ADVERTISEMENT

Shitty coaching

Heck, I feel like there's a chance he never was the player many on here seem to think he was to begin with! He was a non-five star recruit. He'd likely be struggling to adjust as a freshman like most of them do, and not have been a huge impact except to add some depth.
Young man has never put on a uniform and u r already talking negative.

I agree on Woody — as I’ve posted his results are awful for all advantages IU provides (big time NIL/budget). I’m not advocating for keeping him, I’m only saying our fans are reasonable.
some are most are negative

I'd warn you to prepare for the imminent anal rape from the sunshine crowd, but they are mysteriously absent today.

As I said, I absolutely dread another coaching change. We have a horrible track record. And even the threat of a hot-seat coach, even the rumors...it kills recruiting...which may have started already after last night. Can't imagine Queen and crew watching last night and thinking "hell yeah, I want to be part of that".

Always hope for a big bounce-back game after a shitfest like last night. But when the next chance is playing in Kohl Center against Bucky.....history is not on our side. Best hope, IMHO is to at least show well in Madison, then come back and win at home vs UI. That will at least right the ship a little. Lose the next two, I think season is officially shot in the head and things start getting ugly.

We put a lot of hopes on X's shoulders for this season. That's looking like a big swing and miss. I was really pulling for him this season. Just can't seem to get his head right. The X of late 2021-2022 was what we needed and that's starting to look like a fluke period in his career. Or maybe, TJD's presence really did make everyone else look a little better than they were. Including CMW.

That math you offered- the shots just inside the 3 pt line....amazing all the data that is tracked. But yeah, that one is incriminating. Certain recipe for struggle vs average teams and doom vs good teams. Which is exactly what we've got this year.
The two sunshine pumpers are much older than average on this board and neither shows any knowledge of IU hoops. They only get upset that we don’t see Woody as being anything other than a far less than average college coach.

• Angry
Reactions: Willdog7
The two sunshine pumpers are much older than average on this board and neither shows any knowledge of IU hoops. They only get upset that we don’t see Woody as being anything other than a far less than average college coach.
You can call me sunshine pumper but i speak the truth ,it will take a while for the team to gel especialyl with x on the bench.

That and he thought it would be fun to hang out with his old buddies imo I think he thought everyone loved him and it would just be a grand old time with minimum effort. I have a hard time believing he is busting his hump24/7 for this job. Up til 3am watching film. I doubt he is. Three fall recruits in two years is all he got. It's nothing but a spring scramble to throw a roster together.
You Sir are a hater

Yep. But I can safely say after 2.5 years Woodson doesn't have it.. I said the same about archie after season 2. The only way Woodson can even reach the round of 32 is with massive talent or an all American. He simply isn't a good coach. Did quinn honestly think we could make final fours with him? If so quinn doesn't know dork about coaching.
You serve are very passionate,I can disagree you but your opinion doesnot help.

I knew were were in trouble when Woodson starting scheduling all these preseason games vs top 10 teams. His ego blinded him to the fact we would likely get killed. He thinks we aree 1981 I IU i guess with Isiah running the point
Its not about ego. Its about building a program. I like the idea of playing tough teams but you guys were crying when he played lesser teams.

Woodson will get this year and next. If he gets canned I'm certain we'll need to live with this at least that long.

I thought coming in at least Coach Woodson would be able to teach defense and rebounding at a high level. Doesn't seem to be happening.
They won't can one of their own. He will have to be talked into leaving

They won't can one of their own. He will have to be talked into leaving
I don't think he's leaving while earning 4 million dollars a year. I think he's living his retirement and getting paid well to do it. But, I do think that's the best path to moving forward. If Dolson can find a donor(s), we'll have to pay him out and then bring in the guy you want. If they could position it him retiring for his health/happiness that would save face and not divide the fanbase or embarass a former player.

Reactions: DANC and Al Bino
Several articles at the time included this statement (this from SI)

“A person familiar with the inner workings at Indiana, who predicted several hours before the news broke that Woodson would get the job, described Buckner as “a bulldozer” in the process.”

QB made it very clear publicly that he supported the hire and told a golfing story that included both of them along with Scott May.

Last edited:
Golfing buddies can create a ton of heartache for others and not a comforting backstory for the IU head coaching decision.

Several articles at the time included this statement (this from SI)

“A person familiar with the inner workings at Indiana, who predicted several hours before the news broke that Woodson would get the job, described Buckner as “a bulldozer” in the process.”

QB made it very clear publicly that he supported the hire and told a golfing story that included both of them along with Sean May.
Sean May who spurned us for UNC?

Reactions: WhyisIUBBcursed
One thing I approve of is Woody’s scheduling. We had way too many cupcakes, and if you have a bball program you may as well play the best or what’s the point. It should also help us improve.

Now, we have been getting killed vs the good teams, which his bad, but at least we know where we stand vs teams like KU and UConn, and if we ever get good it will be fun to play big games and we’ll be glad we scheduled them.

One thing I approve of is Woody’s scheduling. We had way too many cupcakes, and if you have a bball program you may as well play the best or what’s the point. It should also help us improve too.

Now, we have been getting killed vs the good teams, which his bad, but at least we know where we stand vs teams like KU and UConn, and if we ever get good it will be fun to play big games and we’ll be glad we scheduled them.
I’m guessing some of the schools we have played in these games are going to drop IU. Self already kind of alluded to that.

While I appreciate the effort and tough talk, all these games have really served to accomplish is embarrassment on the national stage. They’ve contributed to Woody setting a record for getting run off the floor and having a greater number of large margin defeats than even Crean or Archie had. Our style of play doesn’t give us a chance against these schools.

Reactions: DANC and dbmhoosier
If we are getting killed in these games, and we have top-10 NIL and athletic department budget in the country, I guess we need a change.

We can’t hide. I guess we could play terrible teams pre-conf and then we get to the B1G and struggle. We are who we are, may as well try and beat the best.

KU may go away but we pick up UK again, which is good.

If we are getting killed in these games, and we have top-10 NIL and athletic department budget in the country, I guess we need a change.

We can’t hide. I guess we could play terrible teams pre-conf and then we get to the B1G and struggle. We are who we are, may as well try and beat the best.

IU KU is a good national draw game but IU KY will be better.

Reactions: Tammany Hall

If nothing changes, we will just get the sh!t kicked out of us against them too.

Young man has never put on a uniform and u r already talking negative.
I'm not saying anything negative about JN, more about our expectations as fans. I don't know what he'd be like, just like you don't. I see a lot of folks on here talking like his not being able to play is a huge loss for this team, and I think history has shown most freshmen don't make much of an impact.

Reactions: DANC
We are just waiting for Quinn, Dolson, Aloha, and Willdog to decide the same thing as every thinking Hoosier now knows- Woody top 32 is his top achievement in his tenure at IU- so marginally better than Archie and worse than all other coaches since Knight- well technically he tied Sampson who won a first round game in his lone full season at IU as a 7-seed. Just wish Aloha and Willdog actually knew the college game as fan base needs to be aligned.
So dumb. None of us have any say in what they do with Woodson. You must have a highly inflated opinion about your influence. Bottom line is we see the same issues such as poor shooting, insufficient guard play, substandard defense too often, etc., etc., but I don't share your opinion that it's impossible to turn this around. Woodson had the team playing well in the Big Ten last year and it could happen this year. You have no need to attack those of us that have opinions that aren't as dire as yours. I only pushed back on the Negative Nancies and started making fun of the more hysterical of you after I tired of you attacking other posters for not agreeing with your perpetually pessimistic opinions and treating your opinions as if they're facts. I'm good with facts, I'm not good with you guys attacking others for not agreeing with your opinions. Stop that and you can convene as many meetings of the NNW&CC as you'd like - and enjoy them. I won't attend and ruin your whine party.

I do not whine, and I don't stay perpetually pessimistic. I enjoy when the team is playing well and don't dwell on a particular weakness during those games - note those as things they will work on going forward. Unless IU loses out or have some sort of major internal personnel issues (lots of drugs, crime, etc.), Woodson is a near 100 percent lock to be our coach next year. That will be the year that determines if he gets another year. All your whining and misery this year is doing nothing at all for anyone. I suppose it could be good for you if whining, perpetual pessimism and being miserable somehow makes you happy. I don't get it, but maybe that's the case for you.

I became all for replacing Miller during his fourth year when it was clear to me, in my opinion, that he just wasn't going to get it done here. I honestly didn't think it would happen. Without whining about it I expressed my opinion that he was probably not going to work out and also that he'd probably not be fired due to his buy out. I was surprised and pleased that it happened.

I thought Crean underachieved all but one year, two if I'm generous, but the good year(s) gave me a little hope. It was clear to me, in my opinion, that he was done the last couple years, and I expressed that opinion without whining and hysterics.

Sampson should never have been hired and I said that at the time and during his tenure I watched the games without much enthusiasm. It's the only time in my life I was totally apathetic about IU basketball.

Davis shouldn't have been made permanent coach after his first year.

I wouldn't have fired Knight. His last three or four years were the genesis of the NNW&CC, but no one called them that. Knight had finally gotten the sorts of players on the team and coming in (like JJ) that would work for him and his system - the same team that went to the championship under the truly poor coaching of Mike Davis. It was opinion at the time that Knight was on the verge of Final Four and possible championship. I was attacked for that opinion, by the way, by those with negative opinions that believed their opinions were facts. FACT is we did NOT know - we had and have opinions.

Bottom line: Stop attacking those with less dire opinions, and I'll leave you and your club alone. We can have a truce. And calling me out in a post for not sharing your opinion is an attack. Saying those of us that don't share your dire opinions or whine when we do (actually I agree with much of the factual criticism) don't know basketball is also an attack, and childishly stupid. I'll let it slide this time, but I will push back anytime it happens (if I see it) going forward.

Last edited:
Most IU fans would be content with a coach who makes the tourney almost every year (should be easy at IU) and makes a deep run once in a while. Very realistic expectations. Sampson would still be here if he hadn't been fired. Crean's issue is that he was weird as all hell and kept having all those fall of the cliff years where the NIT was almost a pipe dream.

Every single hire IU has made post-Knight has been completely mind blowing. Sampson is a fantastic coach but John Beilein was available.
Some myths that need to be addressed.

1) IU didn't turn in Sampson for the violations, the NCAA informed IU of the violations. IU's internal investigation confirmed the NCAA's allegations. Sampson subsequently resigned.
2) IU could NOT have kept Sampson even if it wanted to. The NCAA gave Sampson a five year "show cause" penalty and no university could hire him (or keep him in IU's case). Sampson could only coach in the NBA during those five years and he did.

Those that periodically claim IU should have kept Sampson need to know it wasn't possible. That's before taking into account that the crap was about to hit the fan for team drug use by some key players on the team.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT