ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Updates

76-1

Hall of Famer
Mar 22, 2017
Indiana

"Spring practice runs through April 15 when the program will host an interactive tailgate with the fans".

interactive tailgate?????
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“You get to see who the natural leaders are, and who is creative and able to make plays.”

but how do you get to see that in a no contact with the QB situation?

last yr was totally blown up by IU's own coaching staff not having the slightest idea who could play at QB in live game situations, and who couldn't, and fought to the death actually finding out.

Looks like a good first week of practice … from what can be read.

Toughness periods sound like modified “Oklahoma drills” (2 on 2) … but have to be more with the emphasis on second level blocking.

I would suppose this drill to be a double team at the snap … followed by release by one blocker to the LB scraping to the hole.

I am tired of the same boring questions asked of IU coaches. Like you I would like reporters to understand football.
I gave up a few years ago looking for real information. At least 90% of what you hear from CTC is that their great kids and they come from a great background and they have a great family and that the Hoosiers are really excited because everything is so great.

Reactions: nurban and jsenleo
I gave up a few years ago looking for real information. At least 90% of what you hear from CTC is that their great kids and they come from a great background and they have a great family and that the Hoosiers are really excited because everything is so great.
With the bland questions asked of coaches and players we won't get more than platitudes. Getting some insightful questions could change that kind of response.

The best way for me to get reliable information is a live scrimmage where the QBs are making plays. Get to see the defensive players defending and receivers running routes.

I would feel better if someone rises to the top and a starting QB is identified after Spring.

I hope coach Allen learned from changing practices last season and reverts back to what they did in 2019 and 2020 with the way they prepared for the season.
They hit less now than they did in 2019, but practices are quite similar. Their practice regimen in 2020 was much different, as was the entire season, so there isn’t much of a comparison to any normal practice and prep activities.

Agree 1000%... but with the simpleton questions that are asked what can we expect...

BTW, it appears CTA's Ritalin, is starting to work. I was actually able to follow him in this last interview!

Last edited:
The best way for me to get reliable information is a live scrimmage where the QBs are making plays. Get to see the defensive players defending and receivers running routes.

I would feel better if someone rises to the top and a starting QB is identified after Spring.
I doubt they'll name a quarterback in the spring. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they're spending a lot of effort through the summer trying to find somebody interested in the last minute transfer.

I'm fine with no reporters at practices....due to social media today, teams will know exactly what we will be doing way too early to give us any possible competitive advantage...not that it matters in the end. Social media (this web site and others) just "leaks information" out so much that it is unreal. As for the questions being asked...go a head and ask....CTA, all he has to do is invoke his 5th Amendment Rights and shut those type of questions down....of course fans and such will jump and down saying "it looks bad"....well, is that any different than what IU fans tolerated with RMK and his behavior towards the press? The only reason "he got away with it" were the banners....I mean, will our lives have "more meaning" knowing the answers and such? No....

Yes, we all want "information"....yet will that truly be the determining factor in our support of the team?

Reactions: vesuvius13
We hit, just not very often. I know Coach Allen would like to hit more, but it’s a balance between that and trying to keep guys fresh and injury free.
Exactly. The posters here who bitch the loudest about the lack of contact in spring practice would be the first to condemn the coaching staff if we lost a quarterback or other major player for the upcoming season due to an injury that occurred during live contact drills or scrimmages in the spring. Joint or bone injuries suffered in March or April likely mean a player is lost for most or all of the season in the fall.

Reactions: Jackskip23
Exactly. The posters here who bitch the loudest about the lack of contact in spring practice would be the first to condemn the coaching staff if we lost a quarterback or other major player for the upcoming season due to an injury that occurred during live contact drills or scrimmages in the spring. Joint or bone injuries suffered in March or April likely mean a player is lost for most or all of the season in the fall.
We hit some in Spring, but our numbers are always lower because we’re short a class (except for early enrollees), guys are rehabbing injuries, and others are focusing on school. Since the numbers are naturally lower, the coaches are trying to run reps and get a feel for who can and can’t help us in the Fall, but they’re doing it with fewer bodies. If you hit a ton and get guys hurt, you make a tough situation even tougher.

No I wouldn't.

Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
No I wouldn't.
There is a difference between making the QB live and having live tackling drills along with thud practices. Coach Allen thought he was limiting injuries last year, but they still happened and tackling hurt the Hoosier last year. Coaches always have to balance contact and avoidance of injuries, but last season went too far trying to avoid injuries.

thing is, absent true game conditions, you can't really begin to credibly evaluate QBs today, and especially can't fairly evaluate single vs dual threat QBs.

last yr we lost our best QB to no contact practices for the first 10 games.

it would be great if QBs could be credibly evaluated in sterile no contact situations, but they can't anymore than basketball players can be credibly evaluated just on shooting and dribbling drills.

a catch 22 dilemma i concur. damned if you don't. maybe damned if you do.

that said, if the first couple official games could be used to sort out what wasn't sorted out in practice, then that would lessen the downside of no contact on the QB practice.

for that to occur, the first couple games would need to be exempted from bowl game calculations, and coaches who overestimate their ability to evaluate in a vacuum, may still not utilize said games to evaluate and allow for in squad competition.

last yr with Williams wasn't some rare outlier, this issue exists more than many want to admit.

ya think San Fran knew what they had in Purdy last yr, till Purdy was forced into action late in the season last yr?

and had Purdy not been forced into action, San Fran probably still wouldn't know, and their team personnel decisions would still be impacted by their not knowing.

and Dexter Williams might have gone 4 yrs at IU, or transferred in disgust first, with IU never knowing.

There is a difference between making the QB live and having live tackling drills along with thud practices. Coach Allen thought he was limiting injuries last year, but they still happened and tackling hurt the Hoosier last year. Coaches always have to balance contact and avoidance of injuries, but last season went too far trying to avoid injuries.
It did and I understand that we will see more contact this year for that very reason. The risk of a potential injury cannot freeze a coach and affect an entire season negatively...we saw the results of that last year and we will see more contact this year.

There’s not any way to know that, though I agree that Coach Allen‘s decision making can be vexing.

Reactions: CC Mac
The concussions is driving this situation....the brain damage studies are really, really scary to think about what is going on....
This is a great point, as well. The physical toll of too much hitting extends to concussion injuries, many of which are acknowledged to go unreported and / or undiagnosed. All schools are hitting less, not just us. It is and has been the new normal for several years.

The concussions is driving this situation....the brain damage studies are really, really scary to think about what is going on....
If you tackle the right way and block the right way you won't get concussions in practice and only in games if your opponent hits you in the helmet.

Have we seen less heading in soccer because they lead the way in concussions due to it.

Reactions: midwolfe
thing is, absent true game conditions, you can't really begin to credibly evaluate QBs today, and especially can't fairly evaluate single vs dual threat QBs.

last yr we lost our best QB to no contact practices for the first 10 games.

it would be great if QBs could be credibly evaluated in sterile no contact situations, but they can't anymore than basketball players can be credibly evaluated just on shooting and dribbling drills.

a catch 22 dilemma i concur. damned if you don't. maybe damned if you do.

that said, if the first couple official games could be used to sort out what wasn't sorted out in practice, then that would lessen the downside of no contact on the QB practice.

for that to occur, the first couple games would need to be exempted from bowl game calculations, and coaches who overestimate their ability to evaluate in a vacuum, may still not utilize said games to evaluate and allow for in squad competition.

last yr with Williams wasn't some rare outlier, this issue exists more than many want to admit.

ya think San Fran knew what they had in Purdy last yr, till Purdy was forced into action late in the season last yr?

and had Purdy not been forced into action, San Fran probably still wouldn't know, and their team personnel decisions would still be impacted by their not knowing.

and Dexter Williams might have gone 4 yrs at IU, or transferred in disgust first, with IU never knowing.
Finally, something we agree on.

You MUST play your No. 2 QB in games. 3 if you can.

Thats part of the reason for 3 OOC games back in the day.

Now, the Big Commish has been kissing Ahia State’s ass, and hating on us, in Game 2.

2023 - we open against Ahia State
2022 - Illinois and Bielema
2021 - At ranked Iowa
2020 - Penn State

No warm ups
No chance for kids to get a taste

“Win the open day TV ratings” sacrifices some teams.

Finally, something we agree on.

You MUST play your No. 2 QB in games. 3 if you can.

Thats part of the reason for 3 OOC games back in the day.

Now, the Big Commish has been kissing Ahia State’s ass, and hating on us, in Game 2.

2023 - we open against Ahia State
2022 - Illinois and Bielema
2021 - At ranked Iowa
2020 - Penn State

No warm ups
No chance for kids to get a taste

“Win the open day TV ratings” sacrifices some teams.
It does look that the B1G schedule makers have it out for IU but IU needs to improve enough to make those teams pay to play IU. IU needs an elite QB to compete with those teams and Williams is in that category he just can't play this season. I hope this year one of the QBs prove they are elite enough to take on the big guys. We will see if coach Bell can put our QB in a position to excel.

Reactions: red hornet and td75
It does look that the B1G schedule makers have it out for IU but IU needs to improve enough to make those teams pay to play IU. IU needs an elite QB to compete with those teams and Williams is in that category he just can't play this season. I hope this year one of the QBs prove they are elite enough to take on the big guys. We will see if coach Bell can put our QB in a position to excel.
Curious as to why you consider Williams elite based on his limited body of work. Thought he did well in tough conditions against MSU and that he was solid if unspectacular in the few series he played against Purdue, but elite would seem to be generous at this point.

Curious as to why you consider Williams elite based on his limited body of work. Thought he did well in tough conditions against MSU and that he was solid if unspectacular in the few series he played against Purdue, but elite would seem to be generous at this point.
Dexter Williams didn't have much more playing time than Ivan Renko did on the hardwood. Michael Penix got thrown under the bus on his way out of town. Dexter Williams completed 13 passes for the season completing 34%.. Read those numbers! 13 completions and a 34% completion rate. And now the Hoosiers are going to build an offense around him and his bad knee. This is just absolutely crazy!

Oh wait a minute. He might not be able to even play this season. And the other quarterbacks with experience returning are - oops, there's nobody coming back! Everybody transferred out while biting their tongue. They didn't say anything bad about CTA but they didn't say anything good either. And then the running.... Oops, they all transferred out too!

But this year everybody is going to be lighter and faster. Pull my finger!

Last edited:
Reactions: jsenleo and bang63
Dexter Williams didn't have much more playing time than Ivan Renko did on the hardwood. Michael panax got thrown under the bus on his way out of town. Dexter Williams completed 13 passes for the season completing 34%.. read those numbers! 13 completions and a 34% completion rate. And now the Hoosiers are going to build an offense around him and his bad knee. This is just absolutely crazy!

Oh wait a minute. He might not be able to even play this season. And the other players were the experience returning are - oops, there's nobody coming back! Everybody transferred out while biting their tongue. They didn't say anything bad about CTA but they didn't say anything good either. And then the running.... Oops, they all transferred out too!

He‘ll be lucky to see the field this season, but we can all hope his recovery is full and that he’s able to get out there at some point. The snippet of his play that we got to see certainly showed some promise, but calling him “elite” really seems like a bit much.

Reactions: bang63 and jsenleo
Dexter Williams didn't have much more playing time than Ivan Renko did on the hardwood. Michael Penix got thrown under the bus on his way out of town. Dexter Williams completed 13 passes for the season completing 34%.. Read those numbers! 13 completions and a 34% completion rate. And now the Hoosiers are going to build an offense around him and his bad knee. This is just absolutely crazy!

Oh wait a minute. He might not be able to even play this season. And the other quarterbacks with experience returning are - oops, there's nobody coming back! Everybody transferred out while biting their tongue. They didn't say anything bad about CTA but they didn't say anything good either. And then the running.... Oops, they all transferred out too!

DW likely won't be back this season, unfortunately and IU won't build anything around him unless and until he makes a full recovery and earns that status.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT