ADVERTISEMENT

Reasons For Optimism Today

IUFANBB

Benchwarmer
Oct 31, 2012
There were a few things to get excited about today.

- The Ohio State game is over
- Sluggish or not, our run defense did a really respectable job against a National Championship contender. They rushed for 350+ yards last year @ 8 yards a clip. We cut that to 143 net & 4.6 a carry.
- Break away runs limited - good tackling - 17 & 19 were the longest runs.
- Illinois does not look to good - (welcome to year 2 Big Boy)
- No serious injuries that I saw
- We covered the original spread of 28 & obviously the Buckeye faithful who loaded up on their team & pushed it to 30 against the lowly Hoosiers. Sorry for your losses..

Yes, or defense played very well without giving up big plays, Day's son thought it was because coach G knew OSU's plays not realizing it is because far better now than the last two years.

Reactions: Hoosier009
We are playing 1AA team that failed to score vs another 1AA team

Blidi, Carter, Harris and others did a great job up front. Our secondary the other worldly WR OSU had so they are off to a great start. Our OL only allowed two hits on the QB one a sack and the other a pressure. It shows the defensive coaches are very good with talented players while our OC didn't do well with very talented players and a much better OL.

Bell needs to do much better the next three weeks or he needs to be gone. For those that don't see how bad he has been last year and this game don't understand why I go after him. I hope he can show he is good but it is questionable that he is. IU needs to open up the purse so coach Allen can bring in a very good OC.

Blidi, Carter, Harris and others did a great job up front. Our secondary the other worldly WR OSU had so they are off to a great start. Our OL only allowed two hits on the QB one a sack and the other a pressure. It shows the defensive coaches are very good with talented players while our OC didn't do well with very talented players and a much better OL. He better do much better the next three weeks or he needs to be gone.
I think one of the QB hits was when Bray Lynch replaced Bedford.

Blidi, Carter, Harris and others did a great job up front. Our secondary the other worldly WR OSU had so they are off to a great start. Our OL only allowed two hits on the QB one a sack and the other a pressure. It shows the defensive coaches are very good with talented players while our OC didn't do well with very talented players and a much better OL.

Bell needs to do much better the next three weeks or he needs to be gone. For those that don't see how bad he has been last year and this game don't understand why I go after him. I hope he can show he is good but it is questionable that he is. IU needs to open up the purse so coach Allen can bring in a very good OC.
Agree: I'd sure like to see innovation for an OC. Not sure the triple option fits the bill although I do like it as a changeup. Be better if we can get more than 2.4 yards per carry. Looking for much more from OC. Also like him to be good. Don't like new coordinators all the time. Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: vesuvius13

Bell needs to do much better the next three weeks or he needs to be gone. For those that don't see how bad he has been last year and this game don't understand why I go after him. I hope he can show he is good but it is questionable that he is. IU needs to open up the purse so coach Allen can bring in a very good
So, the OL coach gets all the credit for our sack and pressure totals and the OC gets the blame for everything else?

Reactions: Palmbeachhoosier
Hudson Card on track as the Heisman front runner. Right on schedule accordingly to our Boiler guests. The defensive secondary, however….oof! Almost 500 yards of passing for Fresno?
Given Walters reputation, that surprised me.
Where are the Boiler guests? Especially the one that said PU was going to be better this year than last year after losing the players that sat out the Bowl game to LSU.

Last edited:
Agree: I'd sure like to see innovation for an OC. Not sure the triple option fits the bill although I do like it as a changeup. Be better if we can get more than 2.4 yards per carry. Looking for much more from OC. Also like him to be good. Don't like new coordinators all the time. Go Hoosiers!
I actually could get behind some sort of modified/modernized triple option offense. NFL teams are valuing QBs that can run, more and more. So as long as it isn't a full on military academy type triple option, I'm not as certain the overall principles and style are as alienating for high major talent as they were even a few years go.

Could a Justin Fields type guy get drafted, and have success running a modified triple option, throwing it 25-30 times a game, and rushing it 10-15 times a game? What type of other NFL skill players could we attract?

I actually could get behind some sort of modified/modernized triple option offense. NFL teams are valuing QBs that can run, more and more. So as long as it isn't a full on military academy type triple option, I'm not as certain the overall principles and style are as alienating for high major talent as they were even a few years go.

Could a Justin Fields type guy get drafted, and have success running a modified triple option, throwing it 25-30 times a game, and rushing it 10-15 times a game? What type of other NFL skill players could we attract?
I agree with this. OSU had a longer time to prepare even though their DC said they didn't.

Reactions: DANC
I agree with this. OSU had a longer time to prepare even though their DC said they didn't.
They didn’t prepare for it because we’ve barely run it previously, and we’d never run it with either of the quarterbacks who played Saturday. Seriously doubt we’re going to see this as anything other than an occasional wrinkle.

And even if they didn't...OSU's strength defensively is their front. With their size and talent level, they probably didn't need to worry about our dive plays. And with their speed, they new we weren't going to beat them to the edge too many times. OSU, Michigan, PSU...those teams are going to capable of stopping THIS IU teams's "triple option" attempts, fairly easily. Especially if we can't figure out how to effectively throw out of it. I'm not so sure any of the other 9 teams would fare as well, though.

But we played about as generic and vanilla as one could play, and we were only down 7 late in the 3rd quarter. If our QBs get a little more comfortable running it, pulling it a few more times, and then start connecting on more passing plays...is that not a strategy that brings actually beating teams like PSU more in to play? And then being consistently successful against everyone else?

I hope something unique, repeatable, and successful is brewing.

They didn’t prepare for it because we’ve barely run it previously, and we’d never run it with either of the quarterbacks who played Saturday. Seriously doubt we’re going to see this as anything other than an occasional wrinkle.
We ran it vs. PU and Lucas scored a TD on the option. They faked the dive to Henderson and pitched it to Lucas. Dexter has the ability to run it. It's not rocket science to think the other 2 can. We haven't thrown much off it. OSU saw Dexter run last year. Sorsby was recruited by Army and Navy. Don't act like it was some shocking development.

And even if they didn't...OSU's strength defensively is their front. With their size and talent level, they probably didn't need to worry about our dive plays. And with their speed, they new we weren't going to beat them to the edge too many times. OSU, Michigan, PSU...those teams are going to capable of stopping THIS IU teams's "triple option" attempts, fairly easily. Especially if we can't figure out how to effectively throw out of it. I'm not so sure any of the other 9 teams would fare as well, though.

But we played about as generic and vanilla as one could play, and we were only down 7 late in the 3rd quarter. If our QBs get a little more comfortable running it, pulling it a few more times, and then start connecting on more passing plays...is that not a strategy that brings actually beating teams like PSU more in to play? And then being consistently successful against everyone else?

Our QB's need reps in reading the defense on the option. It will be more difficult to defend in the future when teams don't have time to prep.

• Wow
Reactions: Jackskip23 and DANC
Hudson Card on track as the Heisman front runner. Right on schedule accordingly to our Boiler guests. The defensive secondary, however….oof! Almost 500 yards of passing for Fresno?
Given Walters reputation, that surprised me.
Doesn't surprise me. Walters had 3 NFL players in his backfield last year and, actually, Illinois had some good talent on Defense. Lovie's problem wasn't recruiting. They also play in the B1G West.

Walters checked a box or two. I can't think of any other reason PU hired him, with their history of hiring pretty good offensive coaches.

It's a good offense for Dexter....

Reactions: midwolfe and td75
Our QB's need reps in reading the defense on the option. It will be more difficult to defend in the future when teams don't have time to prep.
Definitely. And again, OSU is MUCH more capable of stringing those options out and effectively guarding both players than most of our schedule would ever be.

I'm firmly NOT in favor of an all out triple option program. But I think using some of the elements regularly, and figuring out good, comfortable, ways to throw out of it, could create our own version of it, that could become something we could win off of.

We ran it vs. PU and Lucas scored a TD on the option. They faked the dive to Henderson and pitched it to Lucas. Dexter has the ability to run it. It's not rocket science to think the other 2 can. We haven't thrown much off it. OSU saw Dexter run last year. Sorsby was recruited by Army and Navy. Don't act like it was some shocking development.
It’s not shocking, but we cant execute it with any degree of reliability, which is why we rarely run it. It’s something we’ll do as a wrinkle, but that’s it, and it’s why OSU didn’t spend any time prepping for it.

Reactions: Stlgator2223
It’s not shocking, but we cant execute it with any degree of reliability, which is why we rarely run it. It’s something we’ll do as a wrinkle, but that’s it, and it’s why OSU didn’t spend any time prepping for it.
They have the talent to string out the QB and throw off the lanes so QB can't get up field with the proper pitch angle. OSU was prepared for it. You are believing their BS. Watch last years game when Dexter came in for the first time. They weren't prepared for his running then because they hadn't seen it. Dexter took some sacks last year but he ran the ball against them.

They have the talent to string out the QB and throw off the lanes so QB can't get up field with the proper pitch angle. OSU was prepared for it. You are believing their BS. Watch last years game when Dexter came in for the first time. They weren't prepared for his running then because they hadn't seen it. Dexter took some sacks last year but he ran the ball against them.
I’m not believing any BS, I’m watching what we do and I understand what I’m seeing. Early pitches aren’t a result of stringing out the play. That’s not how it works. The edge defender forces an early pitch, which s why the quarterback can’t get up the field. They were certainly more athletic, but they also had a numbers advantage because they didn’t respect our ability to throw the ball. When they bring more than we can block, it’s going to be difficult to execute the offense, and it’s definitely going to be difficult to run that version of the option.

Reactions: 82hoosier
I’m not believing any BS, I’m watching what we do and I understand what I’m seeing. Early pitches aren’t a result of stringing out the play. That’s not how it works. The edge defender forces an early pitch, which s why the quarterback can’t get up the field. They were certainly more athletic, but they also had a numbers advantage because they didn’t respect our ability to throw the ball. When they bring more than we can block, it’s going to be difficult to execute the offense, and it’s definitely going to be difficult to run that version of the option.
2 freshmen QB's trying to read the DE.

A+ to the defensive backfield, for sure. The biggest surprise of the game.

Where are the Boiler guests? Especially the one that said PU was going to be better this year than last year after losing the players that sat out the Bowl game to LSU.
They don't want to hear from us about losing is my guess.

Thanks Tegray1, as it explains one of the hits and shows IU's OL is much better now with Bostad at IU.
https://www.si.com/college/indiana/...g-early-signs-of-improvement-under-bob-bostad

The SI IU beat press reports the OL thinks they are playing better.

From a player's perspective, Carpenter and Benson agreed the offensive line performed at a higher level on Saturday compared to last season. Carpenter believes this is a result of better preparation, leading to what he considered the best communication of any game he's played at Indiana since joining the team in 2021.

Carpenter said Bostad has implemented different terms and rules for the offensive line, which allowed the group to operate as a cohesive unit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT