ADVERTISEMENT

Public service announcement/question

Rockfish1

Hall of Famer
Sep 2, 2001
I hate to make anything about me here. If I'm right I'm right, and if I'm wrong I'm wrong, no matter who I am. Also, I just really like my privacy. But I have a personal story I've decided to tell, because . . . well, I don't know.

On Friday, August 22, I was at the office working when I noticed that my left arm was tingly and my left hand was clumsy. I assumed I'd been leaning awkwardly on my left elbow. While I shook my left arm I dialed a carry out order, but as I walked to pick up my lunch I realized that my left leg was lagging and making me clumsy. As I continued walking back to my office I realized that the left side of my face was numb and tingly, as though I'd been to a dentist.

I typed these symptoms into the internet, where WebMD told me to dial 911 because I was probably having a stroke. I didn't immediately do so, because I didn't feel sick. Apart from the odd but not compelling weakness on my left side, I felt fine. But since the internet told me that delay could be catastrophic, I dialed 911.

When the ambulance arrived, the EMS tech bizarrely discouraged me from going to the hospital. "I made the call, so I'm taking the ride," I said.

We went to Methodist Hospital, which was out of my network but the closest hospital. (To my surprise, every payor later agreed that this was the right call.) As it turns out, Methodist has the highest possible trauma ranking for strokes. Among other things, this means that stroke patients must begin receiving vital treatment within 30 minutes after they cross the threshold.

Let me stop here to explain why, if you're having a stroke or another emergency, you need to dial 911 and not just rely on someone to speed you to the hospital. By the time I arrived, all of my paperwork was essentially done, and there was a team of professionals already assembled and waiting for me. I wasn't admitted to Methodist so much as I was injected into Methodist.

If someone asked me to describe what happened next under oath and on the stand, I couldn't do it. All I could say is that, as soon as the folks in the ER concluded I'd likely had a stroke, my clothes came violently but politely off, monitors were attached, I was sprinted through hospital halls at high speed in a state of low dignity, high tech tests were conducted, and I was hooked up to IVs of lifesaving drugs while everyone did high fives (with me too) because it had all happened in less than 30 minutes.

Note: It turns out that if you don't get this sort of treatment within three hours you're screwed. If I'd listened to that asshole EMS tech, I'd now be permanently disabled.

While I was in the hospital, I temporarily lost all use of my left arm and leg. I didn't know at the time that it would be temporary. During that 90 minutes, though, I had plenty of time to think about my life, and about the nature of life itself, as well as the circumstances under which life would be desirable.

For anyone who's still reading, I'm fine, and I apologize for this maudlin post. I've made a lot of healthy changes since the Big Event, and I thought staying away from here ought to be among them. Obviously I've backslided on that. I guess my points are these:

(1) Don't f#ck around if you think you're having a stroke.

(2) What are we all doing here?

Jesus, dude.

Glad you did it the right way and things worked out. This place would be far less intelligent without you.

I've noticed my left arm being tingly a lot off and on the past year. It's often bothered me, but I've never thought enough about it to get anything checked out. I don't think strokes take months to come on, so I imagine that's not it, but you definitely have me wondering if the next time it happens I shouldn't call someone.

goat

regardless of whether you post here or not...

I'm glad you came out the other side of the event with the use of all your appendages and, I assume, your speech unimpaired. A cousin of a cousin of mine also just had a stroke. He will be getting speech therapy for a year. Strangely, he was able to go to a piano and knock out a piece by Beethoven that he hadn't p,aged in thirty years.

I hope you continue to recover.

Glad you got the medical treatment you needed. Priorities in life....good health!

I am sorry to hear that.

I hope you get well soon.

And thank you for posting your experience. I will keep in mind.

Just to emphasize

I'm completely recovered. Absolutely fine. I sincerely appreciate the well wishes, but all is well. I wouldn't have put up such dopey post otherwise.

For the record, I have no arterial disease anywhere except for a small segment of my right middle cerebral artery, My pipes are otherwise clean. I'm now taking meds and leading an extremely healthy life, because that's what can be done. But I'm fine. Really. As much as I appreciate it there's no reason for concern, and I should have been clearer about that in my initial post.

Oh no.....I am really

sorry to hear that and I think the advice you give is very good. One thing you mentioned is one of my biggest pet peeves of our health care system. When something like that happens the last thing you need to be concerned about is if the hospital is in your network.
Rock you take this place too seriously. I post here for entertainment and I do learn some stuff. I may not agree with you or someone else but it's not worth getting stressed out about.I think maybe what we see in you here is the lawyer in you where you gather as many "facts" as you can and present them to a bunch of us whereas we are more laid back like we were in a conversation. I'm not criticizing you here at all..just maybe explaining why you get stressed out.
Take care of yourself. Sometimes it take something like this to get us to change our lifestyle. It also makes you appreciate life more and put things in perspective. My older brother had a brain tumor and was given 18 months to live but he beat it and he has a whole different perspective on life.

Glad to hear you are doing well. In 1998 I had a heart attack that led

to quadruple bypass surgery. I had all of the classic symptoms and immediately called 911. I was on business and in a hotel at 5 in the morning when this happened, like you, everything has been fine since then but it does cause you to rethink a few things about your life and life style. Again, glad to hear all is well.

Some say that a stroke changes one's personality

Your comments about conservatives in general and me in particular are as disrespectful, ascerbic and disgusting as ever. So no changes to that part of your brain.

I'm glad you are okay.

First if all

I'm relieved to learn that you are okay and have completely recovered. My mom ignored her symptoms for several hours and it ended up costing her her peripheral vision. You were very wise to call 911 when you did.

Now, for that moron medic. Anyone with any kind of advanced medical training, and many who have had none, recognizes those as stroke symptoms. If you had taken his advice, you might be very dead, or at least severely incapacitated. On the other hand, you might have been on your way to a huge malpractice settlement. He is lucky that you didn't listen to him. He should have been fired and I hope you let someone in a position of authority know about this so he doesn't kill someone.

In all fairness, Indianapolis has a great team of medics and I see them save lives every single night. Like most civilian emergency employees in Marion County, they are grossly overworked and underpaid. The medics stationed at the firehouse next door (IFD Station 11 at Washington and State) to where I work are usually out all night. Considering the low pay and working conditions, Indianapolis is, in general, getting much better service than they pay for.

Glad to hear you are OK

It seems one of the biggest health items to overcome is "it can't happen to me". You overcame that and called for an ambulance, and that may well have saved you some permanent issues. Hopefully we (and in this case I certainly mean me) can learn this valuable lesson. It can happen to me.

Glad to hear that

Wow. That had to have been one hell of a ride.

I am a bit amazed that you could have a stroke and be absolutely fine just a few months later. Cudos to you for having the common sense not to listen to the EMT. I wonder if one of the reasons for the high fives at the hospital was because too often the person having the stroke does not get there in time and as a result they do not end up fully recovered like you.

Seriously, though, thanks for sharing your story. That's not always easy to do, but yours is an important story for all of us middle age (and up) folks around here.

Glad you are doing well.

And am I the only one to sense a bit irony in the fact that you have a little bit of blockage in part of your right middle cerebral artery?
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Thanks again.

Glad things went your way...

...had a case of Bell's Palsy from an ear infection that scared the crap out of my wife... she thought I was having a stroke... lost a little bit of my hearing after my eardrum burst... but other than that, I'm good to go... glad to hear you are doing well... good luck...

Glad you did it the right way and all is well.

We're about the same age and I've been lucky that I've had no health issues at all, except sleep apnea. However, I know my luck won't hold out forever. We all get older and we all develop some health issues. We can only hope our issues will be minor or that they turn out OK in the end as yours seems to have..

Best of luck..

It is good to see you got proper medical treatment when needed despite the EMS tech. Take care.

Had we learned that you had been disabled..,

my reaction would have been sadness. Whether or not mutual respect is part of the calculus here, I would have hated to see you struck down at this point in your life. I will mention you in my daily prayer.

There will be no charge for the mention.

I hope you laugh out loud.

Best wishes for a full recovery.

Wow, glad it turned out well, and...

...you made the right call by sharing this with us. Your story may save one of us from hesitating to take action given a similar event.

exactly; in fact, Rock deserves a big thanks and pat on the back

from all of us here.

Now, it's time for me to finally get that colonoscopy I've been putting off since hitting 50 last year. (But, in my defense, I did get a flu shot this year.)

Glad you are o.k., and nice work looking out for yourelf! Best of luck.*

l

Good news about you being OK.

Thanks for sharing...Take care.

Trying to defend Obama has ruined your health. :)

Thank God you moved quickly.

And I'd probably follow back up with that EMT (or, better yet, his employer) to let him know that he damn near cost you a lot of quality of life, if not your life itself. That's awful.

My dad suffered a series of strokes -- first a couple TIAs (that he summarily ignored) and then a CVA that registered an 8.0 on the cerebrovascular Richter scale. He actually survived the big one. But his quality of life for the years he lived after it was progressively atrocious.

In the course of this, we all learned that stroke is one of those things where mere minutes can make an extraordinary amount of difference in outcome.

Damn, the world was almost one less liberal closer to being

a conservative utopia. DWS. Glad you came through this.

When The Death Panels Start Rationing Stroke Meds

I'm glad you won't need them.

I'm convinced statin drugs are saving us all from the heart attacks to which we are genetically entitled so we can have strokes and dementia we used to avoid through death.

Glad you're OK.

But don't look at the bills.
THAT will piss you off.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

One night after a Juvenile Justice 3 day meeting with political apointees,

my blood preasure went to 190 over 144. Thankfuly my wife is a nurse. After many tests and a strees test which I blew away, my cardioligoist asked," what do you do for a living". It only took me one year to turn in my Blackberry and drop the stress. I am sure you take owenership of everthing you do. Watch reduce the stress. Glad you are well and thanks for sharing. Moving forward on this site I am sure we will always wonder if our family of posters died or just got pissed off and left. PS your MIT guy is a real prize.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT