ADVERTISEMENT

Nearly the entire SEC has ALREADY announced that..

Many have. Some have been killed for it.

Fauci has changed his tune on masks. He's allowed to do that. I in fact appreciate a willingness to change the policy based on further consideration and experience. Wearing masks was originally being touted as help prevent the wearer from being infected. Fauci was disputing that, saying that the protection provided to the wearer by hospital masks (not the full N95 surgical masks) was minimal and could be offset by increasing hands-to-face touching and the like. They've now weighed those considerations against the protection masks provide for transmission from the wearer, and have decided there is a net benefit.
If he's changed his mind on that, what's to say he won't change his mind again? Did some big scientific finding come out between now and then?

He's following the trend, just like everyone else is.

If they were that effective, why aren't we opening everything up and requiring everyone to wear a mask?

It's ridiculous. If that's the rationale, why aren't they blocking all roads in and out of areas with a high rate of infection?
If they were that effective, why aren't we opening everything up and requiring everyone to wear a mask?
If you want to throw out the most extreme hypotheticals as a basis for your positions, that's your prerogative. I'm not going to play. I've chosen to support the practical, common sense measures that have been taken. Hard choices are just that -- hard choices. I'm just as uncomfortable and inconvenienced and frustrated -- and afraid -- as everyone else, but understand there are no simple answers. I wish there were.

I wish you the best. I only hope that for other people's sake, you'll do your best to keep your distance, limit your travel, wear a mask, and wash your hands. I don't think that's too much to ask.

You do know that requiring those around you to wear masks is to protect you and your family right? The type of masks people are wearing outside of hospitals (non N95) isn’t to protect the wearer, its to protect those in contact with the wearer.
Wear a mask everywhere I go Doc. Got a few from my Dr. kids have them too. I think everyone who can should but if they choose not to I keep my distance.

You need to take off your tinfoil hat and turn off Fox news. The owner of that restaurant you want to sit in isn't at risk of getting the virus, but the single mother who has to serve your spoiled ass is. With the shutdown, she can draw unemployment and stay home with her kids while their schools are closed. Otherwise, that owner (likely as not a large corporation of wealthy investors) can order her back to work. The shutdown in Michigan, like in every state where the outbreak has been severe, is designed to flatten the curve and give medical facilities a chance to keep pace with the number of sick. It's guidelines are those recommended by medical experts. The dipshits carrying confederate flags and protesting with guns in the Statehouse are not really concerned about liberty. They are mostly bigots whose purpose is to do political damage to a governor Trump sees as a threat to his reelection.

The shutdown will end when it's safe to do so, as it will in all states (including Indiana - who fortunately has a governor with an independent brain not stuck up the President's ass).
Plenty of restaurants in Indiana where that person who serves you the food is the owner!

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
If you want to throw out the most extreme hypotheticals as a basis for your positions, that's your prerogative. I'm not going to play. I've chosen to support the practical, common sense measures that have been taken. Hard choices are just that -- hard choices. I'm just as uncomfortable and inconvenienced and frustrated -- and afraid -- as everyone else, but understand there are no simple answers. I wish there were.

I wish you the best. I only hope that for other people's sake, you'll do your best to keep your distance, limit your travel, wear a mask, and wash your hands. I don't think that's too much to ask.
Thanks, I wish you the best also.

But I don't think my example is as extreme as shutting down the world economy.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I like you guys but I believe you're dead wrong.

Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

This reopen at all cost stuff IS going to cost us dearly in my opinion...

//See how the Spanish Flu was reignited for reference...//
There's no stopping the virus you just have to forge through it with EXTRA precautions.

You do know that requiring those around you to wear masks is to protect you and your family right? The type of masks people are wearing outside of hospitals (non N95) isn’t to protect the wearer, its to protect those in contact with the wearer.
Those mask don't stop the virus which is too small if you would learn science. All the cloth mask and others than N95 just make people feel safer but don't protect from people from the virus.

Reactions: brebelle3 and DANC
Why wouldn't I be??

Gotta run. Time for my disinfectant injection.
I see you are listening to the lying MSM as Trump said it was up to the doctors to find medication that would kill virus and inject people. It helps to go to the original source and listen to what is said instead of listening to a media with an agenda that crops speeches to make anyone they dislike to look bad. I don't trust media and and go to sources instead of having info fed to me. You have to work to get to the original sources but it is worth it instead of being misinformed.

Reactions: td75 and brebelle3
I see you are listening to the lying MSM as Trump said it was up to the doctors to find medication that would kill virus and inject people. It helps to go to the original source and listen to what is said instead of listening to a media with an agenda that crops speeches to make anyone they dislike to look bad. I don't trust media and and go to sources instead of having info fed to me. You have to work to get to the original sources but it is worth it instead of being misinformed.
Oh, ok. It's media spin.

Sorry pal, I saw and heard the entire briefing live, and I know what he said - - the most batsh*t crazy comment in the history of the American presidency.

I think the virus will spike in the fall, they have called it the cold and flu season for a reason.
However, I think our response will be more measured. For example, super high-risk folks should stay home, even have friends get their groceries. Others will go out with masks and be more conscious of distancing. Others will likely take no precautions. I think governments will try hard to keep businesses open.
Now, what about a stadium of 80,000 people with stadium workers? Someone will have the virus. Then shut down?

Those mask don't stop the virus which is too small if you would learn science. All the cloth mask and others than N95 just make people feel safer but don't protect from people from the virus.
They protect other people from getting the virus from you if you cough or sneeze. The virus rides with snot and spit. Since anyone can be an asymptomatic carrier, its important that everyone wear them. This isn't some MSM virtue signaling ploy, it's common sense.

Those who have “learned a lot of science” think it reduces transmission by trapping saliva droplets, which are one of the primary modes of transmission.

Reactions: muubell and 76-1
Those who have “learned a lot of science” think it reduces transmission by trapping saliva droplets, which are one of the primary modes of transmission.
It's not like people have to cough in your face either. If someone coughs, the virus laden material can end up on surfaces that are then touched by someone else. I was involved in the brainstorming we did at my workplace to think of ways to reduce transmission risk. My contribution was to prop open every door in the facility (except washrooms of course) to keep people from using doorknobs. That has also served to keep air moving through some areas that would normally be pretty stagnant.

Reactions: muubell
It's not like people have to cough in your face either. If someone coughs, the virus laden material can end up on surfaces that are then touched by someone else. I was involved in the brainstorming we did at my workplace to think of ways to reduce transmission risk. My contribution was to prop open every door in the facility (except washrooms of course) to keep people from using doorknobs. That has also served to keep air moving through some areas that would normally be pretty stagnant.
This is what bothers me the most. i avoid people like crazy but i go through at least a half dozen or more doors to get into my office. three doors just to take a piss. catching it from surfaces and the uncertainty re same is troubling.

This is what bothers me the most. i avoid people like crazy but i go through at least a half dozen or more doors to get into my office. three doors just to take a piss. catching it from surfaces and the uncertainty re same is troubling.
I wear cheap knit gloves in my workplace for that reason. Easy to pull on and off and stuff in your pockets. Periodically put them in the microwave with a cup of water and nuke them for a couple minutes after the water starts boiling. The steam from the water permeates the fabric and then get heated way up. I don't know if there's any real benefit, but it makes sense and can't hurt. If nothing else it keeps me from passing on any critters that might be on my hands to the doorknobs.

I wear cheap knit gloves in my workplace for that reason. Easy to pull on and off and stuff in your pockets. Periodically put them in the microwave with a cup of water and nuke them for a couple minutes after the water starts boiling. The steam from the water permeates the fabric and then get heated way up. I don't know if there's any real benefit, but it makes sense and can't hurt. If nothing else it keeps me from passing on any critters that might be on my hands to the doorknobs.
sounds smart to me.

Yes, sorta like a bullet proof vest on a police officer. It protects vital organs if the torso whichis the largest target of the body, but you are still likely dead if it is a head shot.

Not to mention the cloth homemade masks get moist from your breath and not only become ineffective, but grow bacteria.

There's no stopping the virus you just have to forge through it with EXTRA precautions.

"Forge through it" huh... You forget that those doing the forging through it, will for the most part, be our healthcare workers and support staff...

Believe me when I tell you that they have already done plenty of forging through it...

Now I'm sure you meant well with your comment and you are attempting to put a positive spin on a tough situation but in my opinion there has to be a better way to get through this then to just say the hell with it and further dump the load (both literally and figuratively) on the healthcare workers...

Last edited:
Oh, ok. It's media spin.

Sorry pal, I saw and heard the entire briefing live, and I know what he said - - the most batsh*t crazy comment in the history of the American presidency.
He said that was up to the doctors to decide.

I have studied science and read many articles by scientist about this virus and a number say the mask doesn't work to stop the virus. My wife wears mask at work and shopping but has gotten sick anyway and my have the COV19 based on her symptoms. The people that do study this virus have different ideas about the mask and how it works. So many think it stops it but based on my wife I say it doesn't and if he has something else with these symptoms the it doesn't work very well.

Reactions: DANC
I have studied science and read many articles by scientist about this virus and a number say the mask doesn't work to stop the virus. My wife wears mask at work and shopping but has gotten sick anyway and my have the COV19 based on her symptoms. The people that do study this virus have different ideas about the mask and how it works. So many think it stops it but based on my wife I say it doesn't and if he has something else with these symptoms the it doesn't work very well.
For someone who has "studied science" you have a poor understanding of sample sizes.

People don't really want to hear reality. They'd rather follow like sheep. I mean, the shut down has worked so well in New York and New Jersey, hasn't it?

So, I'm sure the conventional wisdom regarding facemasks is just as effective now.

The government said that because they knew we didn't have enough masks and wanted to make sure what little were available ended up in hospitals and not in survival cellars. Just like they knew this want a 15 day thing. They know we're too stupid.
So, they lied on purpose? But now they're telling the truth?

The government said that because they knew we didn't have enough masks and wanted to make sure what little were available ended up in hospitals and not in survival cellars. Just like they knew this want a 15 day thing. They know we're too stupid.
For someone who has "studied science" you have a poor understanding of sample sizes.
Sorry you are wrong but only listen to one side not both sides like I do. I guess you don't understand the concept of an example.

Last edited:
Sorry you are wrong but only listen to one side not both sides like I do.
Based on all of your previous commentary on this subject, my guess is that you exclusively watch Fox News, and are inclined to believe whatever Trump says. Everyone I have encountered who subscribes to the narrative that the President is being persecuted by the media has no intention of listening to any alternative thinking. Those partisan blinders are hard to remove.

Transmission from surfaces is quite possible but you only become infected if you have a break in the skin or you touch your eyes, nose or mouth. Thus the emphasis on washing your hands.

You obviously wash your hands after using the bathroom. Have some hand sanitizer at your desk or use a sanitizing wipe to open doors on the way back to your desk and you should be good.

Are you okay with infringing on people's civil liberties when you tell them to wash their hands?;)
You can tell somebody to do anything and I have no problem with it. When you order them to do something subject to fine or incarceration I could, depending on the circumstances, have a big problem with it.

Last edited:
One way to combat this virus would be to go away from the use of handled doors. When I was a child, I grew up in an old house that had a swinging door going into the kitchen. It was actually the door leading from our dining room into our kitchen. I wish I had pictures of it, it was a house with tremendous character.

Anyway, swinging doors would presumably be far safer and less germy than their counterparts with handles. You can bump the swinging door with you shoulder to open it up...just a thought.

Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
Anyway, swinging doors would presumably be far safer and less germy than their counterparts with handles. You can bump the swinging door with you shoulder to open it up...just a thought.
Of course, but I don't think you can expect to see doors retrofitted. I've mentioned that in my workplace we've just propped open all the doors in the facility. I suppose it's possible the fire marshal might find some technical violation, but fvck 'em.

Of course, but I don't think you can expect to see doors retrofitted. I've mentioned that in my workplace we've just propped open all the doors in the facility. I suppose it's possible the fire marshal might find some technical violation, but fvck 'em.
Yeah my office bldg is a low-slung looking fall out shelter. The owners won’t spend a penny on it.

Based on all of your previous commentary on this subject, my guess is that you exclusively watch Fox News, and are inclined to believe whatever Trump says. Everyone I have encountered who subscribes to the narrative that the President is being persecuted by the media has no intention of listening to any alternative thinking. Those partisan blinders are hard to remove.
"I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue..." Truest thing he ever said.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
I don't watch TV and do my research on the internet. I do have libertarian/conservative lean and don't hide from it. I disagree with Trump on several issues IE I don't think this virus rises to the level of war for our gov't to deal with. Learn to independently research and you would be surprised with what you find.

Reactions: td75 and DANC
I believe the biggest danger is in group settings where people yell, cheer, shout, sing which along with coughs and sneezes and physical exertion expels sputum and can infect multiple people. I sing in a choir when I am in the south and I can see the end of choirs because you can not practice or perform without having people in close proximity. Just one example of a new normal. Same can be said with just normal singing of hymns in the congregation.

I believe the biggest danger is in group settings where people yell, cheer, shout, sing which along with coughs and sneezes and physical exertion expels sputum and can infect multiple people. I sing in a choir when I am in the south and I can see the end of choirs because you can not practice or perform without having people in close proximity. Just one example of a new normal. Same can be said with just normal singing of hymns in the congregation.
That's a depressing thought when singing hymns is dangerous.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcmurtry66
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT