bubba problem.

Wait, you are mad that the state is passing a law that would allow Denver to make discharging a weapon illegal and allow a rural county to keep it legal? That is what has you upset?

Reactions: UncleMark

Wow, well put and accurate. When it is socially unacceptable to really get to the root of true gun violence you resort to getting worked up over John Doe shooting on his family farm. I think some think the Hatfield's and McCoy's still exist, and to some extent they do only in the urban cities. Living in Southern Indiana I rarely hear of any gun shootings, but across the bridge in Louisville it is a daily occurrence it is sad so many young black males are loosing their lives at the hands of other young black youth.

• Haha
Reactions: IU_Hickory

I'm not fully on the same page as the OP. But there were 2 other measures listed, beyond the Assault Rifle one.
Is it not a worthy exercise to try to tackle ALL gun problems?

Making the vetting process for gun permits more rigorous, making the process of buying guns more regulated, etc... will not immediately solve the issues you bring up. Which I whole heartedly agree is a larger issue than mass shootings are. But the more we plan, regulate, manage, who ends up with new guns in their possession...eventually, that will have a positive impact on the problems you mention.

Raise the percentage of responsible, knowledgeable, gun owners vs overall gun owners...and you lower the percentage of guns that will get into the hands of bad actors illegally. No? The answer is yes. And if we had started these measures yesterday, we'd be further along in the process today. Every day we just throw our hands up and point our fingers at the "other" people that are causing the problems, is one more day until less illegal guns are in bad peoples hands...AND yes, less Auto/Semi auto, high powered, high capacity guns are available to carry out these mass shootings.

The US leads the developed world in school shootings, mass shootings and firearms homicide rates. We're raising a generation of kids who are afraid they're going to be blown away at school, at the movies, at a concert or at any public gathering. That's beyond fvcked up. It's the sign of a country in decline. But, sure, let's fight those culture wars and obsess about what consenting adults do in the bedroom.

yup. now they have active shooter drills rather than just earthquake/tornado/fire drills.

Is staying in the NRA and pushing for reform not an option?

I’m appalled by the sexual abuse in the Catholic Church. Am I an idiot for being a Catholic?

Or are you an idiot for painting with such a broad brush?
If you are a member of the NRA and send the organization money even though the leadership is being charged with fraud and corruption, then yes, I think that is idiotic. The smarter response is to drop your membership in protest, which millions of former NRA members have done.

If you are appalled by the sexual abuse situation in the Catholic Church and continue to financially support the organization, then yes, I think that's idiotic.

You don't need to stop being a gun owner or a practicing Catholic to decide not to participate in bad behavior.

If you are a member of the NRA and send the organization money even though the leadership is being charged with fraud and corruption, then yes, I think that is idiotic. The smarter response is to drop your membership in protest, which millions of former NRA members have done.

If you are appalled by the sexual abuse situation in the Catholic Church and continue to financially support the organization, then yes, I think that's idiotic.

You don't need to stop being a gun owner or a practicing Catholic to decide not to participate in bad behavior.
You live in a cute little binary children’s world. Corruption permeates every area of society. You do your best to not partake and fight it when you see it. It’s all any of us can do.

Or you can completely detach like yourself. Which is what maldeveloped children do.

Wherever power centralizes, you will find corruption. Yet you continue to vote Democrat. You are completely lost in the woods.

He didn’t call you specifically. But you haven’t answered the question why you still support them. I’d think another group who actually was in favor of some common sense gun laws, AND wanting to protect second amendment rights, AND not corrupt, would have an opening to do an abundance of good.

Is staying in the NRA and pushing for reform not an option?

I’m appalled by the sexual abuse in the Catholic Church. Am I an idiot for being a Catholic?

Or are you an idiot for painting with such a broad brush?
What exactly have you done to push for reform?

• Haha

And a lot of people don’t go through any hoops to illegally drive a vehicle.

He didn’t call you specifically. But you haven’t answered the question why you still support them. I’d think another group who actually was in favor of some common sense gun laws, AND wanting to protect second amendment rights, AND not corrupt, would have an opening to do an abundance of good.
That’s some impressive mental gymnastics there.

If it makes him feel any better, I also support gun owners of America.

Reactions: DANC
You live in a cute little binary children’s world. Corruption permeates every area of society. You do your best to not partake and fight it when you see it. It’s all any of us can do.

Or you can completely detach like yourself. Which is what maldeveloped children do.

Wherever power centralizes, you will find corruption. Yet you continue to vote Democrat. You are completely lost in the woods.
What does that last paragraph mean? You think Republicans are less corrupt?

Last edited:
  • Haha

That's just bullshit. But you probably know it.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT