ADVERTISEMENT

Pre-Bracket Season Statistical Profiles

Paterfamilias

All-Big Ten
Dec 3, 2010
I don't know how interesting some will find this, but I do this every year to prep for a bit of tournament betting. I think I've noticed something pretty interesting relative to IU, so I thought I would share it here. I'm basically an X and O moron who picks up very little watching games, so I have to make up for my stupidity in one area by really digging into the statistics. So, I'm interested in what the X and O folks think about what I'm presenting here.

Speaking of trade offs, teams that have a primary defensive focus of turnover creation and general chaos for their opponents offense will typically have to sacrifice a bit in two areas in particular. These types of teams will often foul too much and have defensive rebounding woes. Often they will mitigate those issues by crashing the offensive glass and employ an offensive style that draws a lot of fouls. In other words, they concern themselves more with rebounding and free throw differential.

With that groundwork out of the way, here's a color coded chart of the prospective NCAA Tournament teams who excel at turnover creation. In the chart Green is Good and Red is Bad.

The first thing to notice is that Free Throw Differential is the hardest thing for these teams to overcome. At first glance the Defensive Rebounding Rate might not even look all that bad, but just compare it to the second chart and you'll see that there is certainly a price to be paid on the defensive glass. One last thing before I let you just look at the charts, I used Bart Torvik's site so I could eliminate games vs Quad 3 and Quad 4 opponents.

aggressive.png

Conservative.png

I have IU highlighted because it appears to me that IU is trying to be a team that belongs in the first chart, but just can't produce the turnovers. They are certainly paying the price in fouls and defensive rebounding that fits the profile of the top chart. Also, IU's most important victories have been the sweeps of Illinois and Purdue, both teams with freshman point guards.

In 7 of IU's 10 losses, the opponent has had either it's best offensive day of the year or damn near it. I like the philosophy of an aggressive defense as that is the style that has been most productive in deep tournament runs the past 7 or 8 years, but without X this team is incapable of playing this style well against the type of perimeter play that is headed our way. We blame effort as fans and say "flush that one", but I don't think they have enough effort in them to play this style of defense without a healthy X against what is looming.

In 7 of IU's 10 losses, the opponent has had either it's best offensive day of the year or damn near it. I like the philosophy of an aggressive defense as that is the style that has been most productive in deep tournament runs the past 7 or 8 years, but without X this team is incapable of playing this style well against the type of perimeter play that is headed our way. We blame effort as fans and say "flush that one", but I don't think they have enough effort in them to play this style of defense without a healthy X against what is looming.
Thank you for doing this. I wouldn't have had the time, effort, nor energy, let alone even known how to approach this, to show how instrumental Xavier Johnson is to this basketball team. Those that think IU is better off without Xavier Johnson (cough @bsmitty08 cough) need their heads examined. Offensively, IU has the weapons to replace Xavier Johnson, but there is not a single piece on this roster who can replicate XJ's defensive capabilities out on the perimeter. A deep tournament run more than likely is going to be predicated on X's return and playing somewhat as close to 100% as possible.

Thank you for doing this. I wouldn't have had the time, effort, nor energy, let alone even known how to approach this, to show how instrumental Xavier Johnson is to this basketball team. Those that think IU is better off without Xavier Johnson (cough @bsmitty08 cough) need their heads examined. Offensively, IU has the weapons to replace Xavier Johnson, but there is not a single piece on this roster who can replicate XJ's defensive capabilities out on the perimeter. A deep tournament run more than likely is going to be predicated on X's return and playing somewhat as close to 100% as possible.
Does his offensive brain farts and carelessness take away from the defense? He drove me absolutely crazy last year.

Does his offensive brain farts and carelessness take away from the defense? He drove me absolutely crazy last year.
We don't make the tournament last year without Xavier's offensive production down the stretch. Anything else?

Reactions: 5 to 0
I think that X would be a boon for our efforts in trying to play this style, but I have my doubts that the current make up of the roster is a good fit for the identity that Woodson and crew are trying to establish. It's my guess that Woodson decided that this was going to be our identity going forward and he is willing to stomach the growing pains.

It kinda sucks for TJD, because I still think that maybe this particular group would have been more successful playing a different style, but then you make it difficult to recruit the type of players suited to the style that you want to transition to. Plus you are delaying making it a part of the team DNA/Culture.

Mostly though, I'm just guessing while I try to accept some of the abysmal defense that I've had to watch this season.

Reactions: Spartans9312
Seems to me likr a fantasy that XJ can come back now and be close to 100%. So question is, is XJ at less than 100% still good enough defensively to sacrifice the possible redshirt scenario?

With a foot injury, defensive quickness and mobility seems to me like the last thing he will recover.

But of course I have no inside info nor have seen what he's doing in practice (if he is practicing).

I think that X would be a boon for our efforts in trying to play this style, but I have my doubts that the current make up of the roster is a good fit for the identity that Woodson and crew are trying to establish. It's my guess that Woodson decided that this was going to be our identity going forward and he is willing to stomach the growing pains.

It kinda sucks for TJD, because I still think that maybe this particular group would have been more successful playing a different style, but then you make it difficult to recruit the type of players suited to the style that you want to transition to. Plus you are delaying making it a part of the team DNA/Culture.

Mostly though, I'm just guessing while I try to accept some of the abysmal defense that I've had to watch this season.
I still think IU could have been a very good offensive team with Xavier and JHS sharing the court. But to do this, you would have had to have taken Race out of the lineup and moved Geronimo or Kopp to the 4 and gone small. Two guards with good handle and a big like TJD that can sprint and rim run with a deadeyes like Galloway and Kopp filling in transition would have allowed for a dynamic offense.

We don't make the tournament last year without Xavier's offensive production down the stretch. Anything else?
We were not very good last year and very bad on offense. Most of those issues could be pointed to his play. Yes he had some good scoring nights but were we a good offensive team those games?

Seems to me likr a fantasy that XJ can come back now and be close to 100%. So question is, is XJ at less than 100% still good enough defensively to sacrifice the possible redshirt scenario?

With a foot injury, defensive quickness and mobility seems to me like the last thing he will recover.

But of course I have no inside info nor have seen what he's doing in practice (if he is practicing).
Xavier Johnson at 75% is a better option off the bench than Bates. We need a 2nd ball handler, period.

The redshirt scenario is an idea. I have a hard time believing that Xavier Johnson is willing to sacrifice an NCAAT appearance to come back to college, again, for a 6th year.

Reactions: BigMobe and ams66
We were not very good last year and very bad on offense. Most of those issues could be pointed to his play. Yes he had some good scoring nights but were we a good offensive team those games?
Kopp and Stewart as off-ball guards was probably the worst combination in all of P5. That was why the offense struggled, two flat-footed guards uncapable of creating their own shot.

Reactions: bkiefer7
I still think IU could have been a very good offensive team with Xavier and JHS sharing the court. But to do this, you would have had to have taken Race out of the lineup and moved Geronimo or Kopp to the 4 and gone small. Two guards with good handle and a big like TJD that can sprint and rim run with a deadeyes like Galloway and Kopp filling in transition would have allowed for a dynamic offense.
I thought about this. One more shooter on the floor. Creat some extra space. Too bad JG is as inconsistent as race shooting it.

This I agree with but we still stand around in the half court.
We were much better offensively this year with XJ and JHS on the court than at any point last year with Stewart and Kopp. Night and day. Our defensive metrics went into the shitter the second XJ went out. That isn't by coincidence.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
hopefully I'm reading that data correctly....what strikes me the most is how our brand (IU), or style, of basketball has changed over the years. At one time, due to the RMK motion O, we put up some really crazy FT volume numbers over many years. But now, we shoot less than our opponents. And even though we've vastly improved our 3pt shooting % as a team this year, we don't shoot them at a high volume.

hopefully I'm reading that data correctly....what strikes me the most is how our brand (IU), or style, of basketball has changed over the years. At one time, due to the RMK motion O, we put up some really crazy FT volume numbers over many years. But now, we shoot less than our opponents. And even though we've vastly improved our 3pt shooting % as a team this year, we don't shoot them at a high volume.
With regard to the 3 point attempt rate, I've really appreciated this teams shot discipline. The rate would be higher if we could get into transition more. Once again, I think its a function of the low defensive turnover rate and poor defensive rebounding numbers. I think that a healthy X all season would have made a huge difference in all of these categories. Hopefully, we'll get to see if my guess is right. If he can go and have a defensive impact, his fresh legs might cause some problems for our upcoming opponents.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT