ADVERTISEMENT

IU@Evansville: Pitching woes contribute to another loss with UE winning 8-4...

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
In the 1st, Whalen grounded out, Glasser was HBP, and Ellis singled to put runners on the corners with one out, but Pyne hit into a DP to end IU's half of the inning.

Nathan Stahl is on the mound for IU and he hit the first batter he faced which is the 50th HBP for IU this season. Stahl then got two Ks and the runner on 1st was caught stealing to end the 1st.

In the 2nd, IU went down in order

In UE's 2nd, a couple of singles to leadoff put runners on the corners, and a run scored on a fielder's choice. Two more walks by Stahl chases him and he is replaced by Bothwell who has struggle out of the bullpen. A WP scored the 2nd run of the inning to make it 2-0 with the bases loaded. Bothwell ended the inning with a K, but walks hurt IU again which has become a theme for the season so far.

In the 3rd, Whalen hit a 2-out homer down the LF line to make it 2-1, UE. Glasser then hit a ground rule double with two outs, but Ellis struck out to end IU's 3rd.

In UE's 3rd, Bothwell starts the inning off with a walk to the leadoff man. Bothwell then got a foul out for the 1st out with the runner still on 1st. The K and a caught stealing at 2nd ends the inning.

Reactions: mk30
In the 4th, Tibbetts singled up the middle with one out. A single down the RF line by Mathison put runners on 1st and 2nd with one out. A force out at 3rd got the lead runner for the 2nd out. A ground out ended IU half of the inning.

In UE's 4th, Ryan Kraft replaced Bothwell, and he got the first two batters, but then walked the third batter to put a man on. An error on the pitcher on a pop fly put runners on 1st and 2nd with two outs. A strike out ended the inning.

In the 5th, IU goes down in order. IU has outhit the Aces, 5 to 2, but trail 2-1.

In the B5th, Modugno replaces Kraft and he is another pitcher that has struggled out of the bullpen. Modugno got a K to start the inning, but then gave up a single when a ball was hit off of Modugno's ankle and no one could get to it. Modugno then gave up a no-doubt homer down the RF line that was crushed and just like that, IU is down 4-1. A two-out walk put a man on, but a K ended the inning.

In the 6th, IU got a leadoff single by Ellis. Pyne hit into his 2nd DP of the game. Tibbets flied out to end IU's 6th.

Modugno got two Ks before giving up a walk which is IU's 7th BB of the game, a huge problem with this pitching staff. An error at SS put runners on 1st and 2nd, and then a 3-run homer made it 7-1, UE. We should have been out of the inning before the homer was hit. Modugno then gave up a single. Sharp replaced Modugno, so we replaced a struggling pitcher with another struggling pitcher. I don't know how many two-out runs we have given up this season, but it's been a bunch. The runner on 1st then stole 2nd. A K ended the inning.

IU's 7th started with a ground out and Murrison then singled to put a man on with one out. A pop up and a K ended IU's half of the inning.

In the B7th, Sharp walked the leadoff batter, but then got the next two batters on Ks. He then hit a batter which is IU's 2nd HBP this game. A ground out ended the inning.

In the 8th, we had the bases loaded on walks, but two Ks and a ground out ended IU's half of the inning with nothing to show for it.

In the B8th, Brian Gaffney replaced Sharp on the mound and he hit the first batter he faced, IU's 3rd HBP this game. He then moved the runner on 1st all of the way to 3rd on two WPs. Gaffney got the 1st out on a grounder to SS. He then allowed the runner on 3rd to score on another WP, his third of the inning. So, Gaffney hits the leadoff batter and then scores him on three WPs -- just great. Gaffney then walked the next batter and Mercer brings in Holderfield. Gaffney has not pitched at all this season and it didn't work out very well tonight. Holderfield got IU out of the inning with no further damage, but he did hit a batter, the 2nd one this inning and the 4th for the game.

In the 9th, after the leadoff man struck out, IU put two on with walks. Both runners advance to 2nd and 3rd on a WP. Whalen popped up for the 2nd out. Glasser singled to score both runners to make it 8-3. WP moves Glasser to 2nd. Ellis singled to score Glasser to make it 8-4 with two outs. The Aces go to their bullpen to try to get that elusive 3rd out. Pyne then singled to put runners on 1st and 2nd, and a ground out ended the game.

The same pitching woes that has plagued IU's pitching staff continued in this game. IU outhit the Aces 10-6 but the Aces made the most of their hits with two homers accounting for five runs. IU should have been out of the inning in the 6th when a 3-run homer was hit as it came after a two-out walk and an error by the SS kept the inning going. Our pitching staff can certainly get the Ks with 14 of them tonight, but the walks, hit batters, and WPs canceled the Ks out in this game. We gave up 9 BBs, 4 HBPs, and 4 WPs tonight. We went from 49 HBP on the season to B1G leading 53 by the end of this game and we added to our B1G lead in giving up walks which are now at 160. We again had another 9th inning rally, but the deficit was too much to make up. We hit into two DPs which didn't help much.

Last edited:
If we weren't sure about this season going South, the last 3 games have sadly solidified those thoughts. Very disappointing to say the least. I know we have some nice prospects and players but I hate it that we are wasting some great efforts of our transfers. Sorry if I missed it but what has happened to Morgan Colopy?

If we weren't sure about this season going South, the last 3 games have sadly solidified those thoughts. Very disappointing to say the least. I know we have some nice prospects and players but I hate it that we are wasting some great efforts of our transfers. Sorry if I missed it but what has happened to Morgan Colopy?
I believe he tweaked a hamstring in an earlier game while beating a throw to 1st if my memory is correct. He may still be bothered by it and they have kept him out of the last 2-3 games counting tonight. That is what I believe happened, but I haven't seen anything on it. Maybe someone knows more about it than what I do and they can enlighted us.

Reactions: 82IU
Evansville is barely hanging on to D1 status, but they have no problem with a former B1G power. The fall from grace has been spectacular.
Evansville has been on a mini winning streak at five games and they just swept Michigan St. at home in a three-game series, so things have been going their way lately. Regardless, our loss to them was more about us and not them as they took advantage of our mistakes to include the pitching problems and they got clutch hits to include the homers when needed. Their pitchers did not have great ERAs coming into this game, but with the exception of Whalen's homer, we just didn't string much together at the plate until late. I might add that the Aces ranked No. 20 in the country in turning DPs and they got two more against us to snuff out scoring opportunities.

Evansville has been on a mini winning streak at five games and they just swept Michigan St. at home in a three-game series, so things have been going their way lately. Regardless, our loss to them was more about us and not them as they took advantage of our mistakes to include the pitching problems and they got clutch hits to include the homers when needed. Their pitchers did not have great ERAs coming into this game, but with the exception of Whalen's homer, we just didn't string much together at the plate until late. I might add that the Aces ranked No. 20 in the country in turning DPs and they got two more against us to snuff out scoring opportunities.
So the Aces are still halfway decent at something? I grew up down there when they were elite in mens soccer and pretty darn good in basketball with Jim Crews. I vaguely remember watching Andy Benes pitch once at Bosse Field. Hope the Hoosiers can pull it together.

Reactions: mk30 and ptrich
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT