ADVERTISEMENT

Okay, this seems unacceptable to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not unusual. It's a civilian position. Professional military isn't supposed to hold the position. Congress has to make a special vote just to allow it.
Yeah it raised a question in my head so I went and looked. Cheney and William Cohen never served either. Others haven’t served but were involved in the CIA/ NSA.

It strikes me as odd that you wouldn’t put someone with a long military career in that post but whatever.

That’s what you get when the Secretary of War turns into some ambiguous, wide ranging position.

Yeah it raised a question in my head so I went and looked. Cheney and William Cohen never served either. Others haven’t served but were involved in the CIA/ NSA.

It strikes me as odd that you wouldn’t put someone with a long military career in that post but whatever.

That’s what you get when the Secretary of War turns into some ambiguous, wide ranging position.
Like all appointees in this Administration, she checks a box. It's a shame she's not gay.

Like all appointees in this Administration, she checks a box. It's a shame she's not gay.
Her being a woman doesn’t bother me as much as career bureaucrats deciding whether we should send our son’s to die.

I understand civilian control and all that. But ultimately the president is in charge of the military. You would think if that president does decide to go to war you would want someone who understands war more than theoretically calling the shots.

But we don’t go to war anymore, at least not technically.

Her being a woman doesn’t bother me as much as career bureaucrats deciding whether we should send our son’s to die.

I understand civilian control and all that. But ultimately the president is in charge of the military. You would think if that president does decide to go to war you would want someone who understands war more than theoretically calling the shots.

But we don’t go to war anymore, at least not technically.
The fact she's a woman doesn't bother me, either. I'd be just as disgusted if it was a guy with her resume.

It reflects the importance our culture has traditionally placed on civilian control of the military. The closer one is to the top of the strategic decision-making machine, the less comfortable we are with a professional military resume.

Imagine a world full of female (biological, of course) secretaries of defense. Would be reverse Rambo — we’d need so many fewer body bags.
Except for 5 days a month, when they would all cycle up and nuke the shit out of each other.

Last edited:
Imagine a world full of female (biological, of course) secretaries of defense. Would be reverse Rambo — we’d need so many fewer body bags.
We had a female Secretary of State that got her diplomat killed after being anally raped and 4 Americans killed who were defending the compound.

Pretty sure we'd need more body bags.

• Haha
Reactions: zeke4ahs
We had a female Secretary of State that got her diplomat killed after being anally raped and 4 Americans killed who were defending the compound.

Pretty sure we'd need more body bags.

Jesus man, where’d that come from? Hillary was a disaster but put the nunchucks down long enough to admit women generally tend to be more peaceful. Or maybe we’ve had different experiences…

God you’re a moron.
I JK. The female SecDef’s would all get along really well. They’d hold all sorts of summits where all they would do is heap praise each other.

Then they’d go home and talk shit about the other SecDef’s behind their backs.

• Haha
Reactions: snarlcakes
I JK. The female SecDef’s would all get along really well. They’d hold all sorts of summits where all they would do is heaped praise each other.

God you’re a moron

I JK. The female SecDef’s would all get along really well. They’d hold all sorts of summits where all they would do is heap praise each other.

Your next username should be Aaron Rodgers.

• Haha
Reactions: larsIU and DANC
It says that someone was remiss for not telling him. Or is he expected to have ESP too?
A President doesn't know when one of his Cabinet members is in the hospital?

I don't think it takes Kreskin to notice someone you depend on to help the country in the middle of a ****ing war in the Mideast is missing.

Is there nothing Biden is responsible for, in your mind?

Reactions: DANC
You like making jokes that push or cross over the line that few people take to be jokes.

And now you've ruined my joke by making me explain it. Jackass.
“The line”, Huh.

You talk about it like it’s a goal line on a football field.

In my experience “the line” is different for different people. My line is different from UncleMarks, HappyGoats, Cavanagh’s and Blooms. Clearly.

But probably more restrictive than others. If this board wants to have “a line” they can post rules at the top of the board and I’ll gladly leave if I see them as cumbersome to me expressing myself.

• Love
Reactions: DANC
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT