ADVERTISEMENT

Just to illustrate the disparity between divisions

Coach Geez

All-Big Ten
Dec 23, 2019

I understand class sizes often dictate rankings but as it stands now the B10 East sits 1-7 in class rankings and B10 West sits 8-14. Obviously Iowa and Wisconsin are great developmental programs, especially on both sides of the line, but anyone (all Purdue people essentially) who doesn't understand why it's that much harder to compete in the East division over the West division due to wide talent disparity needs their heads examined. It speaks volumes that an Indiana team coming off an abysmal 2-10 season is out-recruiting every single program in the West.

If Iowa and Wisconsin actually had a normal sized class the additional 3 star guys would drag the average down to probably right where RU, IU, and Mary are. We’ll never realign again but good grief, it’s bad for the brand with a look like that.

If Iowa and Wisconsin actually had a normal sized class the additional 3 star guys would drag the average down to probably right where RU, IU, and Mary are. We’ll never realign again but good grief, it’s bad for the brand with a look like that.

The only West team that beats us in average rating is Iowa, who only has 12 commits.

Any way you slice it, the West is bad.

I understand class sizes often dictate rankings but as it stands now the B10 East sits 1-7 in class rankings and B10 West sits 8-14. Obviously Iowa and Wisconsin are great developmental programs, especially on both sides of the line, but anyone (all Purdue people essentially) who doesn't understand why it's that much harder to compete in the East division over the West division due to wide talent disparity needs their heads examined. It speaks volumes that an Indiana team coming off an abysmal 2-10 season is out-recruiting every single program in the West.
That's crazy.....several months ago I put forth a plan for new divisions on here....a damn good one that would make sense.

Reactions: vesuvius13
The Big Ten is a joke and these divisions attest to that. This was Jim Delany's baby because he was threatened by the SEC....

The West is full of middling programs. They will naturally be propped up by the disparity, that's common sense. Purdue or Minnesota, for example, can all of a sudden become 8+ win teams because of the tremendous disparity. It is a fraud.

The Big Ten is a joke and these divisions attest to that. This was Jim Delany's baby because he was threatened by the SEC....

The West is full of middling programs. They will naturally be propped up by the disparity, that's common sense. Purdue or Minnesota, for example, can all of a sudden become 8+ win teams because of the tremendous disparity. It is a fraud.

Purdue football is always a fraud.

• Haha
Reactions: IndyGlen and Nieman
Maybe having lopsided divisions is helpful for tv revenue by providing more big matchups.

They could just embrace the top division and the bottom division. Every year, the top program in the west could be moved to the East and the bottom program in the East moved to the west lol

I think average ranking is a much better metric. I think they need to put less weight on class size.

Even then, only Iowa and Wisconsin would jump ahead of a Big Ten East team.
Yup. This is the only way you can look at it. And by going off of that you get:

OSU - 94.04
PSU - 90.87
UM - 89.27
Iowa - 88.36
IU - 87.86
Wisconsin- 87.25
MSU - 87.27
Rutgers - 87.12
Maryland - 86.77
Nebraska - 86.45
Northwestern- 86.42
Purdue - 85.79 (unranked recruit counting I believe)
Minnesota - 85.77
Illinois - 85.11

Off average star rankings, the East is still ahead of the west, but not as bad. Where I'm conflicted though is this recruiting dominance doesn't translate to division matchup dominance. It's still almost a .500 record.

Is some of that because the east underperforms or the west over performs? Another thing I look at is hit rate. 4 stars are cool, but if they don't develop. Then you have guys like Nic Carraway playing in the All-American bowl, but is only a 3 star. Why isn't he higher? Lastly, things can change between now and February. Portal has made high school recruiting less of a metric to judge on then ever.

Idk long story short, I take recruiting with a grain of salt because they don't match results always. Still interesting to look at.

Reactions: IndyGlen

OSU - 94.04
PSU - 90.87
UM - 89.27
Iowa - 88.36
IU - 87.86
Wisconsin- 87.25
MSU - 87.27
Rutgers - 87.12
Maryland - 86.77
Nebraska - 86.45
Northwestern- 86.42
Minnesota - 85.77
Illinois - 85.11

Off average star rankings, the East is still ahead of the west, but not as bad. Where I'm conflicted though is this recruiting dominance doesn't translate to division matchup dominance. It's still almost a .500 record.

Is some of that because the east underperforms or the west over performs? Another thing I look at is hit rate. 4 stars are cool, but if they don't develop. Then you have guys like Nic Carraway playing in the All-American bowl, but is only a 3 star. Why isn't he higher? Lastly, things can change between now and February. Portal has made high school recruiting less of a metric to judge on then ever.

Idk long story short, I take recruiting with a grain of salt because they don't match results always. Still interesting to look at.
Cue the Purdue fan (shocking) who still doesn't get it. The West doesn't overperform, they show their ass every year when playing the top dogs in the East. Wisconsin and Iowa beating the likes Rutgers and Maryland to average out the crossover record doesn't make the divisions equal. The talent disparity between the top 3-4 teams in the East and IU/Maryland/Rutgers is demonstrably larger than the talent disparity between the top 3-4 teams in the West and the bottom feeders of the West. It's entirely easier for a team like Purdue to navigate an annual schedule of Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, Northwestern, Illinois, and Nebraska than it is Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Michigan State, Rutgers, and Maryland because Purdue's overall talent composite of all the West division teams are similar.

You make this way harder than it needs to be.

Cue the Purdue fan (shocking) who still doesn't get it. The West doesn't overperform, they show their ass every year when playing the top dogs in the East. Wisconsin and Iowa beating the likes Rutgers and Maryland to average out the crossover record doesn't make the divisions equal. The talent disparity between the top 3-4 teams in the East and IU/Maryland/Rutgers is demonstrably larger than the talent disparity between the top 3-4 teams in the West and the bottom feeders of the West. It's entirely easier for a team like Purdue to navigate an annual schedule of Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, Northwestern, Illinois, and Nebraska than it is Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Michigan State, Rutgers, and Maryland because Purdue's overall talent composite of all the West division teams are similar.

In the last 5 years, Wisconsin is 3-2 vs Michigan. PSU consistently loses to the west. Got lucky they didn't go 0-3 this year. Haven't gone undefeated vs the west since 2018. MSU in the last 5 years has probably lost more than they have won vs the west. Not looking it up. OSU has as many losses to the west as the east?

So tell me again how the west shows their ass vs the top 4 of the east every year?

But also, I was talking about how it's hard to look at rankings as the metric as to why the east is better then the west, because rankings say it is more dominant than it is.

Reactions: Poprudy

This makes me feel so much better about losing every conference game.:(

Last edited:
Reactions: bodog57
It makes me feel better to know if we can keep this up with recruiting then we will know what the problem is if we keep losing.

If we keep recruiting at this rate, then our talent level shouldn't be an issue.

In the last 5 years, Wisconsin is 3-2 vs Michigan. PSU consistently loses to the west. Got lucky they didn't go 0-3 this year. Haven't gone undefeated vs the west since 2018. MSU in the last 5 years has probably lost more than they have won vs the west. Not looking it up. OSU has as many losses to the west as the east?

So tell me again how the west shows their ass vs the top 4 of the east every year?

But also, I was talking about how it's hard to look at rankings as the metric as to why the east is better then the west, because rankings say it is more dominant than it is.
In the last 5 years, B10 East top 4 teams vs the West division

OSU: 16-2
Michigan: 12-2
Penn State: 10-5
Michigan St: 7-7

That's a whopping record of 45-16. Kindly STFU and see your way out, Dude!

Geez Coach, thanks for explaining CTA‘s career record of 4-9 against the abysmally weak West and CJB’s 6-7 record versus the awesome East. btw, since 1988, IU is 1-27-1 against Ohio State and Purdue is 6-14. Since 1988 IU is 13-20 against some of the worst Purdue football teams in history.in the last 10 years OSU has lost 4 games to teams from the East and 2 to teams from the West. In their last 40 games they has lost 3 games. One to a team from the East and 2 from teams in the West. The Buckeyes worst two losses in the Big Ten since 1994 were by 31 points to Iowa in 2017 and 29 points to Purdue in 2018.

Last edited:
In the last 5 years, B10 East top 4 teams vs the West division

OSU: 16-2
Michigan: 12-2
Penn State: 10-5
Michigan St: 7-7

That's a whopping record of 45-16. Kindly STFU and see your way out, Dude!
Michigan a little better than I was thinking. But outside of those two, is what it is I guess. I'm not saying the west is better though, which I think you are.

Lots of big ten teams on the rise. Gonna be fun to see how it plays out over the next couple years

MSU having a few down years recently has made the divisions more even than expected. If recruiting is any indicator, then there will be more separation moving forward.
The west hasn't won a BIG championship in almost a decade. I dont see that changing soon either.

All things must pass.

OSU - 94.04
PSU - 90.87
UM - 89.27
Iowa - 88.36
IU - 87.86
Wisconsin- 87.25
MSU - 87.27
Rutgers - 87.12
Maryland - 86.77
Nebraska - 86.45
Northwestern- 86.42
Minnesota - 85.77
Illinois - 85.11

Not for nothing, but shouldn't someone from an engineering school know that 87.27 (MSU) ranks ahead of 87.25 (Wisconsin)?

C'mon, man! 😉

Geez Coach, thanks for explaining CTA‘s career record of 4-9 against the abysmally weak West and CJB’s 6-7 record versus the awesome East. btw, since 1988, IU is 1-27-1 against Ohio State and Purdue is 6-14. Since 1988 IU is 13-20 against some of the worst Purdue football teams in history.
He's played Ohio State and Michigan State twice and Michigan and Penn State only once in his 5 years at Purdue. He's 2-4 against the top 4 teams in the East. If Purdue played Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and Michigan State every year, his record would reflect as such. But that's the perk of playing in the West, you don't have to play Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and Michigan State every year, let alone all four of them, and in fact can go 5 years with only playing them once.

How do you guys multiply this quick? Each Purdue poster is more moronic than the last one.

Ummm...Delany started with Legends and Leaders, which was designed to be equal (more equal), but people made jokes, then we added RU and MD, so they changed again. People wanted 'easy to remember which team is in which division' so they pretty much got what they asked for and now here we are begging for it to change back to something that makes more sense, not just geographical.

I think whoever has OSU would win most championships so I don't think lopsided championships would change regardless of how divisions were broken up.
That doesn't mean anything. Switch Wisconsin and Ohio State, the two best teams in each division, and the East is still an astronomically tougher division.

Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin, Michigan State >>>>>>> Ohio State, Iowa, Minnesota, Northwestern.

I'd trade getting my brains beat in by Ohio State every year if it meant I got to play Iowa, Minnesota, and Northwestern every year instead of Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin, and MSU.

Ummm...Delany started with Legends and Leaders, which was designed to be equal (more equal), but people made jokes, then we added RU and MD, so they changed again. People wanted 'easy to remember which team is in which division' so they pretty much got what they asked for and now here we are begging for it to change back to something that makes more sense, not just geographical.

I thought most of the griping was due to the names that were picked rather than the split of teams. Could be wrong.

That doesn't mean anything. Switch Wisconsin and Ohio State, the two best teams in each division, and the East is still an astronomically tougher division.

Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin, Michigan State >>>>>>> Ohio State, Iowa, Minnesota, Northwestern.

I'd trade getting my brains beat in by Ohio State every year if it meant I got to play Iowa, Minnesota, and Northwestern every year instead of Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin, and MSU.

That wasn't my point. My point was that only pointing at championships didn't mean much.

That wasn't my point. My point was that only pointing at championships didn't mean much.
4 teams from the B10 East can claim that they've won a championship under the current alignment. Not one team from the West can make that claim. Sure Ohio State is going to win the championship more times than not, but it's not like Ohio State wins it every year. In the 8 years since realignment they've missed it three times and would have been a fourth last year had they not changed the rules at the 11th hour to accommodate them.

He's played Ohio State and Michigan State twice and Michigan and Penn State only once in his 5 years at Purdue. He's 2-4 against the top 4 teams in the East. If Purdue played Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and Michigan State every year, his record would reflect as such. But that's the perk of playing in the West, you don't have to play Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and Michigan State every year, let alone all four of them, and in fact can go 5 years with only playing them once.

How do you guys multiply this quick? Each Purdue poster is more moronic than the last one.
How did this become about Purdue?

Not for nothing, but shouldn't someone from an engineering school know that 87.27 (MSU) ranks ahead of 87.25 (Wisconsin)?

C'mon, man! 😉
How many of the almost 50,000 students at Purdue do you think are engineers? You are living in a far away world thinking engineering and agriculture represents a big percentage of Purdue students.

How many of the almost 50,000 students at Purdue do you think are engineers? You are living in a far away world thinking engineering and agriculture represents a big percentage of Purdue students.
No clue.

But every Purdue fan/alum I've encountered, non-engineering degree or not, won't shut up about the engineering school.

Also, if you didn't know, Neil Armstrong went to Purdue.

No clue.

But every Purdue fan/alum I've encountered, non-engineering degree or not, won't shut up about the engineering school.

Also, if you didn't know, Neil Armstrong went to Purdue.
I've never mentioned it actually. So every Purdue fan/alum-1 for you.

Literally..., No One Cares...! 🙄

Don't go away mad just freaking go away...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT