ADVERTISEMENT

Sleepers

It’s nowhere close to $10mil if you actually break it down. We currently have 11 scholarship players. $10 million for 11 scholarship players is $900k+ a player. Factor in guys like Cupps and Newton who are likely barely making 6 figures, if at all, it would mean you’d have several guys making over a million. I call hogwash.

I’d guess Ballo is pushing 7 figures with guys like Reneau and Mgbako making mid to high 6 figures. I could see Tucker, Rice and Carlyle all making $500-600k a piece. IU has a huge NIL war chest, more than maybe all but a handful of teams. But they aren’t spending anywhere close to $10mil this year.
Actually, Cupps was a pretty big earner already. His connection to LBJ and social media presence is pretty large. The top 6 took up 4-5 million probably.

Reactions: Cavanagh
Actually, Cupps was a pretty big earner already. His connection to LBJ and social media presence is pretty large. The top 6 took up 4-5 million probably.
I'm talking strictly from the Indiana collectives. I don't think Leal, Cupps, Newton, Goode are getting that much from the collectives let alone sniffing $900k each which would be the average if IU spent close to $10mil this offseason. $6million is the number I've seen floated.

Ballo--$1 mil
Reneau/Mgbako--$800k
Carlyle/Rice/Tucker---$600k
Galloway--$400k
Goode/Leal/Newton/Cupps--$200k

That's $5.5mil and those are probably high end projections I might add. Still a lot of money being thrown out there and either at the top or very close to the top in all of college basketball. But $10mil is pretty absurd if you actually break it down.

I'm talking strictly from the Indiana collectives. I don't think Leal, Cupps, Newton, Goode are getting that much from the collectives let alone sniffing $900k each which would be the average if IU spent close to $10mil this offseason. $6million is the number I've seen floated.

Ballo--$1 mil
Reneau/Mgbako--$800k
Galloway--$400k

That's $5.5mil and those are probably high end projections I might add. Still a lot of money being thrown out there and either at the top or very close to the top in all of college basketball. But $10mil is pretty absurd if you actually break it down.
All those numbers are low IMO.

Ballo I’d say 1.3-1.5
Mack Malik 1M
Carlyle/rice/tucker 750-1M
Gallo Cupps 500k
Leal Goode 3-400k
Newton 250k

Washington just got a guy that is getting 2 million. Was the highest paid player that was public knowledge.

Reactions: kkott
All those numbers are low IMO.

Ballo I’d say 1.3-1.5
Mack Malik 1M
Carlyle/rice/tucker 750-1M
Gallo Cupps 500k
Leal Goode 3-400k
Newton 250k

Washington just got a guy that is getting 2 million. Was the highest paid player that was public knowledge.
The rumored # for Ballo was $1.2mil and you had national guys saying IU likely didn't have to spend that much. Mack and Malik are making closer to $750k than a million and there isn't a chance in hell Cupps is getting $500k from the collectives.

Reactions: IUgradman
The rumored # for Ballo was $1.2mil and you had national guys saying IU likely didn't have to spend that much. Mack and Malik are making closer to $750k than a million and there isn't a chance in hell Cupps is getting $500k from the collectives.
Cupps has an insane following on social media. He has deals that have nothing to do with the collectives, as do a lot of these players. Malik for example has a burger from a local place and a deal with a car place. Nothing to do with collectives. Just more money.

I gave private deals. Now people with a lot more money than me are doing it. Jason Millican hired Anthony leal. Mack has a deal with crocs. List goes on and on from non collective money.

Cupps has an insane following on social media. He has deals that have nothing to do with the collectives, as do a lot of these players. Malik for example has a burger from a local place and a deal with a car place. Nothing to do with collectives. Just more money.
Right, I alluded to that. I'm strictly talking the money paid out by collectives. There isn't a chance in hell the IU collectives shelled out $500k to retain Cupps. Somebody else or some entity may be paying Cupps a total of $500k, but it's not coming from the collectives, which is the primary source of NIL funding.

Right, I alluded to that. I'm strictly talking the money paid out by collectives. There isn't a chance in hell the IU collectives shelled out $500k to retain Cupps. Somebody else or some entity may be paying Cupps a total of $500k, but it's not coming from the collectives, which is the primary source of NIL funding.
If you mentioned that I glanced over it. My point is These guys are making closer to 10 mil than 5 mil in total.

If you mentioned that I glanced over it. My point is These guys are making closer to 10 mil than 5 mil in total.
And that may be the case, but you initially stated that IU spent closer to $10mil this offseason. I infer collectives when "IU spent" is mentioned. I'm guessing the collectives spent somewhere in the range of $5-6m, not closer to $10m. Still a very large and competitive figure either way.

Ballo--$1 mil
Reneau/Mgbako--$800k
Galloway--$400k

For what it's worth you're in line with what I estimated from little data points that sometimes leak out.

The big football programs are reportedly paying $11-15M for their large rosters. I doubt a bball roster is getting close to big time football program roster spend.

Our NIL war chest for bball is supposedly around $10M. I think many NIL deals are over two years, so it makes sense that we don't spend all of that in one year, and we sort of allocate it over two years at $5-6M/year.

I gave private deals. Now people with a lot more money than me are doing it. Jason Millican hired Anthony leal. Mack has a deal with crocs. List goes on and on from non collective money.
The non-collective $ is very interesting. I don't have any read or idea on what those figures may be.

No actually. You made it worse. So tell me then....why does IU settle for someone way down on the list every time they are looking for a coach? Not a good job? Can't make any $ at IU? Can't get talent at IU? Poor facilities at IU? No tradition? Not enough exposure/following? Cmon...tell me oh wise one.
Have they settled or are they really bad at hiring?

Ballo--$1 mil
Reneau/Mgbako--$800k
Galloway--$400k

Collectives or not our roster is making bank. It’s no coincidence some is from the collectives and some is from outside. NIL deals are still NIL deals. They all count. Our fan base/donors are giving us top 3 NIL money and it’s obviously more than 5-6 million.

The non-collective $ is very interesting. I don't have any read or idea on what those figures may be.
If memory serves, TJD's deal with Merchants Bank was rumored to be $500k. Thompson supposedly had a six figure deal with them too.

TJD also had a deal with Penzoil and Adidas.

Reactions: Cavanagh
If memory serves, TJD's deal with Merchants Bank was rumored to be $500k. Thompson supposedly had a six figure deal with them too.

Thanks. Wow, those outside collective deals are more than I thought.

I knew there was an Adidas deal for TJD. Benefits of being a priority Adidas school.

Our NIL for bball is pretty amazing.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Thanks. Wow, those outside collective deals are more than I thought.

I knew there was an Adidas deal for TJD. Benefits of being a priority Adidas school.

Our NIL for bball is pretty amazing.
Hopefully football can catch up and get competitive on the field and in NIL too. Imagine the shape we'd be in if football was even moderately successful year in and year out? A rising tide lifts all boats and all that jazz.

Hopefully football can catch up and get competitive on the field and in NIL too. Imagine the shape we'd be in if football was even moderately successful year in and year out? A rising tide lifts all boats and all that jazz.
I saw somewhere that $6-7M gets you a mid-pack B1G FB roster. I think we are $3-4M right now. Some winning and we could get there.

The other thing with football is we can quickly get $8-10M+ of athletic dept revenue if we get attendance closer to 48-50K/game. It’s the boat lifter for the athletic dept like you said (aside from TV deals sending us huge amounts of $).

Reactions: hookyIU1990
I saw somewhere that $6-7M gets you a mid-pack B1G FB roster. I think we are $3-4M right now. Some winning and we could get there.

The other thing with football is we can quickly get $8-10M+ of athletic dept revenue if we get attendance closer to 48-50K/game. It’s the boat lifter for the athletic dept like you said (aside from TV deals sending us huge amounts of $).
Issue for IU is the power house programs in the Midwest to compete with for recruits.
OSU
Michigan
ND

They were paid well but not nearly that much by Merchants. And I've got that on record from a very good family friend who serves on the board at Merchants. $75-100k/yr is more in the ballpark range.

This is and always has been, completely wrong. Coaches can easily see the opposite, that we didn't run coaches out of town.
No coach in 25 years as done anything that would scare any other coaches. They all will feel they can do better.
Then why does Indiana always settle for their 4-7th choice for coach?

Did you hear when they were talking about Dusty May? I found that interesting. They seemed to feel that Dusty would still consider coming to IU, after UM, where I thought his going to UM pretty much ended our chances. I think they feel that IU's NIL is so much greater than UM that it makes our job more desireable. They asked if they thought DM would win an NC, and they pretty much said yes, but not at UM. UK and IU were the 2 programs they mentioned he might go to. They also said, imagine what Dusty would do with IU's NIL. I just think if he makes UM successful, they'll start getting more NIL funds. We'll see.
National championship football programs cost a lot to maintain, though. Of course, Michigan made the mistake of hiring the assistant who’s never been in such a high level position.

• Haha
Reactions: kkott
What Cupps and Leal are doing is the original concept for NIL.

The Next step was organized charity work such as Hoosiers For Good

Now there are just cash dumpsters to use on deals.

Reactions: Zero Credibility
Sampson and Crean were definitely not 4-7th and neither was Archie. Woody is the only hire that we went off the grid on.
If you believe that it's only off of your own assumption. Crean was not top 5 on their list. Neither was Miller,or Woodson.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT