ADVERTISEMENT

Memo to Bill O’Reilly

CO. Hoosier

Hall of Famer
Aug 29, 2001
A title for your next Killing book.

Killing the Law

In the period of five years or so, Law in the United States has been beaten, clubbed, fire-bombed, undermined, and worst of all been horribly abused by those who have taken an oath to protect and defend it.

The interface between the law and most of us are the police. In some statistically rare cases, police have abused their authority. The pushback has been overwhelming and way out of proportion. In many communities, there is no effective police force because nobody wants the job, and the civilian overseers won’t let them do their job anyway.

Prosecutions in many communities have become a bad political joke. Prosecutors blatantly refuse to enforce laws they don’t like. Judges refuse to sentence in accordance with legal guidelines .

Nationally, we have an administration that has gone further than any before it to use the law for politics. Enforcement actions are pushed despite clear contrary precedent. Laws are routinely ignored for political purposes. Laws are selectively enforced to follow political ideology. In the worst cases, law is being used for theatrics to advance an agenda.

In the last weeks and months the executive branch of government and the legislative branch have heaped scorn and ridicule on the third branch, the Supreme Court. Probably doing irreparable damage to not only the stature and authority of the court, but irreparably damaging the rule of law itself.

I‘m old enough to remember when a POTUS used the United States Army to enforce a deeply unpopular SCOTUS decision. That is when SCOTUS had respect even though there were significant cries to Impeach the Chief Justice. Now, our President and Attorney General are leading the charge to demean the court.

Back in the olden days, when we studied, learned, and applied law from real books, the rule of law had context and an anchor in reality. Nowadays, the digitized law seems like another tweet or blog post. It has become detached from its foundations and then beaten senseless. We now have a government of men, not a government of law.

end of rant.

Last edited:

Killing the Law

In the period of five years or so, Law in the United States has been beaten, clubbed, fire-bombed, undermined, and worst of all been horribly abused by those who have taken an oath to protect and defend it.

The interface between the law and most of us are the police. In some statistically rare cases, police have abused their authority. The pushback has been overwhelming and way out of proportion. In many communities, there is no effective police force because nobody wants the job, and the civilian overseers won’t let them do their job anyway.

Prosecutions in many communities have become a bad political joke. Prosecutors blatantly refuse to enforce laws they don’t like. Judges refuse to sentence in accordance with legal guidelines .

Nationally, we have an administration that has gone further than any before it to use the law for politics. Enforcement actions are pushed despite clear contrary precedent. Laws are routinely ignored for political purposes. Laws are selectively enforced to follow political ideology. In the worst cases, law is being used for theatrics to advance an agenda.

In the last weeks and months the executive branch of government and the legislative branch have heaped scorn and ridicule on the third branch, the Supreme Court. Probably doing irreparable damage to not only the stature and authority of the court, but irreparably damaging the rule of law itself.

I‘m old enough to remember when a POTUS used the United States Army to enforce a deeply unpopular SCOTUS decision. That is when SCOTUS had respect even though there were significant cries to Impeach the Chief Justice. Now, our President and Attorney General are leading the charge to demean the court.

Back in the olden days, when we studied, learned, and applied law from real books, the rule of law had context and an anchor in reality. Nowadays, the digitized law seems like another tweet or blog post. It has become detached from its foundations and then beaten senseless. We now have a government of men, not a government of law.

end of rant.
It's hilarious that your purported recap of the last five years, including a rebuke of those who have abused the law during that period, makes absolutely no mention of Trump. Trump's assault on the rule of law is unprecedented in the history of the American presidency.

Also, you must have missed this in your middle school education, but the third branch of government isn't "the Supreme Court." It's the judiciary, which includes the lower courts as well. Trump has frequently expressed disdain for the federal courts. This list is no by means exhaustive, but he's taken shots at "the Mexican judge" (U.S. District Court Judge Gonzalo Curiel, born in Indiana), "the so-called judge" (U.S. District Court Judge James Robart), "the political judge" (U.S. District Court Judge Derrick Watson) and "the Obama judge" (U.S. District Court Judge Jon Tigar). He threatened to dismantle the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. He's mocked the concept of an independent judiciary. He has accused multiple U.S. Supreme Court justices of bias, and blasted the entire Court ("No Wisdom! No Courage!") after it rejected a legal challenge to overturn the election.

Your insular little bubble seems to have blurred the lines between the world as you'd like it to be and the one that actually exists.

Killing the Law

end of rant.
I heard a law school professor interviewed This week. He was asked if this decision could lead to “repeal” of “decisions” which allowed gay marriage and interracial marriage. He did not point out the misstatements or cite the language in the decision about marriage being rooted in history and fundamental to liberty.

His answer, (nearly a quote) - “well, apparently yes, since this court has shown a willingness to enforce its own interpretation of the Constitution.”

Trump's assault on the rule of law is unprecedented in the history of the American presidency
This issue isn’t about Trump. And yes, I have criticized Trump on this forum for attacking judges and his post election litigation. This isn’t even about me either and my “insular little bubble”. The Democrats blasted SCOTUS for B v G too. But this is different. The rhetoric now is much more personal and vile. The Democrat Senate Majority leader even expressly threatened justices by name. The SOS and UN ambassador blasted SCOTUS on the international stage. Putin, Xi, and Jong-Un love this shit.

Our political polarization has taken a remarkably ugly turn. That’s on the current crop of Democrats. Trump never did this kind of damage.

I heard a law school professor interviewed This week. He was asked if this decision could lead to “repeal” of “decisions” which allowed gay marriage and interracial marriage. He did not point out the misstatements or cite the language in the decision about marriage being rooted in history and fundamental to liberty.

His answer, (nearly a quote) - “well, apparently yes, since this court has shown a willingness to enforce its own interpretation of the Constitution.”
Another product of bad legal education where strong and intimidating instruction gave way to group think and conformance.

Killing the Law

end of rant.
The supreme court has made some of the worst decisions in American history and are open to criticism the same as any other branch. Dred Scott is considered the worst ruling ever (the constitution does not consider Africans citizens), but it has plenty of company. The SCOTUS has upheld forced sterilization of the intellectually disabled (Buck v Bell), Japanese interment (Kormatsu v US), and upheld separate but equal law (Plessy v Ferguson). How about Hammer v Dagonhart in which this learned group ruled you could not ban child labor, or Exxon v Baker ruling limiting the damages to 500 million. The value of the stock rose 2 billion in the next two days notable in that Alito had recused himself because he owned Exxon stock. Bush v Gore was highly controversial and although I voted for Bush, I have always kind of wondered about this one. the verdict on roe v Wade falls into the controversial bucket.

This court is politically influenced now as it has always been. Parties fight to appoint the justices because they share that party's view, and this court is no different. Administrations have been critical of the supreme court for my entire lifetime, and I am really from the "olden days" you referenced. You are very selective in your judgements of what this administration does and choose to look the other way on what the previous president did.

This issue isn’t about Trump. And yes, I have criticized Trump on this forum for attacking judges and his post election litigation. This isn’t even about me either and my “insular little bubble”. The Democrats blasted SCOTUS for B v G too. But this is different. The rhetoric now is much more personal and vile. The Democrat Senate Majority leader even expressly threatened justices by name. The SOS and UN ambassador blasted SCOTUS on the international stage. Putin, Xi, and Jong-Un love this shit.

Our political polarization has taken a remarkably ugly turn. That’s on the current crop of Democrats. Trump never did this kind of damage.
"Trump never did this kind of damage". You can't be serious. yTrump is in a whole lot of deep poopy for his actions as a president and he continues to spew his venom on a weekly basis.

You are very selective in your judgements of what this administration does and choose to look the other way on what the previous president did.

"Trump never did this kind of damage". You can't be serious. yTrump is in a whole lot of deep poopy for his actions as a president and he continues to spew his venom on a weekly basis.

COH is a partisan hack that tries to disguise that fact with lots of lawyerly language. He's Cray and DanC with better vocabulary and sentence structure.

The supreme court has made some of the worst decisions in American history and are open to criticism the same as any other branch. Dred Scott is considered the worst ruling ever (the constitution does not consider Africans citizens), but it has plenty of company. The SCOTUS has upheld forced sterilization of the intellectually disabled (Buck v Bell), Japanese interment (Kormatsu v US), and upheld separate but equal law (Plessy v Ferguson). How about Hammer v Dagonhart in which this learned group ruled you could not ban child labor, or Exxon v Baker ruling limiting the damages to 500 million. The value of the stock rose 2 billion in the next two days notable in that Alito had recused himself because he owned Exxon stock. Bush v Gore was highly controversial and although I voted for Bush, I have always kind of wondered about this one. the verdict on roe v Wade falls into the controversial bucket.

This court is politically influenced now as it has always been. Parties fight to appoint the justices because they share that party's view, and this court is no different. Administrations have been critical of the supreme court for my entire lifetime, and I am really from the "olden days" you referenced. You are very selective in your judgements of what this administration does and choose to look the other way on what the previous president did.
There is a time and place for everything, including criticizing governmental institutions. At a time when public trust in government is in the dumper, Biden and his administration makes it worse. And this after he promised to make it better.

Criticizing a judicial opinion was, is, and always will be appropriate. Lord knows, the majority was highly critical of Roe. But you know what? The majority kept it professional and based its criticism on the law. They didn’t say Blackmun hates the constitution. Contrast that with the personal attacks on the motives and character of the individual justices advanced by Biden and other Democrats. Then they compound their BS by saying women will die because of the opinion. I don’t think there is any Democrat smart enough to take on Alito on the merits, so they resort to the usual bullshit.

Last edited:
2 party system is completely broken…. Until that is addressed, remedied this is only going to get worse and most of us are too damned stupid to realize we’ve been been following the Pied Piper whichever party one holds dear to their heart

CoH, brought up this.. "We are a nation of laws not men" before.

Find this discussion typical of why CoH is one of favorite Coolerites.

Unfortunately, IMO, the discourse about the Biden administration and a recent across the board decline regarding respect for the rule of law is more about politics than a honest attempt to debate..."We are a nation of laws and not men."

COH is a partisan hack that tries to disguise that fact with lots of lawyerly language. He's Cray and DanC with better vocabulary and sentence structure.
If that is your true opinion, you’re an idiot.
CoH is the smartest guy on this board.

You need to check your prejudices and try to really think, instead of judging every post by its author and every book by its cover.

Unfortunately, IMO, the discourse about the Biden administration and a recent across the board decline regarding respect for the rule of law is more about politics than a honest attempt to debate..."We are a nation of laws and not men."
You're one of my favorites

He's very smart. He's also a partisan hack. That's what makes it so disappointing.
You act as though there is something wrong with being a partisan hack. I think all that means is i am an advocate and my posts reflect that. I wish more would post like that. The board would be more interesting. All we usually get are attacks on each other.

If you don’t like advocacy, stick with the movie, books TV thread. I like that one too along with the food threads.

It's hilarious that your purported recap of the last five years, including a rebuke of those who have abused the law during that period, makes absolutely no mention of Trump. Trump's assault on the rule of law is unprecedented in the history of the American presidency.

Also, you must have missed this in your middle school education, but the third branch of government isn't "the Supreme Court." It's the judiciary, which includes the lower courts as well. Trump has frequently expressed disdain for the federal courts. This list is no by means exhaustive, but he's taken shots at "the Mexican judge" (U.S. District Court Judge Gonzalo Curiel, born in Indiana), "the so-called judge" (U.S. District Court Judge James Robart), "the political judge" (U.S. District Court Judge Derrick Watson) and "the Obama judge" (U.S. District Court Judge Jon Tigar). He threatened to dismantle the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. He's mocked the concept of an independent judiciary. He has accused multiple U.S. Supreme Court justices of bias, and blasted the entire Court ("No Wisdom! No Courage!") after it rejected a legal challenge to overturn the election.

Your insular little bubble seems to have blurred the lines between the world as you'd like it to be and the one that actually exists.
Your last line describes most of your posts of how your world is and how you think unless you can also mention if you think biden and /or his family has done anything wrong.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC

Did you seriously miss the years 2016 to 2000?

Reactions: vesuvius13
Your last line describes most of your posts of how your world is and how you think unless you can also mention if you think biden and /or his family has done anything wrong.
Eh, Bowel is the king of unsubstantiated accusations.

You almost have to admire his horrendous facts-to-words ratio. No one else here says so much while saying so little, except CosmicDebris.

Reactions: sku and 76-1
You're dead wrong. The Biden presidency has been a mess and I've offered that opinion on numerous occasions. I've also said it's likely his son will be indicted.

You act as though there is something wrong with being a partisan hack. I think all that means is i am an advocate and my posts reflect that. I wish more would post like that. The board would be more interesting. All we usually get are attacks on each other.

If you don’t like advocacy, stick with the movie, books TV thread. I like that one too along with the food threads.
Extra credit in my book for accepting your hackery.

Nothing bugs me more than those that believe they aren't biased/hacks or worse yet, believe they are center moderates of everything.

Umm most everyone believes they are center moderates on everything. Very few will say 'yup, I'm extreme left or whatnot'.

My best friend is a qanon, conspiracy laden, deep state fighting, moved his family from the twin cities to western Wisconsin because of the supposed forseen crumbling of society by liberals (and now complains about his gas bill, in his mammoth truck to drive back into the cities).

We'll chat and he'll state that he's a moderate....a moderate that wants to televise the executions of all past and present democrat leaders plus Bill Gates and Fauci.

He truly believes he is center thinking and the majority of the country is with him.

He also thought Trump was going to win in a landslide so of course he 100% believes the election was rigged.

Anyway, we all have our biases. It's who we are. They can be bad but they also can be good things. They are like spices that help determine the flavor of our lives.

Nothing bugs me more than those that believe they aren't biased/hacks or worse yet, believe they are center moderates of everything.

Umm most everyone believes they are center moderates on everything. Very few will say 'yup, I'm extreme left or whatnot'.

My best friend is a qanon, conspiracy laden, deep state fighting, moved his family from the twin cities to western Wisconsin because of the supposed forseen crumbling of society by liberals (and now complains about his gas bill, in his mammoth truck to drive back into the cities).

We'll chat and he'll state that he's a moderate....a moderate that wants to televise the executions of all past and present democrat leaders plus Bill Gates and Fauci.

He truly believes he is center thinking and the majority of the country is with him.

He also thought Trump was going to win in a landslide so of course he 100% believes the election was rigged.

Anyway, we all have our biases. It's who we are. They can be bad but they also can be good things. They are like spices that help determine the flavor of our lives.

Pretty soon McM will be making "Partisan Hack" t-shirts to replace those old tattered "Deplorable" shirts.

• Haha
Reactions: TommyCracker

Tommy I disagree. I think most people are moderates. In fact I think the country is a Center ever so slightly left Bell curve. The cosmics, shooters, dbms are far more the exceptions than the norm imo. So when most say they are a moderate I believe them

Tommy I disagree. I think most people are moderates. In fact I think the country is a Center ever so slightly left Bell curve. The cosmics, shooters, dbms are far more the exceptions than the norm imo. So when most say they are a moderate I believe them
Are you trying to convince us (yourself) that you think there is a world outside this board?

:D

I line up pretty well with the Democrats on tort reform, abortion (before the Dems went batshit crazy about it) gun control, school vouchers, and a few other things. I’ve posted strongly about all of that because I figure why hold an opinion if you aren’t prepared to advocate for it? . But that doesn’t matter to Mark, you and a few others. Having voted for Trump trumps everything. Those who use words like “Trumpist” and “cultist” are the real partisan hacks.

But that doesn’t matter to Mark, you and a few others. Having voted for Trump trumps everything. Those who use words like “Trumpist” and “cultist” are the real partisan hacks.

Pass given for the first. The second time proves the point.

Reactions: TommyCracker
I HAVE to believe this board is more insane than the outside world
Most of the outside world doesn’t have time for this. That doesn’t mean it is more sane though. I was at a farmers market the other morning (consisting of liberal women selling their homemade crap to other liberal women) and a gaggle of them were insane about guns, abortion and Republicans. I asked one of them about gun industry immunity and she had no idea what that was. All she knew was the word “ban”. (My stoker disappeared so fast it took me 30minutes to find her). They could use a dose of sanity this board brings to the world.

BTW, best food was a nearby burrito food truck run by a couple of guys. And the burrito wasn’t even infused with lavender!

Last edited:
I voted Dem for many years based solely on tort reform
I was on the Colorado Trial Lawyers PAC for a while. We were in charge of giving campaign money to various legislators. We found one Republican to support: he was a lawyer.

I spoke a few times to GOP groups about Tort Reform during the McDonalds hot coffee hysteria. Tort reform is really bed rock liberal, (using the government to take away jury autonomy). I convinced a few that opposing tort reform is the conservative position.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT