ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like Michigan is after another Indiana kid

HoosierFB

Freshman
Sep 3, 2010
I'm sure everyone has already heard by now that Michigan will be hosting a satellite camp in Indianapolis this summer. On June 4th the Wolverines will be at Bishop Chatard for its "Summer Swarm Tour 2015." Coach Harbaugh has already leveraged his strong coaching pedigree into landing one Indiana's top prospects in QB Brandon Peters, and now it looks like he will be after Winchester RB Kiante Enis, as he landed an offer from the Maize and Blue this afternoon. Toks Akinribade, Austin Mack, and Auston Robertson all hold offers from the Wolverines.

The next few months should be interesting, as the Hoosiers work to get many of these talented athletes down in Bloomington. Both Mack and Robertson seem to be the least likely of the bunch to end up in Cream and Crimson, but I feel like the rest of the in-state guys are definitely in-play.

Not sure if this would work but wherever MU does these, the near by home schools, so to speak, hold a congruent one near by to Literally give those going multiple places to go in same day. So IU or PU in Indy, FL school in SEC, etc. has to be some sort of way to throw it back in their face that maybe would catch on.

I'm sure everyone has already heard by now that Michigan will be hosting a satellite camp in Indianapolis this summer. On June 4th the Wolverines will be at Bishop Chatard for its "Summer Swarm Tour 2015." Coach Harbaugh has already leveraged his strong coaching pedigree into landing one Indiana's top prospects in QB Brandon Peters, and now it looks like he will be after Winchester RB Kiante Enis, as he landed an offer from the Maize and Blue this afternoon. Toks Akinribade, Austin Mack, and Auston Robertson all hold offers from the Wolverines.

The next few months should be interesting, as the Hoosiers work to get many of these talented athletes down in Bloomington. Both Mack and Robertson seem to be the least likely of the bunch to end up in Cream and Crimson, but I feel like the rest of the in-state guys are definitely in-play.
It doesn't help that we haven't beat UM since '87. We need to take care of that this year. Winning helps cure a lot of ills. Harbaugh knows Indy and it is too close to not go after our elite talent. But so will all the surrounding elite programs and national programs.

I think part of it might be that a kid could want to attend a particular school's camp but may not have the means to travel there, so now the camps are being brought to the players.

Not sure if this would work but wherever MU does these, the near by home schools, so to speak, hold a congruent one near by to Literally give those going multiple places to go in same day. So IU or PU in Indy, FL school in SEC, etc. has to be some sort of way to throw it back in their face that maybe would catch on.

Coach Harbauhg is going to be one of those coaches we love to hate (or at least dislike) . . .

Kiante Enis picked up an offer from Michigan State today, his stock continues to rise.

Penn State was in earlier this month to see Kiante.

it doesnt even matter that harbaugh his going after some of these guys. osu leads for mack. msu leads for robertson

the 2 Austins are supposed to declare within the next 2 weeks and studed is
correct.

Why is Indiana such a non-factor in Fort Wayne area players' plans?

correct.

Isaac Griffin is from fort wayne and the homestead receiver has us in his final group. Kenny Mullen also went to Luers. We get our fair share of fort wayne kids.

It seems like the only kids from up here who end up at IU are the lightly recruited ones. I don't have time to look it up, but between Mullen, Griffith, Clark, Lawrence Barnette, and even James Hardy, there were not many BCS offers (I think actually zero) besides IU. It's like IU is the last resort.

Meanwhile, we've been stocking Notre Dame's roster and keeping the MAC in QBs, a couple of whom turned down IU to play out of state (and play very well) for MAC schools. I've talked to coaches who feel like IU makes a good effort to recruit up here, they just can't seem to get the kids interested.

Last edited:
Isaac Griffin is from fort wayne and the homestead receiver has us in his final group. Kenny Mullen also went to Luers. We get our fair share of fort wayne kids.
We don't get our fair share, we might have 3 kids on the roster AT MOST - 3 kids total out of 4 classes. Hardy came for basketball originally. I don't think we've had the contacts/relationships in Fort Wayne and as a result a lot of good players end up at Purdue, Notre Dame, Michigan etc.

correct.

Even though Fort Wayne is in Indiana, its still somewhat closer to to places like Ann Arbor, E Lansing, and Columbus than Bloomington. Being the "close to home" option is how the underdog is most likely to win in recruiting battles. That just doesn't work with IU and Fort Wayne, just too many big name schools that are actually closer to Fort Wayne than IU.

Even though Fort Wayne is in Indiana, its still somewhat closer to to places like Ann Arbor, E Lansing, and Columbus than Bloomington. Being the "close to home" option is how the underdog is most likely to win in recruiting battles. That just doesn't work with IU and Fort Wayne, just too many big name schools that are actually closer to Fort Wayne than IU.
This is exactly what I was thinking. Guessing there are also a lot of alumni and fans of those teams in that area

correct.

What do you mean why? How many kids grow up big IU football fans? And considering our history, this staff has done a pretty good job.

I did the yahoo maps. There's a 3 miles difference from Fort Wayne to Columbus, O
compared to Fort Wayne to Bloomington. The mileage difference is about 20 to 30 miles closer (depends on the route selected) between Fort Wayne to Ann Arbor as compared to Fort Wayne to Bloomington. Does anybody seriously think that geographical distance is the major factor in these Fort Wayne players' decisions?

Notre Dame is still at least a 2 hours drive to Fort Wayne (because of all of the lights on US 30 or going through Angola interchange doesn't speed things up that much).

IU needs somebody at Fort Wayne who can establish a solid rapport early
with Fort Wayne area high school, junior varsity and even junior high coaches
if IU expects to be more successful in Fort Wayne long term

I did the yahoo maps. There's a 3 miles difference from Fort Wayne to Columbus, O
compared to Fort Wayne to Bloomington. The mileage difference is about 20 to 30 miles closer (depends on the route selected) between Fort Wayne to Ann Arbor as compared to Fort Wayne to Bloomington. Does anybody seriously think that geographical distance is the major factor in these Fort Wayne players' decisions?

Notre Dame is still at least a 2 hours drive to Fort Wayne (because of all of the lights on US 30 or going through Angola interchange doesn't speed things up that much).

IU needs somebody at Fort Wayne who can establish a solid rapport early
with Fort Wayne area high school, junior varsity and even junior high coaches
if IU expects to be more successful in Fort Wayne long term
IU needs to build a program that wins consistently if they want to recruit the best kids in Fort Wayne or anywhere else.

Enis committed to Michigan yesterday after camp, on the spot.

4 other of the state's top players are getting ready to verbal with Michigan as well.

Harbaugh cleaned house on his camp.
He had the Center Grove coach drooling and in an orgasmic state.

IU and Purdue should completely forget it on the top in-state kids.
There is no in-state interest from the blue chippers for state schools.

4 other of the state's top players are getting ready to verbal with Michigan as well.

A perpetually losing program will do that. Wilson needs to win or someone else needs to be brought in.

In my opinion, it's bowl or bust for Wilson this year. Anything less and he's gone. And his counterpart across the parking lot has to seriously contend for a Big Ten title or he can pack his bags too. No more excuses.

Yeah! Like with Latham and Booth and Allen, etc. I still don't get why it's surprising that we don't "own" the state. And the annual freak out over early commits. Wilson's done better than anyone in recent memory, but we still need wins. And UM and OSU will always get most of who they want.

Michigan sends out recruiting flyer showing their WR coach gets fired a lot and the Ohio St WR coach wins National Championships. Nice work.

The Homestead receiver is going to Northwestern, while Robertson is a Spartan.

Does anybody seriously think that geographical distance is the major factor in these Fort Wayne players' decisions?

Distance certainly isn't the final factor in the decisions. But distance is usually the primary advantage IU can use to get top recruits from in state. When we have been able to get top in-state talent (Booth, Latham, Allen - all Indy area), distance and playing close to home was certainly a huge component. We lack that advantage in Fort Wayne.

When you're not a traditional power, you get most of your top recruits by being the closest school to home.

Last edited:
It doesn't help that we haven't beat UM since '87. We need to take care of that this year. Winning helps cure a lot of ills. Harbaugh knows Indy and it is too close to not go after our elite talent. But so will all the surrounding elite programs and national programs.
As long as UM & MSU skim off the top talent in the state
beating UM anytime soon is going to be a difficult task.

And as of today, Robertson officially to MSU, both Skowronek (sp?) and Aiden Smith to NW, and Mack to tOSU.

No matter how you spin it, it's a tough day to be a Hoosier fan, that's for sure.

Until we can get the top rated recruits from Indiana to stay home we will never be able to compete in the big ten.
There is plenty of talent outside the state of Indiana, which is relatively small in population and doesn't produce a lot of truly top tier talent, That's likely why CKW emphasizes recruiting in places like Florida and Georgia.

Last edited:
And as of today, Robertson officially to MSU, both Skowronek (sp?) and Aiden Smith to NW, and Mack to tOSU.

No matter how you spin it, it's a tough day to be a Hoosier fan, that's for sure.

Well, we hadn't offered Smith and we already have a QB (and a likely better one), so that's not too tough.

Skowronek is probably the biggest disappointment, but when you consider that he has a brother at NW already, IU probably was never in that good a position to begin with.

And I don't think we ever had a legitimate shot at Robertson and Mack.

(too much spin?)

There is plenty of talent outside the state of Indiana, which is relatively small in population and doesn't produce a lot of truly top tier talent, That's likely why CKW emphasizes recruiting in places like Florida and Georgia.
I know that but you can't compete in the big ten on 2 and 3 star kids from out of state. It just looks bad that we can't keep the top rated kids in state and no other top players will come in as well.

I know that but you can't compete in the big ten on 2 and 3 star kids from out of state. It just looks bad that we can't keep the top rated kids in state and no other top players will come in as well.

MSU does get a handful of top rated kids every year, but their recruiting bread and butter is a lot of out of state 3-star talent (and occasionally 2 star), especially from Ohio.

The last few classes might be lacking in star power for IU, but we starting to pull in some very solid top to bottom classes, which is probably more important than getting a couple top tier recruits.

I'd rather have a class full of 3-star players with other power conference offers (what happened in 2015), than a class with a couple of elite recruits but with half the class having no other power conference offers.

Last edited:
Reactions: IUXC68
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT