ADVERTISEMENT

Observations

The Defense in the second half was top 10 D kinda stuff. Man when Mack gets down and actually guards?? Holy shit he is good at D. X might be the best defensive player in the B1G if they allow him to be physical, which the Big ten has been known to let happen. Malik is quicker on his feet, he is gonna be much better and stay out of foul trouble. Ware is 7'1.... We have huge effort players that are going to get minutes from their effort/D (Gallo Cupps Sparks Walker).
If this stays consistent, we'll be better than last year, I predict. Woody talked a lot about transition offense in a recent interview, I think we need to get stops and get out in transition a lot this year, to maximize this group. Kind of play like Kansas and Michigan State normally do.

Ware was a big presence on the defensive end. Hopefully he will settle down offensively. MM will be a huge weapon this year. Will take him a few games to figure out what works and what doesn't at this level. Didn't notice Gunn. A non factor. Galloway is still a liability on this offensive end. Walker played well and has a big motor. Overall, a sloppy first game but that's to be expected. This team may not win the Big 10 but I like them. Look for them to make a run during the 2nd half of the season.
There's enough personnel to sit Ware if the light doesn't turn on and honestly I'm ok with that. I like Walker's versatility and a front court of MM, Walker, and Sparks/Reneau doesn't bother me. Gunn came in and immediately sparked some offense scoring 7 1H points in a 3-4 minute stretch but didn't do much after that. He moved a lot better without the ball in my opinion which has always been a concern of mine and was active on D.

Last edited:
Reactions: kkott
The Defense in the second half was top 10 D kinda stuff. Man when Mack gets down and actually guards?? Holy shit he is good at D. X might be the best defensive player in the B1G if they allow him to be physical, which the Big ten has been known to let happen. Malik is quicker on his feet, he is gonna be much better and stay out of foul trouble. Ware is 7'1.... We have huge effort players that are going to get minutes from their effort/D (Gallo Cupps Sparks Walker).
I thought Walker was just really good all the way around. We discussed a 2nd platoon approach and on paper it would seem to me that Ware/Reanu and Sparks/Walker are the more complimentary posts because it gives you one true low post defender (Reanu and Sparks) and one who's maybe more comfortable guarding out on the floor (Ware and Walker), but I thought we just looked better with Ware and Walker playing together. Reanu had an OK game stat wise 12/6, but looked a bit slow and lost I thought. If that is a problem, or with fouls, won't surprise me to see him try Walker in the starting lineup. Walker, Gunn and Cupps to me were the most pleasant surprises.

There's enough personnel to sit Ware if the light doesn't turn on and honestly I'm ok with that. I like Walker's versatility and a front court of MM, Walker, and Sparks/Reneau doesn't bother me. Gunn came in and immediately sparked some offense scoring 7 1H points in a 3-4 minute stretch but didn't do much after that. He moved a lot better with the ball in my opinion which has always been a concern of mine and was active on D.
I thought Gunn was really good. The only thing I'd ding him for was FTs. The 3 pt shooting is either gonna come or not, but what I've been saying is I see a player who can contribute in a lot of other ways and I thought he showed that Sunday where he didn't as much last year. He can be much more than a 3&D guy, and in fact, he's never shown the 3 part of 3 and D.

Reactions: CriticArisen
I thought Gunn was really good. The only thing I'd ding him for was FTs. The 3 pt shooting is either gonna come or not, but what I've been saying is I see a player who can contribute in a lot of other ways and I thought he showed that Sunday where he didn't as much last year. He can be much more than a 3&D guy, and in fact, he's never shown the 3 part of 3 and D.
He's definitely a player who thrives on confidence. I still think we're a year away from seeing him consistently contribute night in and night out but he can definitely fill it up in a hurry if he gets going, especially if the first couple go down.

He's definitely a player who thrives on confidence. I still think we're a year away from seeing him consistently contribute night in and night out but he can definitely fill it up in a hurry if he gets going, especially if the first couple go down.
I like our depth, and while not something I would expect every game, I'd be intrigued to see a second group of Sparks, Walker, Banks, Cupps and Gunn get to play together. Wonder if they've been scrimmaging that way?

French Fries and victim blaming
Did you say "French Fries"?
Screen-Shot-2022-08-13-at-4.30.00-PM.png

This was the first exhibition game. Woodson teaches defense well before he has the team work on offense. What you saw in that game has no bearing on what you will see during season - especially offensively.
This is year 3....

Year 1: 17 per game---321st in the nation

Year 2: 15 per game---352nd in the nation

FTR, there are 358 D1 teams.

harrison-ford-indiana-jones.gif

Reactions: dbmhoosier
All aboard!

I've seen multiple post across multiple boards about CJ and not hitting trey's. I anyone watched the pregame shoot around, like I did. The kid almost never missed. It was automatic.

Now, once that works it's way into the game..... wow. (and yes it was that impressive).

I've seen multiple post across multiple boards about CJ and not hitting trey's. I anyone watched the pregame shoot around, like I did. The kid almost never missed. It was automatic.

Now, once that works it's way into the game..... wow. (and yes it was that impressive).
Hope so.
But his horn beating 3pt shot at the end of the 1st half was pretty revealing. Pressure was on and it was a weak effort. I do like the rest of his game.

shoot arounds and practice don't necessarily translate. A great shooter is going to shoot unbelievably in practice, but there are plenty of great practice shooters who aren't good game shooters. I think the less CJ hears about being a good 3 pt shooter and just focuses on being the best bball player he can be, will do better for him. I hope he continues to take good, open 3 pt looks that he's confident in, but something's obviously in his head at this point. Just like FT shooting for our recent teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT