ADVERTISEMENT

See it on the field

daddyhoosier

Junior
Aug 31, 2019
iufb.net
This off-season I didn't invest a whole lot of time reading about incoming transfer portal players or potential position battles, including at QB. Idk maybe I'll do a last minute cramming session. I've spent a lot of time and energy supporting this program, giving the benefit of the doubt, and taking a wait and see approach. But at this point honestly it's put up or shut up time. This team needs to get back to a bowl this season. CTA has been given time to grow into his role. Obviously I'm aware of the contract situation but another 4-8 year and iufb heads into 2024 a lame duck.

CTA has done a good job recruiting. Happy about the Bostad hire. I think a lot will ride on how effective Walt Bell and the QB are. On defense the secondary has to tighten things up. Cautiously optimistic about the WRs, a group I've not been super high on in the past. I'm not making any predictions. I want to see it on the field. Go Hoosiers.

It is getting to be time to put up or shut up and IU faces a monster team according to prognosticators. It is up to IUFB players to step on the field and take it to OSU making them wonder about what they are facing. Offense needs to control the ball and run with authority opening things up for our receivers. The defense needs to attack OSU's offense in so many different ways they are wondering what is going on. STs need to be the difference in this game leading IU to a victory. If not, IU can walk off the field with their heads held high playing this way.

This off-season I didn't invest a whole lot of time reading about incoming transfer portal players or potential position battles, including at QB. Idk maybe I'll do a last minute cramming session. I've spent a lot of time and energy supporting this program, giving the benefit of the doubt, and taking a wait and see approach. But at this point honestly it's put up or shut up time. This team needs to get back to a bowl this season. CTA has been given time to grow into his role. Obviously I'm aware of the contract situation but another 4-8 year and iufb heads into 2024 a lame duck.

CTA has done a good job recruiting. Happy about the Bostad hire. I think a lot will ride on how effective Walt Bell and the QB are. On defense the secondary has to tighten things up. Cautiously optimistic about the WRs, a group I've not been super high on in the past. I'm not making any predictions. I want to see it on the field. Go Hoosiers.
I can't envision us not getting housed on Saturday. But if we are able to keep it close, it'll be because our OL and DL were able to force their skill position players to actually adjust and make plays.

If our DL can muddy up the pocket, get some pressures and/or sacks, and make the RB's have to change directions...its possible the inexperience they have at QB could lead to some mistakes.

If our OL can create some running lanes, and give our QB a little time to throw, we might be able to get enough first downs to keep the clock going and the game relatively competitive.

Tom Allen coached IU teams aren't often well oiled machines though, so I anticipate a lot of mistakes in our coverages, lots of penalties...and a pretty swift end to the competitiveness in this game.

I am a battered child when it comes to IUFB. I’m keeping my expectations low (still think we will regret not picking up a seasoned QB and also not finding 1-2 OL upgrades via the portal) but hope for the best.
Did Allen try to get a seasoned QB, or did he put all of his eggs in the Tayven Jackson basket?

Reactions: vesuvius13
I am a battered child when it comes to IUFB. I’m keeping my expectations low (still think we will regret not picking up a seasoned QB and also not finding 1-2 OL upgrades via the portal) but hope for the best.
We brought in some OL talent to push the OL starters: it’s hard to displace (grown men) SRs with 30+ starts. If someone gets injured they won’t play like matadors.

When you say a seasoned qb does that mean good or a cast-off? Didn't we have one of those last year?

Last edited:
There is support to go in a new direction sooner than most think. I learned this week that a former trustee and our tailgate neighbor didn't renew his usual spot in the lot and didn't buy season tickets in protest to the product on the field.

A longtime former trustee may not have much pull, but I would expect the current trustees will listen to him. I'll miss him this year and the terrific burgers his group would share with us.

I see this as a wasted year. Another year without the real investment the program needs. Players will come for a successful coach. It will be expensive but the payback will be worth it.

There is support to go in a new direction sooner than most think. I learned this week that a former trustee and our tailgate neighbor didn't renew his usual spot in the lot and didn't buy season tickets in protest to the product on the field.

A longtime former trustee may not have much pull, but I would expect the current trustees will listen to him. I'll miss him this year and the terrific burgers his group would share with us.

I see this as a wasted year. Another year without the real investment the program needs. Players will come for a successful coach. It will be expensive but the payback will be worth it.
I hope Indiana wins Saturday just so that MF misses it.

The OP captures my thoughts almost to a T. After all the time, energy and Money spent through the years, I have to see some tangible results/improvement, before I get sucked back in. Only planning on 2-3 games thus far. Hope the team shows some fight early to make me want to come to see more, home and road.

Reactions: vesuvius13

Which lot?

Former trustee from the southern part of the state?

I can't envision us not getting housed on Saturday. But if we are able to keep it close, it'll be because our OL and DL were able to force their skill position players to actually adjust and make plays.

If our DL can muddy up the pocket, get some pressures and/or sacks, and make the RB's have to change directions...its possible the inexperience they have at QB could lead to some mistakes.

If our OL can create some running lanes, and give our QB a little time to throw, we might be able to get enough first downs to keep the clock going and the game relatively competitive.

Tom Allen coached IU teams aren't often well oiled machines though, so I anticipate a lot of mistakes in our coverages, lots of penalties...and a pretty swift end to the competitiveness in this game.
To clarify my lack of prediction applies to the season as a whole, not just week one.
Maybe not three times in a row… but hard line charges to assigned gaps. Casey and Farrar have enough experience to know whether to scrape immediately to their gaps or flow to the ball.
Haha I didn't mean literally, just making the point to be aggressive and not just sit there responding to whatever OSU does.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT