ADVERTISEMENT

Primetime Spring game

Quite a difference from the TA era.
Just curious why was this a bad thing? In essence you basically had new coordinators almost every spring. You had a coach in the league that you know was sending people to scout even though it was illegal. You run a lot of different things that maybe you didn't want people to see. You probably were not going to drum up any more interest in the program. As for not naming a quarterback I also don't see an issue in that. What I would agree is that if you continued to split reps equally then that would be dumb. We don't if that was the case though. What you have now is a coach that thrives on attention and another that did not seek attention. There is not a problem with either method in my eyes. Just my opinion.

I wonder if Cig will run everything under a cloud of secrecy like the head cheerleader did??
I know coach would tell the QB room the decision in the days or maybe weeks prior to the opener, but he always waited to pick and most assume it was just for game strategy. I was always under the impression he did that because he was afraid of losing a player to the portal. Announcing the starter in the spring would result in more time before the season to allow a player to transfer. If they don't know where they stand until the weeks leading up, thinking it's truly a competition still, then they're more likely to ride out the season. That is just my opinion but purely a guess.

Just curious why was this a bad thing? In essence you basically had new coordinators almost every spring. You had a coach in the league that you know was sending people to scout even though it was illegal. You run a lot of different things that maybe you didn't want people to see. You probably were not going to drum up any more interest in the program. As for not naming a quarterback I also don't see an issue in that. What I would agree is that if you continued to split reps equally then that would be dumb. We don't if that was the case though. What you have now is a coach that thrives on attention and another that did not seek attention. There is not a problem with either method in my eyes. Just my opinion.
I think it's more annoyance than anything. If he won with that strategy or even ended up picking the right QB each year, maybe opinions would've been different. But he seemingly always chose the wrong player and if the lack of a spring game was giving IU any advantage, then I would hate to see where we were if we played on a level advantage. vbg

I know coach would tell the QB room the decision in the days or maybe weeks prior to the opener, but he always waited to pick and most assume it was just for game strategy. I was always under the impression he did that because he was afraid of losing a player to the portal. Announcing the starter in the spring would result in more time before the season to allow a player to transfer. If they don't know where they stand until the weeks leading up, thinking it's truly a competition still, then they're more likely to ride out the season. That is just my opinion but purely a guess.
It's a spring game. You need two starting quarterbacks. Actually you need 44 starters not including special team players. You don't blitz the quarterback. You don't even tackle the quarterback. You stay completely away from plays that by design have a higher risk of injury.

Maybe they can still have hamburgers and hot dogs. And maybe if the coach is not wandering around during warm ups screaming into a megaphone like a madman they might get an idea who the self-starters are.

Last edited:
Reactions: DANC

I don't have a problem with not announcing the QB. I think the issue last year was not even deciding on a QB til 1/3 of the way through the season and then realizing you made a mistake and going with the other QB 2/3 through the season.

I think CCC2.0 is using the media and spring game to drum up interest. Who knows how much of his gameplan he will actually show during the spring game or if it will even give us a hint at who will be the starting QB (we all assume Rourke anyway). It could just be vanilla plays and a festive atmosphere to try to help put butts in the seats for the fall.

It's a spring game. You need to starting quarterbacks. Actually you need 44 starters not including special team players. You don't blitz the quarterback. You don't even tackle the quarterback. You stay completely away from plays that by design have a higher risk of injury.

Maybe they can still have hamburgers and hot dogs. And maybe if the coach is not wandering around during warm ups screaming into a megaphone like a madman they might get an idea who the self-starters are.
ha Why did you quote me and ramble on about whatever that was? I don't understand the correlation to what I said.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Drum up some interest in football. You don't need to run elaborate plays, just run some generic stuff that almost everybody and let the fans get excited to at least see something. TA was so interested in being super secretive he didn't care about that.

I don't have a problem with not announcing the QB. I think the issue last year was not even deciding on a QB til 1/3 of the way through the season and then realizing you made a mistake and going with the other QB 2/3 through the season.

I think CCC2.0 is using the media and spring game to drum up interest. Who knows how much of his gameplan he will actually show during the spring game or if it will even give us a hint at who will be the starting QB (we all assume Rourke anyway). It could just be vanilla plays and a festive atmosphere to try to help put butts in the seats for the fall.
DITTO. Run 16-20 basic offensive plays. Make 3 of those snaps failed passes thrown short into the turf so opponents learn zero about potential but invest enough festivities so fans attending see it for what it is and enjoy their time in Bloomington. Big IUFB pep rally.

I wonder if it will be televised and we chose that date because it was the best we can get to still be on BTN.

If not, I would have thought friday or saturday would draw more of a crowd.

I think you're right.... It really makes the most sense.... The B1G Network needs CHEAP live or recorded programming in the spring with the POTENTIAL to generate a larger audience than a rerun of a women's rugby match in Prime Time..... and with a spring practice game there aren't the same financial considerations that a they have with a regular season game.. fewer cameras....

Plus,... I wouldn't be surprised if CCig thought that not having a spring game and not taking the opportunity of having the B1G Net cover it was costing IU ... and if that's his thinking, I think he's right.

IU football should NEVER let the opportunity to get exposure, good or bad, be turned down....

Cig gets it... he get's it all... he sees the bigger picture that wasn't being seen the last few years.

Last edited:
Awesome! Coach Cig isn't hiding the team from the fans because he wants us to see them and get excited for the first game. TA didn't want anyone to see his team.

The bad part is my daughter is due to have our grandbaby that day and will likely be induced. It will be a last minute trip at best. Me: How you feeling?
Daughter: No baby yet!
Me: I'm going to Btown. Don't have the baby until I get back!

Awesome! Coach Cig isn't hiding the team from the fans because he wants us to see them and get excited for the first game. TA didn't want anyone to see his team.

The bad part is my daughter is due to have our grandbaby that day and will likely be induced. It will be a last minute trip at best. Me: How you feeling?
Daughter: No baby yet!
Me: I'm going to Btown. Don't have the baby until I get back!
If she does, you can take them along!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT