ADVERTISEMENT

Sad story from Indiana today

i wish you could’ve heard my lecture to my high school mock trial team about when they are the most important person in the courtroom. No collaboration. No groups. Giving or receiving empathy wasn’t necessary. Just them, one single kid being a lawyer— in a real courtroom with a real judge. I put the pressure on and they ate it up.
High school and elementary school are two very different animals.

Reactions: BradStevens
i wish you could’ve heard my lecture to my high school mock trial team about when they are the most important person in the courtroom. No collaboration. No groups. Giving or receiving empathy wasn’t necessary. Just them, one single kid being a lawyer— in a real courtroom with a real judge. I put the pressure on and they ate it up.

it think you are losing track of what empathy actually means. this is what you are fighting against?

the ability to understand and share the feelings of another

it think you are losing track of what empathy actually means. this is what you are fighting against?

Empathy is learned experientially. Through relationships with your peers. The idea that it can be instructed is bogus.

• Haha
Reactions: zeke4ahs

Empathy is the ability to place yourself in the shoes of another, presumably to fully understand the problems they face. Empathy has a place, but it isn’t always useful, especially when you have a duty to judge the behavior that could be part of the problem.

Reactions: jet812
Yeah you’re wrong on this one. For the most part all the kids that are shitheads at my kids’ school have shithead dads that think they have to prepare their kids for some imaginary tough school times. The dads are morons and are too present.

When I was a younger and less wise father I told another father at the playground whose kid was several years older than mine and was pushing my kid that the next thing his kid did to my son would be visited on him. He took his kid and left - I did soon thereafter because I was afraid he had called the cops!
I don’t think you posted anything inconsistent with what I said. Male and female behaviors are different because their minds work differently because there are biological difference in the brain. Education not only doesn’t recognize the differences, sometimes educrats deny the difference.

I don’t think you posted anything inconsistent with what I said. Male and female behaviors are different because their minds work differently because there are biological difference in the brain. Education not only doesn’t recognize the differences, sometimes educrats deny the difference.
No idea where you come up with your schtick. Educators learn in undergrad about the way kids’ minds and behaviors are different . You are indeed, an expert in your own mind, in every subject.

No idea where you come up with your schtick. Educators learn in undergrad about the way kids’ minds and behaviors are different . You are indeed, an expert in your own mind, in every subject.
Your #65 says otherwise. No mention of any boy things.

Male and females are different and the way they build character is different.

Quit acting as if your ‘life skills” of empathy, feelings, and working together work across the board. Some people, and most boys, learn important life skills through competition, solving problems, and meeting challenges as individuals.

And I don’t want anybody who has been bullied, or had kids bullied, to misunderstand this, but I think a strong self image builds an immunity to bullying. It’s this area where feminized education fails boys the most. In fact, I think in many ways, education diminishes a young man’s self image.
There's no getting around the fact that human beings derive a lot of their own self-image from the way people around them perceive and treat them, especially at a young age.

All human beings need to learn from competition, problem solving, and individual challenges and learning. All human beings also need to be able to self-regulate, have emotional awareness, and empathy. Having "feelings" isn't a life skill, it's a condition of being a non-psychotic human being.

But you might be right, that the way--and maybe the order--in which these skills are taught might differ between males and females, on average. Lots of individual variation in people.

Last edited:
There's no getting around the fact that human beings derive a lot of their own self-image from the way people around them perceived and treat them, especially at a young age.

All human beings need to learn from competition, problem solving, and individual challenges and learning. All human beings also need to be able to self-regulate, have emotional awareness, and empathy. Having "feelings" isn't a life skill, it's a condition of being a non-psychotic human being.

But you might be right, that the way--and maybe the order--in which these skills are taught might differ between males and females, on average. Lots of individual variation in people.
Agreed.

I guess the point is participation ribbons may not harm the character development of girls as much as boys.

We’ve got to be able to recognize the differences between boys and girls and stop with the denials. I don’t think k-12 education deals with the issue and it is getting worse. There is a plethora of literature about how boys get screwed by the system. This especially true for Black boys. The education system for black females is much better.

Reactions: DANC
That poor kid. Imagine how bad you must feel to take your own life.

I'm not blaming the parents in any way, but if they had gone to the school 20 times about bullying and nothing happened.. I would find another school for the kid.
I would like to wait and see what we find out. It seems like the kid was pretty well loved at home from photos, etc, but who knows.

I'm reminded of the school shootings in Clarkston Michigan where that kid killed several classmates. Come to find out his parents treated him like absolute dog crap, the kid begged for help from his parents and they ignored him. Dad was too busy getting hammered and mom was too busy at swingers events and the kid just spiraled down into the abyss of despair and took the lives of 3 fellow students. His parents were the driving force behind his despair. That being said, he must be punished and he was, and he deserved everything he got.

Rotten effing parents matter in all this stuff. But 20 complaints and nothing changed? WTF. I would have marched my arse right up to school after the first incident, walked right into the superintendent or principal's office, slammed my McMurtry baby arm holding an apple on the table and said "this ends today, here's my business card, he's what I'm going to do if it doesn't stop today". Then I would have reached out to each of those parents with a beautiful letter on my firm letterhead and let them know that I am holding them directly responsible for any and all actions of their kids for bullying. Then I'd saunter over to the local police, file a complaint, drop off my letters with the complaint, and ask the police to pay a visit. I can't imagine any local police force would not send at least one officer over to each of the bullying kids' house and scare the shit out of them.

I mean you are right--no stone should be left unturned in this day and age.

I would like to wait and see what we find out. It seems like the kid was pretty well loved at home from photos, etc, but who knows.

I'm reminded of the school shootings in Clarkston Michigan where that kid killed several classmates. Come to find out his parents treated him like absolute dog crap, the kid begged for help from his parents and they ignored him. Dad was too busy getting hammered and mom was too busy at swingers events and the kid just spiraled down into the abyss of despair and took the lives of 3 fellow students. His parents were the driving force behind his despair. That being said, he must be punished and he was, and he deserved everything he got.

Rotten effing parents matter in all this stuff. But 20 complaints and nothing changed? WTF. I would have marched my arse right up to school after the first incident, walked right into the superintendent or principal's office, slammed my McMurtry baby arm holding an apple on the table and said "this ends today, here's my business card, he's what I'm going to do if it doesn't stop today". Then I would have reached out to each of those parents with a beautiful letter on my firm letterhead and let them know that I am holding them directly responsible for any and all actions of their kids for bullying. Then I'd saunter over to the local police, file a complaint, drop off my letters with the complaint, and ask the police to pay a visit. I can't imagine any local police force would not send at least one officer over to each of the bullying kids' house and scare the shit out of them.

Same. To the letter. Slash and burn and when there was nothing left I’d pull the kid and start fresh at a new school. The aftermath of all that would leave too much discomfort and awkwardness

Sadly, this is not terribly surprising conduct by the school. School districts are two entities, an education side a business side. The education wing is staffed with teachers who have moved on from the classroom to administrative positions. As Zeke noted, teachers are steeped in collaboration, empathy, kindness and every conceivable Kumbaya process. This has a place, but it doesn’t help when a situation demands confrontation, dealing with conflict and being aggressive.

Reactions: DANC

Yikes, I hadn't heard about this stuff.

mom was too busy at swingers events

How does one find these events? Asking for a friend, of course.

Sadly, this is not terribly surprising conduct by the school. School districts are two entities, an education side a business side. The education wing is staffed with teachers who have moved on from the classroom to administrative positions. As Zeke noted, teachers are steeped in collaboration, empathy, kindness and every conceivable Kumbaya process. This has a place, but it doesn’t help when a situation demands confrontation, dealing with conflict and being aggressive.

I never saw elements of "wokery" at all when my kids were in high school (2020 and 2022 graduations). Seems
Yikes, I hadn't heard about this stuff.

How does one find these events? Asking for a friend, of course.
Well judging from the looks and weight of mom, apparently there are many events for "portly, hideous, white trash women", because she was awful busy with the swinger stuff. Put it this way, if you saw her, even McMurtry's baby would turtle up:

TOP-L-crumbleytestifies0201.jpg

I never saw elements of "wokery" at all when my kids were in high school (2020 and 2022 graduations). Seems

Well judging from the looks and weight of mom, apparently there are many events for "portly, hideous, white trash women", because she was awful busy with the swinger stuff. Put it this way, if you saw her, even McMurtry's baby would turtle up:

TOP-L-crumbleytestifies0201.jpg
let’s get @larsIU often “unique” perspective on this one…(the lady, that is)

Yeah, just so many "huh" moments in this story.
The article said the kid was bullied for wearing glasses and his malocclusion. His photo shows him young enough that most kids his age won’t have contact lens,yet or orthodontic treatment. That prepubescent age group is known as the “ugly duckling stage” for many. I guess uncoordinated kids can be subject to more ridicule, but I agree with some others, something doesn’t add up. It will be interesting to see the phone logs and hear from fellow classmates and teachers having overheard things in the hallway or on his social media. What was the boy’s home life like that perhaps pushed him over the edge, so to speak? Did the boy leave a note? Discuss anything with a close friend? Nerds have nerd friends, if no one else.

FWIW, I’ve never been a fan of GoFundMe campaigns. Once this story hits the national airways, his parents will have much more than funeral expenses covered.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
  • Wow
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
The article said the kid was bullied for wearing glasses and his malocclusion. His photo shows him young enough that most kids his age won’t have contact lens,yet or orthodontic treatment. That prepubescent age group is known as the “ugly duckling stage” for many. I guess uncoordinated kids can be subject to more ridicule, but I agree with some others, something doesn’t add up. It will be interesting to see the phone logs and hear from fellow classmates and teachers having overheard things in the hallway or on his social media. What was the boy’s home life like that perhaps pushed him over the edge, so to speak? Did the boy leave a note? Discuss anything with a close friend? Nerds have nerd friends, if no one else.

FWIW, I’ve never been a fan of GoFundMe campaigns. Once this story hits the national airways, his parents will have much more than funeral expenses covered.
I recently learned something about Cambodia's Pol Pot. He killed a ton of people in his country. I believe it was 30% of the population. He had a problem with smart people so he killed people who wore glasses. So you probably had some dumb guy who just had bad eyesight and he died. There is no doubt about it. Kids can be very cruel. They learn it from somewhere. I was not a parent who thought my kids were little angels. If someone accused them of something I investigated it and took appropriate action.

I recently learned something about Cambodia's Pol Pot. He killed a ton of people in his country. I believe it was 30% of the population. He had a problem with smart people so he killed people who wore glasses. So you probably had some dumb guy who just had bad eyesight and he died. There is no doubt about it. Kids can be very cruel. They learn it from somewhere. I was not a parent who thought my kids were little angels. If someone accused them of something I investigated it and took appropriate action.
Recently? Good God man. What else don’t you know?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT