ADVERTISEMENT

Should we even recruit high school players?

MMcCormick

Sophomore
Dec 7, 2004
I can see the day that some teams decide to only recruit high school players who can contribute as freshman. When you recruit high school players half of them never make your two deep and now half of them transfer. Huge risk, and you have all of these young players that you have to spend time developing with no gaurantee that you'll get a return. Most will transfer. Some team is going to figure out that it's just safer to bring in a small number of high school recruits who you feel can contribute early, and then stack your roster with upperclassmen who are older, stronger and game ready. Ole Miss kind of went to this model and is having success. I think a lot of schools that can't compete for high school players well will go down this round and focus on late stage development athletes that can make them more competitive. You are going to see the model change. If baseball had unlimited free agency, teams would get rid of farm programs as they are too costly. From a dollar standpoint, it would actually make more sense to go down to 40 scholarships, take the money saved from those scholarships and to pay only upperclassmen to play for you. You'd have to play some NIL games by moving money around with a wink wink, but something along these lines is going to happen. It does not make sense to spend two or three years developing a football player anymore.

I can see the day that some teams decide to only recruit high school players who can contribute as freshman. When you recruit high school players half of them never make your two deep and now half of them transfer. Huge risk, and you have all of these young players that you have to spend time developing with no gaurantee that you'll get a return. Most will transfer. Some team is going to figure out that it's just safer to bring in a small number of high school recruits who you feel can contribute early, and then stack your roster with upperclassmen who are older, stronger and game ready. Ole Miss kind of went to this model and is having success. I think a lot of schools that can't compete for high school players well will go down this round and focus on late stage development athletes that can make them more competitive. You are going to see the model change. If baseball had unlimited free agency, teams would get rid of farm programs as they are too costly. From a dollar standpoint, it would actually make more sense to go down to 40 scholarships, take the money saved from those scholarships and to pay only upperclassmen to play for you. You'd have to play some NIL games by moving money around with a wink wink, but something along these lines is going to happen. It does not make sense to spend two or three years developing a football player anymore.
Who develops them then?

IU has too much restriction on JR college so IU is limited on who they can get as JR college players. They have to qualify for college first. IU is so in bred and limits players for IU. You are some other poster said to follow KSU plan and IU can't.

Reactions: 76-1
One of the problems I see with the portal is that unlike recruiting High school Players where You have perhaps built a relationship with a recruit over a couple of years, in the portal, You don't have the time to really know the Player or really get a feel for his character. sometimes You are getting the guy Who will never be satisfied no matter where He is. Sometimes you get someone else's problem. And when You bring in twenty five players from 25 different programs and backgrounds, not everyone will fit in, and You will have some malcontents.

Recruit exclusively through the portal. Don’t want to see any high school kids come in and not get developed by this clown show. At least portal kids might have some good habits picked up by previous good coaching. Limit Allen’s involvement in the development piece as much as possible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT