ADVERTISEMENT

Last Season vs. This Season

Btownboom

Redshirt
Mar 28, 2021
Fulton Indiana
Im not going to diss on woody because hes killing it in the portal especially if Goode committs. But roster construction seems to still be a minor issue. We will have 2 more scholarships left after Goode. We need another Big. Last season we had to many bigs and not enough guard/wings. This upcoming season seems to be the opposite. Alot of guards/wings no back up big. My wishlist would be Stewart(i know its a pipe dream) or Theiro(Sp). But Malone would be fine too. Thoughts??

Reactions: nichlee and BA47591
Im not going to diss on woody because hes killing it in the portal especially if Goode committs. But roster construction seems to still be a minor issue. We will have 2 more scholarships left after Goode. We need another Big. Last season we had to many bigs and not enough guard/wings. This upcoming season seems to be the opposite. Alot of guards/wings no back up big. My wishlist would be Stewart(i know its a pipe dream) or Theiro(Sp). But Malone would be fine too. Thoughts??
No reason to hurry or be concerned. It's still freakin' April ..

We had enough guards/wings, we just didn't have enough good guards/wings.

Like, we didn't have any.

I'm a fan of Stuart as well.

Reactions: Btownboom
We currently have two big men. Three of the guards will likely never see the floor based on the amount of guards and I am pretty sure I know which three.

We currently have two big men. Three of the guards will likely never see the floor based on the amount of guards and I am pretty sure I know which three.
You need 5 or 6 guards. Can't have 4 unless no one gets injured. IU played a pint sized freshman all season long at guard last year and he should be commended for that rather than ridiculed. There have been a lot of really good players over the years who barely played as freshmen. It takes time except for the ultra talented and physically gifted.

You need 5 or 6 guards. Can't have 4 unless no one gets injured. IU played a pint sized freshman all season long at guard last year and he should be commended for that rather than ridiculed. There have been a lot of really good players over the years who barely played as freshmen. It takes time except for the ultra talented and physically gifted.
I am not saying you do not need six guards just saying two or three are not going to play unless woodson decides to go 11 or 12 deep. I am guessing he goes 9 deep which leaves three guys on the bench. Several of which played last year

• Haha
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I am not saying you do not need six guards just saying two or three are not going to play unless woodson decides to go 11 or 12 deep. I am guessing he goes 9 deep which leaves three guys on the bench. Several of which played last year
Gunn, X Galloway, Leal and Cupps all played last year. Gunn and X are gone, so that's two not playing. And, Cupps and Leal probably play spot minutes at most. Those playing the best play... so tell me again, what's the problem?

I can see this. Certainly, Carlyle and Rice can play both SG/PG, so Cupps’ minutes will be cut severely and you know Galloway will see at least 15-20 a game. I don’t see where Leal can get minutes. Newton would have to be 100% healthy and very good to see minutes. Frankly, it’s a nice problem to have.

Reactions: kkott
I can see this. Certainly, Carlyle and Rice can play both SG/PG, so Cupps’ minutes will be cut severely and you know Galloway will see at least 15-20 a game. I don’t see where Leal can get minutes. Newton would have to be 100% healthy and very good to see minutes. Frankly, it’s a nice problem to have.
Yes, a nice problem to have. You want a team where veterans play and younger players work to improve. It's a simple concept but kids have way too much power these days. They don't play so they leave. Messes things up

Cupps should redshirt Newton should be brought along slow. I hope we land a stretch 4 and another shooter.

Couple of pretty good podcasts/youtube videos I've seen recently on this class. Assembly Call yesterday posted an update after Carlyle's commit, and the Sleepers guys, who historically have loved nothing more than to tweak IU fans and hang on Braden Smith's nutsack, have had some very good content and comments. Sleepers was very critical of our roster last year, and guess what? They were largely correct. They seem to be equally high on IU and the portal class this year, and have had lots of interesting comments between the two. Sleepers have said IU has the best portal class so far, and that they think IU is the most likely B10 program to net a NC... (maybe without Woodson as coach, who they still seem to question). Sounds like IU at least for this season as really put ourselves in the elite class with NIL resources; maybe us, KU, AR, UK and Duke. Also liking what Dusty is doing at UM, but made some interesting comments (to me at least) about Dusty and IU. I assumed his going to UM killed the likelihood of him at IU, but it sounds like they believe he could still come and that IU might still be appealing to him. Also said Rice was back at IU last weekend and working out at Cook and how it should help chemistry with 5th year guys like Leal and Galloway leading the charge to add talent (last two I believe were AC comments). All in all, if you include Goode, this sounds like on paper maybe the most talented/skilled roster CMW has had to work with (definitely in the backcourt) and that adding post depth might take it from HR to Grand Slam.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
patience

Reactions: Btownboom
Guard play should be much better. Mgbako hopefully develops over the summer and starts to defend better. I think IU is better offensively but still needs a couple shooters. Hopefully IU plays much better defense going forward

Reactions: Willdog7
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT