ADVERTISEMENT

Love this from Hurley. Think we need this kind of philosophy here.

Think we need this kind of philosophy here.

Our FB coach just quote tweeted it with a bulls eye emoji.
Doesn’t seem to be the way of the NBA. Funny enough, in last night’s Pacers game, Rick Carlyle (sp?), took Jalen Smith out after about 3 bad/lazy plays and put in Jackson. Buckner (of all freaking people) laughed and said “some people don’t like it, but Rick holds his players accountable!”

Reactions: kmathum
Doesn’t seem to be the way of the NBA. Funny enough, in last night’s Pacers game, Rick Carlyle (sp?), took Jalen Smith out after about 3 bad/lazy plays and put in Jackson. Buckner (of all freaking people) laughed and said “some people don’t like it, but Rick holds his players accountable!”
Wikipedia describes our current coach with this summary about Woody’s coaching philosophy:

“Much of his coaching philosophy reflects these mentors, emphasizing hustle, accountability, and shared responsibility.[2] In games, Woodson "exudes Knight's steely discipline," but in language uses Larry Brown's "philosopher-coach persona, speaking earnestly of 'playing the right way' and the need to 'teach' his players."[2] On the court he tends to favor the "share-the-ball mentality preached by Holzman."[2]

“He implemented "a four-out one-in offensive system that highlights versatile athletes in a free-flowing system" and "made a point to emphasize that he understood the importance of 3-pointers."[24]Woodson also utilizes analytics to help determine player combinations.[24]

Never trust Wikipedia.

I wish the NCAA would call out the bs in the NBA. The problem is the NBA is simply business to business corporate crap. Those people don't care about the quality of basketball or the character of the players. Only true basketball fans do. I wish the NBA would set some kind of regulation instead of just free for all garbage. They have no qualifications whatsoever except talent+size.

• Wow
Reactions: Bucket Getter
Wikipedia describes our current coach with this summary about Woody’s coaching philosophy:

“Much of his coaching philosophy reflects these mentors, emphasizing hustle, accountability, and shared responsibility.[2] In games, Woodson "exudes Knight's steely discipline," but in language uses Larry Brown's "philosopher-coach persona, speaking earnestly of 'playing the right way' and the need to 'teach' his players."[2] On the court he tends to favor the "share-the-ball mentality preached by Holzman."[2]

“He implemented "a four-out one-in offensive system that highlights versatile athletes in a free-flowing system" and "made a point to emphasize that he understood the importance of 3-pointers."[24]Woodson also utilizes analytics to help determine player combinations.[24]

Never trust Wikipedia.
He definitely doesn't exude steely discipline. Knight would have kicked Johnson off the team for his little high speed escapade. And he would not have allowed the poor defense. Certsinly wouldn't have started all the guys who couldn't guard a chair. Woodson gives them a winning ticket at the beginning and says "here you go Mgbako, you're a starter all year even if frigging Army lights you up"

Never trust Wikipedia.
Gag, who wrote that, his mom?

To Woodson's defense I'll say this: he's a 2000 point scorer who played and excelled under Knight. Even though he seems unlikely to turn things around, I do believe he knows what good ball looks like and is trying to get there. I just think he has failed already in a couple of categories and probably cannot recover.

Reactions: asindc

Never trust Wikipedia.
Sounds like the PR machine is at work. You want to put out the most favorable snapshot to attract potential recruits. Obviously, McNeely would get a laugh out of this, because he dumped Woody after seeing too much of the reality, which doesn’t resemble this bullshit at all.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
I wish the NCAA would call out the bs in the NBA. The problem is the NBA is simply business to business corporate crap. Those people don't care about the quality of basketball or the character of the players. Only true basketball fans do. I wish the NBA would set some kind of regulation instead of just free for all garbage. They have no qualifications whatsoever except talent+size.
What?!

To Woodson's defense I'll say this: he's a 2000 point scorer who played and excelled under Knight. Even though he seems unlikely to turn things around, I do believe he knows what good ball looks like and is trying to get there. I just think he has failed already in a couple of categories and probably cannot recover.
He DID know good basketball. As we grow old, we tend to forget things.

So according to Hurley it's not the coach's fault, it's the player. "Their son has to work harder, do more, earn his role."

OK got it. So when Woodson "throws players under the bus" by calling out their lack of effort or their poor play or decision-making , is he wrong? How do these two positions align?

Or is Hurley just right because he wins?

Reactions: asindc
His biggest problem is that he clearly doesn't have a clue as to what a Team Leader looks like or should be and that's almost inexplicable given the coaches he's had as mentors... Woodson's. believing that X could actually lead anyone to anything other than off campus party is more than a little concerning...

Last edited:
So according to Hurley it's not the coach's fault, it's the player. "Their son has to work harder, do more, earn his role."

OK got it. So when Woodson "throws players under the bus" by calling out their lack of effort or their poor play or decision-making , is he wrong? How do these two positions align?

No, you should listen to the clip. He goes into more detail. He's basically talking about recruiting targets and including parents in the mix. If the parents are toxic, sounds like he might not recruit the kid.

I have no clue if Woodson does this.

It looked like he was blaming the parents if they are not going to be part of it. What if the parents are constantly blaming the coach or the assistant coach instead of saying, "son, you got to block out in that situation. Listen to the coach."

It looked like he was blaming the parents if they are not going to be part of it. What if the parents are constantly blaming the coach or the assistant coach instead of saying, "son, you got to block out in that situation. Listen to the coach."
It blows my mind that parents are talking to coaches about playing time at the D1 college level. I can't imagine doing that.

Reactions: VanPastorMan
It blows my mind that parents are talking to coaches about playing time at the D1 college level. I can't imagine doing that.
They might not talk directly to the coach. But they might be validating a kid's blaming the coach for lack of playing time, instead of challenging it and telling them "you work harder, you earn your time. Don't blame others, blame yourself."

From my experience, not many parents do that to kids at any age, in athletics or school or anything else.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT