ADVERTISEMENT

IU @ Xavier: IU gets big Q1 road win, 8-6...

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
It will be LHP Ty Bothwell on the mound to start the game with an ERA of 9.28 in 10.2. As usual, it will be Serruto behind the plate and Mathison is the DH. There's a change in the lineup with Murrison in RF in his first start of the season and he will hit in the No. 9 spot. Cerny will be batting in the No. 7 spot with Serruto in the No. 8 spot, with the rest of the batting order the same as it's been for most of the season.

On the mound for Xavier is RHP Sam Boyle with an ERA of 7.11 in 12.2 IP.

It's 75 degrees, sunny, with a light breeze blowing out toward RF.

1st Inning:

T1st:

Glasser walked on four pitches to lead off. Glasser then reached 2nd on an error on a pickoff attempt.

Whalen fouled out for the 1st out.

Taylor, who is back home again for the 2nd time this season, K'd on a full count for two outs.

Tibbitts then hit a two-run homer to left center to give IU a 2-0 lead.

Mathison K'd to retire the side.

B1st:

The leadoff hitter reached on a single. Bothwell then got a K for the first out.

A GO sent the runner to 2nd with two outs. Another K ended the inning and Bothwell who has struggled this season, is off to a good start and he got two K's in the inning including one against their best hitter.

IU 2 Xavier 0

Last edited:
2nd Inning:

T2nd:

It's the 6-8 hitters up and Pyne led off with a solo homer to LF to make it 3-0.

Cerny K'd but reached 1st on a WP. Serruto hit into a DP for two outs.

Murrison lined out to SS.

B2nd:

It's the 5 thru 7 hitters up. Bothwell got the leadoff hitter on a flyout.

Bothwell then gave up a homer to make it 3-1 with one out. Whalen caught a fly against the wall in CF for two outs, but then went down with some kind of injury. Whalen was able to shake it off and return to his position. It was explained that this is a hitter friendly park with a lot of homers hit there, with the fences fairly close in.

Bothwell got another K to end the inning.

IU 3 Xavier 1

3rd inning:

T3rd:

It was the top of the order up for IU with Glasser leading off. Glasser walked for the 2nd time in two at-bats.

Whalen hit into the 2nd DP of the game by Xavier for two outs.

Taylor was hit by a pitch and then Tibbitts clubbed his 2nd homer of the game to give IU a 5-1 lead with two outs.

Mathison grounded out to retire the side. The Xavier pitcher has given up 3 hits, all homers.

B3rd:

It's the 9 thru 2 hitters up. Bothwell got his 4th strikeout of the day for the first out.

Bothwell hit a batter to put a runner on with one out. A GO sent the runner to 2nd with two outs.

Bothwell then walked a batter on a full count after several foul balls to put runners on 1st and 2nd with two outs and Xavier's top hitter up in the No. 4 spot.

A pop up to Pyne at 3rd end the inning with no damage done and IU coaches have to be happy to get 3 innings so far out of Bothwell.

IU 5 Xavier 1

4th Inning:

T4th:

It's the 6-8 hitters up and Xavier goes to the bullpen to bring in LHP Jack Niedringhaus with an ERA of 1.93 in 9.1 IP.

Pyne flied out to the wall for the 1st out.

Cerny then clubbed IU's fourth homer of the game to make it 6-1 IU with one out.

Serruto then singled for IU's first hit of the game that wasn't a homer with one out.

Murrison reached on a FC with Serruto out at 2nd for two outs.

It's the top of the order up. Glasser walked for the 3rd time in a row to put runners on 1st and 2nd with two outs.

Murrison scored from 2nd on an error by the pitcher with Glasser reaching 3rd and still two outs.

Whalen grounded out to retire the side with IU adding two runs to their lead.

B4th:

IU replaced Bothwell with RHP Adrian Vega with an ERA of 6.35 in 17 IP.

It's the 5-7 hitters up for Xavier. A single and then a throwing error on the play by Vega allowed the runner to reach 2nd.

Vega then got a K for the 1st out and the runner at 2nd.

A GO advanced the runner to 3rd and two outs.

A two-out, two-run homer made it 7-3, and it was the batter's first hit in over a month.

A pop up to 1B ended the inning.

IU 7 Xavier 3

5th Inning:

T5th:

It's the 3-5 hitters up and Taylor grounded out for the first out.

Tibbitts then walked on four pitches to put a runner on and one out.

With Mathison up, Xavier went to the bullpen to bring in RHP Connor Bailey with an ERA of 7.11 in 12.2 IP.

Mathison doubled to put runners on 2nd and 3rd with one out.

A SF by Pyne scored Tibbitts with Mathison taking 3rd.

An infield pop up by Cerny retired the side.

B5th:

It's the top of the order up for Xavier. RHP Wes Burton replaced Vega and he has an ERA of 4.15 in 13 IP.

Burton walked the leadoff hitter. Burton then walked another hitter with both on 3-1 counts and Mercer didn't waste anytime going to the bullpen and brought in RHP Connor Foley with an ERA of 4.42 in 18.1.

Foley faced the No. 3 hitter with runners on 1st and 2nd and no outs.

An infield hit loaded the bases with no outs and Xavier's best hitter up.

Foley then got two huge back-to-back Ks against good hitters to keep the bases loaded and two outs.

Cerny got a pop out at 2B for the final out and ended the inning, and Foley was able to leave the bases loaded after there was no outs in an outstanding pitching performance.

IU 8 Xavier 3

Reactions: Bucket Getter
6th Inning:

T6th:

It's the 8 thru 1 hitters up. Serruto K'd, Murrison fouled out, Glasser was hit by a pitch, and Whalen fouled out to retire the side.

B6th:

Foley was back out there to face the bottom of the order. Foley K'd the first two batters and then hit a batter on the hand on a check swing to put a runner on with two outs and the top of the order up.

A flyout ended the inning.

IU 8 Xavier 3

7th Inning:

T7th:

With the 3-5 hitters up, IU went down in order.

B7th:

RHP Gabe Levy with an ERA of 9.11 in 14.2 IP relieved Foley and he put them down in order on just four pitches.

IU 8 Xavier 3

Reactions: TomEric4756
8th Inning:

T8th:

It's the 6-8 hitters up for IU and they go down in order.

B8th:

Levy was back out there to face the 5 thru 7 hitters. Levy walked the leadoff man.

A pop out to Tibbitts resulted in the first out with the runner still at 1st.

A hitter reached first on an infield hit on a controversial play that had Mercer upset and out on the field, but the call held up with runners on 1st and 2nd with one out.

A triple that hit the top of the wall, scored two runs with a runner on 3rd and one out, and that was it for Levy who cruised in the previous inning but ran into problems in this inning.

RHP Brayden Risedorph with en ERA of 5.19 in 34.2 IP came iin. A SF scored the runner from 3rd with the bases empty and two outs.

A single and a K ended the inning.

IU 8 Xavier 6

9th Inning:

T9th:

It was the 9 thru 2 hitters up and Xavier brings in their top reliever in RHP Justin Loer with an ERA of 2.18 in 45.1 IP.

Murrison grounded out for the first out and the top of the order up.

Glasser flied out just short of the wall for the 2nd out and no one on. Whalen grounded out to retire the side.

B9th:

It's the heart of the order up in the 3-5 hitters with Risedorph back out there to try to close it out.

Risedorph got the leadoff hitter on a GO.

Risedorph then got a K for the 2nd out against the best of the Xavier hitters.

A GO ends the game in a big Q1 road win.

IU 8 Xavier 6 (Final)

It was one of the more important midweek games for IU with Xavier being a Q1 resume game, and Coach Mercer indicated before the game that all pitchers were available today with the exception of Kraft and Yoho. He used just two pitchers that are part of the bullpen rotation on weekends in Foley and Risedorph and they pitched a combined 3.2 innings of the game, with the backend of the bullpen pitching the rest of the game with good to not so good results. The long ball won this game for IU.

IU was 6 for 31 for a team batting average of .194 with four of the hits homers and a fifth hit a double. Xavier was 8 for 34 and a team average of .235 and they had two homers and a triple.

IU had just one multi-hit player and here are some of the hitting stats:

Tibbitts: 2 of 3 with two homers, 4 RBIs, and 3 runs scored.
Pyne: 1 of 3 with a homer, 2 RBIs, and he scored a run.
Cerny: 1 of 4 with a homer.
Mathison: 1 of 4 with a double.
Glasser: He had just one official at-bat and showed a good eye with three walks and he scored a run.

Xavier had two errors to one error for IU.

Pitching was mostly good to great with some bumps in the road in the middle innings. Bothwell opened the game, and he gave Mercer three good innings which is an optimistic sign after a less than stellar start to the season. Foley faced a huge problem in the 5th with the bases loaded and no outs after Burton walked the first two batters of the inning, and then a batter reached on an infield hit after Foley came in, but he K'd two straight batters and then got a pop up to leave the bases loaded. Levy had a great 7th retiring the side on just four pitches, but ran into problems in the 8th that required Risedorph to come in and finish out the game.

Bothwell: 3.0 IP, 2 hits to include a solo homer, 1 run that was earned, 4 Ks, 1 BB, and 1 hit batter.

Vega: 1.0 IP, 2 hits to include a two-run homer, 2 runs which were earned, 1K, and no BBs.

Burton: 0.0 IP, faced just two batters and both were walks. Not charged any runs thanks to Foley.

Foley: 2.0 IP, 1 hit, no runs, 4 Ks, no BBs and 1 hit batter.

Levy: 1.1 IP, 2 hits to include a triple, 3 runs all earned, no Ks, and 1 BB.

Risedorph: 1.2 IP, 1 hit, no runs, 2 Ks, no BBs, and the rest of the slate was clean.

Last edited:
Here's the scores of other B1G games tonight.

MSU 11 EMU 10 (10) - The Spartans go extra innings to knock off in-state foe.

UIC 7 Purdue 3 - Q3 team beats Q4 team leading up to the IU weekend series.

OSU 13 Central Michigan 5 - The Buckeyes went 2-0 in midweek games this week.

UNO 16 PSU 3 - PSU traveled all the way out to Omaha to get demolished by a team with a 260 RPI.

IU finished the night with a RPI of 31 moving up three spots. There is just one game out west going on and it is New Mex St/Utah and it's in extra innings, and it's unlikely to affect IU's position tonight.

Last edited:
Glad you guys are all impressed getting six hits off literally Xavier's worst pitchers. This was X's fifth game in six days and they literally threw only bad pitchers as they had used their good ones in the previous four games. From the live stats I saw IU hit four home runs which is nice but can't be counted on. Outside of that, to get two hits in nine innings of baseball against literally the back end of a bullpen does not bode well for our offensive prospectives going forward.

I will give Mercer credit for throwing two of his better arms late in a close game they really needed to win. However, our coach who is a hitting guy can't teach plate approach well enough to have more than two solid non-home run hits in nine innings against struggling pitchers. If that impresses you guys, enjoy. I however, have higher standards for talented hitters and expect a coach who specializes in hitting to teach better than that.

You guys can settle for mediocrity with Mercer. I meanwhile will watch Shonda Stanton have her hitters kill it at the plate today and get to see a real coach who is a hitting person and actually teaches it correctly.

I will keep saying it that baseball wins on talent, but the coaching and development at the plate is unacceptable and this is coming with a guy who is known for teaching hitting. Glad everyone else on here is impressed because I certainly am not.

Glad you guys are all impressed getting six hits off literally Xavier's worst pitchers. This was X's fifth game in six days and they literally threw only bad pitchers as they had used their good ones in the previous four games. From the live stats I saw IU hit four home runs which is nice but can't be counted on. Outside of that, to get two hits in nine innings of baseball against literally the back end of a bullpen does not bode well for our offensive prospectives going forward.

I will give Mercer credit for throwing two of his better arms late in a close game they really needed to win. However, our coach who is a hitting guy can't teach plate approach well enough to have more than two solid non-home run hits in nine innings against struggling pitchers. If that impresses you guys, enjoy. I however, have higher standards for talented hitters and expect a coach who specializes in hitting to teach better than that.

You guys can settle for mediocrity with Mercer. I meanwhile will watch Shonda Stanton have her hitters kill it at the plate today and get to see a real coach who is a hitting person and actually teaches it correctly.

I will keep saying it that baseball wins on talent, but the coaching and development at the plate is unacceptable and this is coming with a guy who is known for teaching hitting. Glad everyone else on here is impressed because I certainly am not.
Go away. You’re a miserable turd.

Mercer's managing is a hell of lot better than your predictions (X 13 IU 2). Or was that the score you were hoping of.

Reactions: Palmbeachhoosier
Mercer's managing is a hell of lot better than your predictions (X 13 IU 2). Or was that the score you were hoping of.
That was with the assumption IU would throw the back end of their bullpen. If you had told me Bothwell would get back to himself and they were going to throw Foley and Risedorph I would have said 6-2 Xavier.

I did nail that Mercer would make the back end of the Xavier bullpen look pretty good. Only two hits outside of those Home Runs is pretty pathetic given what they were facing. Take those out and my modified 6-2 Xavier prediction would have hit the nail on the head.

A few home runs and Mercer doing the correct thing and throwing better pitchers messed me up a bit and I admit that. The fact my prediction was much closer than it should have been underscores my point and how bad a coach we have. The fact Mercer making the back end of their bullpen look good for the most part was dead on and that REALLY CONCERNS me moving forward and IT SHOULD CONCERN ALL OF YOU.

As I have said this squad can win on talent but the approach Mercer teaches at the plate is beyond pathetic.

Last edited:
That was with the assumption IU would throw the back end of their bullpen. If you had told me Bothwell would get back to himself and they were going to throw Foley and Risedorph I would have said 6-2 Xavier.

I did nail that Mercer would make the back end of the Xavier bullpen look pretty good. Only two hits outside of those Home Runs is pretty pathetic given what they were facing. Take those out and my modified 6-2 Xavier prediction would have hit the nail on the head.

A few home runs and Mercer doing the correct thing and throwing better pitchers messed me up a bit and I admit that. The fact my prediction was much closer than it should have been underscores my point and how bad a coach we have. The fact Mercer making the back end of their bullpen look good for the most part was dead on and that REALLY CONCERNS me moving forward and IT SHOULD CONCERN ALL OF YOU.

As I have said this squad can win on talent but the approach Mercer teaches at the plate is beyond pathetic.
Wow, did you break your arm patting yourself on the back on that one?

Seems kind of like dismissing a basketball win by saying "if it weren't for all of those made 3-pointers, we wouldn't have won". As if making 3-pointers/hitting HRs isn't a skill that's part of the game.

You're truly a piece of work.

I’ve gotta admit, I can’t quite figure out how old you are. But I’m fairly certain you’re either 12 or 82. Amiright?

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Then go ahead and tell the world: what did he do to hurt you so deeply?
I have told you many times what he has done to hurt me and other IU baseball fans. Mercer took a team that was a regular postseason team under Smith and Lemonis and was the best in the league and has made it worse. Clearly most people understand as attendance has been way down last couple years. He has been past in the league very quickly by Maryland, Michigan, and Iowa, and has Rutgers and Illinois nipping at his heels. Almost half the league has done better than him in three short years after being the most successful team in the league under the previous regimes.

He forgot to bring in good hitters in 2021 and collapsed down down the stretch in what should have been sure Regional Team. He then hires Dustin Glant who under his watch has the worst ERA in program history. Instead of getting ridding of him as a normal coach would in that circumstance, he brings him back. Pitching is somewhat better but Glant still can't develop long starters (outside of Sinnard) like a normal pitching coach. Also, as a hitting guy, the lack of discipline at the plate from Mercer teams is disgusting and opponents pitcher has a career game far to often.

Mercer is a great recruiter and as a result can win some on talent. However, if you think his development of hitters is good (it is actually terrible) and he manages correctly situationally in game (which is mediocre at best) then you are all blind.

I try not to settle for mediocrity or worse under him when previous regimes won huge. If you guys like what you are seeing enjoy it. I expect better.

I have told you many times what he has done to hurt me and other IU baseball fans. Mercer took a team that was a regular postseason team under Smith and Lemonis and was the best in the league and has made it worse. Clearly most people understand as attendance has been way down last couple years. He has been past in the league very quickly by Maryland, Michigan, and Iowa, and has Rutgers and Illinois nipping at his heels. Almost half the league has done better than him in three short years after being the most successful team in the league under the previous regimes.

He forgot to bring in good hitters in 2021 and collapsed down down the stretch in what should have been sure Regional Team. He then hires Dustin Glant who under his watch has the worst ERA in program history. Instead of getting ridding of him as a normal coach would in that circumstance, he brings him back. Pitching is somewhat better but Glant still can't develop long starters (outside of Sinnard) like a normal pitching coach. Also, as a hitting guy, the lack of discipline at the plate from Mercer teams is disgusting and opponents pitcher has a career game far to often.

Mercer is a great recruiter and as a result can win some on talent. However, if you think his development of hitters is good (it is actually terrible) and he manages correctly situationally in game (which is mediocre at best) then you are all blind.

I try not to settle for mediocrity or worse under him when previous regimes won huge. If you guys like what you are seeing enjoy it. I expect better.
You sound like a 12 year old with some of your statements.

Reactions: hookyIU1990

Is it time to fire Stanton now only 2 non homeruns in 9 innings from the best offense in the BIG. Come on Dude that is ridiculous. Congrats and good luck to the softball team and hopefully with a little luck we may be able to maybe share a BIG regular season title. Go Hoosiers.

Reactions: baileyiu
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT