ADVERTISEMENT

Running Back Tyus Flakes commits to Hoosiers

5'8" 197 pounds.......................no way he's even close to 197 lbs.........he does look 5'8"

5'8" 197 pounds.......................no way he's even close to 197 lbs.........he does look 5'8"
From the picture last year of him carrying the football, I see no reason he couldn't be 197lbs. He's not built like Shane Wynn.

Well, one service had him at 5'11" 185 one at 5'9" , the pic of him and family does not look like a 5'8" 197 lbs, he would be one bulked up kid......and he's not.......not saying he won't be a good running back.

Definitely don't want to bash someone haven't seen play, but just from what read:

-Not of great size
-Other offers are not highest caliber FB schools
-He's coming off of or about to have big knee surgery...

Are we supposed to be highly excited about this signee? I'll hope for the best from this that he is a diamond in the rough. He's from Alabama so probably a tough, FB playing kid.

But it is nice when they have bigger schools in the hunt than few this guy had offers from. TBD. Good luck!

Definitely don't want to bash someone haven't seen play, but just from what read:

-Not of great size
-Other offers are not highest caliber FB schools
-He's coming off of or about to have big knee surgery...

Are we supposed to be highly excited about this signee? I'll hope for the best from this that he is a diamond in the rough. He's from Alabama so probably a tough, FB playing kid.

But it is nice when they have bigger schools in the hunt than few this guy had offers from. TBD. Good luck!

Did you watch his highlights? Just wondering.

Speaking of scattering....that's what IU victories look like.....scattered. Six Big 10 victories in 4 years and you don't think that is an issue??? You don't think recruits know this? A Big Ten offer is a Big Ten offer even if it is Indiana and a recruit is never going to downplay that, so he can leverage other offers.
I know of one recruit last year who told the staff, don't even offer me, I wouldn't come to IU because I don't believe you'll be there for my time and he had 12 other offers, but said he would accept an offer from a 1-AA before going to IU.
It just shows the level of expectation for IU football
Earl Bruce had 9 victories the year he got fired, because one of them wasn't Michigan. IU would erect a monument if KW had 9 wins.

Well, I guess we should keep KW because He DOES beat Purdue.....until they get a new staff.......

QB - we seem to be doing a pretty solid job of recruiting for a coach on the proverbial hot seat, no?

The last 3 recruiting classes have enjoyed some of their highest marks.
Yes - he does have to win some games but part of the problem at IU is stability and so your point that our Big Ten win deficiency should prompt a coaching change contradicts your other point that kids don't want to come here for fear of coaching turnover. Doesn't make sense.

Earl Bruce was let go at an institution that is elite on the college football landscape. We can say different "expectations" but the reality is expectations must be tempered at a school that has zero history. If there was a magical formula to getting an automatic 9 wins per year, somebody would be using it by now.

All programs face this at some level.
Hell, Wisconsin now has 3 different coaches in the last 4 years.

Once we get to a level that the school's reputation can stand on its own two legs, we won't have to worry so much about coaching turnover.

Reactions: turney333
Speaking of scattering....that's what IU victories look like.....scattered. Six Big 10 victories in 4 years and you don't think that is an issue??? You don't think recruits know this? A Big Ten offer is a Big Ten offer even if it is Indiana and a recruit is never going to downplay that, so he can leverage other offers.
I know of one recruit last year who told the staff, don't even offer me, I wouldn't come to IU because I don't believe you'll be there for my time and he had 12 other offers, but said he would accept an offer from a 1-AA before going to IU.
Earl Bruce had 9 victories the year he got fired, because one of them wasn't Michigan. IU would erect a monument if KW had 9 wins.

Well, I guess we should keep KW because He DOES beat Purdue.....until they get a new staff.......
Our recruiting has been fine. And I don't just mean for IU. This is obviously a big year. And no we aren't OSU. Not sure why that's a surprise.

While he was dubbed by some OSU fans "old 9-3 earle," he actually only won 6 games, not 9, the year he was let go, 1987.

Earle Bruce was fire because he lost to the Hoosiers twice. And the second loss was a butt-whipping. Also, Ohio State beat Michigan in his last game, which gave him a 5-4 record against Michigan. The win gave Ohio State a 6-4-1 record in 1987. Players wore headbands with EARLE across their foreheads. But you were partially right - Ohio State did play Michigan. Its just that you got everything else wrong,

Earle Bruce was fire because he lost to the Hoosiers twice. And the second loss was a butt-whipping. Also, Ohio State beat Michigan in his last game, which gave him a 5-4 record against Michigan. The win gave Ohio State a 6-4-1 record in 1987. Players wore headbands with EARLE across their foreheads. But you were partially right - Ohio State did play Michigan. Its just that you got everything else wrong,
Bruce only lost to IU once, since he was fired at the end of the 1987 season prior to the Michigan game. John Cooper was the new coach in 1988, and he was on the sidelines in Bloomington when IU won, 41-7.

Oops. I remember Earle Bruce's comment after the loss in Columbus: "This is the darkest day in Ohio State football since I have been associated with it."

And then I remembered the banners at the stadium the next years saying something like "Welcome to Darkest Day Part II" I have had that linked to Earle Bruce forever.

You can go to youtube and find highlights of the 1987 game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT