ADVERTISEMENT

So at the end of the spring practices …

TomEric4756

All-Big Ten
Sep 20, 2021
Only Rutgers is has worse QB room talent than IU. Says,

https://saturdaytradition.com/big-t...en-quarterback-rooms-for-2023-spring-edition/

Can’t argue with “lack of experience“ … let’s prove it on the field.

13. Indiana

Tayven Jackson, Brendan Sorsby, Dexter Williams II

Jackson, a former 4-star Tennessee signee who is also the younger brother of Trayce Jackson-Davis, is a heck of a get for the Hoosiers. But his first year as a starter on a bad team is going to be more about building a bridge to Indiana competing in 2024.

Sorsby is likely to be the backup. Williams, who gave Indiana’s offense a major jolt late in the season, might not even be back this year after tearing multiple knee ligaments against Purdue.

14. Rutgers

Gavin Wimsatt, Evan Simon

New offensive coordinator Kirk Ciarrocca has his work cut out for him if he’s going to get anything out of Rutgers’ quarterbacks.

Last year, Simon completed 57.7% of his passes for 4 touchdowns, 6 interceptions and an average of 5.7 yards per attempt. Wimsatt completed 44.8% of his passes for 5 touchdowns, 7 interceptions and an average of 5.2 yards per attempt.

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
Only Rutgers is has worse QB room talent than IU. Says,

https://saturdaytradition.com/big-t...en-quarterback-rooms-for-2023-spring-edition/

Can’t argue with “lack of experience“ … let’s prove it on the field.

13. Indiana

Tayven Jackson, Brendan Sorsby, Dexter Williams II

Jackson, a former 4-star Tennessee signee who is also the younger brother of Trayce Jackson-Davis, is a heck of a get for the Hoosiers. But his first year as a starter on a bad team is going to be more about building a bridge to Indiana competing in 2024.

Sorsby is likely to be the backup. Williams, who gave Indiana’s offense a major jolt late in the season, might not even be back this year after tearing multiple knee ligaments against Purdue.

14. Rutgers

Gavin Wimsatt, Evan Simon

New offensive coordinator Kirk Ciarrocca has his work cut out for him if he’s going to get anything out of Rutgers’ quarterbacks.

Last year, Simon completed 57.7% of his passes for 4 touchdowns, 6 interceptions and an average of 5.7 yards per attempt. Wimsatt completed 44.8% of his passes for 5 touchdowns, 7 interceptions and an average of 5.2 yards per attempt.
"Talent" or Situation? To me there is a difference. I would describe out talent to be much better than our current QB situation.

"Talent" or Situation? To me there is a difference. I would describe out talent to be much better than our current QB situation.
Clearly situation is a factor …
…. But his first year as a starter on a bad team is going …
OSU, ranked 5th includes …
… Based on history, the winner may well end up being an all-Big Ten quarterback. We just don’t know that yet.

Until IUFB shows things are different the rooms at each position will be seen as worse in the B1G. I think IUFB is better than that but without proof others will look at the past two years to show IU isn't very good. The only way we will know is how they do this year. Coach Bostad is a big boost but if talent is an issue he can only do so much.

IU will show the first game against OSU how good our players are. Until then, I and everyone else is just speculating.

More blogger commentary:

https://www.crimsonquarry.com/2023/...-play-will-make-or-break-hoosiers-2023-season

says Allen is running out of time …

But Indiana is in a unique position compared to recent seasons. The Hoosiers have had some form of starting experience at the position just about all of Tom’s years in Bloomington, but that’s not so this year.

Tayven Jackson, a transfer from Tennessee, and Brendan Sorsby, in his second year with the program, are both redshirt freshmen who have combined for just ten passing attempts in their short college football careers thus far.

Until IUFB shows things are different the rooms at each position will be seen as worse in the B1G. I think IUFB is better than that but without proof others will look at the past two years to show IU isn't very good. The only way we will know is how they do this year. Coach Bostad is a big boost but if talent is an issue he can only do so much.

IU will show the first game against OSU how good our players are. Until then, I and everyone else is just speculating.
It'll be ugly...
I've not talked to one person who thinks Indiana will come close to 6 wins...

The Hoosiers lost 10 of their top 11 tacklers on defense. The majority of their offensive skill players transferred. The offensive line was a disaster and the most recent recruiting class was ranked somewhere in the 80s.

Suffice it to say that there is considerable room for improvement before the game against the Buckeyes, who incidentally had 75,000 people at their spring game yesterday which included tackling.

Reactions: jsenleo
The key to the entire 2023 season, in my opinion, is the Offensive Line play and whether or not they've learned how to pass block versus just doing an 0le' move and yelling "look out" to the QB (and I'm not so sure they even bothered to always do that last Fall)...

IIWTA (translation: If I were Tom Allen), I'd fight my urge to go balanced in this latest version of the Transfer Portal and go heavy on bringing in Offensive Tackles... In my opinion, he needs to find an actual starter at Left Tackle and at least one more guy who can adequately fill in at Right Tackle, along with another guy who can help as needed all along the line... We Need both starters and depth to give Bostad actual talent to work with...

That last guy probably isn't to be found in the Transfer Portal so I'd just do my best to bring in the first two... Whether we get them or not could very well make or break the entire season...

The key to the entire 2023 season, in my opinion, is the Offensive Line play and whether or not they've learned how to pass block versus just doing an 0le' move and yelling "look out" to the QB (and I'm not so sure they even bothered to always do that last Fall)...

IIWTA (translation: If I were Tom Allen), I'd fight my urge to go balanced in this latest version of the Transfer Portal and go heavy on bringing in Offensive Tackles... In my opinion, he needs to find an actual starter at Left Tackle and at least one more guy who can adequately fill in at Right Tackle, along with another guy who can help as needed all along the line... We Need both starters and depth to give Bostad actual talent to work with...

That last guy probably isn't to be found in the Transfer Portal so I'd just do my best to bring in the first two... Whether we get them or not could very well make or break the entire season...
Now that coach Bostad has worked with the OL, I am sure he will tell coach Allen if he has the talent or needs to bring in more talent. I trust coach Bostad to know if the talent is there in the OL room or not. I think the talent is there; it just needs to be developed which is happening with coach Bostad.

The Hoosiers lost 10 of their top 11 tacklers on defense. The majority of their offensive skill players transferred. The offensive line was a disaster and the most recent recruiting class was ranked somewhere in the 80s.

Suffice it to say that there is considerable room for improvement before the game against the Buckeyes, who incidentally had 75,000 people at their spring game yesterday which included tackling.
The attendance difference is a statement on how awful the mentality of IU fans is, not on the quality of the teams. Absolutely perfect weather, events planned to cater to kids and free food, and appalling attendance. Why would IU want to put the spring game on TV and advertise such a humiliating atmosphere?

Imagine Assembly Hall being that empty for Hoosier Hysteria, regardless of the status of the team.
You can't, because IU fans have their sports priorities completely and utterly backwards.

Last edited:
The attendance difference is a statement on how awful the mentality of IU fans is, not on the quality of the teams. Absolutely perfect weather, evens planned to cater to kids and free food, and appalling attendance. Why would IU want to put the spring game on TV and advertise such a humiliating atmosphere?

Imagine Assembly Hall being that empty for Hoosier Hysteria, regardless of the status of the team.
You can't, because IU fans have their sports priorities completely and utterly backwards.
Absolutely no disrespect intended, but this is spot on IMO. We have a long way to go as a fanbase. We can do it, but it will take those that believe to step up in support of the coaches, the players, and the administration. Small steps are being taken now...and I believe big steps will be there soon. Big part of it is winning - but when the team needs us THE MOST is when it's tough.

And I apologize - I cannot see the message you are responding to. So I may be a bit out of context.

Attendance is all about winning. This year Hoosier women's basketball attendance jumped from about 4,300 to 7,400. Everybody loves a winner.

I am sure the Hoosiers will draw a great crowd for opening game against Ohio State. The result of that game will set the tone for the rest of the season as far as attendance goes. Fingers crossed...

SI FN Newcomer rundown … after practice 14.

We’ll have depth at WR and RB … Borstad needs to make a difference with the OL.

I think EJ was the bright spot for O transfers in.
He appears to be an upgrade for the WRs that hit the portal.
think we’ll see some snaps with EJ at X and Camper at Y.
Colby and McCulley will need to bring their A games to fall practice.

RB by committee again … let’s hope the rotations get better results …
Shriver up the middle for 18 inches didn’t get it done last year. Turner looks better built to run inside.

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/...2023-ej-williams-christian-turner-max-longman

"E.J. is long and athletic," Allen said. "He can run, and has great ball skills. Very, very elite player out of high school. To me, I expect him to come here and play his best football, and really excited about having a chance to connect with him and develop him as a man, as a player, and just excited about what he brings to us athletically."

Turner carried the ball 128 times in 2022, generating 516 yards and seven touchdowns. Across two seasons at Wake Forest, the 5-foot-11, 207-pound Turner averaged 4.0 yards per carry and caught nine passes for 68 yards and a touchdown.

"I think Max being an older transfer, he brings experience to the offensive line," Indiana offensive lineman Mike Katic said. "He seems like it's not that big of an adjustment for him just because he's worked with coach Bell, as well, at UMass."

Last edited:

Longman may be the guy to help up and down the line … seeking a starting tackle will depend on Bostads assessment of Sales #77.

The attendance difference is a statement on how awful the mentality of IU fans is, not on the quality of the teams. Absolutely perfect weather, events planned to cater to kids and free food, and appalling attendance. Why would IU want to put the spring game on TV and advertise such a humiliating atmosphere?

an event absent even minimal publicizing, catering to very young kids, starting at 11 am, is non committal on whether there will be scrimmaging or not, or how much, isn't going to bring out fans or IU students, and almost seems like it was designed to minimize turnout as much as possible.

a third grader could have organized something better,

seems the IU mindset on fans is, don't bother us, just send money.

an event absent even minimal publicizing, catering to very young kids, starting at 11 am, is non committal on whether there will be scrimmaging or not, or how much, isn't going to bring out fans or IU students, and almost seems like it was designed to minimize turnout as much as possible.

Add a post-event follow-up by CTA that was poorly staged and was Creanesque in it's ramblings. The video highlights would have been better if someone had filmed it using their cell phone. A high School production would have looked much better.

I'd be more inclined to go if I knew IU was committed to winning.

The few good years were a lot of fun but the past couple weren't. I hope this year is better but what have they shown since the two standout coordinators left? I like Allen but holding on to the o line coach when it was clear as day he wasn't getting it done. Hiring a o coordinator without much of a positive track record. The craziness around managing the QB position. The revolving door at running back. The defense Allen took over which then got worse.

Kind of ridiculous to compare the fan support between the bball and fball programs, in my view. I think the fans have a right to be skeptical.

Recall that last year the consensus here was that we had enough to work with but Hiller was holding them back. We cannot move the goal posts on this one. We have the same personnel as last year, essentially, and if it’s like last year, Bostad may not be the answer.

For a University that houses some of the best Marketing minds and programs on the planet, the event was poorly marketed and the attendance met the effort.

There were fundraising activitiesand meetings to the side, but the event itself had a miserable turnout.

Add a post-event follow-up by CTA that was poorly staged and was Creanesque in it's ramblings. The video highlights would have been better if someone had filmed it using their cell phone. A high School production would have looked much better.
I’ve both defended and promoted Dolson as a breath of fresh air and an avid football supporter in his role as AD, especially in light of the circumstances that led to the exit of his predecessor, but the athletic department simply must do better. Fan support is critical right now and they seem to take what little (comparatively) we have for granted. That’s unfortunate and unnecessary. Will be interested to see if SD starts to learn his lessons on some of this stuff or if he continues to stumble too often.

For a University that houses some of the best Marketing minds and programs on the planet, the event was poorly marketed and the attendance met the effort.

There were fundraising activitiesand meetings to the side, but the event itself had a miserable turnout.
Mindboggling as to why Coach Allen and STAFF don't appear to be more involved with IU students and Bloomington community. Hep IIRC promoted IUFB to the sororities and fraternities consistently. I know they're damn busy but they need to own Bloomington and Monroe county. Gotta start building a fan base with school kids and their families. Churches are almost always receptive being VIPs at events their congregations are invited to. Make your goal 1500 butts this year, next year 2500 and then keep marching. Hell tom cats wouldn't get results if they they didn't set on the fence hollering invitations. If you want a harmonious outcome, plan it.

Mindboggling as to why Coach Allen and STAFF don't appear to be more involved with IU students and Bloomington community. Hep IIRC promoted IUFB to the sororities and fraternities consistently. I know they're damn busy but they need to own Bloomington and Monroe county. Gotta start building a fan base with school kids and their families. Churches are almost always receptive being VIPs at events their congregations are invited to. Make your goal 1500 butts this year, next year 2500 and then keep marching. Hell tom cats wouldn't get results if they they didn't set on the fence hollering invitations. If you want a harmonious outcome, plan it.
Tough for us to say how connected they are to the campus life. Crazy if they are not, and Hep did make all the rounds to greek and dorms as well. They sure as hell want money, and that is fine but they need promotion as the third leg of the stool. Scott is not the promoter Fred was and he needs to sell the program. He heard that over the weekend.

because of a geographic and numbers anomoly, IU always was at a huge recruiting disadvantage to other B10 schools.

growing up i didn't care, just having a team and getting to attend games was beyond great.

the expansion of the number of bowl teams and the number of fans who see their whole yr dependent on that vacation opportunity, the beyond absurd coaching salaries, and the sky high ticket prices for admission to a stadium that's 1/3rd empty that have priced a big percent of fans out of attending, have placed an exponentially greater emphasis on winning than is even healthy.

that said, even back in the day when tickets were relatively cheap, (as was tuition), and 42-7 loses were too much the norm, IU always put on a great spring game, often as part of Little 5 weekend that was more expansive than now's, and had open scrimmages and practices besides just the spring game.

now coaches make 5 mil a yr, assistant coaches more than surgeons and many times what most profs make, fans see their entire yr dependent on a bowl game vacation, and tickets cost a small fortune with parking costing way more than the game used to cost.

all of which has put a very unhealthy emphasis on winning and obsessive secrecy associated with the opening game only, rather than enjoying a game and a day on campus.

instead a very unhealthy emphasis on winning due to the now financial sacrifice of attending to many fans, the obsession with a bowl game vacation, and coaches potentially having literally millions on the line every game.

most programs still put on a spring game, and many have open scrimmages.

that IU's coaches who are financially set for life now have too much money on the line to do that, and don't like being bothered with giving back to the fans who finance their absurd salaries, is beyond sad.

the coaches now have more pressure and riches on the line than what allows for giving even minimally back to fans.

thus the administration needs to take some decision making out of said coaches' hands.

Last edited:

Indiana fans certainly do have their sports priorities backwards. It's pathetic to be honest.

Care for some friendly skin on this? IU football wins 3 or less, I will send in $500 to Hoosiers Connect. Four or more IU wins and you send in $500 to Hoosiers Connect. Proof of payment required.
No. It would put me in the position of having to root against myself. I also don’t have an extra $500.

Reactions: bang63
because of a geographic and numbers anomoly, IU always was at a huge recruiting disadvantage to other B10 schools.

growing up i didn't care, just having a team and getting to attend games was beyond great.

the expansion of the number of bowl teams and the number of fans who see their whole yr dependent on that vacation opportunity, the beyond absurd coaching salaries, and the sky high ticket prices for admission to a stadium that's 1/3rd empty that have priced a big percent of fans out of attending, have placed an exponentially greater emphasis on winning than is even healthy.

that said, even back in the day when tickets were relatively cheap, (as was tuition), and 42-7 loses were too much the norm, IU always put on a great spring game, often as part of Little 5 weekend that was more expansive than now's, and had open scrimmages and practices besides just the spring game.

now coaches make 5 mil a yr, assistant coaches more than surgeons and many times what most profs make, fans see their entire yr dependent on a bowl game vacation, and tickets cost a small fortune with parking costing way more than the game used to cost.

all of which has put a very unhealthy emphasis on winning and obsessive secrecy associated with the opening game only, rather than enjoying a game and a day on campus, due to the now financial sacrifice of attending to many fans, the obsession with a bowl game vacation, and coaches potentially having literally millions on the line every game.

most programs still put on a spring game, and many have open scrimmages.

that IU's coaches who are financially set for life now have too much money on the line to do that, and don't like being bothered with giving back to the fans who finance their absurd salaries, is a beyond sad.

the coaches now have more pressure and riches on the line than what allows for giving even minimally back to fans.

thus the administration needs to take some decision making out of said coaches' hands.
Yawn

Care for some friendly skin on this? IU football wins 3 or less, I will send in $500 to Hoosiers Connect. Four or more IU wins and you send in $500 to Hoosiers Connect. Proof of payment required.
I will join you on this quest and pay in another $200 if IU wins 3 or less but I doubt we get taken up on this.

Reactions: DThompson
Sounds like a typical season for IU football.
Which is the reason for the lack of fan support for a spring practice. It takes a special type of fan to want to go to something like that to begin with, that type of fan becomes even more rare when most of them can count winning seasons in their lifetime on one hand.

Bloomington is a just fine small city and the IU campus is very pretty, neither of those things is getting me up and on the road to make a trek down to Bloomington to watch a perennial loser practice. Call that harsh or not a real fan or whatever, but that is reality. (To be fair though, I probably am not doing that if I am an Ohio State fan either...sounds boring as hell).

I will join you on this quest and pay in another $200 if IU wins 3 or less but I doubt we get taken up on this.
3 or 4 wins..
That's pure junk any way you look at it.
The screaming for CTA to be gone. Will be in full effect by Halloween..
And I like the guy..He's been given time.
And he can't get it done..
So it's time to move on...

Years ago the athletic department came up with a brilliant idea a week or so before the Michigan game to offer tickets for $1 if you contributed any article of blue clothing. For example, you could walk in with a used blue sock and $1 and get into the Michigan game. The the.e was called "Ban the Blue".

The message it sent was twofold: first, it was not worth paying money to watch Indiana play football even against a legendary program like Michigan; and second, next time you are going to an Indiana football game wait until the last minute to buy a ticket because you might be able to get in essentially for free.

Fast forward to the spring game last weekend. No commitment that there was going to be a scrimmage. Rather it was going to be some sort of event and free food would be provided. And admission was free. The program that ran out of pizza at the Purdue game in a stadium full of bird shit was going to offer free food and let you wander around the field to meet the players! Still no confirmation about the rules of engagement on the field. Rumor had it that they were not going to keep score or keep track of down or distance.

Meanwhile Ohio State was selling 75,000 tickets for their game. And Neon Deon has sold 35,000 seats for the April 22nd Colorado Buffaloes scrimmage.

The Hoosier athletic department essentially sent out a message that Indiana University no longer has a functioning football program. It's not enough that the event is free. But if you show up we will feed you for free also. And still people did not show up. The apathy about Indiana football is not something that happened overnight. It has literally taken decades to develop this level of indifference. I have no idea of what the Hoosiers could do to break this cycle. Other than putting a competitive team on the field.

Last edited:
Attendance is all about winning. This year Hoosier women's basketball attendance jumped from about 4,300 to 7,400. Everybody loves a winner.

I am sure the Hoosiers will draw a great crowd for opening game against Ohio State. The result of that game will set the tone for the rest of the season as far as attendance goes. Fingers crossed...
IMO attendance is rooted in culture, winning is a huge part of establishing a culture so it obviously plays a major role overall, but at the end of the day if we want the IUFB fanbase to be respectable, there needs to be a major culture shift from both the students and the alumni.

Unfortunately it's very difficult to change the culture of a fanbase, for better or worse. It's a decades long process, Wisco was able to do it and tip of the cap to them, but it didn't happen over night and it didn't happen with one flash in the pan season. Look at Nebraska football fans, UNL has been as mediocre as Illinois, PU, or Minnesota the last decade yet they fill a 90,000 seat stadium every time their beloved Cornhuskers take the field. These are UNL students that have no firsthand memories of Nebraska being any more than mediocre, so why do they fill the stadium every Saturday in the fall? Again I go back to culture, that dedication to UNL football was established decades ago and even though the program is not what it was and probably never will be, the UNL fanbase still shows up week in and week out.

I had hoped after 2020 that Tom Allen could be the kind of guy to change the culture of the fanbase, but my optimism for that has all but dissipated and at this point, it feels like a run out the contract and reset situation.

This is like the rise and fall of the Bill Mallory years. The big difference is that Bill Mallory did not get a $25 million departing gift. And Mallory did not leave the program worse than he found it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT