ADVERTISEMENT

Movies, books, tv

Long miserable day. Tuesdays are always the worst. Grab a beer turn on Netflix and the first thing that pops up. Sunderland Til I Die Season 3. Like the good lord knows when you need a pick me up. Show is soooooo good

I enjoy all these sports series like F1 more than the actual sports

Last Friday we went up to Butler to see Colin Mochrie and Brad Sherwood. I think that is my 4th time seeing them and I have seen Whose Live 4 times too. I have to say the first hour of Colin and Brad this year was the funniest improv I have seen. Just comedy gold. If you liked Whose Line, look for Colin and Brad or Whose Live Anyway.

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
@mcmurtry66 have you seen the new Grand Tour, Sand Job? I thought it was ok, funny in spots. I like them best when they carry out the illusion it isn't scripted. They don't really try. Still, it has its moments.

@mcmurtry66 have you seen the new Grand Tour, Sand Job? I thought it was ok, funny in spots. I like them best when they carry out the illusion it isn't scripted. They don't really try. Still, it has its moments.
Co-sign on not scripted but yay!!! I didn’t know. Excited to watch!! Have you seen any of the James may travel shows?

I saw most of his Japan ones, liked it. But my wife didn't. The shows I want to watch that she doesn't is a pretty long list so getting to all of them will take a long time.
Okay I’m going to put it on my list. I like travel shows. No reservations being the best ever

I too like travel shows, he had some interesting insights into Japan. I assume that has continued.
okay i watched the grand tour sand storm. i have to say i loved it. i love when they go to these remote places like that. i was literally thinking to myself how blessed they are to have lived the lives they've lived and to get see the world like that. just as i was thinking that jeremy goes paraphrasing this is my favorite part of my job. getting to a town like this. the buzz you get when you enter a new town.

fascinating stuff.

i also watched oppenheimer. great movie. incredible music. love that peaky blinders guy. might be my favorite actor at the moment. thought the movie was great but a little tiny bit slow so i wouldn't count it amongst my favorites

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
On my quest to see all the best picture nominees also nominated for best director.

Just watched Anatomy of a Fall. Very good. Courtroom drama set in France. Mostly a character study of a marriage.

Reactions: jet812 and zeke4ahs
On my quest to see all the best picture nominees also nominated for best director.

Just watched Anatomy of a Fall. Very good. Courtroom drama set in France. Mostly a character study of a marriage.
Kind of a slow burner. I was nervous about the dog!!

Reactions: BradStevens

Sandra Hüller is great in The Zone of Interest as well…

Anyone see the first episode of the new True Detective? I love the Alaskan setting, super spooky. The Louisiana backdrop is part of what made the first season so great, also spooky.

Two female leads, because of course there is in the state with by far the largest male: female ratio in the country. However, Jodie Foster is a power house. I was wondering why her character felt so familiar and then I remembered, she starred in one of the best detective/ investigator roles of all time, Silence of the Lambs.

First episode was good.
Lord almighty! That was a bad bad season of television. Just terrible. This should be the end for True Detective. We'll always have Rust and Marty at least.

Shogun through two episodes is very well done. Far better than the the first mini series adaptation, though I suspect that it ends up being too short. 10 episodes, airs on Tues on hulu, Fx. They'll have to condense a lot to fit the whole book into one season. Only negative is it's subtitled when actors are speaking Japanese ..

Reactions: twenty02
Boys in the Boat was great. Best I've seen this year other than maybe Oppenheimer. Critics were lukewarm on it because it followed the underdog story playbook too closely and didn't try to make the story anything more than it was. Also wasn't woke. Good for Clooney.

Callum Turner. Burgeoning super star. He's carrying Maters of the Air as well.

• Love
ad-isildur.jpg

Boys in the Boat was great. Best I've seen this year other than maybe Oppenheimer. Critics were lukewarm on it because it followed the underdog story playbook too closely and didn't try to make the story anything more than it was. Also wasn't woke. Good for Clooney.

Callum Turner. Burgeoning super star. He's carrying Maters of the Air as well.
Turner is fantastic.

I just spoke with a childhood friend. He's written a book that he's quiet proud of. (in final editing now)
Hes from Ellettsville, graduated from IU, went on to be an investment banker... ( I know, it sounds shady as shit.. effing banker).
He is still enough of a IU Fan/ alum that he may recognize me calling him out here, in this post. Oh well.
Anyway, he forwarded me some of his new book, which I'm interested in mostly because I "will find several glimpses of yourself" in this new book. (shady banker bastard speak for, you get no royalties or recognition, and I am quite fine with that).
I say that only becasue I am not a reader, I know that I am not and I never will be. 3 pages and I'm out like a broken light bulb. I simply cant help it! I've left your thread alone, BUT. (I come in peace).

He forwarded me some pre published, pre edited parts of the book.
i've honestly never read more than 3 pages in a book and stayed awake. But now I have. There is this one line that stopped me reading, and I come to you all. ...

“Ah, but you mistake me as a man of means, which I am not. Only a man of resources"

My first though was @UncleMark , to be totally honest
My second thoguht was, havn't I heard this before..? ? is this plagerized? (if so I couldn't give two shits!)
But my third thought, Isn't this really every one of us, to a point? It's not what you HAVE... Many times your true value to others is, what can you go get if you are tasked to go do so.
isn't that the real question about ones "wealth"? Isn't "wealth" what is inside you/ us to be able to turn off or on as the owner needs it for their own need?

Maybe I just need to go sleep on it? I dunno.

Oscars. Let’s go. Zeke, I assumed you watched? The Ken performance was the best of the night. Not sure anyone got robbed on the major awards. Seems to go pretty much chalk with the tiny exception of Best Actress.

Oscars. Let’s go. Zeke, I assumed you watched? The Ken performance was the best of the night. Not sure anyone got robbed on the major awards. Seems to go pretty much chalk with the tiny exception of Best Actress.
Loved I’m just Ken!! I thought Emma had the best performance but thought Lilly woukd win. Pretty much everything else as predicted. ( I just found out today they were starting early . With the late game and Sr speeches last minute decided to stay in Btown. Hate to watch them delayed. ) Also pretty fast paced and no rambling speeches.

Loved I’m just Ken!! I thought Emma had the best performance but thought Lilly woukd win. Pretty much everything else as predicted. ( I just found out today they were starting early . With the late game and Sr speeches last minute decided to stay in Btown. Hate to watch them delayed. ) Also pretty fast paced and no rambling speeches.
Loved the early start!

20 days in Mariupol. Really tense, gut wrenching documentary. Holy smokes. Must watch for the Putin apologists out there.

My only criticism. This is a PBS documentary. Had to rent in on Prime for $2.99 or subscribe to the PBS streaming app.

Why am I paying to rent something my tax dollars already paid to to buy the rights to air?

20 days in Mariupol. Really tense, gut wrenching documentary. Holy smokes. Must watch for the Putin apologists out there.

My only criticism. This is a PBS documentary. Had to rent in on Prime for $2.99 or subscribe to the PBS streaming app.

Why am I paying to rent something my tax dollars already paid to to buy the rights to air?
Yeah I really want to watch that one.

Kid friendly or no?

Saw Dune 2 over the weekend. Really well done. Not happy with the shortening of the time line and fetus status of Alia, but still good.
I was very happy with Dune. The cinematography is beautiful, the story worked really well. It was long but not noticeably long. I get the differences being an issue like with Alia, but it still works.

Finished Masters of the Air. Great show. I wish they'd pump out WW II shows once a year of that quality.
Some of the same cast is in Manhunt on AppleTV. It's about the search for John Wilkes Booth. The first episode gets the surrender at Appomattox and Lincoln's assassination out of the way and then shifts the focus to the search. Two episodes are out now, and the third drops sometime this week. It's been a really enjoyable watch so far.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT