ADVERTISEMENT

Nuclear Power

snarlcakes

All-American
Sep 9, 2009

I admittedly know next to nothing, but I can’t come up with a reason why we don’t have more nuclear reactors being built if Climate Change is a major threat; besides our government sucks or it’s not a major issue. Please someone make it make sense? It seems like a no brainer that we should be building more.

Last edited:

I admittedly know next to nothing, but I can’t come up with a reason why we don’t have more nuclear reactors being built if Climate Change is a major threat; besides our government is sucks or it’s not a major issue. Please someone make it make sense? It seems like a no brainer that we should be building more.
We definitely should be building more. Every USN carrier and submarine has nuclear power, it’s safe and it’s clean. Let’s go with proven technology now.

I admittedly know next to nothing, but I can’t come up with a reason why we don’t have more nuclear reactors being built if Climate Change is a major threat; besides our government sucks or it’s not a major issue. Please someone make it make sense? It seems like a no brainer that we should be building more.
Liberal environmentalists shut down nuke power.

The same reason we have a thread about whether or not to get rid of Islam, and why people are scared to fly: humans are notoriously bad at quantifying risks.

Nuclear energy is clean and safe. We should have phased out fossil fuels in favor of nukes decades ago.

humans are notoriously bad at quantifying risks.
That is so true. I've read so many articles about how people will worry about X and not worry about Y when Y is a lot more likely to happen. Your comment about flying is a good example. I have known people that are afraid to fly and will NOT fly and no matter how many stats you point to that shows flying is safer than driving they still won't fly. For some reason they they think they are in complete control when driving.

That is so true. I've read so many articles about how people will worry about X and not worry about Y when Y is a lot more likely to happen. Your comment about flying is a good example. I have known people that are afraid to fly and will NOT fly and no matter how many stats you point to that shows flying is safer than driving they still won't fly. For some reason they they think they are in complete control when driving.
If I never fly again it will be too soon.

I am in control when I drive. And, granted that while some potholes are deep, I’ve never had breathing masks deploy when I’ve hit one.

Sedate the hell out of me if I can’t drive, due to distance, and I have to fly. Still negotiating driving to Boston, rather than flying, for a graduation.

I am in control when I drive. And, granted that while some potholes are deep, I’ve never had breathing masks deploy when I’ve hit one.

Sedate the hell out of me if I can’t drive, due to distance, and I have to fly. Still negotiating driving to Boston, rather than flying, for a graduation.
But you are NOT in control of what other people do and there's the problem. We went to ND last year and we almost got hit 4 times and none were my fault. Every time it was someone not paying attention to what they were doing.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier

Ha! Fly. Just have a cocktail. It’s worth it. And believe me I feel the same about flying. I’ll never forget the first time I flew a budget airline to so fla out of Belleville. I read about it the night before and got myself spooked. But the next morning I felt better

Got in the airport and the gates were massive. Way at the other end I recognize a soccer buddy I hadn’t seen in years. Our eyes met and instead of looking at me and waving hi he looked at me and did the sign of the cross. Immediately sent me into a tailspin

Ha! Fly. Just have a cocktail. It’s worth it. And believe me I feel the same about flying. I’ll never forget the first time I flew a budget airline to so fla out of Belleville. I read about it the night before and got myself spooked. But the next morning I felt better

Got in the airport and the gates were massive. Way at the other end I recognize a soccer buddy I hadn’t seen in years. Our eyes met and instead of looking at me and waving hi he looked at me and did the sign of the cross. Immediately sent me into a tailspin
If it helps, My granddaughter first flew my plane when she was 9. She loves it.

But you are NOT in control of what other people do and there's the problem. We went to ND last year and we almost got hit 4 times and none were my fault. Every time it was someone not paying attention to what they were doing.
I drive about 20,000 miles a year, the great majority between here and Georgia on I-75. I’ve seen it all. Considering a 20 mm cannon option on my next car.

The same reason we have a thread about whether or not to get rid of Islam, and why people are scared to fly: humans are notoriously bad at quantifying risks.

Nuclear energy is clean and safe. We should have phased out fossil fuels in favor of nukes decades ago.
I agree entirely but let me add one, nuclear power has tremendous start-up costs. It is far cheaper to build coal or gas. That is one point Taleb stressed in a book, dirt cheap fossil fuels is a big killer to nuclear (as is our lack of risk awareness). Nuclear could be a bit more affordable if we built plenty more and used identical designs. Then economics of scale would kick in. But almost every country has their own way, and even in the US the designs tended to vary.

We may soon be at a point waiting on fusion makes sense. We have had proof of concept tests work.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier

Those human beings who run their lives on emotions are not only notoriously bad at identifying risks, they are also notoriously bad at all other important decisions. So they believe men can menstruate and can’t say what a woman is. . (This one is for you @zeke4ahs @Circlejoe and a few others).

The rest of us get cancelled by them for daring to believe such things as sex is binary or building wind turbines is stupid.

Yeah, building nukes is a no brainer. One of the great mysteries is why all the people in government with no brains won’t build them.

Those human beings who run their lives on emotions are not only notoriously bad at identifying risks, they are also notoriously bad at all other important decisions. So they believe men can menstruate and can’t say what a woman is. . (This one is for you @zeke4ahs @Circlejoe and a few others).

The rest of us get cancelled by them for daring to believe such things as sex is binary or building wind turbines is stupid.

Yeah, building nukes is a no brainer. One of the great mysteries is why all the people in government with no brains won’t build them.
Not sure why you are calling me out this morning, but good morning to you Co! Oh, and GFY. 😎

And the Yucca Mountain waste storage facility forcing far less safe on-site storage at nuclear energy plants.
The rabid environmentalists in the Democratic Party want energy to be decided by emotions and politics. They can’t get traction based on the science and engineering approach to energy development. They are winning. This is just more fall-out from the gender gap and abortion issues that dominate politics.

Reactions: jet812
The rabid environmentalists in the Democratic Party want energy to be decided by emotions and politics. They can’t get traction based on the science and engineering approach to energy development. They are winning. This is just more fall-out from the gender gap and abortion issues that dominate politics.
Yes and so many simply dont want to learn. We see it in their cultish devotion to Biden and what has to be the worst president of our time. So often I ask…is what you and I are trying to do here worth it? Are we getting through to these people? I feel like by the time they come to us it’s too late. They are simply too far gone to reach. They come to us too late. Heart-rending stuff

Last edited:
I drive about 20,000 miles a year, the great majority between here and Georgia on I-75. I’ve seen it all. Considering a 20 mm cannon option on my next car.
I'm sure you're familiar where I-64 cuts off to the east in Lexington. I was driving thru there one time and was behind a guy that just stopped on I-75 because he hadn't got over to go on I-64 east so he was gonna wait for traffic to clear and then cut across. I couldn't get over because traffic was whizzing by on both sides. I figured I was gonna get crushed by a semi.

I'm sure you're familiar where I-64 cuts off to the east in Lexington. I was driving thru there one time and was behind a guy that just stopped on I-75 because he hadn't got over to go on I-64 east so he was gonna wait for traffic to clear and then cut across. I couldn't get over because traffic was whizzing by on both sides. I figured I was gonna get crushed by a semi.
And you get plenty of notice that 64-East is going to be cutting off to the left. Drivers just not paying attention.

Reactions: NPT

Glad you could find a way to insert trans people into another thread.

I’m with you. Hate the process of flying. Can’t take your stuff. Can’t move or sit comfortably. Can’t stop to see any Gator farms.

And jets are just flu tubes.

And the Yucca Mountain waste storage facility forcing far less safe on-site storage at nuclear energy plants.

The rabid environmentalists in the Democratic Party want energy to be decided by emotions and politics. They can’t get traction based on the science and engineering approach to energy development. They are winning.

Yeah, those Nevadans are a bunch of raving lefty tree huggers. And before you (COH) start screaming Harry Reid!!!, remember that he had to answer to his constituents.

Yeah, those Nevadans are a bunch of raving lefty tree huggers. And before you (COH) start screaming Harry Reid!!!, remember that he had to answer to his constituents.
The majority of Nevadans in that area of Nevada support it. It's in the link. The opposition to it is based on environmentalist misinformation. Politicians should do the right thing and get it done. The existing situation is not better.

Glad you could find a way to insert trans people into another thread.
Ha. Shudda called you out instead of circle. In any event, I didn’t pull trans people into this thread. All I said was that nukephobia and menstruating men come from the same state of mind and this is why we dont have nice things.

Reactions: jet812
The majority of Nevadans in that area of Nevada support it. It's in the link. The opposition to it is based on environmentalist misinformation. Politicians should do the right thing and get it done. The existing situation is not better.

The project is widely opposed in Nevada and is a hotly debated national topic. A two-thirds majority of Nevadans feel it is unfair for their state to have to store nuclear waste when there are no nuclear power plants in Nevada.[46] Many Nevadans' opposition stemmed from the so-called "Screw Nevada Bill," the 1987 legislation halting study of Hanford and Texas as potential sites for the waste before conclusions could be made.[46] The county containing the proposed facility, Nye County, supports the repository's development, as do six adjoining counties.[47] A 2015 survey of Nevadans found 55% agreeing that the state should be open to discussion of what benefits could be received.[48]

I agree entirely but let me add one, nuclear power has tremendous start-up costs. It is far cheaper to build coal or gas. That is one point Taleb stressed in a book, dirt cheap fossil fuels is a big killer to nuclear (as is our lack of risk awareness). Nuclear could be a bit more affordable if we built plenty more and used identical designs. Then economics of scale would kick in. But almost every country has their own way, and even in the US the designs tended to vary.

We may soon be at a point waiting on fusion makes sense. We have had proof of concept tests work.

A slightly different take. I don’t think it’s the cost necessarily, but the time it takes to build them. The cost of the latest one was 30 billion. Spread out over 10+ years it’s a drop in the bucket. How much did we just spend on the green deal? 300-400 billion? I think our government lacks foresight and wants to tout victories. It’s difficult to do that with nuclear.

Yes and so many simply dont want to learn. We see it in their cultish devotion to Biden and what has to be the worst president of our time. So often I ask…is what you and I are trying to do here worth it? Are we getting through to these people? I feel like by the time they come to us it’s too late. They are simply too far gone to reach. They come to us too late. Heart-rending stuff
I don’t post to get through to the lefties here.

It would be nice though if a lefty would post more than one sentence wutabout or stupid ad hominem.

This board is like society in general. It is difficult to criticize or make fun of liberals or groups they favor, and liberals increasingly wont take seriously a conservative POV. That is their failing, not ours.

The project is widely opposed in Nevada and is a hotly debated national topic. A two-thirds majority of Nevadans feel it is unfair for their state to have to store nuclear waste when there are no nuclear power plants in Nevada.[46] Many Nevadans' opposition stemmed from the so-called "Screw Nevada Bill," the 1987 legislation halting study of Hanford and Texas as potential sites for the waste before conclusions could be made.[46] The county containing the proposed facility, Nye County, supports the repository's development, as do six adjoining counties.[47] A 2015 survey of Nevadans found 55% agreeing that the state should be open to discussion of what benefits could be received.[48]

Exactly.

The opposition is mostly emotion, not science. We have been led to believe that spent nuclear fuel will be dangerous under any circumstances. Politics cannot solve the problem, yet we think it will.

I don’t post to get through to the lefties here.

It would be nice though if a lefty would post more than one sentence wutabout or stupid ad hominem.

This board is like society in general. It is difficult to criticize or make fun of liberals or groups they favor, and liberals increasingly wont take seriously a conservative POV. That is their failing, not ours.
You can't make a single post without tying in other grievances. Up above in your first post, you drag gender into nuclear power, everything is us vs them. You complain liberals drag racism everywhere then do the same thing with gender issues. Sadly, you don't see it.

Nuclear power is growing in popularity.

That is a good sign, let's be happy. Fusion is coming, that will be great.

Three Mile Island and The China Syndrome are fading from memory.
Not really. They just had meltdown on Netflix. Chernoybl on hbo. Both were good. I get how it seems scary to people who know nothing about it, which I trust is most people, like myself

Not really. They just had meltdown on Netflix. Chernoybl on hbo. Both were good. I get how it seems scary to people who know nothing about it, which I trust is most people, like myself

I'm still convinced that Three Mile Island and the Jane Fonda movie coming out a week or two after is what set back nuclear power development. While other technical concerns are involved, it's the public at large that has been the primary impediment.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
And jets are just flu tubes.
That is what I always thought also but from what i've read they are safer than going into a lot of restaurants because the air circulation on a plane is basically in a circular motion around each row of seats. From what I've read the air on a plane is exchange with fresh air every 3-5 minutes on average.

WxJBUCr.jpg

Reactions: UncleMark
You can't make a single post without tying in other grievances.
My chain pulling was deliberate. I likely will bring up menstruating men in other emotional discussions about serious issues. In any event, these aren’t “other” grievances. There is a single . . .ahem . . .root cause for all the emotional responses.

Fusion is coming, that will be great.
Fusion has been 10 years away for 40 years. But when it gets here, it would be great.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT