ADVERTISEMENT

Is your life better than it was 2 years ago?

disagree. and i don't pin it on a party etc. but when the price of a car is what it is and a house is what it is our economic development is not trending to the positive. it's trending to a larger gap. my dad got back from vietnam. drove a dump truck while he went to school and my mom stayed home and we had two nice cars and a nice little house in a great part of town. that wouldn't happen today. not a chance in that same town.

as i said this is a big ten university website. hardly representative
Like I said, there are temporary disruptions. I'm just saying the overall trend tends to be positive year after year. Usually, when someone claims to be worse off than they were before, they are probably lying. Or, not really lying, but letting their political perceptions color their reality.

Sometimes, it's true, of course. A lot of people were genuinely worse off in the middle of the great recession. I remember the shrinking bank account at the restaurant. We had to lay someone off in the kitchen for financial reasons. I'm sure her life wasn't great at that point. The boss was under a lot of stress to stay above water. But then the recession ended, as they tend to do, and it's mostly been better each year since. He ended up selling the restaurant for more than he ever put into it. The girl we had to lay off eventually found another job and has had a very successful career since then.

It's sort of like crime. Yeah, it goes up and down at times. On a short scale, it's easy to look at periods of time and say, "crime is up, the country is a dangerous place," but when you zoom out, we're basically living in the safest, most peaceful time in history. Short-lived spikes are just blips on a long downward trend.

Reactions: UncleMark
...I'm no longer ashamed and aghast over the occupant of the Oval Office.
^^^ Where Mark implies he has couth, even though he knows we read his other posts. ;)

Using the rough categories you've referenced, I'd say my personal/family status is 'same as it ever was.'
  • Finances are a wash; salary, bonus, and options are up while overall portfolio is down; cash accounts are full
  • Work is a wash; stress is up and total hours are up; discontinuity reigns as open positions are hard to backfill and we have a corporate culture that rewards frequent internal job-hopping; merit still has life, though, as I took a hard won advancement last year
  • Politics is a wash; Trump is out and the representative republic isn't being imploded by right-wing boogey(wo)men; COVID is over, but cities are now roamed by even more deranged, homicidal zombies with no respect for human life and property; abortion battle has new life; cop-killing on the rise; my Silent Generation father has become unable to have a calm political discussion
  • Sacrifices...no, but I started crafting an artificial environment of scarcity 20 years ago because my wife is allergic to the word "budget"

Last edited:
This question was raised in another thread yesterday. It gave me pause, since with inflation and gasoline and the stock market and on and on the most common answer would presumably be an emphatic No! -- but that's not the case with me. Sure, groceries are up, but we still eat good. Gas is up, but I'm not driving any less. My meager portfolio is down 22%, but I won't need any of that money for a long while (hopefully) so there's plenty of time for it to come back.

And that's just the financial stuff. My work situation -- such as it is -- is actually rather enjoyable rather than stressful and frustrating and full of dread. Me and the wife still get along fine, each doing our things while each of us take care of what needs to be done to make things work. I'm still doing a bit of volunteer work that occasionally gives me the impression I might be doing a little good (although that could be a figment of my imagination). And on the politics side, while I'm not happy with a lot of what's going on, I'm no longer ashamed and aghast over the occupant of the Oval Office.

So how about it, people? As much as we like to bitch and moan, I don't think many of us have had to deal with much adversity or make a lot of sacrifices in the last two years. Have any of you had to significantly change the way you live? Are you better off or worse off in your day to day living than you were two years ago? And no matter how you answer, to what/whom do you attribute that change?
No, Biden sucks. The only good thing about Biden is my EX is losing money.

^^^ Where Mark implies he has couth, even though he knows he read his other posts. ;)

Using the rough categories you've referenced, I'd say my personal/family status is 'same as it ever was.'
  • Finances are a wash; salary, bonus, and options are up while overall portfolio is down; cash accounts are full
  • Work is a wash; stress is up and total hours are up; discontinuity reigns as open positions are hard to backfill and we have a corporate culture that rewards frequent internal job-hopping; merit still has life, though, as I took a hard won advancement last year
  • Politics is a wash; Trump is out and the representative republic isn't being imploded by right-wing boogey(wo)men; COVID is over, but cities are now roamed by even more deranged, homicidal zombies with no respect for human life and property; abortion battle has new life; cop-killing on the rise; my Silent Generation father has become unable to have a calm political discussion
  • Sacrifices...no, but I started crafting an artificial environment of scarcity 20 years ago because my wife is allergic to the word "budget"
Nice

Not everyone views the entire universe through partisan glasses like you do.

I was more successful under Trump than I was under Obama. So far, I've been more successful under Biden than I was under Trump. I doubt it has anything to do with who is in the White House.
If I recall your life time line, under Obama you had just started law school. Under trump you passed the bar on your third attempt. Now under Biden you are running a restaurant, and being pretty damn happy (and successful) doing so, right?
I don’t think your stages of changing adulthood has a correlation to who was in the White House effecting your growth.
Would you have been a successful restaurant manager under trump, Obama, GWBusch? Nixon?

If I recall your life time line, under Obama you had just started law school. Under trump you passed the bar on your third attempt. Now under Biden you are running a restaurant, and being pretty damn happy (and successful) doing so, right?
I don’t think your stages of changing adulthood has a correlation to who was in the White House effecting your growth.
Would you have been a successful restaurant manager under trump, Obama, GWBusch? Nixon?
That's not exactly an accurate timeline, but yes, my point is that my success has generally been unrelated to who is in the Oval Office. I suspect that's true for most of us.

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
^^^ Where Mark implies he has couth, even though he knows we read his other posts. ;)

I feel you should post more.

Do you guys get to take an alimony deduction against your poor people subsidy tax? And does it stack? More failed marriages means more deduction?
Last week was tax week. I don’t want to think about it. I could start a blog on how not to live. Divorced Dad Dumb Dad. My video games came. Got the new call of duty ready to go. Lots of treats. Amped up. And just as I was telling my daughter “get ready” she got a call from a rotten friend and all I heard was “IM ABOUT TO GET STURDY” then she ran out the door to the kid down the street’s house. I looked it up. Sturdy is a dance. So that’s good. At least. But now I’m bored

Agree. Those that blame everything good or bad in their life on the president are not living in reality.

Fortunate that both the wife and I have steady good paying jobs. We live below our means and while our bills are up, so our incomes. I've been banking all my raises for years so I don't miss the money. Things get real bad I'll cut back on savings.

If things are so bad for some of you, go back to school or go learn a trade. If you have to, take a second job. Just quit whining about your quality of life.
Since my first response to you was deleted by the hall monitor. How about you start realizing the whole world doesnt revolve around you and the dumb decisions you made in the voting +

Last week was tax week. I don’t want to think about it. I could start a blog on how not to live. Divorced Dad Dumb Dad. My video games came. Got the new call of duty ready to go. Lots of treats. Amped up. And just as I was telling my daughter “get ready” she got a call from a rotten friend and all I heard was “IM ABOUT TO GET STURDY” then she ran out the door to the kid down the street’s house. I looked it up. Sturdy is a dance. So that’s good. At least. But now I’m bored
You already got the games, get a baggie of shrooms and six 2-liters of Dew, and you're ready to go.

That's not exactly an accurate timeline, but yes, my point is that my success has generally been unrelated to who is in the Oval Office. I suspect that's true for most of us.
But your response was a direct answer to a question based on who is in the White House.
although factual on the statements, there’s much obvious intended obfuscation.
law school did you well, toward a life in politics, or never accurately answering a direct quest. Not there’s any difference in the two.

But your response was a direct answer to a question based on who is in the White House.
although factual on the statements, there’s much obvious intended obfuscation.
law school did you well, toward a life in politics, or never accurately answering a direct quest. Not there’s any difference in the two.
Yes, it was a direct answer, and my answer was, "It doesn't matter that much."

Since my first response to you was deleted by the hall monitor. How about you start realizing the whole world doesnt revolve around you and the dumb decisions you made in the voting +
Our problems are global in nature and the inflation we are fighting goes beyond just too much money injected into the economy. We have a crap ton of supply side issues that no amount of interest rate increases will fix.

I truly feel bad for those struggling, although my sympathy has limits for many in this board who so often look down on others like migrants, the working poor, etc.

Hope things improve for you.

A lot of truth in that. For some reason I’ve been getting Nextdoor email postings lately. There are a lot of people hurting out there. The Foodbank is the busiest ever. Homelessness is a significant issue. Of course overlaying all of that is drugs and alcohol. Not all of it can be traced to bad policy, but some of it can. Especially in the energy sector.

This question was raised in another thread yesterday. It gave me pause, since with inflation and gasoline and the stock market and on and on the most common answer would presumably be an emphatic No! -- but that's not the case with me. Sure, groceries are up, but we still eat good. Gas is up, but I'm not driving any less. My meager portfolio is down 22%, but I won't need any of that money for a long while (hopefully) so there's plenty of time for it to come back.

And that's just the financial stuff. My work situation -- such as it is -- is actually rather enjoyable rather than stressful and frustrating and full of dread. Me and the wife still get along fine, each doing our things while each of us take care of what needs to be done to make things work. I'm still doing a bit of volunteer work that occasionally gives me the impression I might be doing a little good (although that could be a figment of my imagination). And on the politics side, while I'm not happy with a lot of what's going on, I'm no longer ashamed and aghast over the occupant of the Oval Office.

So how about it, people? As much as we like to bitch and moan, I don't think many of us have had to deal with much adversity or make a lot of sacrifices in the last two years. Have any of you had to significantly change the way you live? Are you better off or worse off in your day to day living than you were two years ago? And no matter how you answer, to what/whom do you attribute that change?
Yes. Considerably better.

Reactions: hoosboot
Our problems are global in nature and the inflation we are fighting goes beyond just too much money injected into the economy. We have a crap ton of supply side issues that no amount of interest rate increases will fix.

I truly feel bad for those struggling, although my sympathy has limits for many in this board who so often look down on others like migrants, the working poor, etc.

Hope things improve for you.
what a tool

• Love
Reactions: ulrey and Lucy01
disagree. and i don't pin it on a party etc. but when the price of a car is what it is and a house is what it is and college is what it is our economic development is not trending to the positive. it's trending to a larger gap. my dad got back from vietnam. drove a dump truck while he went to school and my mom stayed home and we had two nice cars and a nice little house in a great part of town. that wouldn't happen today. not a chance in that same town.

This board is not real life. Do any of us on this board really strugggle? I am guessing no but i am gussing there are no landscape laborers or factory workers on this site. Its all college graduates and many with advanced degrees. College graduates make up like 35% of voting age americans. This board is simply a bubble. Go ask the same question off a college board and see the response. I know it would not get the response some want. Go to inner city indy and ask the question.

This board is not real life. Do any of us on this board really strugggle? I am guessing no but i am gussing there are no landscape laborers or factory workers on this site.
Of course.... half of the posters on here are lawyers.... just kidding but they do have a lot of representation. 🤣

If anyone in on here is invested in the market they are more than likely worse off financially than they were two years ago. That doesn't mean they have to make sacrifices now but may lead to sacrifices down the road. Personally I don't buy as many things as I used to and don't drive as much. Is that a sacrifice? To some that would be a sacrifice but to me it's just the way it is and I'll survive just fine.

Reactions: BCCHoosier

Prior to this administration, the answer to the question in your title by and large was no. Including the Obama and Trump administrations. From a family budget and planning perspective, the biggest change coming out of the Obama administration was healthcare. My premiums went up significantly and my “share” of paying for doctor visits for my family skyrocketed due to paying 100% of deductible. Was this insurmountable? No. We adjusted and adapted and due to low costs of core items such as gas, energy, food and financing rates, our household could absorb, adjust and adapt. The Trump administration continued with low core costs and our economy picked up significant steam, so it became “high times” allowing for bigger Christmases, eating out more, vacations, etc. In short, we were able to relax a little bit and spend on luxury items without the fear of going into debt and not being able to pay bills.

Since Biden came into office, the ability to loosen the proverbial belt when it comes to luxury items is gone. Savings are getting exhausted to compensate for lack of wage increases offsetting historical inflation. We have to watch every dollar we spend and in the event something unplanned happens, ie major health event leading to high medical bills, major house improvement item comes up, ie new AC unit, appliance, etc, we are in trouble. What we are experiencing right now with the Biden admin is just the tip of the iceberg. As interest rates continue to go up, hiring and investment in business will cool and at an accelerating rate. I do not believe costs of core items will go down to pre-pandemic levels as most of this is now imbedded into costs, specifically higher labor, insurance and energy.

So, long story short, yes, this administrations policies have drastically impacted my family. I resigned from a company I had been with for 23 years so I could get a higher paying job but with this new job, comes increased risk.

Candidly, anyone who thinks that historically high inflation is not or will not impact them are either independently wealthy, have little to no debt, live off the government and/or are in complete denial. Again, if anyone has not been impacted yet, strap yourself in, because ‘23 is going to be worse and it’s going to be difficult for awhile, IMHO. The world order has changed with supply chain woes. Let’s just hope this deal in Ukraine does not escalate.

I am happy for you that it has not impacted you adversely. However, for those families earning less than $250,000 household income per year, the majority are struggling and it’s only going to get worse before it begins to get better.

Last edited:
Of course.... half of the posters on here are lawyers.... just kidding but they do have a lot of representation. 🤣

If anyone in on here is invested in the market they are more than likely worse off financially than they were two years ago. That doesn't mean they have to make sacrifices now but may lead to sacrifices down the road. Personally I don't buy as many things as I used to and don't drive as much. Is that a sacrifice? To some that would be a sacrifice but to me it's just the way it is and I'll survive just fine.
Lawyers have it tough too. Some anyway. My crowd. My old partners are feeling it now and will again next year. Office rent, paralegals, advancing costs, they constantly have to be signing stuff up. Lockdowns are bad news for them. People sitting home on the couch aren’t in the world getting hurt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT