ADVERTISEMENT

Should We Build a Bigger Stadium

Exactly. Which is why fan comfort at the stadium is getting more important every year.
But when it comes FB venues I have to float my boat the same as 23. MS is not as uncomfortable as some of the higher profile programs. Aluminum bench seats are something to consider replacing with an upgrade. Particularly on the west side. NEZ should have been done with more amenities to please a wider scope of Saturday fans.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I’m all for upgrades, but some of you realize that most college football stadiums have mostly plain bleachers, right? It’s hardly unusual.
Most Power 5 have been replacing them with bleachers with backs. The newer stadiums have chair-backs. IU cant because of leg room - a mistake made in the plans from the 1950’s.

If you aren't improving, you are falling behind. IU went cheap in the 50s and the prevailing mood remains “do the minimum - never lead - when is Midnight Madness?”

Sigh.

I've said before they should turn the Marching 100 over to some new up and comer from an HBCU where marching band is badass and give him/her the resources to attract the kind of talent they need to bring that kind of entertainment to the B1G. No one else is doing that (that I know of) at the P5 level, and we'd get all kinds of diversity points to boot.
That is what I hoped would happen when they hired a new director but of course IU music department was too high brow for that to happen.

I’m all for upgrades, but some of you realize that most college football stadiums have mostly plain bleachers, right? It’s hardly unusual.
The easy fix..., with a low financial outlay (when compared to installing fixed padded backed seats) is to do what I mentioned somewhere on here recently (perhaps in this thread) and simply roll out some doubled camping pad type of foam padding [of the type that doesn't absorb water] and then cover it with some lace on, water proof tarp type material (easy to pull off and store after football season)...

A simple upgrade such as that might go at least a little way towards retaining some of the "bail at halftime" crowd...

Those bleachers get pretty hard after a couple of hours and those mediocre rental seat backs have become thin in the padding department...

The other option is to simply contract with a outfit that can fabricate a far better version of the aforementioned rental seat backs and install them on every seat number...

Either solution is both doable and with the new income headed our way relatively affordable...

Another, perhaps better, approach might be to provide a mix of the above and adjust seat pricing accordingly... Say a half or a third of the best seats (think lower and centered) having the seat back version and the rest padded as I mentioned above... Install them in the shape of Crimson Block I and call it the Block I Club seating, or the Crimson Club seating (to at least make you feel like you're getting something special and upgraded) and you've covered several customer complaints...

If you wanted to go cheap and just a little a bit spiteful towards visitors (except toward the students, they stand up most of the time anyway) you could leave the outer edges/corners bare metal, thus mitigating some of the installation costs and giving the consumer a tiered pricing choice...

-Free advice that's expected to go unheeded per usual ...-

That is what I hoped would happen when they hired a new director but of course IU music department was too high brow for that to happen.
The Department of Bands, long a part of the Jacobs School of Music, has had responsibility for the basketball pep band and Marching Hundred for decades. But the SOM has primarily been known for their output of internationally renowned vocalists, rather than instrumentalists. Assuming a highly rated music school would naturally produce a high level marching band has always been a misplaced expectation, based on the recognized strengths of the SOM.

Reactions: MIS01
The Department of Bands, long a part of the Jacobs School of Music, has had responsibility for the basketball pep band and Marching Hundred for decades. But the SOM has primarily been known for their output of internationally renowned vocalists, rather than instrumentalists. Assuming a highly rated music school would naturally produce a high level marching band has always been a misplaced expectation, based on the recognized strengths of the SOM.
Philharmonics absolutely everywhere...disagree.

(you can look that word up as well)

As badly as our PU troll friend butchered his googled response...there are some limitations with IU's student musicians. Many play string instruments which don't translate well. That saidm plenty of brass, percussion and woodwind masters to create a magnificent marching band.

If it were a priority as it is at Ahia.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
As badly as our PU troll friend butchered his googled response...there are some limitations with IU's student musicians. Many play string instruments which don't translate well. That saidm plenty of brass, percussion and woodwind masters to create a magnificent marching band.

If it were a priority as it is at Ahia.
Speakers work as well as a band

When the little man in the little red Big Ten hat walks out on the field, instead of playing a commercial or a dumb pizza man game, play THIS:

Or if we're behind, maybe THIS:

Or if they are taking 15 minutes to review a plain IU TD, play THIS:

Something people will sing and smile to - with cowbell:

When the little man in the little red Big Ten hat walks out on the field, instead of playing a commercial or a dumb pizza man game, play THIS:

Met the O’Jays when they played at the Auditorium as the featured act at the long since defunct Homecoming Variety Show.

Yeah, I know exactly what I’m talking about here, as any IU grad like me would. You sure like to follow me around, don’t you? I’ll take it as the compliment that it is. Thanks!
You promised to put me on ignore. You also swore you would never respond to one of my posts ever ever ever again

keep your promises Ordy.

You promised to put me on ignore. You also swore you would never respond to one of my posts ever ever ever again

keep your promises Ordy.
No, I didn’t promise any such thing. I do appreciate your continued responses to each of my posts, however. It’s gratifying to know that you consider me to be so relevant here. I take it as a great compliment.

No, I didn’t promise any such thing. I do appreciate your continued responses to each of my posts, however. It’s gratifying to know that you consider me to be so relevant here. I take it as a great compliment.
Ding

Keep your promises Birnk403

Keep your promises Birnk403
Have never promised you anything like that. Please go back through each and every post of mine, most of which you’ve responded to. I’m sure you’ll post it if it’s there.

Thanks again for the compliment of your automatic responses to all of my thoughts. It’s a great compliment that you’ve become so enamored with everything I have to say here.

Correct on both points although the retrofit of mellencamp is IMO best done as a state of the art football practice facility.
I have a suspicion that Mellencamp may be similar to SSAH in that extensively renovating it would cost as much as simply building a new facility. And building a new one would at least theoretically give Dolson et al the opportunity to solve the "football only weight room" problem.

Personally I don't really care which other schools share their weight rooms or don't--I just think IU shouldn't have to do so, especially if an already existing facility like Mellencamp can be converted into a 2nd weight room for everyone but the football team, and there's enough $$ coming down the TV pipeline in future years to bankroll it.

Have never promised you anything like that. Please go back through each and every post of mine, most of which you’ve responded to. I’m sure you’ll post it if it’s there.

Thanks again for the compliment of your automatic responses to all of my thoughts. It’s a great compliment that you’ve become so enamored with everything I have to say here.
Keep your promises Kern County

Reactions: 76-1
I have a suspicion that Mellencamp may be similar to SSAH in that extensively renovating it would cost as much as simply building a new facility. And building a new one would at least theoretically give Dolson et al the opportunity to solve the "football only weight room" problem.

Personally I don't really care which other schools share their weight rooms or don't--I just think IU shouldn't have to do so, especially if an already existing facility like Mellencamp can be converted into a 2nd weight room for everyone but the football team, and there's enough $$ coming down the TV pipeline in future years to bankroll it.
You may be spot on with the cost of a retrofit vs starting over. The footprint becomes a bit awkward without tearing MP down. Running out of real estate. I suppose a SOTA facility could be built in what is now the orange lot and make the MP real estate a nice tailgate park.

The shared weight room thing is not a thing for me. Purdue fans cling to it out of desperation, but It is a fantastic facility and with the many football-only amenities we now have, tough to believe it is a show stopper for a sport-specific athlete.

What I do not understand about the “turn Mellencamp into the weight room” argument is the difference in size. Right now IU has one of the largest weight rooms in the country. You could probably put 12 of those into Mellencamp. Obviously you are not going to do that for the other programs currently using the FB weight room so you would only be taking a fraction of that building. What do you do with the rest of it?

What I do not understand about the “turn Mellencamp into the weight room” argument is the difference in size. Right now IU has one of the largest weight rooms in the country. You could probably put 12 of those into Mellencamp. Obviously you are not going to do that for the other programs currently using the FB weight room so you would only be taking a fraction of that building. What do you do with the rest of it?
So true.

The shared weight room thing is not a thing for me. Purdue fans cling to it out of desperation, but It is a fantastic facility and with the many football-only amenities we now have, tough to believe it is a show stopper for a sport-specific athlete.

It's just stupid. Are football players having to wait on equipment? Are other sports getting reserved time? Are football players afraid they'll catch volleyball cooties?

There isn’t one student, player or recruit who wants any of this awful boomer music!! I respect John Mellencamp’s contributions to IU but his music is dog shit. No one under the age of 30 wants to hear any of this stuff. Nobody is going to come or not come to a game because of the music that’s played. Win and consistently win… That will fill the stadium. Upgrade the practice facility first. Take care of the student athletes, not some old people who want to hear the freakin O’Jays instead of J Cole.

Right, which means you use the rest for other tools. But as stated above it may be cheaper to raze the building and start from scratch.

There isn’t one student, player or recruit who wants any of this awful boomer music!! I respect John Mellencamp’s contributions to IU but his music is dog shit. No one under the age of 30 wants to hear any of this stuff. Nobody is going to come or not come to a game because of the music that’s played. Win and consistently win… That will fill the stadium. Upgrade the practice facility first. Take care of the student athletes, not some old people who want to hear the freakin O’Jays instead of J Cole.
Students want to hear their own "dog shit music".

I get that.

I have no problem with the stadium playing a little music for everyone across age groups, but primarily playing music from 50-60 years ago is definitely not the answer to the MS attendance or atmosphere problems. Generally, primarily playing music that is *currently* popular helps, regardless of what you personally think about it. We can't keep doing the hokey pokey and "hoosier wipeout" while the world moves on. It's embarrassing and sucks the energy out of the place. There is a need to cater to the students, players, and people under 40 as well.

My 20-something waitress walked by signing The Beatles "I Saw Her Standing There" a few minutes ago

They still SING 'Hang On Snoopy" at OSU

They sing Sweet Caroline everywhere

I think some 60's and 70's pop will still sell.

My 20-something waitress walked by signing The Beatles "I Saw Her Standing There" a few minutes ago

They still SING 'Hang On Snoopy" at OSU

They sing Sweet Caroline everywhere

I think some 60's and 70's pop will still sell.
They play Phantom of the Opera over at Ped State and have no trouble selling it out regularly...

Haven't heard much rap up at Wisconsin either...

You obviously do not attend games.

Why is it uncomfortable? Let me count the ways:

No backs to the seats.

Leg room sux everywhere.
And if the person in front of you has a really spiffy rental chair, its worse.

And if you have - or sit beside a person with - a butt wider than 12 inches, it sux.

There is nowhere to put a drink, except on the foot-ground, where it spills.

The east and west stands bathrooms are still 1960 urine-stained urine smelling embarrassments.

When it rains, water pours down onto the walkways from 50-100 feet above your head as you wait in line for a church lady to serve you a cold hot dog, and runs down the stairs, turning them into ankle-breakers.

If you have tickets above row 30 and have to walk the ramps up, and then walk up stairs to your row, don't take the grandparents - they won't make it.

Ever tailgate? You like crapping in 120 degree port-a-potties? IU can't afford campground-level brick and mortal, well-plumbed toilets? South Carolina can. Why can't IU? We're at a game - not a military drill.

In a small dome, nobody passes out from heat and lack of water in the concession stands. Nobody has to run for it if a thunderstorm arrives at 60 MPH. Or worse, Nobody slips on unanticipated (!) ice that isn't removed from the SEZ.

At Memorial Stadium The Rock (a God-awful name bestowed by Fish that rolls off the tongue like rock - pick one, but not both) nobody pays for naming rights either.

And just because baseball has more dates doesn't mean college football venues should ignore declining attendance at places like ... everywhere. 2021 attendance averaged a 6% decline - NOT USING THE 2020 COVID YEAR!

"Just win and they will come" is a fools errand everywhere but Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan, and even Nebraska is struggling to keep their attendance records up. If you are not a historical winner, you are losing attendance. So you can keep doing what got you there, or fantasize that you will suddenly be the next Wisconsin, or you can try and do something that takes advantage of the few advantages you have.

Right now - and maybe never again - IU has access because of I-69 and money. People who really want to (a smaller group every year) can get there. And we have TV money that we have never had. At a time when IU has already used that money to upgrade all other sports. Now's the time for football to take the next step, but not the same steps of the last 20 years - the steps of the next 20. The time to add suites for a couple of thousand folks at Memorial Stadium passed decades ago. That's putting lipstick on a pig.

Put up a facility that says "IU is serious" or die.

Assembly Hall is unique in college basketball.
Memorial Stadium is not. Dump it before the money is turned off.

it doesn't seem to bother you as much when you're at Lambeau.

00275db2467573dc51db9ec88c1f772d.jpg

Lamest tradition in FB
He did get me though... I've gotten so used to that I never considered it real hard core rap... Don't care for the guy but have to say he won that one... 😖 Let's just say I'm not exactly a connoisseur of the genre and leave it at that...🙈😞

When the Big Ten expands to whatever number it ends up being, IU will have the second smallest stadium in the conference. Only Northwestern will be smaller. We already have way too many recruiting challenges that make our situation close to hopeless if we want to compete with the big boys. Yes, our training facilities are top notch so would it now be the time to add twenty or thirty thousand seats to our stadium to give prospects something more to consider when IU recruits them?
No...we're good on the size of the stadium. Most recruits care more about more personal facilities...locker room, weight room, dorms, student centers, nutrition centers, etc...

As per the stadium...I think they just need to keep looking for ways to modernize, and improve the game day experience.

I think they hit a homerun with the design, functionality, and overall effect with the North End zone. I think the South End Zone was largely a strikeout. Whereas the NEZ looks like it was always apart of the stadium, it looks well planned and thought out...the SEZ looks like an afterthought. I think they should have either mirrored the NEZ, and used the south largely for the purposes they are. Or they should have Built a big building that looks like the outside of the NEZ. And built in some seating, luxury boxes, etc... on the back side of it. What they did looks like they ran out of money and just finished it however they could.

Anything they do going forward, should tie in the VERY COOL look and architecture of the North End Zone.

Maybe turrets on the Northeast and South East Corners, that have luxury boxes in-between them. Same for the Northwest and Southwest corners, with a huge press box/entertainment center in between them.

It'd change the overall exterior shape of the stadium to more of a rectangle. But all the architecture would tie together. It'd look like we purposefully built a brand new stadium this way. You make it seat 53-55K people. It'd make it a lot louder enclosing it more like this.

And I think the architecture on the NEZ is so cool, you could use it as a template for a bunch of other buildings on the sports complex.

it would have to become some kind of "multi-use" facility, possibly including therapy, study halls etc.

I'm not gung-ho one way or the other about which approach re: Mellencamp is taken as long as IU ends up with a new, state-of-the-art indoor facility, either somewhere else nearby or on Mellencamp's current site.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
You may be spot on with the cost of a retrofit vs starting over. The footprint becomes a bit awkward without tearing MP down. Running out of real estate. I suppose a SOTA facility could be built in what is now the orange lot and make the MP real estate a nice tailgate park.

About the only new places I could imagine as possible sites would be either 1) north of the Tennis Center or else 2) north of the outdoor FB practice fields in the grassy area in the middle of those parking lots (west of Kaufman)

Either way (a new build on one of those sites, or overhaul Mellencamp on its current site), I think a new indoor practice facility is crucial in the short term. And some minimal # of MS suites would IMO be "semi-crucial" in the medium term, with possible addition of more MS general seating in the hypothetical long-term.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT