ADVERTISEMENT

Perhaps the worst

It was 2% ball and 98% hands and arm. Every time. I don't care if the kid averages 20 steals a game, watch the ball--lucky to survive that.
It used to be the hand was part of the ball but now it seems the wrist are as well. And when I played half of these charge calls were blocks. The defender is supposed to be set with both feet on the floor. No sliding sideways. This call frustrates me.

It used to be the hand was part of the ball but now it seems the wrist are as well. And when I played half of these charge calls were blocks. The defender is supposed to be set with both feet on the floor. No sliding sideways. This call frustrates me.
I think that block charge call is a tough one to make when it is close.I think I read it was a point of emphasis this year and the definition changed to help refs decide. Anyone else remember that?

I think that block charge call is a tough one to make when it is close.I think I read it was a point of emphasis this year and the definition changed to help refs decide. Anyone else remember that?
No don't remember that, but it's recent uptick certainly has nothing to do with players being quicker today. Almost every team I watch, save for Houston, looks slow, way slower and way less athletic than what I recall from say 20 years ago.

No don't remember that, but it's recent uptick certainly has nothing to do with players being quicker today. Almost every team I watch, save for Houston, looks slow, way slower and way less athletic than what I recall from say 20 years ago.
I think part of that is the offense most teams run today. Go to youtube and watch IU in the 80s to early 90s (Alford or Cheaney in the motion offense). The RMK motion offense was a thing of beauty and all 5 players were moving, all the time. High screens, screen away from the ball in the post, running the baseline vs a zone, it was motion, motion, motion. Way too much standing in place now. Throw in the occassional Izzo 3 man weave up top...at least that looks like motion, even if it's wasted motion....at least they're moving.

Interesting observation. I would have guessed the opposite. Better training techniques, nutrition, video feedback, etc - I would have guessed quicker now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT