ADVERTISEMENT

Republican debate thread

More on Haley: her post-debate interview on Hannity was interesting. She defended her take on abortion, and then addressed a question about Trump. Hannity asked her if she really believed Trump would lose to Biden, and she said yes, and he pressed her to say Trump was being politically persecuted, and she agreed. She argued that the DOJ has been weaponized against Trump, and he can't win because of it, but they (the GOP) need to win to end this weaponization, and they can use what Trump went through to do that. In short, she promised to make him a martyr. In her mind, he can't win, but he can be the rallying point to help her win.

Edit: Also, I noticed she changed. Another one of those things that I think are different between men and women. The men are all wearing the same suit at tie they wore on stage. She has to put on a new outfit before she sits down for one-on-ones.
Was she wearing a skirt or dress on stage and switched to pants for the sit downs? I honestly would never have noticed that but there are some very practical reasons for that change.

On the rest she has just joined the MAC movement I have been trying to start here. Glad to see her as a convert.

Was she wearing a skirt or dress on stage and switched to pants for the sit downs? I honestly would never have noticed that but there are some very practical reasons for that change.

On the rest she has just joined the MAC movement I have been trying to start here. Glad to see her as a convert.
I would have no problem with the first woman of color president being a good looking republican.

More on Haley: her post-debate interview on Hannity was interesting. She defended her take on abortion, and then addressed a question about Trump. Hannity asked her if she really believed Trump would lose to Biden, and she said yes, and he pressed her to say Trump was being politically persecuted, and she agreed. She argued that the DOJ has been weaponized against Trump, and he can't win because of it, but they (the GOP) need to win to end this weaponization, and they can use what Trump went through to do that. In short, she promised to make him a martyr. In her mind, he can't win, but he can be the rallying point to help her win.

Edit: Also, I noticed she changed. Another one of those things that I think are different between men and women. The men are all wearing the same suit at tie they wore on stage. She has to put on a new outfit before she sits down for one-on-ones.
I have a bad visceral reaction to Pub pols using the DOJ weaponization bullshit for Trump’s crimes, but I think I can give Haley a pass. It’s a good strategy for her because she can’t afford to be anti-Trump to have a fighting chance at the nomination. I’m also convinced she doesn’t believe it, and would skillfully work around the Pub crazy train, if elected.

In general, I think she would bring a somewhat hard right agenda to the oval, with a soft demeanor, that would limit the vitriol from liberals. I think she would definitely tamper down the racist elements of Trumpism.

I have a bad visceral reaction to Pub pols using the DOJ weaponization bullshit for Trump’s crimes, but I think I can give Haley a pass. It’s a good strategy for her because she can’t afford to be anti-Trump to have a fighting chance at the nomination. I’m also convinced she doesn’t believe it, and would skillfully work around the Pub crazy train, if elected.

In general, I think she would bring a somewhat hard right agenda to the oval, with a soft demeanor, that would limit the vitriol from liberals. I think she would definitely tamper down the racist elements of Trumpism.
The jaded part of me, which is me, thinks this country is in a really bad spot. I’ll pick on Lars. He raised Newsom. Whitmer. And I think stay at home Pete. I despise all of them. Lars is someone I’d be buddies with in the real world. But it seems our people have really become politically divided. The three he named are wayyy left to me. And I think they now represent a large percentage of Americans. Just as trump and Desantis do as well. So the moderates aren’t really appealing to most Americans anymore. Most now want politicians further left or right. And that’s going to leave a ton of people really unhappy. That divide is evident on this board and I am beginning to think reflective of society on so many issues from foreign policy to culture shit to taxes to cops. Not good imo. Throw in the fact that a new two bedroom condo in bton is $775k and things seem even worse

The jaded part of me, which is me, thinks this country is in a really bad spot. I’ll pick on Lars. He raised Newsom. Whitmer. And I think stay at home Pete. I despise all of them. Lars is someone I’d be buddies with in the real world. But it seems our people have really become politically divided. The three he named are wayyy left to me. And I think they now represent a large percentage of Americans. Just as trump and Desantis do as well. So the moderates aren’t really appealing to most Americans anymore. Most now want politicians further left or right. And that’s going to leave a ton of people really unhappy. That divide is evident on this board and I am beginning to think reflective of society on so many issues from foreign policy to culture shit to taxes to cops. Not good imo. Throw in the fact that a new two bedroom condo in bton is $775k and things seem even worse
To be fair, those three are who I thought the Dems might nominate if Biden keels or Trump isn’t the Pub nom.

Beshear would be great. Or Shapiro. Both have as good a chance at the Dem nom as Haley does with the Pubs.

Pete is smart. Not sure he has the experience yet. Maybe he never will.

Reactions: Morrison
The country just needs a real leader to bring the country out if this. That means if the leader is a Dem, they need to stand up to some of the shit the far left is pushing around gender issues, etc. That also means if that leader is a Pub, they need to stand up to the crazy conspiracy shit, etc.

I think Haley could be that person, and I think Shapiro could be that person for the Dems. I won’t hold my breath.

Personally, I think we’re screwed, but hope I’m wrong. The overly woke stuff is a much easier fix than Trumpism. I think if Trump just gets the nomination, even if he’s defeated again, our country will never recover. As always, just my opinion.

The country just needs a real leader to bring the country out if this. That means if the leader is a Dem, they need to stand up to some of the shit the far left is pushing around gender issues, etc. That also means if that leader is a Pub, they need to stand up to the crazy conspiracy shit, etc.

I think Haley could be that person, and I think Shapiro could be that person for the Dems. I won’t hold my breath.

Personally, I think we’re screwed, but hope I’m wrong. The overly woke stuff is a much easier fix than Trumpism. I think if Trump just gets the nomination, even if he’s defeated again, our country will never recover. As always, just my opinion.
Maybe the woke far left isn’t far anymore. It’s just most of the left now. And maybe trumpers are most of the right.

• Sad
Reactions: Morrison
Not my party (obviously) so I'm super biased, but trying to look through the lens of 'who are the pub candidates that would scare me because of their message' from tonight and it's by far....

1. Haley - she seemed grounded and politically reasonable while sending out HUGE 'I see you' suburban, soccer mom vibes. IE.... Zeke's reaction scares me. Haley gets credit for that.

2. Tim Scott - I think he has a very compelling story to tell that can resonate both sides feels. He admits he grew up in poverty (relating to leftish experiences) but is living proof that the American dream is real (appealing to the nationalistic emotion). I will say I don't think that Tim Scott hates me. The trumpier guys, particularly Homelander does.

3. Christie and Pence in an alternative universe (obviously they aren't going to win the primary). They come across to me as Reagan conservatives. Obviously Pence is shiite evangelical, but again I don't think he hates me and I believe him (and Christie) that they actually try to walk what they are talking, even if I don't agree with it.

Also, I think history is going to view Pence favorably in 100 years

4. Vivek scared me at first because of his polish but, I think it's obvious he himself doesn't believe he's a serious candidate and best is trying to be Trump's VP, but more likely trying to make money off the movement. His actual political platform is straight out of Starship Troopers.

Fun fact: Vivek, Buttigieg and Elaine Stefanik are college buds who were on the Harvard Student Political Union at the Institute of Politics. I stand by my earlier call that strictly from as a messenger, Vivek reminds me of Pete. Just like Pete, they both started as unheard of candidates that jumped as the campaigns moved along. Being an effective communicator is a politician's superpower.

Which leads me to.....

5. Desantis. Just wow. I know the dude is smart but holy hell is just a disaster of a politician. Fake, awkward, zero ability to adapt to things not following his script and yeah, I'm pretty sure he hates me and wants me dead. That's extremely difficult to win a general when you are THAT BAD of a communicator and you have the personality of someone who hates people so much you can't even fake it (meaning, be a politician).

He was compared to Homelander from The Boyz and I can't unsee that now. Except Homelander is great in front of the camera and a total psychopath off of it. Desantis gives off the off camera Homelander on the national stage. He's trying so hard to smile and it comes across a forced.

I was scared of Desantis in the beginning but not in the least (well, as far as legitimately winning. If he did win seriously I think he wants me dead. I'm a straight, white dude. Can't imagine the vibes he gives off to women and minority citizens.

Plus he still has no idea what he wants to do with his campaign. Vivek was insufferable tonight but it's very obvious he's going to embrace Trumpism to the max.

The telling moment was the show of hands for pardoning Trump and Vivek immediately went up.... Desantis panicked, looked both ways, then put his hand up after he saw that it was the popular move with that crowd.

Just gutless.

That being said, Desantis actually kind of won tonight only because Vivek made himself the focus and took most of the fire. For that along with him getting in his canned, prepared quips he gets a W (because I don't think he survives when the pack turns on him).

Last edited:
Vivek=Bernie

At this point at least. In my mind. You can hear his cohort drowning everybody out. And Trump will end him.
I’ve only read to your comment and did not watch debate. My wife described Vivek as an insincere Pete B candidate.

Insincere as in someone acting like not their real self but trying to mimic how Pete speaks. Also somewhat of an extremist on their beliefs.

Reactions: TommyCracker
I’ve only read to your comment and did not watch debate. My wife described Vivek as an insincere Pete B candidate.

Insincere as in someone acting like not their real self but trying to mimic how Pete speaks. Also somewhat of an extremist on their beliefs.
Pete on sixteen Red Bulls. Vivek is smart but he, quite clearly, has no idea how government works. And while he can stand up there and say he’s not a politician, I’m not sure how he thinks he can win a political job without being one. Only Trump has figured that out so far.

And hell, Trump knew he needed support from within the party pretty early on. Telling everybody on the stage they are “bought and paid for” sure isn’t going to win Vivek any friends.

I dont think we should give anyone a pass for spreading the bs about doj weaponization. Undermining faith in the DOJ for political gain is all levels of wrong.

I don't think we can assume anything. Politicians should be held to account for what they say. We can't be certain she will grow a spine once elected.

Last edited:
Didn't watch the Secretary of Transportation debate. But the Trump/Tucker interview was great. Already has 147M views. Holy smokes!

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
I dont think we should give anyone a pass for speading the bs about doj weaponization. Undermining faith in the DOJ for political gain is all levels of wrong.

I don't think we can assume anything. Politicians should be held to account for what they say. We can't be certain she will grow a spine once elected.
The DOJ needs fixed. Any candidate not looking to housecleaning from this side of the aisle has zero shot. 80% of base Republican voters aren't happy with the DOJ and it goes beyond Trump as Scott alluded to.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
The DOJ needs fixed. Any candidate not looking to housecleaning from this side of the aisle has zero shot. 80% of base Republican voters aren't happy with the DOJ and it goes beyond Trump as Scott alluded to.
The republican base aren't happy with the doj because of conservative politicians and media lying about it being weaponized

• Haha
Reactions: ulrey
The republican base aren't happy with the doj because of conservative politicians and media lying about it being weaponized
Nah, not the case. However, I am not going to spend any more time arguing with you about it.

Nah, not the case. However, I am not going to spend any more time arguing with you about it.

It is the case. Maybe if you did research with an open mind and outside of your propaganda then you might realize it.

It would be a good thought exercise for you to actually prove that using logic expressions and not media-fed emotional drivel.
People of color are doing absolutely amazing in states and cities like NY, CA, and IL which the Dems have run exclusively for decades. Didn't you know that?

• Haha
Reactions: IU_Hickory
Live action shot of the debate last night...

daily_picdump_4436_640_02.jpg

I love how Hickory just laughs at everything because he can't refute a damned thing.

Some posters are a lost cause and no point in arguing with them. Now if they would add a thumbs down emoji, then I would make use of that instead.

BTW, conservative posters make just as much use of the laughing emoji.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT