ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska@IU, Game 1: IU 8 Neb 7. IU gives up a 9th inning 3-run homer but hangs on for the win.

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
RHP Jack Perkins with an ERA of 4.22 in 49 IP is on the mound for IU, while RHP Shay Schanaman with an ERA of 3.66 in 51.2 IP is on the mound for the Huskers.

In Neb's 1st, Perkins gets off to a good start with two Ks to start the game. A ground out ends the 1st for Huskers. Nebraska has just one hitter hitting over .300 and that is Nick Wimmers who hitting .318 and he is batting in the 5th spot.

In IU's 1st, Whalen struck out swinging on a 3-2 count. Jessee grounds out. Pyne hits a two-out double to put a runner in scoring position. Ellis walks on four pitches. Tibbetts doubles to score Pyne with runners on 2nd and 3rd with two outs and IU with a 1-0 lead. Mathison is hit by a pitch to load the bases with two outs. Doanes strikes out to end the inning and leaves the bases loaded.

Perkins gave up an infield hit to start the Huskers 2nd and then was charged with a throwing error to move the runner to 2nd with no outs. Two Ks, a walk, and a flyout ends the Huskers 2nd with no damage done from the leadoff hit and error.

In IU's 2nd, Glasser is not in the lineup today and Max Johnson is in at SS. Murrison gets a leadoff single, and a SAC bunt by Johnson moves Murrison to 2nd with one out and IU is at the top of the order. A fielder's choice to the pitcher gets Murrison at 3rd with a runner on 1st with two outs. A throwing error by the pitcher on a pickoff attempt puts Whalen at 2nd with two outs. A ground out ends the inning.

In the 3rd, Perkins get the leadoff batter on a ground out. Perkins then walks a batter to put one on and one out, but a K and a ground out ends the Huskers 3rd.

In IU's 3rd, Pyne reaches on an error at 2B who bobbled the ball. Ellis is then hit by a pitch to put runners on 1st and 2nd. Pyne scores on a single by Tibbetts with the run unearned, and runners on 1st and 2nd with no outs. Mathison doubles down the RF line to score Ellis to make it 3-0, with runners on 2nd and 3rd and no outs. Tibbetts scores on a SAC fly by Doanes to make it 4-0, with Mathison moving to 3rd and one out. Murrison pops out for the 2nd out. Johnson strikes out to end the inning.

In the T4th, Perkins gets the first out on a fly, but then hits the next batter to put one on with one out. Neb leads IU 2-1 in hit batters today so far and that was IU's 71st hit batter of the season. Perkins gets a flyout for the 2nd out, but walks the next batter to put runners on 1st and 2nd with two outs. A ground out ends the Huskers inning with Perkins at 59 pitches so far.

Whalen and Jessee open IU's 4th with singles to put two on and no outs. Josh Pune then cranks a 3-run homer to LF to make it 7-0, IU. Ellis flies out to LF for the first out. Tibbetts then lines out hard to 3B for the second out. A ground out ends the inning. Nebraska's starting pitcher may not be out there for IU's 5th, since he is at 88 pitches and hasn't fooled IU's hitters much tonight.

In the 5th, Perkins strikes out the leadoff batter, his 6th K of the game so far. He gets a flyout for the 2nd out, but an infield hit puts a runner on with two outs. A flyout ends the Huskers 5th, and Perkins is cruising in this game at a PC of 79 and has given up just two hits so far.

In IU's 5th, the Huskers go to their bullpen to bring in RHP Mason Ornelas with an ERA of 6.64 in 20.1 IP. IU goes down in order to end the inning.

In the 6th, Perkins gets the first two batters on a pop out and a K, but walks the next batter to put a runner on 1st with two outs. A base hit puts runners on 1st and 2nd with two outs. A ground out ends the Huskers 6th, and Perkins is at 98 pitches so he may not be out there for the 7th with a 7-0 lead, but who knows.

In IU's 6th, Whalen leads off with a K. Jessee then singles to put a runner on with one out. A DP ends the inning.

In the Huskers' 7th, Perkins is back out there with a 98 PC. Perkins strikes out the leadoff batter, his 8th K of the game, with Holderfield warming up in the bullpen. Perkins then hits a batter for his 2nd hit batter of the game. An infield single puts runners on 1st and 2nd with one out and Perkins is at 114 pitches and may be starting to run out of gas. A single gets through infield to score a run, with runners on 1st and 2nd with one out. Perkins then gives up a 3-run homer to make it 7-4 and you have to second guess Mercer leaving Perkins out there too long with Perkins leaving at 118 pitches. LHP Grant Holderfield comes in with an ERA of 4.65 in 31 IP. Holderfield walks the first batter he faces to put a man on and one out. Holderfield then got a K and a pop out to finish off the Huskers as they close to within three runs.

In IU's 7th, after two outs, Mathison reached on a bunt single and then scored on a Doanes triple to make it 8-4, and Murrison struck out to end the inning as IU gets back an important run.

Last edited:
In the 8th, Holderfield gets the first two batters on Ks. A ground out ends the Huskers 8th and they are down to their last three outs.

In IU's 8th, Johnson strikes out to lead off. Whalen then singles to put a runner on with one out. Jessee flies out for the 2nd out. Whalen then steals 2nd. Nebraska goes to their bullpen to bring in RHP CJ Hood with an ERA of 5.40 in 10 IP to face Pyne. Whalen attempts to steal 3rd and is caught stealing to end the inning.

In the 9th, IU needs just three outs to end it. A leadoff single puts a runner on and no outs and we are at the 3 thru 5 hitters in the lineup. Holderfield then gets a K for one out, but then gives up a single to put runners on 1st and 2nd with one out. Mercer goes to the bullpen to bring in Braydon Tucker. Tucker gets a foul out, but then gives up a 3-run homer to make it 8-7 with two outs and no one on. A K ends the game and IU hangs on.

Much needed win for IU to leadoff the series. IU outhit the Huskers 12 to 9. Little did we know at the time that we were going to need that two-out triple by Doanes in the 7th to score a run to win this game, considering it made it 8-4. Whalen, Jessee, Pyne, Tibbetts, and Mathison all had two hits apiece with Pyne hitting a 3-run homer. We gave up two 3-run homers late to make this game much too close for comfort, but a win is a win. Mercer may have stayed with Perkins too long when he was well over 100 pitches in the 7th and gave up those four runs after getting the leadoff man on a K.

Reactions: mk30
" Mercer may have stayed with Perkins too long when he was well over 100 pitches in the 7th and gave up those four runs after getting the leadoff man on a K."
I can't hardly blame him in this case...considering how our bullpen has performed here of late. Like I have said earlier, "No lead is safe with this Pitching Staff"! LOL
Just glad they got the win!
BTW ptrich, what happened to Glasser? Haven't seen any more news about his injury and I wondered what his time-line was. Was also thinking about what was going on with Morgan Colopy.
I appreciate your efforts keeping up with the games!!

I can't hardly blame him in this case...considering how our bullpen has performed here of late. Like I have said earlier, "No lead is safe with this Pitching Staff"! LOL
Just glad they got the win!
BTW ptrich, what happened to Glasser? Haven't seen any more news about his injury and I wondered what his time-line was. Was also thinking about what was going on with Morgan Colopy.
I appreciate your efforts keeping up with the games!!
I can't remember what happened to him but we sure could use his bat back in there considering he was hitting around .350. Colopy has also been out awhile and I really haven't seen anything on him. Maybe someone on here knows more about them.

Reactions: mk30 and 82IU
I can't remember what happened to him but we sure could use his bat back in there considering he was hitting around .350. Colopy has also been out awhile and I really haven't seen anything on him. Maybe someone on here knows more about
Thought I saw colopy was hurt earlier this season and maybe same for fougerouse(so?). Definitely recall seeing colopy early in season in rf and at plate. Thought he would be a big part of offense and same for foug but neither were good from what I recall. Maybe hurt still or just beat out by Sam/hunter and tibbits?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT