ADVERTISEMENT

Star ratings junk or treasure?

Hoosier_Hack

All-Big Ten
Gold Member
Sep 25, 2011
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...ar-look-at-fivestar-college-football-recruitsfound an interesting article that examined all five star recruits from 2001-2010. I have cut and pasted below the crux of the article but also provided the link. What I see is a high percentage of 5 star guys going in the first round year after year. To say the ratings mean nothing would be contrary to this. All I am pointing to is that I believe we CAN find the 2 star guy from year to year that pans out into a nice prospect. Fill an entire recruiting roster with 5 stars and another roster with 2 stars....who do you think is most likely to succeed?

There were 262 recruits given five-star status between 2002-2010. There were as many as 38 five stars in one class, in 2002, and as few as 25, in both 2003 and 2004. The average number of five-star recruits in a class was 29.

» Of those 262, 116 were drafted (44.3 percent) and 42 went in the first round (16 percent); 38 percent of the five stars who were drafted were first-rounders.

» Two former five-star recruits in that span, Matthew Stafford and Cam Newton, have been the overall No. 1 draft pick.

» There are 18 former five-star recruits from the 2002 to 2010 class who will be in the 2014 draft, and there are another seven who will be seniors in college in the fall. (Counting the 11 five-star recruits in the 2011 class, there will be 29 former five-star recruits in the 2014 draft.)

» Some more numbers to think about: FBS schools sign about 2,500 players every year, and maybe 30 are five-star recruits. That means a bit more than 1 percent of the players who sign every February are five-star guys.

» Not all the five-star recruits had a shot at being drafted. Two were in prison, and another faces a March trial for assault. A handful had to give up football because of injuries. A few never played a down of major-college football because of academic issues. One decided on a pro baseball career, and another chose pro track. And there are two former five-star guys whose whereabouts are unknown. We have identified those players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News