ADVERTISEMENT

Next IU football coach should be……

That’s true for anyone IU hires. In order to avoid that, it’s crucial to not be successful. Otoh, Successful or not, an IU coach will be snapped up or fired after 5 years or so…. So why not get success out of that deal?
That's why I feel an IU or Indiana connection is almost essential.....which limits the coaching pool greatly

No accident we've had Cameron, Hep & Allen hired..

Reactions: BayernFan
That's why I feel an IU or Indiana connection is almost essential.....which limits the coaching pool greatly

No accident we've had Cameron, Hep & Allen hired..
The state of Indiana produces nothing that would help IU in the way of coaches. Let’s get over this nonsense that we need someone from this state because it feels “good.”

The state of Indiana produces nothing that would help IU in the way of coaches. Let’s get over this nonsense that we need someone from this state because it feels “good.”
How do you know this? I think Dick Dullaghan would have been a good one. I think maybe the guy at New Pal. Maybe Kevin Donally at Saint Francis might have been a good one.

And top recruits and national attention and good hard nosed coaching.
Deion is interesting, for all his showboating he was a helluva player and still has cred from playing days. He could pay Allens buyout and take the job. There was some article about him telling players he didnt want to be seeing armpit hair on campus (meaning no sleeveless tees and wife beaters ) and a some other interesting things about having some discipline?

You can't hire a guy who's going to be gone as soon as he has a semi-successful season, be that his 2nd or 4th year.

To me, that means at a minimum a BT/Midwest guy, and probably a guy with Indiana or IU connections.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
Deion is interesting, for all his showboating he was a helluva player and still has cred from playing days. He could pay Allens buyout and take the job. There was some article about him telling players he didnt want to be seeing armpit hair on campus (meaning no sleeveless tees and wife beaters ) and a some other interesting things about having some discipline?
He’s a winner. He loves the game and is a student of it. Were IU to hire him, the wins would come quickly.

So his name won’t even enter IU’s mind.

You can't hire a guy who's going to be gone as soon as he has a semi-successful season, be that his 2nd or 4th year.

That is shortsighted. What IU needs is success. Not fools gold no fans in the stands COVID crap. Real success. The kind that makes other programs want your coach.

when he leaves (and you need to let him leave…. No big buyouts) you have a more attractive program to sell to a better pool of coaching talent.

Lynch was the one that really felt like a mistake at the time. Did Gre4enspan make that hire? He and Allen were both guys that essentially had to be hired because of the circumstances but overall would have otherwise been doubtful hires for any legit program. Of the two, I certainly felt Allen had the better chance to be successful.

But the point is....we've hired Lynch, Allen, Cam and Hep, all with IU or Indiana connections. Mallory wasn't an IU/Indiana guy but was a BT guy all the way.

That is shortsighted. What IU needs is success. Not fools gold no fans in the stands COVID crap. Real success. The kind that makes other programs want your coach.

when he leaves (and you need to let him leave…. No big buyouts) you have a more attractive program to sell to a better pool of coaching talent.
Agreed. The perfect hire is obviously some guy who can win here and will want to stay here forever but that just isn't realistic.

The best problem in the world that IU Football could have is if the Big Boys were all circling around our coach trying to hire him away from us! Instead CTA has proven that the covid season was an aberration and we're stuck with him and his huge buyout for a while longer.

No, hire the entire WKU staff, or Hugh Freeze and his staff at Liberty. Either would be a home run.
That would bring more of the same, bc they would not be able to overcome IU loser culture, which would consume them.

You need someone who will is much bigger than IU’s sucky culture…. And who won’t let it dominate. And who will strangle the life out of it.

Agreed. The perfect hire is obviously some guy who can win here and will want to stay here forever but that just isn't realistic.

The best problem in the world that IU Football could have is if the Big Boys were all circling around our coach trying to hire him away from us! Instead CTA has proven that the covid season was an aberration and we're stuck with him and his huge buyout for a while longer.
There is and will never be another RMK and what he did for basketball and admittedly he had a hotbed to recruit for his style . Those kind of coaches arent coming around. That good and staying where they are. I will get controvercy here but Paterno at Penn State. How many yrs was he loyal. He should have retired but I also don't think he really knew or understood what happened there. As a football coach? Woody Hayes and another sad ending but you arent going to find people who stay like that. Mark Few ? Woodson? I cant see taking another job if he manages to do well here Its home but You just don't find that.

Deion Sanders. He said he’d look hard at a Power 5 job.

Watching the flight schedules closely . . .

IU has always done the same ol’, same ol’ and expected a different result. And we all know that’s worked out extremely well.

Break the mold. Do something radical. How bad can it get? We already have more losses than anybody ever. Go for it. Shock the world . . .

There is and will never be another RMK and what he did for basketball and admittedly he had a hotbed to recruit for his style . Those kind of coaches arent coming around. That good and staying where they are. I will get controvercy here but Paterno at Penn State. How many yrs was he loyal. He should have retired but I also don't think he really knew or understood what happened there. As a football coach? Woody Hayes and another sad ending but you arent going to find people who stay like that. Mark Few ? Woodson? I cant see taking another job if he manages to do well here Its home but You just don't find that.
I do think its important to have a guy stay a # of years if he is any good.

That's why I wouldn't go with a young up and comer. Get some guy who's in his 50s, been around a long time in different roles. with a staff of his own. Wouldn't be as anxious to leave, and could have a designated successor.

Yes, because Knight flopped with the stuffed shirt crowd. Or do you mean because he's urban and we are racist?

Personally, I think indiana would ****ing love him. He's our kinda guy. Work hard and don't be a ****ing cry baby
His race never even entered my mind when I made that statement.
So you are comparing Knight at age 31 who no one outside of coaching circles with Deion Sanders who everyone in civilized world has heard of?
I don’t recall Knight being even the lest bit a controversial figure at 31 years old.

Reactions: vesuvius13
So you are comparing Knight at age 31 who no one outside of coaching circles with Deion Sanders who everyone in civilized world has heard of?
I don’t recall Knight being even the lest bit a controversial figure at 31 years old.
I don’t know. He had a lot to do getting people out of the Hurryin’ Hoosiers mindset. That was rather controversial, with fans at AH yelling out for the team to shoot more.

What exactly is controversial about Deion? He has a big personality but I dont recall any run ins with the law or anything besides he might talk too much?

Lynch was the one that really felt like a mistake at the time. Did Gre4enspan make that hire? He and Allen were both guys that essentially had to be hired because of the circumstances but overall would have otherwise been doubtful hires for any legit program. Of the two, I certainly felt Allen had the better chance to be successful.

But the point is....we've hired Lynch, Allen, Cam and Hep, all with IU or Indiana connections. Mallory wasn't an IU/Indiana guy but was a BT guy all the way.
You're not going to hire a guy who went 7-5 and took us to our first bowl game in 14 years?

And that felt wrong to you?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT