ADVERTISEMENT

JMU RB Ty Son Lawson to IU?

Underwhelming, to me. He doesn't look to have a lot of speed. But he is solidly built, cuts well, and makes himself hard to bring down.

If he didn't know their system I wouldn't understand this pickup. But he's certainly a capable back. Versatile. Knowing the system has to be an edge. I am hoping he's a good pass protector but I didn't see any highlights on that.

If coach is familiar with him and wants him, than I'm sure he can help us win. Hope he has a big year for the Hoosiers!

Underwhelming, to me. He doesn't look to have a lot of speed. But he is solidly built, cuts well, and makes himself hard to bring down.

If he didn't know their system I wouldn't understand this pickup. But he's certainly a capable back. Versatile. Knowing the system has to be an edge. I am hoping he's a good pass protector but I didn't see any highlights on that.

If coach is familiar with him and wants him, than I'm sure he can help us win. Hope he has a big year for the Hoosiers!
Only 1 year eligibility so not going to take up a scholarship for long if doesn't work out.

He was one of the big reasons they were able to beat South Alabama...

Provides solid depth and as you noted he's already familiar with the Offense to some degree (although I'd hope our OC is tweaking what he ran last year to reflect what he's up against next fall...)...

I only see Lawson's pickup as a one year positive but sure hate losing Savage to get him (if that's actually how it went down, who knows maybe Savage left first(?))...

Reactions: red hornet
He was one of the big reasons they were able to beat South Alabama...

Provides solid depth and as you noted he's already familiar with the Offense to some degree (although I'd hope our OC is tweaking what he ran last year to reflect what he's up against next fall...)...

I only see Lawson's pickup as a one year positive but sure hate losing Savage to get him (if that's actually how it went down, who knows maybe Savage left first(?))...
I think the guys coming back is what turned Savage. Not this guy.

Reactions: Vern Pain and 76-1
I am sure coach knows more about his character, football smarts and leadership than we can see in videos. You can bring staff as leadership to a team but bringing players as leaders also seems important to me during a transition. Granted he is bringing a few guys from JMU but this young man is an adult. At this point he could have been tired of football and tired of making another move but he wanted to keep playing and followed this staff for a reason. They want him for a reason. It may not totally be on ability but don't discount trust and leadership on and off the field.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT