ADVERTISEMENT

Pray for Hawaii - the scenes are apocalyptic

Noodle

Hall of Famer
Jun 19, 2001
Lahaina town (Maui) may be almost entirely destroyed by fire. While it's been a while since I was last there, it was a really unique spot in Hawaii. A very historic downtown, with lots of shops, restaurants, etc. Apparently fires are spreading on other parts of Maui, and on the Big Island.

I just got back from Oahu and the Big Island. Parts of the Big Island at lower elevations did look extremely dry, though there are higher altitude microclimates with frequent light rain.

I’m with my friend in Denver who has had a place in Front Street in Lahaina for 30 years. It’s hard getting information.

Lahaina town (Maui) may be almost entirely destroyed by fire. While it's been a while since I was last there, it was a really unique spot in Hawaii. A very historic downtown, with lots of shops, restaurants, etc. Apparently fires are spreading on other parts of Maui, and on the Big Island.

Jesus, was just there in March, what a shame…

Reactions: mcmurtry66
I just got back from Oahu and the Big Island. Parts of the Big Island at lower elevations did look extremely dry, though there are higher altitude microclimates with frequent light rain.
Parts of the Big Island are always very dry. In fact, one area is even referred to as a desert. The lava fields along the highway are also extremely hot and dry, as are some of the towns. But there are also areas on the Big Island that get a ton of rain, such as Hilo.

A year and a half ago, what should have been an ordinary brush fire erupted between Denver and Boulder and wiped out a thousand homes. The fire was pushed by 60+ MPH winds. People had little or no warning as thousands of burning embers rained down on subdivisions.. the cause? A suspected downed power line— because of wind.

As we develop housing in the brush, we build power lines, and we know the wind will blow, hard.

I know of a couple people who lost everything. These fires are truly life changing events, and they move from a spark to a conflagration in moments.

I have fond memories of Lahaihna. I really feel sorry for all of those who have lost everything.

Last edited:
Parts of the Big Island are always very dry. In fact, one area is even referred to as a desert. The lava fields along the highway are also extremely hot and dry, as are some of the towns. But there are also areas on the Big Island that get a ton of rain, such as Hilo.
West of Hilo is where it was dry last week, and that is very sparsely populated- no exits for 50+ miles on Highway 200. The more populated areas on the west side of the Big island, like Kona, were not so bad. But the hot dry 40 mph winds can dry things out fast. South and East (Hilo down to Volcano National Park on Highway 11) were lush and green. Frogs croaked all night long. Beautiful place. I loved the quiet serenity relative to bustling Oahu.

I was just on the big island a month ago. A tour guide there said something along the lines of "There are 12 different kinds of terrain on this planet, ranging from lush jungles, to high plains, to rolling foothills, to snow covered mountains to dry rock deserts. The Big Island has 9 of them."
I've been trying to figure out the three missing ones. The only one I can solidly figure is "tundra". Maybe "swamp".

Reactions: outside shooter
I’m with my friend in Denver who has had a place in Front Street in Lahaina for 30 years. It’s hard getting information.
You are here with fantastic weather. Take a brief road trip to Bruce’s Bar for some oysters. You’ll love ‘em.

Reactions: zeke4ahs
A year and a half ago, what should have been an ordinary brush fire erupted between Denver and Boulder and wiped out a thousand homes. The fire was pushed by 60+ MPH winds. People had little or no warning as thousands of burning embers rained down on subdivisions.. the cause? A suspected downed power line— because of wind.

As we develop housing in the brush, we build power lines, and we know the wind will blow, hard.

I know of a couple people who lost everything. These fires are truly life changing events, and they move from a spark to a conflagration in moments.

I have fond memories of Lahaihna. I really feel sorry for all of those who have lost everything.
As we work on our "Grid", why we are not moving power lines underground, I may never understand. It's not like we are digging ditches anymore, for the most part.

I was just on the big island a month ago. A tour guide there said something along the lines of "There are 12 different kinds of terrain on this planet, ranging from lush jungles, to high plains, to rolling foothills, to snow covered mountains to dry rock deserts. The Big Island has 9 of them."
I've been trying to figure out the three missing ones. The only one I can solidly figure is "tundra". Maybe "swamp".
Pine forest and tropical rainforest?

As we work on our "Grid", why we are not moving power lines underground, I may never understand. It's not like we are digging ditches anymore, for the most part.
Underground power lines are 10x (or more) the cost of overhead and carry less current.

Low voltage distribution lines are easier to bury than high voltage transmission lines.

The eastern side of the Big Island, specifically along the Hāmākua Coast, has tropical rainforests.
I believe that, but the attempt was to name terrains the Hawaiian Islands doesn’t have (SweakyClean’s comment) and “lush jungle” being already listed with the “haves” would be the same as tropical rainforest. Do you not agree?

I believe that, but the attempt was to name terrains the Hawaiian Islands doesn’t have and “lush jungle” being already listed with the “haves” would be the same as tropical rainforest. Do you not agree?
Ahhh... I misunderstood. I thought you were trying to name the ones Hawaii has

Ahhh... I misunderstood. I thought you were trying to name the ones Hawaii has
Don’t feel remorseful, other people did, too. That said, I read a few other things on the web and one article said 16 terrain types, another claimed 18. Plus, it’s easy to confuse terrain types with types of habitats. I was going to say “deciduous forest” they lack, but that is habitat, I suppose.

There was a point where I was driving from Kona to Hilo and I looked out the window to see rolling hills and a cattle farm with some coniferous trees. If I hadn't known better, it wouldn't be a stretch to say that it looked like a back road in Indiana.

Reactions: Noodle
Pine forest and tropical rainforest?
There's tropical rainforest on the big island. I would guess no tundra, no true grassland swamps, and (while Mauna Loa has snowcaps) I'm not sure that it has any glaciers.

There's tropical rainforest on the big island. I would guess no tundra, no true grassland swamps, and (while Mauna Loa has snowcaps) I'm not sure that it has any glaciers.
There are no glaciers within the Hawaiian Island chain. Tectonic plate movement, Milankovitch cycles, asteroid impacts and other forces will someday change that tropical paradise.

Not to veer too far off topic, but I've never understood why burying power lines isn't more of a thing. I full admit that I know very little about why they would/wouldn't do that...it just seems to me that it might be safer and better aesthetically. My guess is that it's easier to repair replace power lines above ground and digging them up periodically might be cost prohibitive for some municipalities, but like I said, I really don't know.

In south Florida the main issue is the water table. Dig down 3 feet and you get wet dirt. That's why we can't have basements.

You'd for sure love to bury all electric lines in a hurricane impact area. But the cost of waterproof encasement of electric lines makes it somewhere around 10x more expensive to bury lines rather than to have them above ground on poles. So... if you expect to have to replace the above-ground lines every 10 years due to storms instead of just every 30 years due to their normal life expectancy, you are ahead monetarily with above ground lines. Fire risks, though, pose another consideration. We haven't been prone to lots of fires, historically, but you never know any more.

Phone and fiber optic can be buried without so much extra cost.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT