ADVERTISEMENT

Julian Lewis visiting May 31st

Coach Tino is the connection here and reason we have a small shot at landing him. He has known him since he was in Elementary school. Has IU ever had a 5 star QB even visit?

Coach Tino is the connection here and reason we have a small shot at landing him. He has known him since he was in Elementary school. Has IU ever had a 5 star QB even visit?
I thought I read somewhere that Dave Schnell was the top rated QB coming out of HS back in 1985? Back before the Star system we have now. He probably would have been a 5 star. He was highly sought after but Mallory got him to come to IU.

I believe SI had Dave Schnell as the #1 qb in their CFB Preview of ‘84. He definitely would have translated as 4-5 star. Don’t recall who else nationally was in that qb class, but know that Jeff George was a junior at Warren Central in ‘84 season and may have gotten the nod as the 1st team all-state selection at season’s end.

Mal got highly regarded Dave Schnell as qb in ‘85 and RB, AT in ‘86. Both outstanding HS players wanted by lots of big time schools at the time.

I heard Michigan had large groups of fans showing up at AT’s games wearing Blue & Gold and hoisting Michigan banners trying to sway him. Obviously didn’t work😄
Can confirm. I actually worked at a company in Terre Haute with a CFO who was a Michigan Alum & participated in trying to sway him to Michigan (legally) He was part of the local group that was showing up at games in maize & blue.

Can confirm. I actually worked at a company in Terre Haute with a CFO who was a Michigan Alum & participated in trying to sway him to Michigan (legally) He was part of the local group that was showing up at games in maize & blue.
Maybe that's why Bo dissed AT on his Heisman chances. Said something like "it's OK for a guy to get a bunch of yards when the game is out of reach, but I'd rather the guy that gets yards when the game is on the line". The reporter who printed that, then wrote, "Fair enough Bo, but if Thompson had run behind Michigan's offensive line, he'd have wrapped up the Heisman by November."

I don't even care that much if we get this guy. We have a good QB room.

Would be nice! Not saying otherwise... Just don't cripple the NIL funds for other positions.
It’s an interesting one. His NIL has to be $1M+, and I think IUFB’s total NIL availability is $3-4M? In the event he wanted to come to IU, I think Dolson and Cig may call around to some top donors for a special NIL raise, which perhaps they could do since it’s a compelling pitch (do you want the #1 QB?).

But as you said, we do have good QBs regardless and this kid is a long shot.

It’s an interesting one. His NIL has to be $1M+, and I think IUFB’s total NIL availability is $3-4M? In the event he wanted to come to IU, I think Dolson and Cig may call around to some top donors for a special NIL raise, which perhaps they could do since it’s a compelling pitch (do you want the #1 QB?).

Two things:

I can't fathom having that much $.

I can't fathom donating a big chunk of that $ for a kid to not be obligated to stay more than one year and see that $ flushed down the toilet.

Getting Lewis would mean most, if not all, the other QBs are gone via the transfer portal. I didn't think a guy like Lewis is going to come here to sit on the bench and the current QBs wouldn't want that either.

The world may change a lot after the NCAA settles the House case. By the 2025 season IU Athletics, like other P4 schools, should be working with a $20M school funded compensation cap. Clearly IUFB won't get it all but have to expect the portion will be greater than our current NIL $.

The world may change a lot after the NCAA settles the House case. By the 2025 season IU Athletics, like other P4 schools, should be working with a $20M school funded compensation cap. Clearly IUFB won't get it all but have to expect the portion will be greater than our current NIL $.
Over the next two years, the TV deals are going to send ~$30M more per year to IU and I wasn't sure where IU was going to spend all that money. Answer is probably a big chunk of it is going to revenue share.

I would guess players will have the school contracts (rev share) + NIL, much like a pro athlete.

We'll still have to contend with big schools and their NIL, but it should help us since the rev share is capped and we'll have the same rev share as the Ohio States of the world.

Say for instance $8M of the rev share is for FB. Right now IU FB NIL is optimistically around $4M and OSU is around $16M -- OSU has ~4x as much as IU to spend on players. If we add the rev share (capped at $8M), IU now has $12M ($8M rev share + $4M NIL) and OSU has $24M ($8M rev share + $16M NIL), so now OSU only has 2x as much as us, which is better than 4x. Not super exciting but it's an improved competitive position if it works at all like this.

Who knows. It's amazing how quickly things are changing and how chaotic the current NIL/xfer portal makes things.

Paying that kind of money to a freshman right out of high school, he better pan out. Just have to trust the judgment of our coaches. But as someone else said, he's a long shot anyway.
He won't be such a long shot if a sugar daddy/lady comes up with the money he wants. He loves the IU coaches and knows they will turn it around quick.

He won't be such a long shot if a sugar daddy/lady comes up with the money he wants. He loves the IU coaches and knows they will turn it around quick.
I have a couple armchair theories; (1) He is coming on a visit to convince a sugar daddy/mama to step up because he really wants to come here (2) someone has stepped up and he is coming to really think this through.

I don't really think he would come for a visit just for the heck of it.

I have a couple armchair theories; (1) He is coming on a visit to convince a sugar daddy/mama to step up because he really wants to come here (2) someone has stepped up and he is coming to really think this through.

Option 3 is he is visiting as a favor because of his longtime relationship with sunseri.

I am hoping for option 2.

Even if we don’t get the commitment, having him on campus opens the door for us if things don’t work out as he’d expect at USC. Relationships mean so much more in the transfer market. Fortunately, our QB situation seems to be as strong as I can remember so the sense of urgency is lessened.

Even if we don’t get the commitment, having him on campus opens the door for us if things don’t work out as he’d expect at USC. Relationships mean so much more in the transfer market. Fortunately, our QB situation seems to be as strong as I can remember so the sense of urgency is lessened.
I want him at IU because of the impact he will have on recruiting and on the field. QBs will have to rethink their efforts to be on the field if he comes so he elevates the QB room even more.

I want him at IU because of the impact he will have on recruiting and on the field. QBs will have to rethink their efforts to be on the field if he comes so he elevates the QB room even more.
Oh, don’t get me wrong, his commitment would be huge and I am so excited about the prospect. As you pointed out, the impact down the line would be huge, and I would love nothing more.

I hate to use the comparison because his polarizing approach will surely evoke a knee jerk response from the crowd. Yet, I would compare his commitment to Deion landing Travis Hunter. It got all the eyeballs shifting in his direction, and I think the publicity is a large part of why he is at CU. It provided instant legitimacy. Give a sharp coach like Cignetti that visibility and he will deliver.

I don't even care that much if we get this guy. We have a good QB room.

Would be nice! Not saying otherwise... Just don't cripple the NIL funds for other positions.
You should care that the #1 recruit (per ESPN) would choose to play at Indiana. The recruiting cache from that for a coaching staff in their first full recruiting cycle would be massive. I think if an opportunity like this comes around boosters would pay on top of normal NIL contributions to have that kind of profile.
Over the next two years, the TV deals are going to send ~$30M more per year to IU and I wasn't sure where IU was going to spend all that money. Answer is probably a big chunk of it is going to revenue share.
I hope the give a lot of it to the school to fund academics. In the new Big Ten Indiana's profile could be in for an uptick and there are rich folks willing to get a spot, alumni or not. National recognition in football and basketball will (should) be big for the Hoosiers so get those SEC-esque donations to the NIL funds.
Option 3 is he is visiting as a favor because of his longtime relationship with sunseri.

I am hoping for option 2.
It's because Georgia is off his list since they have a commit from a top 15 QB in his class and they got a commit from the #1 '26 QB. His OV to Georgia was originally scheduled the 31st-2nd, the weekend he's coming to Indiana. Lewis had an open weekend so why not come see his coach in Bloomington, official visit all paid for. Now, it increases my hopes an unreasonable amount despite what I just said and, who knows?, crazier things have happened.

I think you are right Tom. Given the imperative to be football-relevant to maintain your B1G media payment share, I'm betting IU has lined up the money. I wouldn't even be surprised if we outbid everyone else. IU needs to prove they are serious about football and this is a very visible way to do it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT