ADVERTISEMENT

Is the class completed?

Where do I start? I never said that IU didn't get even 1 DT in this class. I did say that the only DT they did receive a commit from who was closely rated next to Mullins was Harris. As for the OSU information on Ellison; it came straight from the Columbus Ohio Dispatch newspaper! Is that clue good enough? As for Tronti, Arizona jumped in at the last moment after one of their QB commits decommited. Also, I do not believe an offer from UConn is anything to jump up and down about; unless IU is trying to lower their standards. I am not enthused about IU's recruitment class being rated 60th in the country, nor should any true IU fan. They are, also, rated 13th in the Big Ten recruitment ratings! Who did IU beat out - PURDUE! Big Deal!! My apologies, though, to RBB89 on mentioning that Inge had left, when actually I meant to say Frey. Also, I believe that I did exaggerate things a bit when I said that this recruitment class would set the program back "quite a bit". What I should have said is that this class (in my opinion) does not move the needle forward, and move the program like I thought it would and should! I felt that after attending two bowls (even if they are minor) would be enough incentive to build off of, and bring in a better class than last year. I would like to be considered a positive force on this football forum, but sometimes we have to take the bitter with the sweet. Personally, I attended the 1968 Rose Bowl with Johnny Pont's team, so I know what it's like to suffer. No, I am not a moron, and do not appreciate being called one. Let's be careful how we address each other!

Per the Hoosier Scoop website:

"For instance, IU’s 2012 class was ranked as low as No. 71 by Rivals. That class turned out to produce three All-Americans in running back Tevin Coleman, left tackle Jason Spriggs and guard Dan Feeney."

In other words, don't take the ratings so seriously.

Also, paragraphs are your friends.....

Game set match.
At least he's an IU football fan w

"For instance, IU’s 2012 class was ranked as low as No. 71 by Rivals. That class turned out to produce three All-Americans in running back Tevin Coleman, left tackle Jason Spriggs and guard Dan Feeney."

And yet those rankings are generally very predictive of how teams compete and finish in any given year, so ignoring them makes little sense.

Its predictive for the top 10-15 teams, after that recruit rankings don't mean all that much
The results on the field don't support that at all. The rankings are very predictive, though iu has played slightly above them. But dismissing them as meaningless makes no sense.

The results on the field don't support that at all. The rankings are very predictive, though iu has played slightly above them. But dismissing them as meaningless makes no sense.

Posted this in another thread a few weeks ago but its worth reposting

First image is 4 year BCS rank vs 4 yr recruit rank for power 5 teams, there is a SLIGHT trend for recruit ranking from, but R-square of 0.36 is pretty poor

second image is the same data minus the top 10 ranked recruiting teams, and R-square falls to 0.22 which means almost no correlation

Really all this shows is that teams that recruit at an elite level are unlikely to have a bad year, but beyond that recruiting rankings don't mean all that much.

data from http://deadspin.com/chart-which-ncaa-football-teams-outplay-their-recruit-1640831522

First image is 4 year BCS rank vs 4 yr recruit rank for power 5 teams, there is a SLIGHT trend for recruit ranking from, but R-square of 0.36 is pretty poor

second image is the same data minus the top 10 ranked recruiting teams, and R-square falls to 0.22 which means almost no correlation

Really all this shows is that teams that recruit at an elite level are unlikely to have a bad year, but beyond that recruiting rankings don't mean all that much.

data from http://deadspin.com/chart-which-ncaa-football-teams-outplay-their-recruit-1640831522

This might not be the best or most representative way to show the relationship, or lack thereof, but it definitely indicates that its not as cut and dry as you make it out to be

Reactions: 10yrProject

So, if iu recruited in the 30's from a ranking standpoint, they'd still struggle to get to .500 every year? That seems highly unlikely.

I get managing expectations, but higher ranked classes have been toasted among iu football fans in previous years while lower ranked ones have been rationalized. This year falls into that latter category, just as higher ones in the future will be touted for their ranking.

There are plenty of good reasons why this year's class came up short, starting with an unexpected coaching change followed by the nearly complete turnover of the offensive staff. But the results on the field are generally reflective of the caliber of recruits brought in, and this year iu is near the bottom of the Big 10 and P5.

This might not be the best or most representative way to show the relationship, or lack thereof, but it definitely indicates that its not as cut and dry as you make it out to be
Never once claimed it was "cut and dry", but it's undoubtedly predictive. Will be interesting to see how this class fits with the previous ones.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I am very disappointed with the commits to this year's class at Indiana. With the success that they have had over the past two years, I really expected much more from this year's recruiting class! Way too many 2-star athletes in the class, and the loss of Mullins REALLY hurts. They really needed a top flight RB, QB and DT in this class, and did not get one! So far I haven't seen any of that in this class anyway. I am afraid that this class coming in (2017) sets the program back quite a bit!!
Please take Bobsnutjob and go back to the Purdue Board.....They area also celebrating 2 star signings!

Reactions: YOTHN
Tapping out makes great sense for you. Too bad others aren't wise enough to either talk sports or fade away.

The same could be said of you. You spend more time antagonizing others than actually talking sports. And when you are taking sports, you are only chiming in to take a contrarian position. People post here because they like doing so. And the only way that I can comprehend that you enjoy what you are doing is if you are either a narcissist or a troll that likes getting a rise out of people.

Reactions: muubell and YOTHN
The same could be said of you. You spend more time antagonizing others than actually talking sports. And when you are taking sports, you are only chiming in to take a contrarian position. People post here because they like doing so. And the only way that I can comprehend that you enjoy what you are doing is if you are either a narcissist or a troll that likes getting a rise out of people.
So it would be better if I simply went along with the crowd regardless of any other facts or circumstances? It's antagonizing to have a different viewpoint? I like talking IU football, but I've never liked so much that I'm willing to ignore facts or gloss over rough spots. If you feel differently, that's fine.

So it would be better if I simply went along with the crowd regardless of any other facts or circumstances? It's antagonizing to have a different viewpoint? I like talking IU football, but I've never liked so much that I'm willing to ignore facts or gloss over rough spots. If you feel differently, that's fine.

You like talking IU football, ok, but with no one here talking about IU football the way you want, and you never seemingly having the conversations you want, I have to ask why do you spend so much time here

Disguising attacking other posters as "talking Football" is simply a laughable false narrative. This nonsense got him banned no less than five times before. The current mods have clearly a more liberal wild Wild West approach to the forums for whatever reason so we either ignore the garbage or join the fray.

Ord v 9.0 reminds me of Monty Python's Knight who Says Ni guarding the bridge defiantly claiming victory despite having both arms and both legs chopped off. This guy gets regularly manhandled so badly here but seems to thrive on it. He is taking the forums down the tubes with him.

You like talking IU football, ok, but with no one here talking about IU football the way you want, and you never seemingly having the conversations you want, I have to ask why do you spend so much time here
Where did I say there was no one here talking football or having conversations the way I want? If somebody says something that's either factually inaccurate or not well conceived, I say so. Otherwise, it's all good. There are some people who must like to play hall monitor here, but t that's their problem. Hopefully, they wear out since they seem to have nothing to say about iu football.

Disguising attacking other posters as "talking Football" is simply a laughable false narrative. This nonsense got him banned no less than five times before. The current mods have clearly a more liberal wild Wild West approach to the forums for whatever reason so we either ignore the garbage or join the fray.

Ord v 9.0 reminds me of Monty Python's Knight who Says Ni guarding the bridge defiantly claiming victory despite having both arms and both legs chopped off. This guy gets regularly manhandled so badly here but seems to thrive on it. He is taking the forums down the tubes with him.

This is exactly why I have her on ignore. She makes it so obvious that she's the same person because her arguments are the same. She will find ways to oppose statements that deep down she originally agreed with but was able to talk her way into finding something within that agreement that she can disagree with...then hammer away at trying to make the thread about something it wasn't originated to be while putting other posters down. The same thing plays out in all of the threads she posts on.

Reactions: DANC and JohnsyRick

Any chance you'll ever want to talk sports or are you going to just keep stalking?

Where did I say there was no one here talking football or having conversations the way I want? If somebody says something that's either factually inaccurate or not well conceived, I say so. Otherwise, it's all good. There are some people who must like to play hall monitor here, but t that's their problem.

But that is literally the only time you post, to call out people you think are factually inaccurate. In that regard, the purpose with which you have endowed yourself is hall monitor

But that is literally the only time you post, to call out people you think are factually inaccurate. In that regard, the purpose with which you have endowed yourself is hall monitor
Actually, that's not literally the only time I ever post. In fact, it's far from it. In the last few days, I responded to a thread regarding Quinn Buckner stating that he played two years of football at , rather than one. No snark, no criticism, just a clarification of his football career at iu.

The response to that was an all out attack, albeit indirect via other posters, about how I'd learned of this on Wikipedia, that I'd never seen Buckner play, that I'd never set foot on the IU campus, etc. This is very much par for the course with this poster, and he engaged in similar behavior in at least one other thread. Of course, he then says I'm taking down the board.

So, how does that make me the hall monitor? And how does offering a different opinion than the glowing views of IU's 60 something rated recruiting class make me the hall monitor?

Interested in your response. Thanks.

Actually, that's not literally the only time I ever post. In fact, it's far from it. In the last few days, I responded to a thread regarding Quinn Buckner stating that he played two years of football at , rather than one. No snark, no criticism, just a clarification of his football career at iu.

The response to that was an all out attack, albeit indirect via other posters, about how I'd learned of this on Wikipedia, that I'd never seen Buckner play, that I'd never set foot on the IU campus, etc. This is very much par for the course with this poster, and he engaged in similar behavior in at least one other thread. Of course, he then says I'm taking down the board.

So, how does that make me the hall monitor? And how does offering a different opinion than the glowing views of IU's 60 something rated recruiting class make me the hall monitor?

Interested in your response. Thanks.
No one gave "glowing" views of our class, and you know it, you want to talk facts ? Please point out the glowing views, I'll be waiting, but instead you'll attack and deflect. Because a poster stated our class would "set the program back quite a bit", people took exception to it, rightfully so.That is hardly giving the class "glowing" views. You jumped in to defend the post about setting us back , and yet, you stated in a post that you don't feel that way, which is it ? Your personalities and posts are schizophrenic.
Still waiting for you to point out ANY positives or does IU football have none , as your posts suggest.

No one gave "glowing" views of our class, and you know it, you want to talk facts ? Please point out the glowing views, I'll be waiting, but instead you'll attack and deflect. Because a poster stated our class would "set the program back quite a bit", people took exception to it, rightfully so.That is hardly giving the class "glowing" views. You jumped in to defend the post about setting us back , and yet, you stated in a post that you don't feel that way, which is it ? Your personalities and posts are schizophrenic.
Still waiting for you to point out ANY positives or does IU football have none , as your posts suggest.
I jumped in because that poster's view was immediately dismissed as invalid, in spite of the glowing reviews you and others have for it. I didn't agree with the "set it back" comments and I've told you that repeatedly, y t you continue to falsely state that I did and even call me schizophrenic. Hard to take you seriously when you keep doing stuff like that..

I jumped in because that poster's view was immediately dismissed as invalid, in spite of the glowing reviews you and others have for it. I didn't agree with the "set it back" comments and I've told you that repeatedly, y t you continue to falsely state that I did and even call me schizophrenic. Hard to take you seriously when you keep doing stuff like that..
You do realize no one here takes you seriously right ? Most have you on ignore, the rest are making some attempt at rehabilitation, but it becomes clearer with every post that you are beyond that.
The poster's view of this class setting us back should have been dismissed as invalid because IT WAS ridiculous, and you jumping in to defend it just exemplifies your obvious anti IU bias.
Oh, and still waiting for examples of "glowing" reviews......

good point!

I've already rectified my over exaggeration! Get over it!

247 bumped Tronti up to the #15 DT QB in the country. Don't want him though; Rivals didn't give him enough stars.

/s
I sincerely hope that he turns out well for IU! By the way, how would you judge a high school player without rating services or any personal knowledge? Just asking.......

You do realize no one here takes you seriously right ? Most have you on ignore, the rest are making some attempt at rehabilitation, but it becomes clearer with every post that you are beyond that.
The poster's view of this class setting us back should have been dismissed as invalid because IT WAS ridiculous, and you jumping in to defend it just exemplifies your obvious anti IU bias.
Oh, and still waiting for examples of "glowing" reviews......
So please tell us why a class that, based on ratings, is lower than any IU class in the last 6 or 7 years, either advances the program or at least steadies it. Why wouldn't a low rated class set the program back somewhat? And whom did IU best in Big 10 recruiting this year? If you want to turn around the view that you're not knowledgeable about iu football, quit the name calling and try to offer something / anything to back up your viewpoint.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT