ADVERTISEMENT

Sampson James to Purdue.

The field is still green in November. The Rye grass is built for that kind of weather. Doesn't completely cover the Bermuda, but that doesn't mean it's not green. Not sure how its any more safe or unsafe than turf grass present day.
If it's green it's because they dye it or paint it. By the end of November grass tends to be going dormant. At Soldier field in Chicago they have to resod almost every year. One bad weather game day and any grass field is essentially destroyed. RA's turf looks terrible by the bucket game and injuries or not isn't a fit surface to showcase players' skills. It is an embarrassment and if your Ag dept. can't do better then they must offer a terrible education. Green Bay has a better at least partial natural grass surface in mid January than RA in November.

If it's green it's because they dye it or paint it. By the end of November grass tends to be going dormant. At Soldier field in Chicago they have to resod almost every year. One bad weather game day and any grass field is essentially destroyed. RA's turf looks terrible by the bucket game and injuries or not isn't a fit surface to showcase players' skills. It is an embarrassment and if your Ag dept. can't do better then they must offer a terrible education. Green Bay has a better at least partial natural grass surface in mid January than RA in November.
Winter rye grass is the reason it's green.

Reactions: EarlTubbs
If it's green it's because they dye it or paint it.
Purdue doesn’t paint or dye the field. It’s a process called overseeding. The beautiful Bermuda grass goes dormant after the first frost. They overseed with rye to keep the field green. That’s why you’ll see some light golden brown glow-like look in the video I posted. It’s the dormant Bermuda in places where the rye is thin. It still looks and plays phenomenally well in late November.

Rohrman Field is the envy of the league most seasons. Of course, some years Mother Nature gets her revenge, but that’s the price you pay when the health of your student athletes is paramount.

• Haha
Reactions: 76-1
No. They want to close that in and then do that on the east and north. So close south endzone and then tear down to the concourse and rebuild second deck from where it would connect on the south endzone all the way around to the press box I think. They haven't released anything. They were only showing the plans to recruits and major donors before covid hit. Rohrmans kicked it off with like 15 mil.
So will it add seats then? I can't imagine PU would need to add seats any time soon. Not a slam, but just the reality of the situation.

So will it add seats then? I can't imagine PU would need to add seats any time soon. Not a slam, but just the reality of the situation.
I don’t think so. The vision I saw called for an open pavilion at the level of the vomitoriums with a deck above. This would require removal of the existing seats above the vomitoriums.

Reactions: DANC
Ya. I'd guess it will stay about the same. I think they were waiting to see what fan turnout was post pandemic before continuing on. I know they did a bunch of research on fan experience and MLS stadiums and what not.

Mind boggling how someone could keep a field in such pristine condition in late November. Man, that Bermuda field is sweet.

i-k9GJGgJ-L.jpg
I can tell you that Bermuda grass is dormant at that time with the temperature. That is rye and trust me just rewatched yhe 2019 game and the field is absolutely crap. You definitely see how spotty the rye is on the field.

Reactions: 76-1 and DANC
I can tell you that Bermuda grass is dormant at that time with the temperature. That is rye and trust me just rewatched yhe 2019 game and the field is absolutely crap. You definitely see how spotty the rye is on the field.
The problem isn't the grass, it's what's underneath. It's mostly sand. It's going to tear up in chunks because of the lack of a firm base. Sure, surface water goes away but it's still wet and loose.

When will we see an apology from IU for perpetuating the he-stole-our-playbook lie? SMDH
I would like to personally follow up on this. Please provide who at IU “Perpetuated the lie”. And how you know if it is a lie or not.
Once you provide these details which you have clearly implied to know, I will follow up directly.
Thank you for the heads up and inside information.

Reactions: vesuvius13
The problem isn't the grass, it's what's underneath. It's mostly sand. It's going to tear up in chunks because of the lack of a firm base. Sure, surface water goes away but it's still wet and loose.
It isn’t the fault of the grass. It is the fault of the administrators who’s pride has crippled their ability to make sound judgements. They don’t have the soil, drainage, fertilization or seed mix right which is amazing considering Pu is primarily an ag school.

many many Pu grads have been screaming to give up the failed dream and go to turf.

I posted several photos and a video in this thread that prove you wrong. As the OP wrote:
I watched the game and video does not lie. That field was crap. Rye looks good from field level but grows in patches. It was crap. Commentators also mentioned how bad it was. Also have attended a couple of turf management classes because I used to take care of our fields football baseball and softball. Also lot of people believe it bad to overseen the rye which has changed over recent years. Although Bermuda is a very hearty type of grass. It does go dormant and turn brown with cool weather. Even in South Florida it gets dormant in Mid November

Reactions: vesuvius13
Rohrman Field is widely considered the crown jewel of the BigTen. Plastic grass is a hazard to player health, an environmental nightmare, and stinks like burning rubber. None of this can be debated.

I bid you adieu.

Rohrman Field is widely considered the crown jewel of the BigTen. Plastic grass is a hazard to player health, an environmental nightmare, and stinks like burning rubber. None of this can be debated.

I bid you adieu.
Not before you back up your claims about IU administrators promoting the story about the playbook and Tom Allen needing to apologize for it.

Also Rohrman needs to up his donation to the field so they can afford to catch up with the other BIG facilities because right now you are far behind the pack.

Not before you back up your claims about IU administrators promoting the story about the playbook and Tom Allen needing to apologize for it.

Also Rohrman needs to up his donation to the field so they can afford to catch up with the other BIG facilities because right now you are far behind the pack.
No more donations from Ol' Bob Rohrman. He gone.

Indicative that artificial turf is not the only type of field where devastating injuries occur - all grass.
I just laugh about the denial related to the field being planted on sand. There are photos and purdue.edu articles explaining the installation of the PAT system and the sand base that it relies upon. A 90 second google search brings it all up.

Not hard to see that there have been issues in the past that have caused them to explore new solutions.
eEhhZHx.jpg

An early season night game (looks like ND) where you can already see the wear.
YJjvkar.jpg

Here's the sinkhole from 4-5 years ago where you see all the sand that is the turf's underpinning.
o04m086.jpg

• Love
Reactions: DANC and 76-1
Hell….if that’s how this is supposed to operate, I’m surprised Purdue hasn’t shut down GBI. Of course, this is the same school that endorses the “IU sucks” chant at every game. Now, that’s something a school can curtail. Right?
The school, nor do alumni endorse it. Idk why you'd say they do.

I just laugh about the denial related to the field being planted on sand. There are photos and purdue.edu articles explaining the installation of the PAT system and the sand base that it relies upon. A 90 second google search brings it all up.

Not hard to see that there have been issues in the past that have caused them to explore new solutions.
eEhhZHx.jpg

An early season night game (looks like ND) where you can already see the wear.
YJjvkar.jpg

Here's the sinkhole from 4-5 years ago where you see all the sand that is the turf's underpinning.
o04m086.jpg
Notre dame night game from 2012? I've mentioned they've come a long way since then. I think they even changed the type of grass entirely to a more cold resistant Bermuda. So thats really not a relevant post. Sinkholes can happen in dirt as well. The sand wasn't the issue.

• Haha
Reactions: 76-1
Another damn thread hijacked by IU immature delinquents that have to have the last word on PU trolls.

Notre dame night game from 2012? I've mentioned they've come a long way since then. I think they even changed the type of grass entirely to a more cold resistant Bermuda. So thats really not a relevant post. Sinkholes can happen in dirt as well. The sand wasn't the issue.
What part of "Not hard to see that there have been issues in the past that have caused them to explore new solutions." makes you think I'm talking about the current field?

I was speaking specifically about the sand that makes up the seedbed for the field and the idea that you guys are denying it. I said so in the first two sentences.

Do you not learn about context in regards to reading comprehension up there?

Also, do you not see all the sand in the sinkhole pics? It's all that white looking stuff on top of the grass in 3 of the 4 views.

It's very fitting Purdue's field is named after Bob Rohrman. He may have given Purdue a bunch of money, but anyone who really knew the guy understands he was a real p.o.s.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT