ADVERTISEMENT

Shitty coaching

Woodson will get this year and next. If he gets canned I'm certain we'll need to live with this at least that long.

I thought coming in at least Coach Woodson would be able to teach defense and rebounding at a high level. Doesn't seem to be happening.
It's maddening. Especially rebounding. It's embarrassing how we're abused on the boards.

So dumb. None of us have any say in what they do with Woodson. You must have a highly inflated opinion about your influence. Bottom line is we see the same issues such as poor shooting, insufficient guard play, substandard defense too often, etc., etc., but I don't share your opinion that it's impossible to turn this around. Woodson had the team playing well in the Big Ten last year and it could happen this year. You have no need to attack those of us that have opinions that aren't as dire as yours. I only pushed back on the Negative Nancies and started making fun of the more hysterical of you after I tired of you attacking other posters for not agreeing with your perpetually pessimistic opinions and treating your opinions as if they're facts. I'm good with facts, I'm not good with you guys attacking others for not agreeing with your opinions. Stop that and you can convene as many meetings of the NNW&CC as you'd like - and enjoy them. I won't attend and ruin your whine party.

I do not whine, and I don't stay perpetually pessimistic. I enjoy when the team is playing well and don't dwell on a particular weakness during those games - note those as things they will work on going forward. Unless IU loses out or have some sort of major internal personnel issues (lots of drugs, crime, etc.), Woodson is a near 100 percent lock to be our coach next year. That will be the year that determines if he gets another year. All your whining and misery this year is doing nothing at all for anyone. I suppose it could be good for you if whining, perpetual pessimism and being miserable somehow makes you happy. I don't get it, but maybe that's the case for you.

I became all for replacing Miller during his fourth year when it was clear to me, in my opinion, that he just wasn't going to get it done here. I honestly didn't think it would happen. Without whining about it I expressed my opinion that he was probably not going to work out and also that he'd probably not be fired due to his buy out. I was surprised and pleased that it happened.

I thought Crean underachieved all but one year, two if I'm generous, but the good year(s) gave me a little hope. It was clear to me, in my opinion, that he was done the last couple years, and I expressed that opinion without whining and hysterics.

Sampson should never have been hired and I said that at the time and during his tenure I watched the games without much enthusiasm. It's the only time in my life I was totally apathetic about IU basketball.

Davis shouldn't have been made permanent coach after his first year.

I wouldn't have fired Knight. His last three or four years were the genesis of the NNW&CC, but no one called them that. Knight had finally gotten the sorts of players on the team and coming in (like JJ) that would work for him and his system - the same team that went to the championship under the truly poor coaching of Mike Davis. It was opinion at the time that Knight was on the verge of Final Four and possible championship. I was attacked for that opinion, by the way, by those with negative opinions that believed their opinions were facts. FACT is we did NOT know - we had and have opinions.

Bottom line: Stop attacking those with less dire opinions, and I'll leave you and your club alone. We can have a truce. And calling me out in a post for not sharing your opinion is an attack. I'll let it slide this time, but I will push back anytime it happens (if I see it) going forward.
Thank you

It's just common sense we hired a guy with zero college experience no other colleges ever wanted. And older iu players had screamed for years about hiring an iu guy
You say this a lot, but there is no evidence Woodson wanted to coach in college anywhere other than at IU. NBA coaches that reach out to NCAA programs to express interest in coaching at that level are hired to coach college programs. Most aren't interested. Woodson never expressed any interest in coaching in college so it's only your opinion that no one would have wanted him. It's a better opinion that he probably could have coached in college if he wanted to after greatly improving the Hawks (losers to winners - more wins each season) and having a .680 winning percentage with the Knicks. There is no evidence Woodson had any desire to coach at the college level. I'll take him at his word that IU was the only college "club" he was interested in coaching.

Last edited:
It's maddening. Especially rebounding. It's embarrassing how we're abused on the boards.
Malik has tiny hands for a big guy. Tamars dad would always tell me he can’t rebound cuz his hands are too small. Might be something to that.

Reactions: DANC
Malik has tiny hands for a big guy. Tamars dad would always tell me he can’t rebound cuz his hands are too small. Might be something to that.
and he's got about one tenth the vertical that TJD had. And TJD could go vertical in a hurry. Spring loaded feet. Sure that doesn't help MR either. Still....never hurts to block out. They should give it a try.

Have you ever shaken hands with Steve Downing? I did one time and his hands are HUGE. Like pillows when I shook his hand.

I do believe there's something to that, but I think aggressiveness and anticipation play more of a part. We are just out of position so often. If there's one thing Knight coached, it was rebounding. I'm surprised Woody's teams are so bad at it.

If we are getting killed in these games, and we have top-10 NIL and athletic department budget in the country, I guess we need a change.

We can’t hide. I guess we could play terrible teams pre-conf and then we get to the B1G and struggle. We are who we are, may as well try and beat the best.

KU may go away but we pick up UK again, which is good.
I guess but kentucky will most likely kill us.

Several articles at the time included this statement (this from SI)

“A person familiar with the inner workings at Indiana, who predicted several hours before the news broke that Woodson would get the job, described Buckner as “a bulldozer” in the process.”

QB made it very clear publicly that he supported the hire and told a golfing story that included both of them along with Scott May.
Yep this whole hire was orchestrated by quinn to get his golfing buddy back. What a joke

Reactions: GThomas
A five star pg he developed? Be a quick development if so. I would say he was well primed already for that. Also shined once X was out and he was in control of the ball all the time
He was a composite 4*(only rivals had him a 5*). Wasn’t projected as a one and done. Was projected as a mid 2nd round guy.(befor January)This wasn’t a John Calipary top 10 type recruit get him in the league situation. Don’t overhype.

He was a composite 4*(only rivals had him a 5*). Wasn’t projected as a one and done. Was projected as a mid 2nd round guy.(befor January)This wasn’t a John Calipary top 10 type recruit get him in the league situation. Don’t overhype.
Just saying, this wasn’t a true development of him.
Kid came in with an NBA body and game. X getting hurt is what got him drafted so high. He was able to be the prime ball handler and showcase his skills better

Reactions: Al Bino
🤦🏻 he wasn’t on draft boards in November . He became a high draft pick under Woodson like it or not.
So you are saying he developed him into an nba first rounder in 3 months? Ir was it he was able to take over and play the point when our problem man got hurt

Tony A. Was a guest on assembly call last night. He said a stat that made me puke. IU is in the 98th percentile for taking shots 3 feet inside of the three point line. That shot is the worst possible shot to take in college bball and we do it more than 98% of the teams. Now realize we are a horrid shooting team. Let that sink in.

We run actions for Gunn coming off screens to take that shot. I’ve seen it out of inbounds multiple times. So we game plan for a shitty shooter to take a difficult shot, that is the worst shot in the game analytics wise. Dumbasses.

Sitting dudes with 2 fouls for the half is essentially fouling them out in the 1st half. WTF good does it do to make sure they don’t get their third foul if the game is fuxking over when they go back in?? Oh and Mack finished with 2 fouls…. Dumbasses.

Too much talent for this shit showing. I place it squarely on Mikey W. If we miss the tournament I for sure will want him gone. This shit is pathetic.
Really?

My kids are 24 and 22 and they’ve never seen us win in Madison. YIKES!

and he's got about one tenth the vertical that TJD had. And TJD could go vertical in a hurry. Spring loaded feet. Sure that doesn't help MR either. Still....never hurts to block out. They should give it a try.
But Malik has great footwork. And if he does have smaller than avg hand size - he still has good hands. A guy with his size, strength, and footwork should be able to rebound. Coach needs to teach it and turn up his motor.

But Malik has great footwork. And if he does have smaller than avg hand size - he still has good hands. A guy with his size, strength, and footwork should be able to rebound. Coach needs to teach it and turn up his motor.
All things he can learn and keep working. Malik is not a finish product.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT