ADVERTISEMENT

Relax ...

IU going to a Bowl in Football is like going to the Final Four in Basketball or Soccer!

This was the bowl to win... may be years before another chance. The team played hard... offense is fun but IU has to recruit defense. No criticism of effort

as a long-time fan (freshman in '66), I'd like to thank Coach Wilson and his players for an exciting season ... and this team will be better in 2016! Go IU!

It'll be years before we get to another bowl game. This was the one to win. We got a gift game against a bad team, and still couldn't stop them.

Just back to hotel after the game. That one was an emotional roller coaster.
The game was truly lost by the offensive side. Missed score with Nate's interception that bobbled around, Paige's fumble on the punt, Cobbs dropped pass on the Paige WR pass.

The running game was fine but we shot ourselves in the foot on at least 3 occasions. IU outnumbered the Duke fans....so there was that....and that interception return by Crawford and the resulting penalty were killers.

The game was truly lost by the offensive side. Missed score with Nate's interception that bobbled around, Paige's fumble on the punt, Cobbs dropped pass on the Paige WR pass.

The running game was fine but we shot ourselves in the foot on at least 3 occasions. IU outnumbered the Duke fans....so there was that....and that interception return by Crawford and the resulting penalty were killers.
Thing is, when you score 41 and you give up 44 that's on your defense. You are expecting our offense to score every time we have the ball. (Between us, with our defense that's what it takes to win a game). This game, Rutgers, Michigan they were all on the defense. Our offense scores enough points for us to win most of our games.

I was at the stadium tonite as well.

GO HOOSIERS!!!

Enough miscues everywhere today. We were just not ready to play a mediocre Duke team. Offense, more crappy defense and how about special teams.....horrendous kick off coverage, Paige's fumbled punt and "the missed" fg that actually looked good on one particular angle. Props to Redding, he came to play.

Riddle me this: Oakes put nearly every kickoff out of the endzone in games this season.
He cannot do that in this game?

Why?

One of them led to a 98 yard KO return for a touchdown. Granted, our kickoff coverage is always pretty bad but....why keep kicking to someone who you know is dangerous?

Thing is, when you score 41 and you give up 44 that's on your defense. You are expecting our offense to score every time we have the ball. (Between us, with our defense that's what it takes to win a game). This game, Rutgers, Michigan they were all on the defense. Our offense scores enough points for us to win most of our games.

I was at the stadium tonite as well.

GO HOOSIERS!!!
Giving up three turnovers and a special teams touchdown give you almost no chance to win. The defense can't allow three 100 yard rushers, but they alone weren't responsible for the loss. I like Wilson, but I'm still not sure he's the guy. Too many mistakes and way too many coaching errors.

Reactions: Monday QB
The fact of the matter is scoring 41 wasn't enough. That's on the defense and special teams. The other fact of the matter is that more than 41 should've been scored. That's on the offense and the special teams.

Kind of a pattern here. The bottom of our roster is still a major problem.

Reactions: Iamhoosier
3 plays totaling 250+ yards and 3 TDs killed us.

I don't know how that QB ran a draw for 75 yards. Randall Cunningham or Cam Newton? Sure. Their QB is good...but how nobody even appeared to catch up to him baffles me.

I think Sudfeld could break a long one against our D.

Giving up big plays killed us and have killed us for years.

I actually didn't expect IU to come out and play sharp, especially on D. We should have won the game, the turnovers were killer, and there were a few questionable coaching decisions too which isn't anything new either. It's the first bowl game we've played in a long time, so it's new ground and a whole different experience for this team and coaching staff. Hopefully we'll get to another one next year and play better. Baby steps....

Many of you are projecting future years based on what limited observations you have of the personnel playing this year.

We have guys on the roster and in the pipeline you haven't even seen yet. How in God's name are you going to say this is the last bowl? Stupid.

I'll stick to the positives. Highly entertaining game played on ABC in a time slot where even the casual football fan had to tune in. Not to mention being played in NYC.

A missed call or other reasons didn't get us the W but in terms of additional exposure for IU....we nailed it. Exciting offense and if you are a defensive player with talent you can see a chance for early playing time potentially. Win/Win in my book for bowl exposure.

Many of you are projecting future years based on what limited observations you have of the personnel playing this year.

We have guys on the roster and in the pipeline you haven't even seen yet. How in God's name are you going to say this is the last bowl? Stupid.

I agree BRCB. Doesn't this make you wish that all of the "fair-weather" football fans who are posting all of the stupid and negative comments, the same ones who haven't been to this forum in years, would just go back to the basketball forums and take all of there negativity with them. Please leave the knowledge football fans alone... go away.

Game is now over, I agree everyone should relax and IU coaches get on with recruiting and sealing the deal for a great class to build on a productive bowl year.

Coach Wilson, I hope you hear loud and clearly, what you surely must know, something must be done to improve the woeful IU defense. 41 points should win 90% or more games, and this kind of thing has happened a lot this season and during your 5 yr run. You have developed an offense that can score on seemingly even best of teams. We've been saying just having a defense from 125th ranked in D1 to 60th ranked and that alone would likely be difference of 2-3 games potentially.

You have to be accountable, Def coaches (all of them) have to be evaluated and everything has to be on the table (like moving some more athletes over to D, a different focus on recruiting to yes, replacing coaches if have to.) But the scab has been picked so many times you are looking at an infection if the symptoms are not treated.

But like earlier posters, I did enjoy the season in terms of effort, playing top 15 teams to the wire and developing players who will go on to the next level, 2 all-americans and a first trip to a bowl in awhile. Keep on making the steps and pretty soon IU will cross the hump. They are not that far away!

Game is now over, I agree everyone should relax and IU coaches get on with recruiting and sealing the deal for a great class to build on a productive bowl year.

Coach Wilson, I hope you hear loud and clearly, what you surely must know, something must be done to improve the woeful IU defense. 41 points should win 90% or more games, and this kind of thing has happened a lot this season and during your 5 yr run. You have developed an offense that can score on seemingly even best of teams. We've been saying just having a defense from 125th ranked in D1 to 60th ranked and that alone would likely be difference of 2-3 games potentially.

You have to be accountable, Def coaches (all of them) have to be evaluated and everything has to be on the table (like moving some more athletes over to D, a different focus on recruiting to yes, replacing coaches if have to.) But the scab has been picked so many times you are looking at an infection if the symptoms are not treated.

But like earlier posters, I did enjoy the season in terms of effort, playing top 15 teams to the wire and developing players who will go on to the next level, 2 all-americans and a first trip to a bowl in awhile. Keep on making the steps and pretty soon IU will cross the hump. They are not that far away!
Good post.

If 5-7 teams can go to a bowl, IU may get back to one soon... winning one is a different story. They sure have got some big time offensive talent. as the announcers called out - IU has not put the talent in the DB and that yields the huge plays. The team effort is there. Duke never could stop the running game even without Howard. That part of the game was impressive. PSU,Michigan, OSU, MSU are having monster recruiting seasons - IU has a lot of catch up.

Just to put things in prospective, if it had been the Duke qb rather than it being Sudfeld, how many of you would have screaming bloody murder for intentional grounding not being called when Sudfeld made that left-handed, look-the-other-way, shot put attempt of a pass as he was being dragged down during the previous play?

There was also an obvious pass inference against Duke that was not called. I chose not to look for IU penalties that were not called so I didn't see too many. Doesn't mean they weren't there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT