ADVERTISEMENT

Quote by Glen Mason

The bottom line is this: we have debated all season long this notion of improvement. Many of us have lamented that the defense has only showed flashes but no real indication of appeciable improvement there. Any IU fan knows that the defense is the key to getting over the hump. Always has been.

Arguably, this defensive "improvement" was masked by the fact we had 5 of 6 games against highly ranked teams. So, I was willing to give you all the benefit of the doubt.
My point is this: 2 games against teams we should beat. We are 1-0 on the new season. If this improvement and maturity is there in Season #5, we win the last one and go bowling. If we choke in historic fashion, I don't know if the body of work speaks for your argument.

I am critical of the team when it's warranted. This past Saturday was really not one of them. Started out horribly, regained composure and then stomped on them.

I said it in earlier post as well. If Wilson is able to rally the troops and get two wins here in winnable games, tells me he's got their heads in the right place.
And, i've always said that I will be the first in line to buy tickets and airfare for that bowl game should it come.

Fans can be critical. And I place my money where my mouth is and support them through attendance.
Actually there should be no debate about our improvement, why is this still an issue with some of you? We have 4 brand new starters in the secondary, not to mention most first year players. Dutra started once last year. A DC cant run his defense if he cant trust his secondary, but how many games did we close better than last year? Well, I'm gonna tell you:
MD, we lost by 22 last year
Iowa, we lost by 16 last year
Michigan, we lost by 24 last year
OSU, we lost by 15 last year
MSU, we lost by 39 last year

Yes we completely blew it against Rutgers. But how about the comeback win against MD you have nothing to complain about? How about they cancel each other out.

"I am critical of the team when it's warranted." When are you positive?

"If Wilson is able to rally the troops and get two wins here in winnable games" What about the games we have been in, that preseason, and I am only GUESSING, you, me and others thought were very far from winnable we were in, ended up winnable?

"If we choke in historic fashion" Well don't we have to be assumed better than our opponents??

You come across as very negative no matter what.

would you believe both sides are right? I think that's why the debate becomes so easily heated.

CKW is a great motivator...a good recruiter...based on what the program has available to recruit with...and has been a good steward of the football team. I can easily see why players, fans, and the university would be proud to have him leading the team.

however his game management is quite frankly atrocious. with the inconsistent defense indiana has they should never, ever sit on a one score lead. and when down one score they should play like they need to score at least twice. in fact, they should almost never base their style of play on the scoreboard at all, yet in the second half its as if the play calls are scripted based on the time and score. after watching this team the past 5 years I can pretty much predict 90% of the second half play calling. and I'm sure the rest of the Big Ten can too.

and with the offense they have they should almost never not try to score before the end of a half. yet they almost always wind up falling on the ball in the backfield to end a half. I still haven't forgiven him for the backwards screen pass called in the Minnesota game two years ago. on the bright side I have seen some improvement this year (I really only think he hurt the team in a couple of games this year)

yet despite this. he has done a great job at developing offensive players. the program is run with even handed discipline all Hoosiers can be proud of. And the team competes hard every week no matter who the competition is.

CKW isn't HEP. but he damn sure isn't Sampson either.

Reactions: hoosier roadtrips
Might be nice to wait until next year, no?
didn't really have a running back going into this year either did we?

get to a bowl game and with everyone but the qb coming back...filling the qb slot wont be an insurmountable problem.

lose Saturday...and there may be a problem

This was a cut and paste from the Elkhart Truth articl. "Glen Mason, color commentating for BTN Saturday and possessed of a lengthy Big Ten coaching pedigree, put it this way during the third quarter when the subject of IU’s 0-6 Big Ten record heading into the game arose: “Yeah? Watch the film. This is a vastly improved Indiana football team under Kevin Wilson.” That comes from a man who has broken down a lot of Big Ten film."

Now if this is what he sees then what does the naysayers see when they say that IU is no better now than when CKC took over the program?

Honest question and I would love to read some honest answers from ...... well you know who you are.

I have some honest answers (or questions).

What in the hell is Glen Mason supposed to say? He's a fellow coach -- he isn't going to throw Wilson under the bus.

The bottom line is we have a coach five years into his tenure. We're still dead last (or almost dead last) in every defensive category in the Big Ten. Five years in and we're still last in the Big Ten in recruiting. Five years in and we're still starting freshman in the secondary.

Can you not see how a fan may be concerned? You act as if it's outrageous that anyone question Wilson's capability as a head coach.

This was a cut and paste from the Elkhart Truth articl. "Glen Mason, color commentating for BTN Saturday and possessed of a lengthy Big Ten coaching pedigree, put it this way during the third quarter when the subject of IU’s 0-6 Big Ten record heading into the game arose: “Yeah? Watch the film. This is a vastly improved Indiana football team under Kevin Wilson.” That comes from a man who has broken down a lot of Big Ten film."

Now if this is what he sees then what does the naysayers see when they say that IU is no better now than when CKC took over the program?

Honest question and I would love to read some honest answers from ...... well you know who you are.

We're 6-6 with a bad defense and we lose a really good QB after this year. I'm not seeing the Rose bowl in our future anytime soon.

What in the hell is Glen Mason supposed to say? He's a fellow coach -- he isn't going to throw Wilson under the bus.

The bottom line is we have a coach five years into his tenure. We're still dead last (or almost dead last) in every defensive category in the Big Ten. Five years in and we're still last in the Big Ten in recruiting. Five years in and we're still starting freshman in the secondary.

Can you not see how a fan may be concerned? You act as if it's outrageous that anyone question Wilson's capability as a head coach.

Who said that he was supposed to throw Wilson under the bus? IMO, if he thought Wilson was doing a lousy job he just wouldn't say anything. He didn't have to say what he said.

To paraphrase you, How in the hell did you get that I considered it "outrageous that anyone question Wilson's capability"? I was responding to those who said that IU was not improved under Wilson, thus my use of Mason's quote.

There is PLENTY to question Wilson about, such as, questionable clock management, obviously the lack of defensive improvement and even play calling but to say that IU is not improved is just not based on what I see on the field.

What in the hell is Glen Mason supposed to say? He's a fellow coach -- he isn't going to throw Wilson under the bus.....

As to your first question...Gerry Dinardo sure has no problem criticizing other coaches. Do you honestly think that Glenn Mason is going to go out and say that...and he said it again TODAY...without actually meaning it?

As to your second question...Yeah, I can see how a fan may be concerned, especially fans who know nothing more than to look at wins and losses and no.t what goes into actually building a program. Feel free to question Wilson's capability as a head coach. However, when you do not recognize nor accept that the program is actually making progress, then yes, I will act as if it is outrageous because you are missing a much bigger picture that leads to the wins and the losses

We're 6-6 with a bad defense and we lose a really good QB after this year. I'm not seeing the Rose bowl in our future anytime soon.
Who said anything about a Rose Bowl? Stick to goats.

Yup you are right. But maybe you are only used to noticing negatives about IU. Are you going to mention recruiting under Wilson? Are you going to mention the offense under Wilson? Are you going to mention how tough we played this year?

Maybe you don't mention any of that. But if you watch any college football, read about college football, you will understand that Wilson has done an outstanding job for IU when compared to where we have been.

You are now in the minority.

Who said anything about the Rose Bowl? He got the program out of the gutter.

And yeah, players graduate. Welcome to college sports.

How
How about a few winning seasons, or is that not good enough for IU and its fans?

How

How about a few winning seasons, or is that not good enough for IU and its fans?

We didn't have a winning season this year.

I'm glad we were competitive this year but we were competitive in ARE's senior season too but our defense was just as bad as it is right now. The following year ARE left and everybody knew what was going to happen to the program.

We're getting ready to lose a senior QB who will probably be playing on Sundays at some point. That is a HUGE loss to a team with no defense. This reminds me of the end of the 2001 season. Not trying to rain on the parade but I've been following IU football since the Corso years and it's difficult to jump on the bandwagon anymore without a LOT of reason.

I did back in the late 80s when for a few seasons we had a good offense AND a good defense but that was a hundred years ago,.

Such optimism from a mod....

Did you realize that we are in the running for at least one if not a couple Juco kids to replace Nate?

We didn't have a winning season this year.

I'm glad we were competitive this year but we were competitive in ARE's senior season too but our defense was just as bad as it is right now. The following year ARE left and everybody knew what was going to happen to the program.

We're getting ready to lose a senior QB who will probably be playing on Sundays at some point. That is a HUGE loss to a team with no defense. This reminds me of the end of the 2001 season. Not trying to rain on the parade but I've been following IU football since the Corso years and it's difficult to jump on the bandwagon anymore without a LOT of reason.

I did back in the late 80s when for a few seasons we had a good offense AND a good defense but that was a hundred years ago,.

We were not that competitive in AREs last year. It was a really weak year for the big ten. We played only one team that finished the year in the top 25, Illinois #12, and we lost by 21. Of our 6 losses that year, 5 were by by 2 TDs or more.

Also, while Sudfeld is really important to this team, we will also be MUCH stronger at every other position on offense compared to the year after ARE.

As I said...At least one (Richard Lagow) if not couple of Juco kids (Jerod Evans, Riley Ferguson & Trent Hosick) to replace Nate.
Not sure any of the other guys are anything more than Plan B guys (from either IU's or their perspective). IU in a very tight spot at qb for next year if they don't get Lagow.

Not sure any of the other guys are anything more than Plan B guys (from either IU's or their perspective). IU in a very tight spot at qb for next year if they don't get Lagow.
It's still early...a lot can happen in recruiting, especially Juco Recruiting over the next month. I'm happy that IU has Plan B guys as opposed to putting all their eggs in one basket. Will it work out? Who knows...but I know that we also have Austin King coming in and he could be someone to step in if needed.

Regardless, neither you nor I know where IU stands with any of those Juco kids...either the ones currently known about or others that we have not heard of being mentioned yet.

It's still early...a lot can happen in recruiting, especially Juco Recruiting over the next month. I'm happy that IU has Plan B guys as opposed to putting all their eggs in one basket. Will it work out? Who knows...but I know that we also have Austin King coming in and he could be someone to step in if needed.

Regardless, neither you nor I know where IU stands with any of those Juco kids...either the ones currently known about or others that we have not heard of being mentioned yet.
I guess we'll see soon enough. I've been pretty clear that I think expectations on AK need to be managed, based on a few in person observations, but I'm sure he'll get a chance to compete. He'll need to make dramatic improvement to be able to help them anytime soon. Should be interesting.

Think he also said that IU was just a dual-threat quarterback away from being unstoppable.

We were not last in the BIG in recruiting either of the last two years. You must be using the same research firm as Trump.

Reactions: IUArchie
You're not any better than when Lynch was there. You won a couple of close games this year, so you get to go bowling. bfd

If a horrible Southern Illinois team (3-8 in FCS) converts that 2 pt play at the end of the game, you're 5-7 and Wilson is probably on the unemployment line right now.

Your D is an embarrassment to all of football and the American Way. Saying that you are substantially better now than at any point in the post-Mallory era is the height of stupidity.

And Glen Mason was a pretty marginal football coach, and about 100 times worse as an announcer. Just awful.
OK, using your logic, if we had two plays go differently against OSU and UM, there's two more wins. So we would actually be 7-5. Brilliant!

Lynch was losing games 83-20.

The American Way? Been drinking? Troll better.

Here's something I looked up after reading the Tribune's big wet kiss to Northwestern after it beat Illinois to push record to 10-2. Yes, the Wildcats did beat Stanford and PSU (23-21) -- we didn't have Sudfeld or Howard for PSU. But here's what caught my eye: NU lost to Michigan 38-0 and Iowa 40-10. As I recall, we took Michigan to 2OT before losing; and lost to Iowa by 8. And Purdue? We roll up 56 points at West Lafayette. Northwestern at home beat PU 21-14. Yes, our defense needs to improve. But we score a ton of points. Playing in the East is killing us (and we admittedly hurt ourselves with incomprehensible loss to Rutgers).

Reactions: knothole gang
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT