ADVERTISEMENT

Supreme Court to decide Trump immunity claim

Today is the day! This should be fun. Seal Team Six, anyone?

Important to define for future presidents and I guess Trump ultimately but now kicks DC case to after the election. And that’s assuming it’s not sent down for more findings. Big win for trump

If the Supremes rule that a President has absolute immunity while in office, Biden or any subsequent president could/should walk into the Supreme and start shooting them one at a time.

While committing this violent exercise in unintended consequences he or she could be repeating the phrase my father always hit me with when I did something stupid: "Did you learn anything?"

Important to define for future presidents and I guess Trump ultimately but now kicks DC case to after the election. And that’s assuming it’s not sent down for more findings. Big win for trump
That was by design. The Supremes know exactly what they're doing.

Reactions: Bowlmania
He could have taken a plea on ny biz records. Done. Short circuited. DC kicked to past election. GA no one takes seriously with Fannie Mae. And Fla he won’t get convicted so strong armed that prosecutor into a deal before the prosecutor takes an L. Took the air out of all of it

If the Supremes rule that a President has absolute immunity while in office, Biden or any subsequent president could/should walk into the Supreme and start shooting them one at a time.

While committing this violent exercise in unintended consequences he or she could be repeating the phrase my father always hit me with when I did something stupid: "Did you learn anything?"
Presidents have to have immunity or the office simply could not function. The deep state would blackmail any President into oblivion. Likely has to extend beyond your term in office too or else they'll simply keep looking for made up crimes after your term is up. Basically threaten to make your life a complete hell after leaving if you don't bow down to the deep state.

And no, no one is arguing a President can shoot someone and have immunity. Needs to be somewhat related to your official duties. Needs to extend to trivial matters after leaving office as well. SCOTUS knows this. Today should be fun.

• Haha
Reactions: IU_Hickory

No serious legal scholar can take seriously the question about assassinating rivals. The appellate court raising that question shows its profound ignorance about immunity.

Immunity is not that difficult once you understand how it works.

But, just cuz immunity is relatively simple, applying it not so much. This is a very interesting case and the result will significantly affect the office of president. Except that Trump involvement triggers all kinds of BS as is shown by the assassinating question.

Presidents have to have immunity or the office simply could not function. The deep state would blackmail any President into oblivion. Likely has to extend beyond your term in office too or else they'll simply keep looking for made up crimes after your term is up. Basically threaten to make your life a complete hell after leaving if you don't bow down to the deep state.

And no, no one is arguing a President can shoot someone and have immunity. Needs to be somewhat related to your official duties. Needs to extend to trivial matters after leaving office as well. SCOTUS knows this. Today should be fun.
Subverting an election and stealing classified docs don't seem like official duties, but maybe I'm just outlier.

WTF does this mean? Of course judicial review is by design.

They could have taken it up in December, but of course they decided instead to let the appellate process play out. Delay is the goal. Cash money says they'll send it back to the district court for further hearings and motions and other delaying tactics, which will then have to climb back up the appellate ladder.

Reactions: larsIU
Subverting an election and stealing classified docs don't seem like official duties, but maybe I'm just outlier.
You're just making up crimes. You need to cite a specific statute and how it was violated. You can’t.

What you need to understand in the docs case is that they basically had 2-3 weeks to go through hundreds of thousands of pages of documents. It wasn't known Trump wasn't getting a 2nd term until SCOTUS rejected the TX suit and Pence refused to send the electors back on Jan 6. There was no way they could do that in time and as such they basically boxed everything up and shipped it to Maralago. Trump had nothing to do with it. 95% of it was newspapers and magazines clippings. Trump had no idea what was even in them and cooperated with NARA the whole time. With Clinton, Bush, and Obama they had 4 years. This was a very rushed transition and the charges are ludicrous.

You're just making up crimes. You need to cite a specific statute and how it was violated. You can’t.

What you need to understand in the docs case is that they basically had 2-3 weeks to go through hundreds of thousands of pages of documents. It wasn't known Trump wasn't getting a 2nd term until SCOTUS rejected the TX suit and Pence refused to send the electors back on Jan 6. There was no way they could do that in time and as such they basically boxed everything up and shipped it to Maralago. Trump had nothing to do with it. 95% of it was newspapers and magazines clippings. Trump had no idea what was even in them and cooperated with NARA the whole time. With Clinton, Bush, and Obama they had 4 years. This was a very rushed transition and the charges are ludicrous.

• Haha
Reactions: Ohio Guy

You really should read up outside of your propaganda feed.

Cooperated? Right. That’s why he has people testifying against him that he was trying to hide them . That’s total cooperation.

They could have taken it up in December, but of course they decided instead to let the appellate process play out. Delay is the goal. Cash money says they'll send it back to the district court for further hearings and motions and other delaying tactics, which will then have to climb back up the appellate ladder.
I think a remand for factual findings is a foreseeable outcome.

You seem to think that since Trump is the defendant, we throw away established judicial process. The only reason you say that is for the case to impact the campaign. Campaign impact is certainly the reason for the garbage cases.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Trump's attorney has argued that today in fact, that a president can order the assassination of an opponent

And that a president can accept bribes in nominating ambassadors.

You seem to think that since Trump is the defendant, we throw away established judicial process. The only reason you say that is for the case to impact the campaign. Campaign impact is certainly the reason for the garbage cases.
Right. Breaking the law has nothing to do with it. At all.

Trump's attorney has argued that today in fact, that a president can order the assassination of an opponent

And that a president can accept bribes in nominating ambassadors.
Based solely on the questions directed to the plaintiff, I'm getting a 6-3 decision vs Trump. Jackson has kicked ass...

Trump friendly justice Amy Coney Barrett may have shut the door on the silly argument that he shouldn't face any criminal charges unless he had first been impeached and then found guilty.

“You’ve argued that the impeachment clause suggests or requires impeachment to be a gateway to criminal prosecution, right?” Barrett asked.

“Yes,” Trump’s attorney, John Sauer, said of the impeachment clause.

“There are many other people who are subject to impeachment, including the nine sitting on this bench,” Barrett said, “and I don’t think anyone has ever suggested that impeachment would have to be the gateway to criminal prosecution for any of the many other officers subject to impeachment."

“So why is the president different when the impeachment clause doesn’t say so?” Barrett asked.

Sauer then admitted the lack of case law but he cited an opinion from former Solicitor General Robert Bork, who – Sauer said – found the sequence of impeachment in the Senate was required before criminal prosecution specifically (and only) for a president.

Reactions: Bowlmania
438674395_10229941920244958_1217392554369088384_n.jpg

You live in Loonyville.

Reactions: outside shooter
If true, that is a dumb argument.
He said a president is immune from all official acts. When asked if assassinating a political rival he thought to be corrupt would be something he could be charged with, the attorney said, "that could well be an official act". Could leaves the door open to immunity for the act.

What are you talking about? Do even know what the issues are?
Of course I do. There you go changing the subject again. You said it’s all politics. Throwing out insults doesn’t change the fact that you are constantly making circular arguments that make zero sense. And trolling for Trump.

Of course I do. There you go changing the subject again. You said it’s all politics. Throwing out insults doesn’t change the fact that you are constantly making circular arguments that make zero sense. And trolling for Trump.
I never said the Supre court hearing was all politics.

The underlying prosecution is garbage and begun for political reasons, not to vindicate the rule of law.

I don’t think you have a grasp if the issues before Supremes.

Congratulations. You just set the record for most laughing emojis for a post (post 292) not intended to be funny.

Yep.

People who cannot expand their thoughts past “I don’t want Trump to be able to do that“ and into “do I want a president to be able to do that“ piss me off for weeks at a time.

Partisan idiocy is a danger to democracy.

Reactions: Spartans9312
https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/11/politics/trump-employee-5-classified-documents-mar-a-lago/index.html Total cooperation. Sometimes I think it would be nice to be so removed from reality that I believe everything Catturd and James Woods and Trump for that matter say. But most of the time, I’d rather live in the real world and not be total batshit crazy.
Totally. Like the best cooperation in the history of the United States. Stunningly beautiful cooperation, like no one has ever seen before.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT