ADVERTISEMENT

Sleepers

kkott

Hall of Famer
Oct 26, 2001
Started listening to these guys last year, to hear outside perspective on our program and the rest of the B10. Felt they really enjoy trolling and trashing Hoosiers as MSU/UM guys, but do think they get good info, and they were certainly right about us last year. They love what CMW has done this year. They did an IU v PU analysis position by position and I think wound up giving IU a 4-1 advantage. They do hang on PU's nutsack however and I think at least 1 so far has predicted Braden as B10 POY, and believe right now those are the 2 best rosters in the B10. They both ranked PU around 9/10 and had IU just behind. They now seem to be enjoying trashing Woody, which is an improvement for ragging on a freshman Gabe Cupps all year.

Big year for Woody. Time for IU to accomplish something besides making the tourney. I think this team should be playing for a B10 title and surviving beyond the first week of the tourney.

Started listening to these guys last year, to hear outside perspective on our program and the rest of the B10. Felt they really enjoy trolling and trashing Hoosiers as MSU/UM guys, but do think they get good info, and they were certainly right about us last year. They love what CMW has done this year. They did an IU v PU analysis position by position and I think wound up giving IU a 4-1 advantage. They do hang on PU's nutsack however and I think at least 1 so far has predicted Braden as B10 POY, and believe right now those are the 2 best rosters in the B10. They both ranked PU around 9/10 and had IU just behind. They now seem to be enjoying trashing Woody, which is an improvement for ragging on a freshman Gabe Cupps all year.

Big year for Woody. Time for IU to accomplish something besides making the tourney. I think this team should be playing for a B10 title and surviving beyond the first week of the tourney.

I watch them too, and you're right, their obsession with Braden Smith is disgusting.

Imagine a top-10 coach with our NIL budget....
Did you hear when they were talking about Dusty May? I found that interesting. They seemed to feel that Dusty would still consider coming to IU, after UM, where I thought his going to UM pretty much ended our chances. I think they feel that IU's NIL is so much greater than UM that it makes our job more desireable. They asked if they thought DM would win an NC, and they pretty much said yes, but not at UM. UK and IU were the 2 programs they mentioned he might go to. They also said, imagine what Dusty would do with IU's NIL. I just think if he makes UM successful, they'll start getting more NIL funds. We'll see.

Smith will have to prove to me that he can get his own shot and adequately guard his position. I think they will spend some time out of the top 25 this year.

Dusty.....let's see if they win 10 conference games with that roster. Anything over that then he's doing a great job in his first year with big boy pants on. 👖

If Woody is planning on the pivot to Mgbako at the 4 then I think we're (talent wise) are a final 4 team. No one except Kansas maybe has a better 8 players.

Did you hear when they were talking about Dusty May? I found that interesting. They seemed to feel that Dusty would still consider coming to IU, after UM, where I thought his going to UM pretty much ended our chances. I think they feel that IU's NIL is so much greater than UM that it makes our job more desireable. They asked if they thought DM would win an NC, and they pretty much said yes, but not at UM. UK and IU were the 2 programs they mentioned he might go to. They also said, imagine what Dusty would do with IU's NIL. I just think if he makes UM successful, they'll start getting more NIL funds. We'll see.

Yeah, I thought that was interesting too. Would be hilarious to pull a coach from a conference rival. If Woody struggles again this year and gets fired, I wonder if our NIL spending will pique the interest of top-tier coaches. Coaches want the best players and stability within their programs, and a large NIL budget affords both.

Reactions: IUgradman
Yeah, I thought that was interesting too. Would be hilarious to pull a coach from a conference rival. If Woody struggles again this year and gets fired, I wonder if our NIL spending will pique the interest of top-tier coaches. Coaches want the best players and stability within their programs, and a large NIL budget affords both.
See Kentucky last year.

Reactions: kkott
How much are we spending?

Any coach would be crazy not to come to Indiana with our fan base and NIL support. Getting the right coach is the last key ingredient..
It's all timing. What's different about IU than UK, and I doubt Mark Pope was their first, or even second choice, although seems most there like what he's doing. Roy said no to UNC once, and then was receptive the second time because things had soured with his AD. It's going to suck if Dusty tears it up at UM, because he was ready to move and it will sting if Woody flames out and we're struggling to find a coach at that time.

That’s how much was reportedly available. I want to know what was actually spent.

Malik didn't even think about the transfer portal, Mack didn't even think about the NBA/going pro. Kanaan and Rice committed before stepping foot on campus because of the money. Ballo had a public ask of a crazy number and we swooped him up quick. Tucker waited to see his options on NIL, guess who?

This year other than Arkansas and KU, I don't think any team is even remotely close to our spending. Exact numbers who knows. I would put it higher than 6 million tho. Closer to 10

Any coach would be crazy not to come to Indiana with our fan base and NIL support. Getting the right coach is the last key ingredient..
Our fan base deters coaches from coming here. Irrational expectations are every coaches worst enemy.

Our fan base deters coaches from coming here. Irrational expectations are every coaches worst enemy.
Woody won one tourney game in his first two years and he had strong support going into year three.

Crean was left alone for three long years to rebuild.

Our fans aren’t that demanding, this isn’t UK. It’s amazing we have so much fan support after the last 25 years. Prospective coaches will see the fans as a huge positive, not a negative.

It's all timing. What's different about IU than UK, and I doubt Mark Pope was their first, or even second choice, although seems most there like what he's doing. Roy said no to UNC once, and then was receptive the second time because things had soured with his AD. It's going to suck if Dusty tears it up at UM, because he was ready to move and it will sting if Woody flames out and we're struggling to find a coach at that time.
Yea. If Dusty is doing well such that he is a target whenever IU looks for a coach again, it will be tough to get him out of UM. He will have a system in place there and if he wins, their NIL may improve too.

Reactions: IUgradman
Woody won one tourney game in his first two years and he had strong support going into year three.

Crean was left alone for three long years to rebuild.

Our fans aren’t that demanding, this isn’t UK. It’s amazing we have so much fan support after the last 25 years. Prospective coaches will see the fans as a huge positive, not a negative.
Ok. 16 years. Tom Crean,Archie Miller,Mike Woodson. You think any of those 3 were in the top 3 on the search list for their respective hire years? The fan base thinks it's 40 years ago still. It's not a secret. We aren't as demanding as UK?....is that why they just hired the 5th guy on their list(a former player that nobody wanted,sound familiar?). There's 0 reason for an established,big time coach to come here. And it has everything to do with the fan base

• Haha
Reactions: hookyIU1990
Ok. 16 years. Tom Crean,Archie Miller,Mike Woodson. You think any of those 3 were in the top 3 on the search list for their respective hire years? The fan base thinks it's 40 years ago still. It's not a secret. We aren't as demanding as UK?....is that why they just hired the 5th guy on their list(a former player that nobody wanted,sound familiar?). There's 0 reason for an established,big time coach to come here. And it has everything to do with the fan base
Stupid post.

You post some of the stupidest shit I've ever read. On the premie you're whining that poor Woodson can't win because his backcourt doesn't have 5 stars. Always somebody else's fault isn't it?

Reactions: WhyisIUBBcursed
It's ok. Try harder
Not really worth typing with that stupid of a comment. Coaching mens college basketball requires one of the biggest egos known to man. To think a coach would be afraid to live up to expectations and not win enough is one of the stupidest things you could write.

So, you are wrong, 100%. Don’t type on the subject anymore.

Better response?

Not really worth typing with that stupid of a comment. Coaching mens college basketball requires one of the biggest egos known to man. To think a coach would be afraid to live up to expectations and not win enough is one of the stupidest things you could write.

So, you are wrong, 100%. Don’t type on the subject anymore.

Better response?
No actually. You made it worse. So tell me then....why does IU settle for someone way down on the list every time they are looking for a coach? Not a good job? Can't make any $ at IU? Can't get talent at IU? Poor facilities at IU? No tradition? Not enough exposure/following? Cmon...tell me oh wise one.

Malik didn't even think about the transfer portal, Mack didn't even think about the NBA/going pro. Kanaan and Rice committed before stepping foot on campus because of the money. Ballo had a public ask of a crazy number and we swooped him up quick. Tucker waited to see his options on NIL, guess who?

This year other than Arkansas and KU, I don't think any team is even remotely close to our spending. Exact numbers who knows. I would put it higher than 6 million tho. Closer to 10
So it’s speculation. People post like they know and they don’t know.

I doubt our NIL spend is closer to $10M, the big boy football programs spend around $11-15M on their huge football rosters.

I’d guess we are around $5M or a little higher. Our total collectives support that level for two years, which is smart since you need to commit to players for more than one year. If you add up broad estimates of what all our players likely make it adds up to around $5M.

It’s reported KU was the highest NIL spend last year with over $4M.

IU has one of the highest NIL budgets in college basketball. That’s all that matters.

• Haha
Reactions: Zero Credibility

My thought was definitely higher than 6. Someone I believe would have a pretty good handle on it told me the number he heard last year was 5 million and I would guess this year's team cost a lot more. Factoring in the increase in payments, I'd say 10 million wouldn't be out of the question, but sure seems like we'd have spent at least 50% more this year.

Still holding out for Beard or Pearl doubt May would leave after one year. I also doubt we're that bad next season Woodson gets fired.

Have faith 🙏.

I'm driving home from Mass and my thoughts about Woody are very positive. He did everything last year but come out and say his team was soft and not particularly high in basketball IQ. This is the best roster to start a season since Cody/VO 's last year. The learning curve is over.

My thought was definitely higher than 6. Someone I believe would have a pretty good handle on it told me the number he heard last year was 5 million and I would guess this year's team cost a lot more. Factoring in the increase in payments, I'd say 10 million wouldn't be out of the question, but sure seems like we'd have spent at least 50% more this year.
It’s nowhere close to $10mil if you actually break it down. We currently have 11 scholarship players. $10 million for 11 scholarship players is $900k+ a player. Factor in guys like Cupps and Newton who are likely barely making 6 figures, if at all, it would mean you’d have several guys making over a million. I call hogwash.

I’d guess Ballo is pushing 7 figures with guys like Reneau and Mgbako making mid to high 6 figures. I could see Tucker, Rice and Carlyle all making $500-600k a piece. IU has a huge NIL war chest, more than maybe all but a handful of teams. But they aren’t spending anywhere close to $10mil this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Courtsensetwo
It’s nowhere close to $10mil if you actually break it down. We currently have 11 scholarship players. $10 million for 11 scholarship players is $900k+ a player. Factor in guys like Cupps and Newton who are likely barely making 6 figures, if at all, it would mean you’d have several guys making over a million. I call hogwash.

I’d guess Ballo is pushing 7 figures with guys like Reneau and Mgbako making mid to high 6 figures. I could see Tucker, Rice and Carlyle all making $500-600k a piece. IU has a huge NIL war chest, more than maybe a handful of teams. But they aren’t spending anywhere close to $10mil this year.
I have no idea, but I thought the # Ballo was said to get was $1.2-1.4 million and assumed both Rice and Carlyle would command nearly a million as would retaining Mbako and Reanu. Adding all that up, I would guess 7-8million if we spent around 5 last year.

I have no idea, but I thought the # Ballo was said to get was $1.2-1.4 million and assumed both Rice and Carlyle would command nearly a million as would retaining Mbako and Reanu. Adding all that up, I would guess 7-8million if we spent around 5 last year.
Kansas reportedly spent the most last year at $4 million.

This is and always has been, completely wrong. Coaches can easily see the opposite, that we didn't run coaches out of town.
No coach in 25 years as done anything that would scare any other coaches. They all will feel they can do better.

Last edited:

A reasonable guess, but a guess nonetheless.

One of the cool things with our NIL is when UK (and some other schools) brag about their big donor numbers and fan donations, it's actually not that impressive vs. what I hear about IU.

We've never been near level terms with UK in terms of spending -- pre-NIL they paid players under the table much more than we did for decades. Now, we are probably level or a bit ahead of them in terms of spending on players. It's just once piece of the puzzle but it's nice.

Hopefully Cook and Simon are comfortable continuing their contributions at this level -- it starts to add up to a lot of money. The rev share will take some pressure off of them, but NIL will still probably be the differentiator after the rev share starts.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT